PDA

View Full Version : Feb-Mar touring NZ

johanek
31st December 2008, 08:17
a slightly early happy new year to you all...

a quick introduction: i'm from new zealand, but have been living in the UK for a few years now, and this is home for me now. anyway, my girlfriend and i are going to visit in feb&march so i can show her around the old country. and of course i want to do it by motorcycle!

i got my license in the uk, so i've never driven/riden in nz. i've been reading the forums for a little while now to pick up some practical information about what is legal/acceptable (i.e. filtering), and i've gathered some good info

anyway, brass tacks: i want to buy a bike in early feb. renting for that length of time would just be too expensive. 600+, sports/tourer, can probably afford about $4000. something like a vfr750 might be right. my family are from christchurch, so based around there would be good - but i'd travel to pick something up.

i've been checking trademe and motorcycle trader to see what's out there, and i'll probably use that if i have to. but i thought i'd put it out there in case either anyone had something for sale soon - or wants to pick up a cheap bike at the end of march :)

Beemer
31st December 2008, 10:18
Can't help with the bike, but you two would be more than welcome to stay here for a few nights during your stay. Send me a PM for more details.

Faye

Mom
31st December 2008, 10:21
Ditto Beemer about the bike, and the bed, good time of the year to be travelling around too!

LBD
2nd January 2009, 22:16
Hi Buddy

I will be riding round early/mid feb

What dates are you around here?

Re Bike, drop Craig a line at Casbolts in Chch he is tied up with both sales and Rentals via VFRNZ a UK rental co and may have a deal for you.

Cheers

LBD

johanek
3rd January 2009, 11:00
Hiya

Thanks for all your replies. It's very kind to be offered such hospitality. As it is, I've met so many kiwis in the UK through sport, who have now returned to NZ that I'm very well sorted for accomodation. But thank you again.

My rough plan is that I arrive 7th Feb, get a bike as soon as possible, spend a couple of weeks in Chch and doing trips in the south island, then about a week in Wellington before meeting my girlfriend who arrives 2nd March in Auckland. A quick trip around the north island for about a week, before heading down to chch for family etc. Hopefully there should be time for a 10-14 day grand tour of the south island together, before flying off on the 30th March.

I saw that VFRNZ site before, as well as other rental places. They're saying £2000 for 3 weeks excluding GST - and I'm wanting something for 7 weeks. I just know it's not going to be affordable... insurance for motorcycle rental guys costs a bomb.

I really think that buying something is by far my better option. The ideal situation would be negotiating a buy back from a dealer so I don't mess around selling it afterwards. I had a look at casbolts site too - they didn't have anything much close to my budget :( But I'll keep an eye out closer to the time

Cheers for the advice

nico
5th January 2009, 16:12
be happy to go on a sight seeing ride around welly m8 just send me pm closer to the time sort something out for ya havnt asked wifie but im sure the couch is always free