PDA

View Full Version : Funday Monday Part II (BRP Can-Am Spyder)

Hitcher
29th December 2008, 18:01
Earlier this year we arrived at a service station at Lillooet in British Columbia Canada. It was a lovely sunny day. We needed a cold drink and Big Yam needed petrol. Whilst there we got our first sight of a new fangled three-wheeler -- a BRP Can-Am Spyder -- ridden by the dealer principal of Can-Am in Vancouver, with his son on pillion.

Despite much drooling and audible admiration from myself and fellow rider Warwick, Mrs H ended up as the only member of our group allowed to take the Spyder for a spin around the service station's considerable carpark.

A couple of months ago, TSS Motorcycles in Lower Hutt scored themselves a Spyder dealership and a couple of demos. Taking one out for a spin has been on my to do list ever since. Today I did just that.

Due to their insurance requirements, TSS are required to accompany Spyder test riders. After completing a few circuits up and down the street behind their store under Stu's watchful gaze, I set off in pursuit of Stu on another Spyder, with Mrs H doing the pillion thing behind him.

Spyders are not motorcycles. They have to be steered by pushing on the handlebars -- in the opposite direction required by countersteering on a motorcycle. The steering is very precise and quick, so doesn't require much effort for normal riding. Also a trike is fixed to the road as a car is, so doesn't naturally lean into a turn. A trike rider needs to do this.

Another difference of note is the complete absence of a handlebar brake lever. The marvellous brakes are actuated by using a brake pedal, which is located in exactly the same place as the brake pedal on a motorcycle.

Old motorcycle riding habits die hard. One does not need to put one's foot down when stopping.

The Rotax 990 engine that powers the Spyder is a v-twin and an absolute peach. It has a lovely rorty engine note and likes to lug and rev. Nice. The gearbox is five-speed (I rode a manual version), one down and four up. Reverse is mechanical. A handlebar-mounted lever activates a reverse position one click down through first gear.

Instrumentation is unusual. As well as having nicely located analogue speedo and tach, a digital readout provides exactly the same information at the same time. There's a trip computer, and all of the switchgear and controls (apart from a parking brake) are where a motorcycle rider would expect to find them.

There is a 40-litre storage compartment as a front "boot", with similar storage space to some convertibles.

So did I like it? You betcha. These things have a "huge grin" factor. They are head turners too, with motorists, pedestrians and even little-old-ladies on zimmer frames taking a keen and active interest.

Would I buy one? Tough question. If I was in the market for either a convertible MX5-type thingee or a full-dress tourer like a Goldwing, the Spyder would be a serious contender in those stakes.

What did Mrs H think as a pillion? Not to put too fine a point on it, she found the experience perturbing, largely due to being thrown away from the bike while cornering. The trike doesn't lean like a motorcycle, as noted above. Stu says that Mrs Stu was the same too at first, but has got used to being a Spyder pillion.

Madness
29th December 2008, 18:43
It sounds like you had an interesting day Hitch.

What's the licensing requirement to ride a Spyder, which class?.

DingoZ
29th December 2008, 19:09
Full Class 1 I believe.... But don't quote me on it... Just what I have heard.

Would be interested to know the price tag on one..?

Hitcher
29th December 2008, 19:58
Dingoz is right on the Full Class 1 license. And they're priced at about $30,000, which represents good value, IMHO.

Ocean1
31st December 2008, 16:10
As well as having nicely located analogue speedo and tach, a digital readout provides exactly the same information at the same time.

And when you start the bastard thing it insists on telling you to read the instructions before riding it.

I once disposed of a new microwave oven for having the audacity to tell me to enjoy my meal.

Fookin' nerve of it...

Stormer
1st January 2009, 21:23
Went from the top of the takas to Lake Ferry last Sunday, along with with a Spyder on point and an R1.
Those Spyders can handle and get along at a GOOD pace.
Wasn`t a slow ride!

NZsarge
9th January 2009, 10:21
I'm seriously keen to ride one of these but i'm not in the market.... just yet.
I think this would be an awesome touring machine, chuck some panniers on it off ya go.

Ocean1
9th January 2009, 16:34
I'm seriously keen to ride one of these but i'm not in the market.... just yet.
I think this would be an awesome touring machine, chuck some panniers on it off ya go.

'Er indoors is enjoying it so far. For the meantime she's happy there's somewhere for her handbag but I'll eventually get some aft luggage.

I see Givi make mounting kits for them to take their X35 panniers.

NZsarge
9th January 2009, 22:15
'Er indoors is enjoying it so far. For the meantime she's happy there's somewhere for her handbag but I'll eventually get some aft luggage.

I see Givi make mounting kits for them to take their X35 panniers.

How's about a review after you've done a few thousand km's?

Bummer it does'nt take V35's, best looking pannier the Givi make and the style would suit a Spyder down to the ground I reckon. :yes:

Ocean1
9th January 2009, 22:29
How's about a review after you've done a few thousand km's?

I'll see what I can do.

Bummer it does'nt take V35's, best looking pannier the Givi make and the style would suit a Spyder down to the ground I reckon. :yes:

That's what I meant, duno where I got the X from.

Looky here:

NZsarge
10th January 2009, 03:38
I'll see what I can do.
Sweet.

That's what I meant, duno where I got the X from.

Looky here:

I thought that V35's would match well with the Syder, well set up in all it's touring garb. :niceone: