PDA

View Full Version : Supercorsas...

bugjuice
15th February 2005, 12:42
how good are they, and how long will they last? I've found a rear tyre to replace mine going fairly cheap, which I was thinking of getting, but I don't want a super soft tyre that's going to last a 1000ks. I do a fair amount of commuting, but that's been cut back, so it's starting to become more weekend riding.
Also, the sides of the tyre don't seem to have too much tread there, more just a solid face. How well do they work in the wet? They look more like barely road legal slicks actually..

Cajun
15th February 2005, 12:50
how good are they, and how long will they last? I've found a rear tyre to replace mine going fairly cheap, which I was thinking of getting, but I don't want a super soft tyre that's going to last a 1000ks. I do a fair amount of commuting, but that's been cut back, so it's starting to become more weekend riding.
Also, the sides of the tyre don't seem to have too much tread there, more just a solid face. How well do they work in the wet? They look more like barely road legal slicks actually..

OKay i got 3000kms out of my supercorsa's sc1(softest you could get), and then in turn on sold them to Motoracer. i had previouslly only got 5000 out of the rear bridgestone 014

one of those was a nice long trip to wellington and back, and i do alot of communting on my bike, and that point of time it was 25kms to work straight roads the whole way with maybe 3 corners. they were a good tyre wet or dry, my problem with them is they were very twichy mid corner, unless you are total cranked over, which for most of us, isn't a great deal.

White trash
15th February 2005, 13:30
Get raceteks. $535 a pair.

Make Pirrellis look like slime tyres.

Hoon
15th February 2005, 13:34
You talking the Dragons or Diablo supercorsas? Dragons are a race compound and need a lot of heat to reach optimum temperature (unlikely on the street). The Diablos are your track/street mix and offer great grip from the get go.

bugjuice
15th February 2005, 13:40
the discription just says 'Pirelli Supercorsa Rear tyre sc1 compound'

bugger it, here's the link. Not sure if I'm going to bid on them, cos by the time it's paid to ship up to Auckland, it'll cost a heap more, so I don't think I'll go for them, but I am looking for replacement rear for the bike..

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=22609493

White trash
15th February 2005, 13:43
SC1 is too soft for road use.

Forget it, I can get you an RS2 Racetek for the same price.

bugjuice
15th February 2005, 13:46
was thinking it'd be a bit soft for the road..
Would have thought the best would be a med-hard compound, wouldn't it? last in the traffic, but warm up on the twisties..?

Raceteks good then?

White trash
15th February 2005, 14:39
was thinking it'd be a bit soft for the road..
Would have thought the best would be a med-hard compound, wouldn't it? last in the traffic, but warm up on the twisties..?

Raceteks good then?

Raceteks are the business. The thou' chews 'em up pretty quick, but that's the price you pay.

There is nothing short of a slick that will give the grip at the edge. Unless it's raining and standing water is in your chosen path.

Then, they're pants.

bugjuice
15th February 2005, 14:49
Raceteks are the business. The thou' chews 'em up pretty quick, but that's the price you pay.

There is nothing short of a slick that will give the grip at the edge. Unless it's raining and standing water is in your chosen path.

Then, they're pants.
well I'm on a 6, so it should make them last a little longer..

If I had a spare rim, I'd buy a 'dry' and a 'wet' tyre, but then I probably couldn't be arsed to be changing them all the time.. unless I get a 'weekend' and a 'regular' tyre.. hmmmmm....

Anyhoo, I can't avoid the puddles if it's rainin poodles.. so has to be a fair 'all-rounder', else I'll be payin for more than a rear tyre..

White trash
15th February 2005, 14:56
Well "yes" and "no".

I commute every day on the 1K and it's sweet as in the rain. I mean, who the fuck rides fast in the rain anyway?

Supercorsa will be ecactly the same for wet weather use.

bugjuice
15th February 2005, 15:15
I know you ride slower in the rain, but by the looks on that pic on trademe, there's no grip at all. It's hard to see in that shot how far over the tyre you'd probably go in the rain, but you'd have to assume at least 80%, which would put you onto that slick bit. If there's any standing water, doesn't look like you'd stand much of a chance..
That's the main area of concern.. at the moment, with these anyway.
I've got Battlaxe 020s on the back at the moment (I think) which have some grip in the wet, but go fairly well in the heat too.. Those or better would suit me fine.. Altho I've seen Battlaxes loose the tread on the tyre. I saw one off a Busa which have tennis-ball-size lumps off it in regular spots. That's been stuck in my mind since I've had these, which isn't nice..

Motoracer
15th February 2005, 15:17
Hey man. My 2c worth:

Racetecs are the shit as far as road-racing tires go. If you want more stick than racetecs, you'll be talking about slicks. They wear out beautifully as well. I can't belive the technology of today is so advance to bring out a tire like this. If you are getting a set, get K2 which is Medium for the rear and K1 which is Soft for the front. There is K0 which is supersoft but I wouldn't touch them if I was you, for the road, for summer.

And that brings out another issue, since it is summer, you don't really want something as sticky as Racetecs for the road anyway. They are awesome for winter times when you require higher levels of grip for the cooler conditions.

My recomendation to you after seeing, how you ride, where you ride and what you ride for the tempreture and weather conditions that we have at the moment would be Sporttecs M1. They are the road version of Racetecs. They will still have enough stick/grip for you for the road. Also they will give you better milage than the racetecs. Even if you get Roadtec Z6 which is a sports touring tire you wouldn't have any problems for summer since the roads are already nice and hot (although probably a bit too hot at times).

So here's a summary.

Racetec - For track use or very hard and fast riding on the road during the winter.
Sporttec - Good alrounder, IMO the best road tires out there. Can be used for good fast riding on the track or the road during both summer and winter.
Roadtec - Good if you clock up a lot of milage commuting and if you are riding fast during hot conditions.

Coldkiwi
16th February 2005, 11:47
but if you're on a budget and can get the supercorsa really cheap, don't be too afraid of it. I'm using a cheap ex race pair of Sc1's on the gixxer and while they do take a while to start warming on the street, they do have some grip until then (not true slime tyres like D207s). Once they're warm however, they're bloody brilliant.
I have previously used a supercorsa (think it was an SC3 grade) on my 97 ZX6 in the hosing rain and really didn't find it a problem making good progress on the open road.

I guess you want to be careful of any stickly tyre on the rear without a corresponding mate on the front. WT and other more experienced types can probably give you pointers on matching hoops but I THINK a sticky rear end and a harder front might cause problems (?)

Mr Skid
16th February 2005, 12:03
I guess you want to be careful of any stickly tyre on the rear without a corresponding mate on the front. WT and other more experienced types can probably give you pointers on matching hoops but I THINK a sticky rear end and a harder front might cause problems (?)

I've understood the reasoning behind a stickier front tire in relation to the rear, as well as giving more consistent wear rates on a matched set, is so that at the limit, the rear will break away before the front. The idea being that a rear slide is easier to control than a front end slide.

bugjuice
16th February 2005, 12:23
I'll find out specifically what I have on the front, but I'm fairly sure they're Battlaxes too, but not sure on the numbers.
Tis true about them being a good match tho.. I'd rather have neither slide out on me, but I'd want to know that I can lean both front and rear tyres into a hard corner and know that they both can handle the pressure equally.. well, to a degree. I know eventually one will give up, and that it depends on circumstances etc.. but you know what I mean

Drunken Monkey
16th February 2005, 12:24
You might even find the Diablo Corsa's good enough - not quite as sticky as a supercorsa, and tread pretty much all the way to the edge. Sticky enough for the way I ride and what I ride, and I don't have a problem with them on track days either, but I'm not as quick/serious as some of these other fellas.

Coldkiwi
16th February 2005, 17:05
I've understood the reasoning behind a stickier front tire in relation to the rear, as well as giving more consistent wear rates on a matched set, is so that at the limit, the rear will break away before the front. The idea being that a rear slide is easier to control than a front end slide.

That could be it. A front end slide in a corner is pretty much 'good night nurse' for anyone (aye jono?).

Funkyfly
16th February 2005, 17:34
Im looking at either a sportec m1 for the rear or a diablo.

I dont commute a lot, do a fair bit of touring on straight roads but realy like to have a blast thru some twistys.

My dragon supercorsa on the rear is poked, the front is fine, any problems mixing it with a M1?

Cheers

750Y
17th February 2005, 06:12

I dont commute a lot, do a fair bit of touring on straight roads but realy like to have a blast thru some twistys.

My dragon supercorsa on the rear is poked, the front is fine, any problems mixing it with a M1?

Cheers

none i can think of except maybe the diablo would share more in common with the front (being a pirelli etc) & perhaps compliment the sc nicer. I'm just thinking aloud.(profile design etc etc)

White trash
17th February 2005, 06:39

What, and you don't think the tyre manufacturers have considered this when designing matching pairs of tyres?

JohnBoy
28th February 2005, 20:42
interesting... i have looked at the race techs but were never really convinced. was thinking about giving the mich pilot power's a go, but haven't heard much about em... have any out there tried them?

Cajun
28th February 2005, 21:01
interesting... i have looked at the race techs but were never really convinced. was thinking about giving the mich pilot power's a go, but haven't heard much about em... have any out there tried them?

i have the powers on now down well over 6000kms on the rear including one track day, at taupo,
Bloody great tire, but i am a bit bais when it comes to michelins. One thing i did notice they didn't like the psi dropping down, starting get all slippy, stick like pigs to a blanket wet dry.

I got mine at a good price $400 fitting front & rear,

since my rear bridgestone only lasted me 5000km before that was shagged, i am happy with these, i do alot of communting on the bike, and have handled everything i have thrown at them, i did get them pluged in the second week i had them, i have also pulled a nice big bit of glass out of them and still going strong.

I would recommond them to anyone. i did have a set of supercorsas on the bike between the brigdestone and michelins, great tire, but not very good unless you are pushing hard everywhere, and well lets face it there is like 1 in 1000 of us that really can do that well.

Sensei
1st March 2005, 16:07
Have M1 on the front & Whitetrashes Z6 he sold me on the back which has done 4200k so far & looks like it will do 2500k more Hooks up great on the GSXR1000
SENSEI

mouldy
1st March 2005, 17:18

Cheersno real problems ,just take it easy till the front warms up. For road use you are better off staying away from race rubber like super corsas and using road rubber like M1s etc. All modern brand name rubber street sport tyres have more than adequate grip for 99% of riders on the road. If you can outride any of the modern rubber get a race licence cos your as good as Rossi et al :done:

mouldy
1st March 2005, 17:20
none i can think of except maybe the diablo would share more in common with the front (being a pirelli etc) & perhaps compliment the sc nicer. I'm just thinking aloud.(profile design etc etc)
pirrelli,metzler ,same shit different bucket :spudwhat:

mouldy
1st March 2005, 17:25
Well "yes" and "no".

I commute every day on the 1K and it's sweet as in the rain. I mean, who the fuck rides fast in the rain anyway?

Supercorsa will be ecactly the same for wet weather use.
i do, crashed the blade twice now cos tyres are so good but our roads are crap .Racetechs rock in the dry / like more tread in the rain :done:

bugjuice
8th March 2005, 18:34
SC1 is too soft for road use.

Forget it, I can get you an RS2 Racetek for the same price.
are SC2s any better? What's the range of numbers here..?? Also, is the SC scale just to do with these tyres, or do all bike tyres run the same scale?

Two Smoker
8th March 2005, 18:39
are SC2s any better? What's the range of numbers here..?? Also, is the SC scale just to do with these tyres, or do all bike tyres run the same scale?

SC is just to do with Pirelli... Metzler has the RS scale for Rennsports and the K scale for Racetechs...

Hey WT, gimme a yell when race techs come out in 160's....

Krusti
8th March 2005, 18:58
Had Dragons on the Z1000 when I bought it. Stuck like shit to a blanket WHEN they warmed up but I had major worries about the lack of tread on the sides. Crawled around bends in the wet (shit scared I was)

Very steep profile as well.

Just put new tyres on...Pilot sport on front and Pilot Road on back. I love them. Bike lays into corners alot smoother and no problems with grip. See how they go long term.

Had to put some new tyres on anyways....Sth Island trip...Z1000 will look like a truck...pack on rack, tank bag and two up joy joy joy. Poor girl.

Wont worry the old girl tho she pulls like a Catholic school boy. Kawasaki rules!