PDA

View Full Version : CBTA LIcencing

DarkNinja
15th February 2005, 19:46
So how many of you guys have sat the CBTA licencing course? i have sat the restricted and hope to sit the full one in a couple of months. but what i really want to know is how many of you have been accepted into the course with speeding convictions or the likes.
Since i got my restricted i have had two, one at 79 in a 50km/h zone, and one at 83 in a 70km/h zone and just a bit worried i might get rejected with it. I SO hate those pricks at AA and their attitude :angry2: and i dont really want to handle them ever again since i got my cage licence.
DN

BNZ
15th February 2005, 19:49
Im sitting my restricted the normal way next week, then will apply for the CBTA full in a few weeks (after ive paid for warrant, rego etc)...

Two Smoker
15th February 2005, 20:13
I would also like to know... im looking at sitting it next month, but i have 90 demerit pionts :( but 35 of them were from riding a bike too big....

Hitcher
15th February 2005, 20:16
Yep, done the CBTA. Don't fancy your chances of getting accepted if you've got an "unclean" licence -- particularly if the "smudges" were incurred whilst riding a motorcycle...

Zapf
15th February 2005, 21:37
well... I think they might have issues with recent tickets.... I have done CBTA from learners to full... the whole hog. But I have had some big tickets in the past.... e.g like 149 in a 100k zone.

the thing is you must also you don't get any tickets for a year or two after your CBTA even in a cage.

2_SL0
15th February 2005, 21:39
If you have a unclean licence you aint got a shit show. Sorry but they are pretty strict. Good luck on trying.

DarkNinja
15th February 2005, 21:51
If you have a unclean licence you aint got a shit show. Sorry but they are pretty strict. Good luck on trying.
ah well its worth a shot anyway. dont think ill be speeding for a while now lol

カワサキキド
16th February 2005, 17:51
When I did my learners to restricted CBTA course the guy told us that one of his students managed to get his full with one minor speeding ticket.
I don't like your chances. :sweatdrop

I was thinking about when I go to get mine, when I broke my collar bone a policeman turned up but no chargers where laid, so I think I'll be fine.

Two Smoker
16th February 2005, 17:54
Ah well, i will have to wait till June to do my defensive driving course.... again :angry2:

Coyote
16th February 2005, 17:58
What is this CBTA course?

Hitcher
16th February 2005, 18:53
What is this CBTA course?
Use this site's wonderful search facility and find out!

StoneChucker
16th February 2005, 21:25
the thing is you must also you don't get any tickets for a year or two after your CBTA even in a cage.
Hehe, first Andrew at Roadsafe tells me to watch it for 6 months or so, then someone else tells me to be ticket free for 1 year and now YOU say 1 - 2 years?

Sorry, I know someone who got his full licence on the CBTA course, and a few months after got a 149 in a 100 ticket, and hasn't heard anything months later. Obviously that is extreme, and he may be lucky. But, 6 months and especially a year later, they aren't going to take away your licence for any reasons other than what the law requires (normal 28 day suspensions if applicable).

Hell, next someone will say 5-10 years after passing the CBTA. They say that they will MONITOR for INFORMATIONAL purposes your driving record for 2 years. Since it is a TRIAL program, I think this is more for statistics on whether the program is working, as apposed to trying to put someone back on restricted after 23 months, 30 days - just for kicks... :spudwhat:

Blakamin
16th February 2005, 21:28
Since it is a TRIAL program, I think this is more for statistics on whether the program is working, as apposed to trying to put someone back on restricted after 23 months, 30 days - just for kicks... :spudwhat:
and all the fukkers getting tickets will fuck it for everyone else as the whole system isn't working.... :ar15:

StoneChucker
16th February 2005, 21:33
and all the fukkers getting tickets will fuck it for everyone else as the whole system isn't working.... :ar15:
FUCKER? (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7070), you calling me a fucker? Personally I think it's the "fuckers" who speed dangerously over the limit, and, oh wait, nevermind...

PS: Don't forgety to clicky clicky

Blakamin
16th February 2005, 21:40
FUCKER? (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7070), you calling me a fucker? Personally I think it's the "fuckers" who speed dangerously over the limit, and, oh wait, nevermind...

hehehehe... forgot about that!!!! :killingme

BNZ
17th February 2005, 06:57
Who offers the CBTA in wellington. I was going to do it in auckland last year but then broke my heel and collar bone so couldnt ride for a while.

Hitcher
17th February 2005, 09:41
Who offers the CBTA in wellington. I was going to do it in auckland last year but then broke my heel and collar bone so couldnt ride for a while.
Roadsafe, Andrew & Lynne Templeton. www.roadsafe.co.nz (http://www.roadsafe.co.nz)

madboy
17th February 2005, 12:14
I did my basic handling with Andrew @ Roadsafe Feb last year, then did the CBTA Restricted shortly after, and the CBTA Full shortly after that. The advice Andrew gave me prior to applying was beg. Basically cos I had a very lengthy history - dangerous driving, driving while disq, couple of failures to stop, a few careless and God knows how many speeding tickets. In fairness, most of the biggies were years ago - the more recent ones were just the usual 120-odd on the mway type of thing.

But since I've never been booked on the bike, and luckily haven't either in the car since sitting the course, I haven't had to experience the LTSA post-match evaluation. I did get stopped in the car for another "120-odd on the mway" just between sitting the CBTA Full and sending the paperwork off to the LTSA, and rang the LTSA in a panic cos the last thing I wanted to do was get busted back to a learners again... umm, particularly since I've always owned a 400. But the LTSA guy said submit the paperwork anyway and hope they are too busy to check up on me - as it was a possibility that they wouldn't, or at least wouldn't in a timely manner. As luck would have it, the promised "ticket in the mail" never eventuated so it was a lucky reprieve.

Two Smoker
17th February 2005, 17:30

Hehehe, nice photo.... Sadly thats a sight i have seen a few times :disapint:

2_SL0
17th February 2005, 18:02
well... I think they might have issues with recent tickets.... I have done CBTA from learners to full... the whole hog. But I have had some big tickets in the past.... e.g like 149 in a 100k zone.

I was under the impression when I did mine that once you have your licence they cannot take it off you unless for the normal reasons. But while you are waiting for all the paperwork to be sorted you do not want to be pulled over as it will sound alarm bells, even if you have passed the course you would find that they will not give your licence at that point in time. However your file is flagged for the next 5 yrs to monitor whether the program is successfull, hence being part of the trial. The instructors comments to us was "You are being watched closely"

thehollowmen
17th February 2005, 22:11
I was under the impression when I did mine that once you have your licence they cannot take it off you unless for the normal reasons. But while you are waiting for all the paperwork to be sorted you do not want to be pulled over as it will sound alarm bells, even if you have passed the course you would find that they will not give your licence at that point in time. However your file is flagged for the next 5 yrs to monitor whether the program is successfull, hence being part of the trial. The instructors comments to us was "You are being watched closely"

We were told (and it was on the form I signed) that it was for 3 years... they're trying to see if this is a better licensing and training system than the 'old' (current) scheme.

If the people who go through the CBTA have on average less speeding tickets and accidents they might adopt it for everybody.

For newbies with no clue, I think hell yes the CBTA is a good idea...

DarkNinja
17th February 2005, 22:45
i just had a thought lastnight that andrew had said it was easy enough to get into the CBTA but they just want to watch and see if all your current and past practises improve into a more safer manner. Thats just what i remember anyway

Jeremy
18th February 2005, 20:16
Does anyone offer this in Auckland at the moment? I tried doing a seach with google and got no luck.

StoneChucker
18th February 2005, 20:56
Lord Riff Raff?
Hi there, welcome to the site... Thats quite a co-incidental name you got there :spudwave:

Darryboy
18th February 2005, 23:09
I think PassRite do one in AK.

www.passrite.co.nz

-edit:

Ghey! Under 25's need to have had their 6R for 9 months at least :angry2:

Riff Raff
19th February 2005, 07:13
Does anyone offer this in Auckland at the moment? I tried doing a seach with google and got no luck.

WTF? There's only room for one Riff Raff on this site - and I'm it!!! :angry2:

Edit: Welcome to the site, but I really think you should change your name... :shake:

Jeremy
19th February 2005, 07:13
Bah, they require a full license for class 1. I notice that the roadsafe.co.nz one doesn't maybe it'd be worth taking a trip all the way down to Wellington to do it.

DarkDream
19th February 2005, 12:03

For sure, googlise it......."Passrite"

arrrgghhh always the late poster.......ride anyone?

wolverine
26th February 2005, 22:22
Hey all,

I did the course at the end of January. It was all good and I thoroughly recommend it :niceone: - IF you are a careful and safe rider ! Here is my take on the 'watching' they do ;

The CBTA is a trial program, basically to see if this is a better way to licence people than making them get 9 - 12 months riding experience first. I.e. sit a supervised course to make sure u can handle the bike, and safe and can handle basic and trickier conditions.

Therefore, all the people going through the course at the moment are 'test subjects', technically getting around the LEGAL requirements with permission from LTSA (competence as assessed on the course).

As an outcome, in a few years they are going to look at the large group of all the people who went on this course. They are going to look at their driving record to assess the safety of their riding - i.e. tickets, demerits etc. If OVERALL this group ends up having a better track record for safety then this has a good chance of becoming a LEGALLY legitimate and standard way of motorcycle licencing - i.e. actual legislation.

HOWEVER, if they get to the end (I think it was a few years from now, 5 years all up or something from the start of the trial), and the people who do the course aren't markedly safer, then the new system will be canned.

SO, as said by someone before, those who do this course and then get tickets will REALLY fuck it up for everyone who comes after them. :brick:

I don't think the people running the CBTA course are being selective about who they enrol, but as motorcycle riders themselves they probably do want the scheme to be put into place overall in the future. As someone who went through this course and got my restricted waiting period over halved, I think it is a blood good system too ! However, their is the great potential for the FEW to ruin it for the MANY.

'Nuf said,...

V

BNZ
8th March 2005, 21:22
Who do you contact to do your CBTA in wellington. And if you are under 25 does it still matter how long you have had your restricted for?

Suney
9th March 2005, 06:19
I was reading the passrite site also and it said you must have a clean driving record
How important is this?

chris
9th March 2005, 08:42

Erm, no. I did the restricted to full course recently. When I applied I had 20 demerit points for speeding, received within the last 12 months. My understanding is that if you have been busted for any bike related law breakings, then that will go against you but does not mean you will not get accepted.
Best thing to do is, apply for the course and see what happens. You will not be accepted, and payment will not be taken, until you have been approved for the course by the LTSA.