PDA

View Full Version : Rimutaka Hill/Featherston Pylon Track ride Mon 29/12?

Paladin
28th December 2008, 14:20
Any of you guys in the Welly area fancy a ride up over the Rimutaka Hill to have a ride up on the pylon tracks at the bottom of the north side of the Hill/south of Featherston tomorrow (Monday 29/12)?

I've gotta drop my kids somewhere around 9am ish but could gear up and head out after that; certainly 11am at the Rimutaka Caltex should be a safe bet.

Any takers?

marks
28th December 2008, 20:49
Hi Dave

I would be keen to come but I spent all day trail riding and I will be a walking wreck tomorrow

would certainly be keen to go another time though

I think everyone else is away.....

if you do go take lots of photos or the ride doesn't count.

cheers

Mark

Aslan
28th December 2008, 21:35
sorry Dave I'm committed with family visiting from Aus till after the DB. cheers S :cool:

Paladin
28th December 2008, 22:12
Hi Dave

I would be keen to come but I spent all day trail riding and I will be a walking wreck tomorrow

would certainly be keen to go another time though

I think everyone else is away.....

if you do go take lots of photos or the ride doesn't count.

cheers

Mark

sorry Dave I'm committed with family visiting from Aus till after the DB. cheers S :cool:

Thanks for replying guys, shame you can't make it but I'm sure we'll all be up that way another time soon!

Yes Mark, I'll take a few pics if I go! :oi-grr: Cheeky!!

Paladin
29th December 2008, 16:26
OK so I decided to head off to the pylon tracks on my own today. I know Marks and Buggs have both said it's very stoney and rutted up there but I just thought I'd go for it - the only way to stop being an offroad novice is to try stuff, right?!

For those not sure exactly where this access is: coming down off the north side of the Rimutka Hill when near the bottom you will take a swinging left hander over a bridge, then in front of you is a "MoreFM" sign and a "55kph" yellow caution road sign. Immediately before those 2 signs on the LHS are the concrete blocks just after the bridge.

The little KLX loved the climb up the tracks and handled the rocks, stones and ruts just fine on the D605's; it was great fun climbing up that stuff! The track is easy for maybe a quarter-third of the way, then you come to a junction with 3 tracks in front of you. If you take the right hand track you then start climbing the gnarly stuff - much bigger rocks and ruts from here to the top! Once you get to the top though it's a pleasant surprise as all of a sudden you are running under the trees in the shade on a really nice track. This was a godsend today as it was hot as hell! There's some fun up & downs and turns before finally hitting the locked gate. The track then ends about 100m further on at pylon 151 up on top of the ridge line if you go left past the locked gate. You can see the track behind the locked gate snaking away down to the valley below, which I guess is the Kaitoke Regional Park area(?). It looks like fun, shame you can't get down there - the gap at the side of the gate isn't even wide enough to sneak through even if you wanted to wing it!
Explored a couple of side tracks on the return trip - both dead ended at pylons - shame, was hoping to find a super nice easy track back down LOL! So back down the gnarly stuff it had to be, pretty challenging for me until getting to the triple track junction. Definitely a few clenching moments! Not too proud to admit I bulldogged some of the more challenging stuff on the decent, but heh I got down unscathed with no damage to me or the bike and no dropping of the bike, which was great for my confidence I guess. I was however soaked with sweat, man it was hot going!!!

So all in all the climb up and the track along the ridge line are great fun but it's pretty challenging coming down the top section on the return trip!

Here's some pics (just for Mark!!!!) :D

1. Here's the access, sneak around the concrete blocks on the LHS.
2. The easy part is now finished - head right at this junction!
3. The track is getting more interesting & gnarlier now!
4. But the views are improving - Rimutaka Hill road and Lake Wairarapa!

Paladin
29th December 2008, 16:29
And some more pics:

1. Heading into the tree cover on the ridge line - shade :woohoo: !!!
2. Locked gate! :weep:
3. View SW towards Cook Strait & SI from the top!
4. The end of the road - pylon 151.

Paladin
29th December 2008, 16:35
And the last few piccies on the return trip!

1. Heading back that way along ridge to the lovely cool shaded area!
2. This right hand turn dead ends at a pylon.
3. Heaven help me! The decent into the gnarly section is beginning! :sweatdrop:

Sorry for no pics at the very start of the track after the concrete blocks but the track was so much fun I just forgot to stop! :woohoo:

Balrog
29th December 2008, 16:48
Nice pics Dave :cool:
That track along the top is great, I spooked a deer going along there last time.
I think its private land at the end of the gate, not 100% sure though.

Jim

Paladin
29th December 2008, 16:53
Nice pics Dave :cool:
That track along the top is great, I spooked a deer going along there last time.
I think its private land at the end of the gate, not 100% sure though.

Jim

Thx Jim! Yeah I loved the ride along the top section, god that shade felt nice after the climb up! How'd you like the ride back down on the Beemer?

Aslan
29th December 2008, 17:27
nice pics and account Dave - good onya for tackling the track - c u in 2009 :sleep:

marks
29th December 2008, 17:37
great pics :Punk:

glad you got down in one piece - binning on those stones could be painful

you certainly weren't the only one to do a bit of clenching going down.

you wanna do Oldins Rd sometime over the next couple of days?

Paladin
29th December 2008, 17:41
nice pics and account Dave - good onya for tackling the track - c u in 2009 :sleep:

Thx mate, c u soon!

Eddieb
29th December 2008, 22:15
Sweet pics Dave. I've been up there but not that far. The Kaitoke side comes down on private farm land, I've been to see the farmer in person but he's not interested in allowing access.

Paladin
29th December 2008, 22:28
Sweet pics Dave. I've been up there but not that far. The Kaitoke side comes down on private farm land, I've been to see the farmer in person but he's not interested in allowing access.

Cheers Eddie! Shame on that farmer, how dare he!!! :rolleyes: That track looks like fun too! Plus it would be SO nice to head up there from the Featherston side and out on a loop on the Kaitoke side! Ya never know maybe things will change down the road!

Paladin
29th December 2008, 22:53
great pics :Punk:

glad you got down in one piece - binning on those stones could be painful

you certainly weren't the only one to do a bit of clenching going down.

you wanna do Oldins Rd sometime over the next couple of days?

Cheers Mark! Yeah rather glad I didn't bin it on the sections with those ruts and big stones - ouch!

I'd love to go up Odlins Road sometime but I can't do next couple of days, am on kiddie duties I'm afraid! Appreciate the offer though!

Balrog
29th December 2008, 23:49
... How'd you like the ride back down on the Beemer?

I'd only had the bike a week & I didn't know what I was doing
So I was crapping myself on the way down. :shit:
(crapping stage two, stage one started with I realised that I might have to ride back down what I was riding up )

First I had to work out that going quicker made it eaiser.
Then I had to grow a bigger set to pry my hand off the brake.
After that I was just left with a death grip on the bars, and a total paranoia about dropping the bike and not being able to pick it up by myself.

A most excellent introduction to adventure riding :2thumbsup

marks
30th December 2008, 07:57
I'd love to go up Odlins Road sometime but I can't do next couple of days, am on kiddie duties I'm afraid! Appreciate the offer though!

well let me know when you can - I'll take my 230 and we can explore the nasty side tracks.

(crapping stage two, stage one started with I realised that I might have to ride back down what I was riding up )

After that I was just left with a death grip on the bars, and a total paranoia about dropping the bike and not being able to pick it up by myself.

feck - I wouldn't want to ride down that on a maiden voyage of a step through let alone a big mother whale.

hows the shin?

Paladin
30th December 2008, 08:32

Haha, some of that all sounds rather too familiar!!! :eek:

Balrog
30th December 2008, 11:11
... hows the shin?

Getting there, went for a short ride around the block yesterday :woohoo:
At least it doesn't have to be elevated all the time now.

:D

Paladin
30th December 2008, 15:06
Getting there, went for a short ride around the block yesterday :woohoo:
At least it doesn't have to be elevated all the time now.

:D

Should make Fairy's New Year more enjoyable then! :yes:

Glad you're on the mend mate!