PDA

View Full Version : My experience - importing a used bike from the USA

longwayfromhome
29th December 2008, 16:02
So, here is my experience....I moved back to NZ from the US recently and brought back my 2000 BMW K1200LT. Some relevant starting facts:
1. The bike has been owned by me from new. This is important in determining how much GST is payable and if GST is to be paid at all.
2. I was coming to NZ to live here, not as a visitor. This is important in determining what is required to get the bike on the road.
3. The bike was unpacked from its container in Dunedin and I live in Auckland.

Here is what I had to do to get the bike on the road legally/permanently.
1. Get the bike to the shipping agent in suburban LA. The bike took some 6 weeks to get to NZ from drop-off in LA.
2. Have an original title in my name, my passport and current registration in my name available for the agent. I also found the original bill of sale which proved to be necessary later in NZ. The shipper kept the original title and took a copy of my passport and rego (I am not sure the rego was absolutely necessary).
3. NOTE: I didn't get the bike insured for the trip. It would not have been covered by my normal US bike insurance.
4. On arrival in NZ, the agent arranged Customs and MAF clearance. Here “arranged” means that he contacted them, they came to where the bike was sitting and he facilitated email exchanges between me and Customs. This included:
a. Customs: Ownership – confirmed with the CA Title and the rego.
b. Customs: Length of Ownership – confirmed with original Bill of Sale and Finance Release letter from BMW Finance.
c. Customs: Determination of amount of GST to pay (more about this below).
d. MAF: Inspection and possible cleaning. As it was, the bike was clean enough and didn’t need a subsequent (expensive) MAF-arranged cleanup.
5. I had been led to understand that after the bike has been yours for a given number of years, then no GST is payable on an import. My experience is that they do in fact value the bike at current value, calculate what GST would be on this then, if you are over the # years, make you sign a deed that states if the bike is resold in NZ within a certain period (mine is 18 months I think), then the GST is due. This is a bit different to advice given by others. In the end I signed an undertaking that if I sold the bike within 18 months of my return, then I would have to pay approx $1800 in GST (I don’t have the exact amount with me as I write). I went into Customs in Auckland and signed the form, they faxed to Dunedin (where the bike was) and this released the bike from MAF and Customs.
6. I had hoped to pick up the bike from the agent in Dunedin, but this was thwarted by the following: If you are a visitor to the country you can ride the bike away (there is some paperwork I am sure, but I don’t know what it is), but if you are a resident, then the bike has to be Rego’ed and WOF’ed before riding on public roads. In order to get that you have to undertake Compliance which is added work as well. All three of these are done at a DMV and Inspection Station (not all inspection stations are capable of motorcycle inspections evidently).
7. What stopped me doing all this in Dunedin was that the headlight had to be changed (so it dips the other way) and their being no BMW dealer in Dunedin etc etc I decided in the end to have it shipped to the BMW dealer in Auckland. He undertook to arrange the shipping, change of headlight, and getting the bike thru Compliance/Rego/WOF. This he did most competently.
8. Eventually, I picked up the bike from the Auckland BMW dealer, fully road-ready and legal some 9 weeks after I dropped the bike off in LA.

Costs to do this (incl GST/taxes) were:
Shipping LA-to-Dunedin, including all clearances at both ends: US$ 700./ NZ$1220
Shipping Dunedin-to-AKL: NZ$ 650
New headlight: NZ$ 930
Compliance/WOF: NZ$ 200
Rego + initial paperwork NZ$ 330
Dealer Labour to do all aspects of the above: NZ$ 270
Total NZ$ NZ$ 3600

Who I dealt with:

USA-Dunedin Shipping: Contact= Robert Stevens at imperialfreight@msn.com
Robbie is well known to many travelers bringing bikes to NZ. He was SO easy to deal with and everything went exactly as he described. The drop off in LA was amazingly easy, quick and straightforward. Mine is a large touring bike…regular sports bikes are about US$500 for the trip. He only brings them into Dunedin, no other port. The container actually comes in via Auckland, but it doesn’t get unpacked until Dunedin, so no other options. Most highly recommended. Thanks Robbie.

Experience BMW Motorcycles: Contact= Sebastian at +64 9 8455950.
Sebastian, their Service Manager, was excellent to deal with, took it all in hand, knew the ins-and-outs and got everything done as and when promised. As well he is an experienced LT mechanic himself, so the extra confidence that gave me was a plus. This was a good start to an important relationship since there is only one BMW Dealer in NZ these days. Thanks Sebastian.

Would I do anything different…..
1. People have suggested its not worthwhile bringing in a “different” bike like an LT, especially with over 200k km on it. But as I would have got very little in the US for the bike…lets say US$3k in a forced sale….I am reckoning I have a nice tidy bike here, on the road for about NZ9,000, one I know the full working history of, running beautifully and one that is fitted out with all the extras (like Wilbers suspension etc) that would cost a packet to do here. So, I think I at least broke even on the project.
2. I could perhaps have gotten dealers plates on the bike and ridden up from Dunedin….I didn’t explore this as I forgot to for some reason after someone made the suggestion, but I am wondering if a dealer who I had no transactional history with would have been willing to do this anyway.
3. I should have got my speedo which reads 5mph high converted to be dead accurate before I came over…its tricky doing maths (mph-to-km + overage) in your head as you are leant over in a corner with an eye out for cops.

Timings:
1. USA-Dunedin: 6 weeks, but this can vary on voyages.
2. Dunedin-Auckland: 1 week
3. Auckland tech/paperwork: 1-2 weeks
I would say 2 months would be an absolute minimum you should allow.

Anyway, that’s my experience and I am happy to take any questions or a PM offline. Good luck to you US/Canadian importers.

shafty
29th December 2008, 16:14
Good write up Mate - cheers. Jeezthat headlight was expensive!

Welcome! I have a soft spot for LT's, tho have never ridden one, enjoy

jafar
29th December 2008, 23:39
I brought over a bmw from the states earlier this year, the main difference for me was that I was hit with the GST & not given an option for with holding for 18 months. I also made sure before i brought the bike that it would land in Auckland. Costings were similar though.:2thumbsup

howdamnhard
30th December 2008, 00:05
Thanks for the info,ouch expensive headlights.

vtec
30th December 2008, 00:14
What a mission. I hate bureaucracy. I'd definitely sell there and buy here if it was me. You don't value your time (and sanity) enough.

longwayfromhome
30th December 2008, 06:35
Oh, I knew it was going to Dunedin, the problem was I thought I would be able to ride it to Auckland before I got it fully registered. Thats where the extra $650 came in.

What model BMW? Who did you ship with to get a price of US$500-$700?

longwayfromhome
30th December 2008, 06:48
I know what you mean, but in elapsed time I would say:
1. 1 day to ride to LA and fly back.
2. 1/2 day of buggering around in NZ, being a trip to the dealer and a trip into central Auckland to get the Deed signed (I could have posted this but I wanted it done quickly).
3. The dealer and the shipper did all the running around with the bureaucrats.
...plus I got a familiar old friend back with me in NZ. The bike is in excellent nick and some of the upgrades are worth a bit as well, for instance the fully adjustable Wilbers suspension are probably worth NZ$3,000 installed alone.

slimjim
30th December 2008, 08:15
thank's for all of that...good infor..

raftn
30th December 2008, 08:20
That was an interesting read, was wondering how you got on. Glad you are reunited with you ride!

NOWOOL
20th February 2009, 12:19
That's why I sold my bike in the states before moving to NZ. I checked out all the requirements for importation and the hurdles seemed not worth the bother. I've got 2 years to bring down posessions from the states gst free, but other than my gun collection (which is worth the trouble: $700 for a AR-15 in the states, $4000 in NZ, etc) it's not worth the effort.

My biggest mistake was not transferring my motorcycle endorsement to NZ (living in Auckland at the time and didn't think I'd buy a bike). I'm now working my way slowly up the bike licence scheme.

vgcspares
20th February 2009, 14:49
there's an interesting shortcut on the headlight thingy that involves rotating the bulb clockwise by about 10 degrees ....

longwayfromhome
20th February 2009, 16:40
On the LT its not the bulb but the entire reflector assembly. Worst thing was I had ridden for 8 years with no probs and 2 months before I moved back I broke the headlight, so I had two headlight replacements in 2 months...I could buy a 2nd hand bike just for that cost alone.

longwayfromhome
20th February 2009, 16:41
Yes, I had to have two years on a US licence, but it was a direct swap to a full NZ licence.

klingon
20th February 2009, 17:01
Interesting. My brother in law has just brought his Harley back from the USA. I have yet to see it and/or ask him how it all went, but I will be interested to hear the similarities and differences between your story and his.

Thanks for the write-up. Hopefully it will help a lot of people in the future.

Reckless
20th February 2009, 17:09
there's an interesting shortcut on the headlight thingy that involves rotating the bulb clockwise by about 10 degrees ....

My VTR1000 was an import and after several NZ warrants by others I took it for my first warrant and got failed on the pattern being wrong for riding on our side of the road. I did what has been suggested here. Cut the lugs off the bulb and turned it so it complied.

triple-bee
1st March 2009, 06:55
Good info, we have 5 to sell if and when we get there it looks like we will just sell here and rebuy in NZ

Grizzo
1st March 2009, 07:32
What a freakin shit fight!

Road Warrior
5th March 2009, 12:50
longwayfromhome,
Nice write up lots of good info there..thanks!:not:
I will have to make similar decisions. Sounds like the deciding factor will be the GST, and if you can get the 18 month thing. I have 4 now, and a used bike here is hard to get good value out of now :shit:
Gary

longwayfromhome
9th March 2009, 07:00
Ahhhh...western CO....some fave rides there....Paonia to Glenwood Springs via McClure Pass, Gunnison Hwy, Ouray loop. Was there last autumn coming in from Moab after doing most of the canyons starting in AZ.

I think the main thing is how long you have had the bike. I believe anything over 2 years and you are fine. If you need to cut down on the # bikes, remember that there is no freeway riding in NZ of any note, the main drag here is a 2 lane road with 25mph bends in places.

vfxdog
9th March 2009, 19:59
Jafar- who did you ship to AKL with, and who did you use to do Customs clearance etc?

I brought over a bmw from the states earlier this year, the main difference for me was that I was hit with the GST & not given an option for with holding for 18 months. I also made sure before i brought the bike that it would land in Auckland. Costings were similar though.:2thumbsup

jafar
10th March 2009, 21:11
Jafar- who did you ship to AKL with, and who did you use to do Customs clearance etc?

GO logistics @ Auckland airport, Chris is the guy in charge

http://www.gologistics.co.nz

Kemet
28th March 2009, 12:49
Wish I had seen this thread earlier!!!

I work at Port Otago and I missed a chance to have a perv at the bike!!!

What voyage did it come in on? Maersk? MSC? HLL..

slydesigns
28th March 2009, 14:21
I just swapped one for one, my old TYGA CBR400RR NC29 with a guy in Canada for an 07 Truimph 675.

Was an interesting experience shipping both bikes, and after the savings I'd probably do it again.

Beeza
10th April 2009, 14:47
I'm currently in the throes of getting two Laverdas in from South Africa. They are presently crated up in Auckland in a container and already I've coughed up $800 for the following:

Port service charges = $578-83
Delivery order = $50-00
Forestry Inspection fee = $31-00
Port Security fee = $19-00
Admin compliance fee = $10.00
Shipping documentation charge = $10-00
MAF Biosecurity fee =$7-00

Total = $705-83
Plus GST =$88-23
Full total = $794-06

Now that excludes the cost at the South African exit end (crating up, steam cleaning, police clearances, customs bumf, sundry this and sundry that blah blah) and it excludes the whopping sea-freight from South Africa to New Zealand -- which costs a blimmin whack.

That $794-06 is only the cost of having the container offloaded and my crates taken out and placed in a holding shed at Auckland Harbour.

They're still on the quayside in Auckland on the "wrong" side of the Customs gate.

There's still more to pay to get it past Customs and then there's the GST on the value and then transport fee down to where I live. And there's the VIN process and the WOF and the rego...

In short, be VERY careful. These "over-and-above" costs ramp the whole importing adventure up a LOT further than you may ever have reckoned on.

Do not do it unless the machine is one which is either very special to you or one which is swiftly appreciating in value.

Buy what you want over here, otherwise.

That's my advice.

You pay for what you see.

jafar
18th April 2009, 20:37
I'm currently in the throes of getting two Laverdas in from South Africa. They are presently crated up in Auckland in a container and already I've coughed up $800 for the following:

Port service charges = $578-83
Delivery order = $50-00
Forestry Inspection fee = $31-00
Port Security fee = $19-00
Admin compliance fee = $10.00
Shipping documentation charge = $10-00
MAF Biosecurity fee =$7-00

Total = $705-83
Plus GST =$88-23
Full total = $794-06

Now that excludes the cost at the South African exit end (crating up, steam cleaning, police clearances, customs bumf, sundry this and sundry that blah blah) and it excludes the whopping sea-freight from South Africa to New Zealand -- which costs a blimmin whack.

That $794-06 is only the cost of having the container offloaded and my crates taken out and placed in a holding shed at Auckland Harbour.

They're still on the quayside in Auckland on the "wrong" side of the Customs gate.

There's still more to pay to get it past Customs and then there's the GST on the value and then transport fee down to where I live. And there's the VIN process and the WOF and the rego...

In short, be VERY careful. These "over-and-above" costs ramp the whole importing adventure up a LOT further than you may ever have reckoned on.

Do not do it unless the machine is one which is either very special to you or one which is swiftly appreciating in value.

Buy what you want over here, otherwise.

That's my advice.

You pay for what you see.

Have you had your bikes released yet?
Did you work out the total cost of this exercise yet?
I know that I will think twice before doing it again.

Beeza
18th April 2009, 22:20
No, the buggers at MAF opened the crates and found some minor mould or fungus or something growing on the dark interior of timber which (hello!!) has spent a month on the damp high seas, and so ordered the consignment to be fumigated and the crates to be shrink-wrapped and destroyed. It's all added to my account. And I'm running up a fortune in demurrage (a sort of holding fee) until this crate destruction is performed.

It's one big fat money-making official racket. And I've got about 40 pages of paperwork, from the police, the SA customs, the shippers, the Angel Gabriel, the bloody King of the Zulus and all, but NZ Customs insist on some page 41 which I now need to have speed-couriered at an extra $100...

Once I've finally got it out from under the noses of officialdom in Auckland, I still have to run the gauntlet to get them VINned, regoed, licenced ...

What unpleasant drama. Unbelievable! :headbang:

Road Warrior
20th April 2009, 00:27
crates to be shrink-wrapped and destroyed.
That will consist of chopping them up and burning them in a 55 gal drum...when no one is looking of course..:mad:
I hate to hear of stories like this as you are dealing with 2 small items. Cant imagine what will await me with all of my.."stuff".. :(
Gary

YellowDog
20th April 2009, 06:30
So, here is my experience....I moved back to NZ from the US recently and brought back my 2000 BMW K1200LT. Some relevant starting facts:
1. The bike has been owned by me from new. This is important in determining how much GST is payable and if GST is to be paid at all.
2. I was coming to NZ to live here, not as a visitor. This is important in determining what is required to get the bike on the road.

1. Get the bike to the shipping agent in suburban LA. The bike took some 6 weeks to get to NZ from drop-off in LA.
2. Have an original title in my name, my passport and current registration in my name available for the agent. I also found the original bill of sale which proved to be necessary later in NZ. The shipper kept the original title and took a copy of my passport and rego (I am not sure the rego was absolutely necessary).
3. NOTE: I didn't get the bike insured for the trip. It would not have been covered by my normal US bike insurance.
4. On arrival in NZ, the agent arranged Customs and MAF clearance. Here “arranged” means that he contacted them, they came to where the bike was sitting and he facilitated email exchanges between me and Customs. This included:
b. Customs: Length of Ownership – confirmed with original Bill of Sale and Finance Release letter from BMW Finance.
d. MAF: Inspection and possible cleaning. As it was, the bike was clean enough and didn’t need a subsequent (expensive) MAF-arranged cleanup.
5. I had been led to understand that after the bike has been yours for a given number of years, then no GST is payable on an import. My experience is that they do in fact value the bike at current value, calculate what GST would be on this then, if you are over the # years, make you sign a deed that states if the bike is resold in NZ within a certain period (mine is 18 months I think), then the GST is due. This is a bit different to advice given by others. In the end I signed an undertaking that if I sold the bike within 18 months of my return, then I would have to pay approx $1800 in GST (I don’t have the exact amount with me as I write). I went into Customs in Auckland and signed the form, they faxed to Dunedin (where the bike was) and this released the bike from MAF and Customs.
6. I had hoped to pick up the bike from the agent in Dunedin, but this was thwarted by the following: If you are a visitor to the country you can ride the bike away (there is some paperwork I am sure, but I don’t know what it is), but if you are a resident, then the bike has to be Rego’ed and WOF’ed before riding on public roads. In order to get that you have to undertake Compliance which is added work as well. All three of these are done at a DMV and Inspection Station (not all inspection stations are capable of motorcycle inspections evidently).
7. What stopped me doing all this in Dunedin was that the headlight had to be changed (so it dips the other way) and their being no BMW dealer in Dunedin etc etc I decided in the end to have it shipped to the BMW dealer in Auckland. He undertook to arrange the shipping, change of headlight, and getting the bike thru Compliance/Rego/WOF. This he did most competently.
8. Eventually, I picked up the bike from the Auckland BMW dealer, fully road-ready and legal some 9 weeks after I dropped the bike off in LA.

Shipping LA-to-Dunedin, including all clearances at both ends: US$ 700./ NZ$1220
Total NZ$ NZ$ 3600

Who I dealt with:

Robbie is well known to many travelers bringing bikes to NZ. He was SO easy to deal with and everything went exactly as he described. The drop off in LA was amazingly easy, quick and straightforward. Mine is a large touring bike…regular sports bikes are about US$500 for the trip. He only brings them into Dunedin, no other port. The container actually comes in via Auckland, but it doesn’t get unpacked until Dunedin, so no other options. Most highly recommended. Thanks Robbie.

Sebastian, their Service Manager, was excellent to deal with, took it all in hand, knew the ins-and-outs and got everything done as and when promised. As well he is an experienced LT mechanic himself, so the extra confidence that gave me was a plus. This was a good start to an important relationship since there is only one BMW Dealer in NZ these days. Thanks Sebastian.

1. People have suggested its not worthwhile bringing in a “different” bike like an LT, especially with over 200k km on it. But as I would have got very little in the US for the bike…lets say US$3k in a forced sale….I am reckoning I have a nice tidy bike here, on the road for about NZ9,000, one I know the full working history of, running beautifully and one that is fitted out with all the extras (like Wilbers suspension etc) that would cost a packet to do here. So, I think I at least broke even on the project.
2. I could perhaps have gotten dealers plates on the bike and ridden up from Dunedin….I didn’t explore this as I forgot to for some reason after someone made the suggestion, but I am wondering if a dealer who I had no transactional history with would have been willing to do this anyway.
3. I should have got my speedo which reads 5mph high converted to be dead accurate before I came over…its tricky doing maths (mph-to-km + overage) in your head as you are leant over in a corner with an eye out for cops.

Timings:

Anyway, that’s my experience and I am happy to take any questions or a PM offline. Good luck to you US/Canadian importers.
This sounds like a terrible and very expensive experience that I would avoid given the choice.

I have imported two bikes in to NZ. The first in 2007 was a seven year old Suzuki XF650 from the UK straight to Auckland. A very smooth procedure provided the bike is clean. No DOU required for the GST thing. As a non-resident I could take the bike and sort out compliance and WOF myself. Cost peanuts. Sold the bike six months later for 30% more than I paid for it 4 years earlier.

The second was a Brand New Triumph Tiger from LA in March of 2008. A used Kiwishipping whom ship directly to Auckland for US$495. Again, no issues as they had all of the correct paperwork. Yes I did get shipping insurance for around NZ$250. I had to pay GST at this end and was able to take it from MAF myself to get the compliance, rego, & WOF sorted out. Yes I did have to make a few phone calls and send a couple of faxes, but it was all pretty well organised. By this time I did have residency however still no issues with taking the bike away to sort out compliance and the other stuff (perhaps that has now changed). No issues with headlamp as they use an synchronous beam, which dips up and down, not left and right. I saved around NZ$5000 on the NZ Dealer on road price, plus the USA spec is higher.

When the NZ$ US$ rate was over 80c, this was a great money saving idea to help me get a bike I could not afford in NZ (it would othersie have been a Suzuki Bandit GSF1250SAT). There would not be any saving to do it at todays rates.

The next time the NZ$ goes crazy, I'm importing another bike from LA.

Beeza
22nd April 2009, 16:21
After nearly a whole week racking up hourly "demurrage" in the MAF bonded warehouse, the two bikes are now engaged in a quibble with NZ Customs and my customs agents.

Customs disputed the value on my purchase invoice, so I had to get an "independent valuation" from a NZ motorcycle dealer (who didn't even have to look at the bikes in question --- ehhh?) And, when their independent valuation was LESS than my invoice value --- I paid too much for them --- Customs refused to sign a release until I sent them a PHOTO of the bikes which are right there under their noses! And they wanted to know the odometer readings of two bikes I bought 4 years ago! I had to recall this from memory.

What a silly palaver! They are dreaming up a dozen different ways of delaying the process.

MAF had the crates destroyed and obliged by agents to have both bikes steam-cleaned. Customs -- handed a full set of export documents -- are inventing, on an hourly basis, ways to demand more and more "evidence" of this, that and everything in between, with photos, independent valuations bla bla...

Clearly, somebody is making money out of this whole delay process.

In brief, expect MAF and NZ Customs to hold up your consignment for anything between 10 days and a month between the day your container is offloaded in Auckland and your bikes appear at your front doorstep.

Quite unacceptable, really.

This process is in need of a MASSIVE re-jig.

I'd never import a bike after this ridiculous third-world sort of carry-on up in Auckland. They're a bunch of burglars up there.

jafar
22nd April 2009, 19:35
Beeza you must have shit in someones porridge to get the run around like your getting. My beemer had to be fumigated & I still had it in my grubby little mits within a week of it landing @ Auckland.

Beeza
23rd April 2009, 21:20
I'm still waiting. And the bills are still cranking up. At least they've on the correct side of the MAF holding pen now and the demurrage has ended, but Customs want "independent valuations" and photos and their other little mad peccadilloes...

Hopefully I'll take delivery within the next 48 hours, as long as I can raise the giant bux to pay for all the drama the Auckland Official Mind has scriptwritten just for me.:crybaby:

mujambee
23rd April 2009, 22:02
Thanks for all this info.

Interesting. My brother in law has just brought his Harley back from the USA. I have yet to see it and/or ask him how it all went, but I will be interested to hear the similarities and differences between your story and his.

Any news on this?

Beeza
24th April 2009, 11:58
I've just learnt that I have to pay 12,5% NZ GST on the cost of the seafreight and insurance on my two Laverdas (i.e GST on the $4000 shipping costs) even though no Kiwi moved a single muscle in "services" until the day these bikes arrived in Auckland Harbour. It's "Section 12" of the GST law, apparently.

It's a ripoff.

And, at MAF, they're charging me an eye-watering $600 for the pleasure of "destroying" my two crates, which had some fungus or mould inside them after a six week sea voyage.

Beeza
24th April 2009, 14:10
Well, as outlined above, MAF found some fungus/mould in the wooden crates my Laverdas were crated in, and they condemned them to instant destruction.

Guess what their fee was for burning up two wooden crates which had grown a wee bit of damp mould in a six week sea voyage?

$658. 00

That's what.:mad:

And that's not counting the extra $150 for having to get the two bikes steam-cleaned at MAF insistence.

So, $4000 in shipping fees plus another $3000 in assorted NZ duties, GST, customs fees, crate-burnings etc....

$7000 in overall charges for a shipment valued at barely half of that.

I won't repeat my folly any time soon.:dodge:

jafar
25th April 2009, 19:27
Well, as outlined above, MAF found some fungus/mould in the wooden crates my Laverdas were crated in, and they condemned them to instant destruction.

Guess what their fee was for burning up two wooden crates which had grown a wee bit of damp mould in a six week sea voyage?

$658. 00

And that's not counting the extra $150 for having to get the two bikes steam-cleaned at MAF insistence.

So, $4000 in shipping fees plus another $3000 in assorted NZ duties, GST, customs fees, crate-burnings etc....

Sounds excessive, but the mold is one you should have been told about, I used a metal crate to get my bike over & didn't have the problem.
$7k is a lot for a couple of laverda's :eek:

Beeza
26th April 2009, 09:24
What miffs me even more than $650 for burning my two crates is the idea that I had to pay NZ GST on the foreign shipping paid for with foreign currency.

Goods and services should be what it says : when a New Zealander on NZ soil renders a service, I should pay NZ GST on that. When South African dockworkers load my consignment on to a Greek-registered ship and it is delivered to Auckland, no NZ service has been performed at all in the entire shipping process until that ship docks.

Yes, Kiwi workers in Auckland then offload my crates, and charge me an additional "port service" $900 fee (to which NZ GST is justifiably added) but no Kiwi worker lifted a single finger while my crates made their way from Durban to Mauritius, to Sydney and finally to Auckland. And I am rushed NZ GST on the WHOLE shipping cost!

Imagine if you were charged 12.5% GST on the postage charged for every overseas Christmas card you received. Would that seem right? When the sender paid postage in Euro, Pounds or US Dollars (whatever) it pays for delivery right to the recipient's door without the NZ tax-man climbing in for a 12.5% slice of the entire delivery charge. Doesn't happen to your Christmas cards, but it sure does happen to your imported bikes!

I've taken up this rort with my local MP (Chester Borrows, Nat.) and he agrees with me that this "Section 12" ruling is exactly that -- a rort. It needs to be changed asap. Let this be a heads-up to ALL prospective "home" importers!

Phurrball
26th April 2009, 14:03
Beeza -

Sounds like you're getting the right run around!

Customs/MAF etc are government agencies. They are answerable to the official information and/or privacy acts - you are entitled to a breakdown of all the costs and the reasons for them. Make them justify every little bit. Get them to point to empowering policy/legislation.

It's not much, but it's one thing you can do. I probably wont change anything - I'm not sure if there is some sort of review procedure (someone here may know) - but you may feel a little better making them cough up some answers.

Have a look here for the legislation:

Official Information Act 1982 (http://legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1982/0156/latest/DLM64785.html)

Privacy Act 1993 (http://legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1993/0028/latest/DLM296639.html)

Quick tip - may be easier to download the PDF copies of the act (look at top of page)

Privacy act is only for information about an identifiable person (ie you).
OIA is any info about state agencies.

Be very specific about your requests. There are time lines for responding in the acts.

Hope that helps...

vfxdog
27th April 2009, 03:41
Global shipping is way down because of the financial meltdown. I wonder if these small men with big hats over there in AKL have some kind of target they are supposed to reach in order to keep their jobs secure, and you have come along at just the right time.

Seems to me that the airport chappies are much more efficient. It's a crazy thought but maybe it would have been cheaper to fly the Laverdas in.

$658. 00

jafar
27th April 2009, 16:27
Yes, Kiwi workers in Auckland then offload my crates, and charge me an additional "port service" $900 fee (to which NZ GST is justifiably added)

$900.00 ? Fuck off thats a ripoff, you wouldn't pay that to devan an entire container .
Go find a customs broker in your area & get him to go through the bill with you, it won't take him long & the few $$ will be well worth it.

Beeza
27th April 2009, 21:35
That $900 fee is precisely what a customs broker, Ian, attached to Apex International charged me for "port charges" although it includes eventual delivery to the lower North Island. But, of the whole $7000 fee for crating, paperwork and shipping these two big bikes, $3000 of that cost attaches itself AFTER the ship docked alongside in Auckland Port.

Exorbitant. Be warned.:nono:

jafar
28th April 2009, 19:44
That $900 fee is precisely what a customs broker, Ian, attached to Apex International charged me for "port charges" although it includes eventual delivery to the lower North Island. But, of the whole $7000 fee for crating, paperwork and shipping these two big bikes, $3000 of that cost attaches itself AFTER the ship docked alongside in Auckland Port.

Exorbitant. Be warned.:nono:

That is for more than 'port charges ', has he included the crates & internal shipping in south africa. Additional storage etc ??

YellowDog
28th April 2009, 20:23
Good info, we have 5 to sell if and when we get there it looks like we will just sell here and rebuy in NZ

Look, I really cannot understand this nonsense. Like I have already said, I have imported 2 bikes to NZ. One old one (1999) in 2006 and then one new one in 2008. It was an absolute breeze on both occasions and I saved a fortune.

You will sell your 5 bikes for nothing in the UK and pay 40% more to re-buy them back in NZ. Like I said, I got 40% more for my bike and it was 4 years older than when I bought it. I saved a total of $5000 on the road inclusive of all charges importing my bike from LA. The only actual issue that I had was that my US model Triumph Tiger ABS version had never been imported into NZ. Apparently I have the only one :) So I had to get the VIN decoded. This took 4 phone calls and a fax to sort out. B I G D E A L

You just need to do your homework. Get a professional valuation done before you come out. Make sure you clean the underside of the bike yourself before getting it professionally cleaned. Make sure you have a Kiwi agent who knows the system and has all of the documenation in place before hand.

Maybe it has changed now however if you are emmigrating and have appllied for PR, you don't have to pay the GST. If your bike is less than 5 years old, they ask you to sign a DOU which means that if you sell the bike within 12 month of it arriving in NZ, you will be liable for the GST.

If you go and see the Coventry Group here, they do compliance checks on hundreds of imported vehicles a week.

Don't leave it to chance. Study and learn the rules and then insist that everyone else does too.

Road Warrior
29th April 2009, 01:53
Don't leave it to chance. Study and learn the rules and then insist that everyone else does too.
Well thats the key right there. Problem is when someone with power changes the rules...or adds rules..then what?
This is exactly what I will be trying to avoid. I am hoping that with moving a business that I can get someone in local gov to help with some assurances ahead of time.
When you are standing on the dock with your suitcase in one hand...and everything you have is still on the ship....you have no power..and they know it.:angry2:
My risk will be much higher so I will be doing an extensive investigation for sure.
Gary

Beeza
29th April 2009, 02:28
Crating, and internal railage to Durban wasn't worked into the shipping fee. I paid all that to a SA haulage company it it was merely a pittance.

That shipping fee commenced when the vessel left Durban harbour and ended in Auckland when the container with my bikes in it was craned off on to the pier.

If you are immigrating, and your bike(s) come in as part of your shipped-across pre-owned household chattels, you get a perfectly smooth and easy route in and absolutely no GST is payable on anything, unless the bike you're bringing in is less than 12 months old or not officially registered overseas in your name.

It's when you are already a permanent resident/citizen here and only then decide to bring in a bike from overseas that you collect major strife.

Road Warrior
29th April 2009, 13:00
It's when you are already a permanent resident/citizen here and only then decide to bring in a bike from overseas that you collect major strife.
Got it..its always something...or at least it seems like it :bash:
Cant wait to get down there and start looking around :woohoo:
Gary

Beeza
29th April 2009, 17:16
Ship ALL the bikes you want to bring to NZ right into your container when you first move here as part of your other shipped household effects and you'll duck all the GST and other sundry drama.

Do not get here and only THEN hunt down the great bikes from home that you always wanted.

That's my experience.:crybaby:

Mully
30th April 2009, 14:00
Ship ALL the bikes you want to bring to NZ right into your container when you first move here as part of your other shipped household effects and you'll duck all the GST and other sundry drama.

Do not get here and only THEN hunt down the great bikes from home that you always wanted.

Hi Beeza,

I, for my sins, am a Customs Broker. Whether or not you are subject to GST depends on how long you have owned the vehicle(s).

As it appears to me, you simply bought the bikes "remotely" as it were. Same as buying anything off the internet from another country, GST is payable on the CIF value (Value of the goods, value of the insurance and value of the freight @ 12.5%) of the items. For your purposes, Duty is not relevant, as motorcycles are duty free in their own right.

For those playing at home, I will hereby present my condensed "how-to:" guide;

First, familiarise yourself with this section of the NZ Customs website: http://www.customs.govt.nz/travellers/Motor+Vehicles/default.htm
This will tell you when charges apply and when they don't.
Also http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/importing/ will tell you the requirements for getting it on the road.

Second, approach several forwarders (ask if they are interested in motorcycles, some will have a go even though they have no interest/knowledge of the procedure) at origin for quotations. Here is the rub: You need to ask for a DDP quote. Specify that you want a price for all-in to a compliance centre in whatever city you are in. You need to give them a week or so to respond, as they will have to get all charges from NZ. Tell them that you expect any additional charges (cleaning, etc) to be charged at cost plus 5% and you want the supplier invoices to verify. Prepay for as much as you can BEFORE you leave (ideally, you only want any additional charges to be paid in NZ). The NZ forwarder will want to clip the ticket on everything you pay here.

Third, get a written valuation from a dealer (especially if you bought privately) for the value EXCLUDING local taxes (GST/VAT, etc).

Fourth, clean the bastard like it's never been cleaned before. Under mudguards, inside fairings and sidecovers even the toolkit. Remember; doing it yourself means it'll save you big $$ at this end, as MAF insist on approved cleaners only.

Fifthly, get a metal crate. Mentioned earlier was Harley crates. These are good. Some crates are metal framing with a cardboard sleeve. If you strap it in, use NEW straps only. MAF will happily mistake grease on an old strap for mud and order cleaning. Do not use: wood, rope, old tyres (yes it has been done) to pack.

Sixthly, get marine insurance. If it all turns to shit, the Bills of Lading and the Carriage of Goods act will absolve everyone of liability and you could be left with some expensive scrap metal.

Any dramas, PM me and I'll advise as best I can.

(Disclaimer; this information is true and correct to the best of my knowledge, and assembled with due care. No liability for mis-information will be accepted. This is my opinion and experience only, and no warranty as to it's current or future accuracy is expressed or implied. Rinse and repeat. Do not wash with dark colours, as the colour may bleed. Your results may vary. If symptoms persist, please see your doctor.)

Beeza
1st May 2009, 04:57
I bought the bikes 4 years ago, and rode them on my visits to S.Africa but without registering them --- they were ridden on private roads and race tracks.

And GST levied on the CIF invoice is clearly iniquitous -- it should legitimately be only on the FOB (free-on-board ) value as they are "goods" entering NZ.

The insurance and freight are provided by non-New Zealanders and should therefore be GST exempt as no NZ service has been rendered in any way, shape or form for either the insurance or freight. And the cost of these services was not even paid for out of NZ funds, but from the offshore, non-NZ bank a/c of the vendor.

Section 12 is a huge ripoff.

Mully
1st May 2009, 09:11
Hmm, seems to me that they should have been GST exempt then (certainly under the reference 80 concession). AFAIK, the legislation says "owned and used" overseas, and says nothing about it not coming with you at the time.

(Warning, I have never had this situation occur, so I could very well be wrong)

Do you know why Customs said GST was payable when you had owned them for so long? Not really relevant anymore, but more for my own curiosity.

And yes, I agree Section 12 is a rort, but most countries use the same system (GST on CIF value). Despite Chester Burrows's sympathies, I doubt this government revenue stream will be closed off in a hurry. (regardless, it only affects private individuals, as companies simply claim the GST back on their tax return)

EDIT: Hang on, what does this mean?

Were you a permanant resident in NZ when you bought them? Or were you living in ZA and left them there for a while?

That could explain the "owned and used while outside NZ" bit.

Beeza
1st May 2009, 13:57
I was a NZ permanent resident when I bought these bikes, but I went over to SA and rode and raced them over there and have now brought them here.

Mully
1st May 2009, 14:36
I was a NZ permanent resident when I bought these bikes, but I went over to SA and rode and raced them over there and have now brought them here.

Ahh, I see. It all becomes clear.

My deepest condolences in having to deal with MAF and Customs.

Beeza
1st May 2009, 16:29
MAF and Customs are "jobsworths". Cutting you even half a millimetre of fair and reasonable slack is simply "more than my job's worth, mate -- sorry, I can't help you".:argh:

I appreciate the sympathy.:sweatdrop

YellowDog
1st May 2009, 16:54
I guess I was just lucky with my experieces. I found them a nice bunch of guys to deal with.

Especially Mully :)

Beeza
3rd May 2009, 14:24
I dare say some may import machines and encounter not a single hitch, and they meekly accept the idea of paying GST on the whoppingly huge foreign shipping costs.

But when you hit one NZ-sourced speedbump, you don't only hit one. There are several more waiting for you. And it gets uglier and uglier.

Be warned!:eek5:

R6Genesis
9th May 2009, 08:23
very good information I will make sure the Bike is cleaned to the hilt.

longwayfromhome
19th May 2009, 13:53
Do you know why Customs said GST was payable when you had owned them for so long? Not really relevant anymore, but more for my own curiosity.

That is a good question....in my own case I was surprised to have to sign the undertaking to pay GST when I had owned the bike for 8 years, 4 of them outright (i.e. after paying off the finance company). My guess is that any permanent resident, upon returning, is deemed to be "speculating" in some way if they sell the bike within a certain period, no matter how long they have owned it....hence the GST undertaking.

kiwigazza
11th August 2009, 06:08

Total NZ$ NZ$ 3600

Who I dealt with:

Timings:

is it possible to keep the CA rego? ie have NZ plates when in NZ but keep the CA plates for elsewhere?

YellowDog
11th August 2009, 06:14
is it possible to keep the CA rego? ie have NZ plates when in NZ but keep the CA plates for elsewhere?
You can buy the CA rego No. from plates.co.nz, but the actual plate colour has to be black, as per NZ. There is no reason as to why you can't keep the CA holder with the dealer/county logo on it (I did).

Krusti
17th August 2009, 01:06
As some of you know meon3 and myself are over here in the US for six months working. Have looked at buying a bike and bringing it home. Even had a dealer offer to take over $2000 US off a new xr1200 Harley.

Trouble is with the dollar the way it is and the cost of shipping, gst etc it is not much cheaper to buy a bike over here and bring it home.

Jap bikes seem to be comparable in price to NZ as well so not worth the hassle.

Will keep looking for a cheap big block Mustang......yeah right

YellowDog
17th August 2009, 05:10
I thought the HDs would be heaps cheaper.

My Triumph certainly was.

Kiwishipping charged US$495.

If there's only a couple of thou NZ$ in it, I wouldn't bother and would prefer to have the assurance of a local dealer.

rebyl
21st August 2009, 18:03
I went to the States in 07, bought a second hand bike, rode it for 10000 miles, shipped it home, had the Bill of Sale and the Value of the bike on the crate it was in, picked it up in Wellington and rode it home on the US plates, took it up North and got it Vinned for and registered for NZ then sold it. Got a small bill from the officials for GST and that was it...no hassles. The guy at the place i took it to was a bit amused when it turned up on US plates and said that I should not have done the six hundred miles in NZ on the US plates...grin...sorry:doh:.
There is a great company called Kiwi shipping that will help you if needed...good people

Markw336
21st August 2009, 23:18
importing is such a mission must of been a pretty good bike or it had a lot of sentimental value to you Good job

longwayfromhome
30th August 2009, 08:49

I assume you mean, can you keep the CA plates and simply put them on another bike in CA...without tell DMV? The answer is that the CA rego is to a specific bike. You could risk doing this, but when pulled over, you would be material for "COPS" on TV. The thing working in your favour is that in CA, after rego'ing for the first time, there is NO subsequent WOF-like check..ever, not even a SMOG check like the car's have. Amazing!

I know you are able to keep the same plates and formally/officially transfer to another bike...this is very common, and certainly possible in most states. I know this because many people have fancy names on plates and they transfer from bike-to-bike as they change over time.

I have my CA plates here in NZ with me, along with my NJ and PA plates I had for the same bike and one other. You are supposed to return them, but no one ever does, especially if you move and don't have anything rego'd in the state.

longwayfromhome
30th August 2009, 09:08
I guess I was just lucky with my experieces. I found them a nice bunch of guys to deal with.

Especially Mully :)

I feel for you Beeza, but the experience is not always that painful...your experience -v- mine shows that. Different circumstances certainly contributed and I suspect that importing 4 bikes while living here was seen in a speculative light by Customs who then then turned on the blow torches. I suspect that my own relatively placid experience was due to using only two companies to organize the whole thing, for which I believe I paid a premium of say 1/3rd of $240 (the time taken for the BMW dealer to change light, take bike to rego/compliance/etc). Seems like money well spent. The respective organizations.... Customers/MAF with Robbie and DMV with Experience BMW...were very familiar with and well-known to Big Brother.

Having moved country several times, I have grown to understand why, since Roman times, toll's & fees have motivated entire civilizations to attack and occupy territory.

Again, everyone's circumstances may well be different.

kiwigazza
31st August 2009, 07:45
I assume you mean, can you keep the CA plates and simply put them on another bike in CA...without tell DMV? The answer is that the CA rego is to a specific bike. You could risk doing this, but when pulled over, you would be material for "COPS" on TV. The thing working in your favour is that in CA, after rego'ing for the first time, there is NO subsequent WOF-like check..ever, not even a SMOG check like the car's have. Amazing!

I know you are able to keep the same plates and formally/officially transfer to another bike...this is very common, and certainly possible in most states. I know this because many people have fancy names on plates and they transfer from bike-to-bike as they change over time.

I have my CA plates here in NZ with me, along with my NJ and PA plates I had for the same bike and one other. You are supposed to return them, but no one ever does, especially if you move and don't have anything rego'd in the state.

no, what i am thinking of doing is keeping the bike registered in CA. registering the bike in NZ while it is there and when i take the bike out of NZ again putting the rego on hold and putting the CA plates back on. the reason for soing this is at that i can get a carnet for the CA plates much cheaper in the states than in NZ

longwayfromhome
31st August 2009, 07:59
no, what i am thinking of doing is keeping the bike registered in CA. registering the bike in NZ while it is there and when i take the bike out of NZ again putting the rego on hold and putting the CA plates back on. the reason for soing this is at that i can get a carnet for the CA plates much cheaper in the states than in NZ

So, the problem is is that the bike needs to be currently CA-regoed to get the cheap carnet.

Mmmm....by deduction....it costs not much for annual rego in CA, so thats OK/sustainable/kept_going....there is no inspection, so they don't know if the bike is physically in CA or not, so thats good.....you still have the plates, so fine there....seems like you should be OK so far.

Concerns:
1. Insurance in USA....don't they follow you up if not insured? How would you respond.
2. You can put the bike into storage/off-road and pay 1/2 rego, so that might be a way, though this may have a limited time applicability.
3. When exported from CA, did some message go from exporter/shipper to CA DMV. But, even if it did, would that matter?

Suggest you call/email/visit CA DMV with a question along the lines of "I want to put my bike in storage while I go travelling, but keep my rego valid...how do I do it?". I suspect they will give the unsatisfactory response of "re-rego when you want to start using it again" and since the bike must be at a DMV to get regoed, thats useless.

I will also ask on my US-centric LT website...there is a lot of experience there. Maybe try a site like ADVRIDER as lots of those guys travel a lot and disappear for years at a time...there may be some direct experience there.

rebyl
18th October 2009, 11:52
Bought second hand in the States, rode it for 10000 miles then shipped her back home...no hassles. Just had to leave the original Bill of Sale on the crate, plus my copy of passport etc.
When bike was cleared by customs in Wellington I went picked it up and rode to TeAwamutu and got it NZ Registered...some eyebrows were raised by the miles on the clock since it left the States.....sorry I says...didn't know you could not ride it in NZ on US plates:rolleyes: after all we can ride our NZ bikes in the States on our NZ Plates and with our NZ licences.
I did pay a small amount of GST...no worries and Officials and shipping agent made it all stress free:clap: