PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning exhaust baffles

ZK-Awesome
29th December 2008, 09:38
Hi, my bikes exhaust baffle is gunged up with carbon, its a 2-stroke so its pretty bad. Would a soak in petrol do the trick? Or kerosene?

Edit: I gave it a good soak in petrol followed by a scrape with a screwdriver and its looking a bit better now. Only problem is, I now have a litre or so container of very dirty petrol - what do I do with it?? (being the environmentally friendly guy that I am)

Chooky
29th December 2008, 19:34
Hi, my bikes exhaust baffle is gunged up with carbon, its a 2-stroke so its pretty bad. Would a soak in petrol do the trick? Or kerosene?

Edit: I gave it a good soak in petrol followed by a scrape with a screwdriver and its looking a bit better now. Only problem is, I now have a litre or so container of very dirty petrol - what do I do with it?? (being the environmentally friendly guy that I am)

If you got the baffle out,heat it with a blow torch, that'll burn the carbon of it.....as for the dirty petrol..tip it on the concrete driveway,it'll soon evaporate......:yes:

AllanB
29th December 2008, 19:37
In the old days, blue-smokers used to ride to a rally, pull the baffles out, hoon around a bit doing permanent damage to peoples ears (we loved it) then throw the baffles on the fire to burn the shit out.

Appeared to work too!

rudolph
29th December 2008, 19:38
I have a special cleaning kiln for 2 stroke exhausts, 40 bucks and I will bake it cleen.

rok-the-boat
30th December 2008, 21:29
Fill the pipe with caustic soda and leave it a few hours. Use a potato to block the end.

Kiwi Graham
31st December 2008, 06:44
Fill the pipe with caustic soda and leave it a few hours. Use a potato to block the end.

Wot RTB said caustic soda. if you can get the pipe of bung one end and fill it withcaustic and warm water and leave it for as long as you can. Job done.........fuck that takes me back a while.