PDA

View Full Version : Torn up credit card application

Slyer
31st December 2008, 12:55
http://www.cockeyed.com/citizen/creditcard/application.shtml
I find this pretty unbelievable...

Sparrowhawk
31st December 2008, 13:19
Could we say only in America?? Maybe. I have to say that I don't get pre-filled applications in the post here. Had the very occasional offer from Amex, but haven't even had one of those for years.:weep:

My solution though, would be to burn them. Then they really can't be pieced together. :cool:

slofox
31st December 2008, 15:28
'Twould be difficult to piece together the products of my shredder.....confetti maker....
However, I have not been bothered for a while by such supplications...

roy.nz
31st December 2008, 16:11
Its better that the application got torn up. You dont want those evil things :angry2:

blairh
31st December 2008, 16:52
Crazy.. it's far too easy to get a credit card these days!

Gremlin
1st January 2009, 00:27
The company should be absolutely roasted...

To have such lax security :mellow:

racerhead
1st January 2009, 01:29
Sh1t thats scary easy to do that:shit:

Lucky I burn anything with my personal details

Paris
1st January 2009, 06:32
Well dodgy - not sure what is worse, the ability for someone to steal your ID and credit card, or the letters from the cc companies offering cards with stupidly high limits!? wonder if the cc companies would cover you if someone did nick your ID?

BiK3RChiK
1st January 2009, 12:38
As I understand it, once your identity has been stolen, you are pretty much toast for years getting credit:nono: and the fight is huge to clear your name with repo and debt collector agencies.:oi-grr: Any and all caution with regard to financial and personal information is a must these days.

Usarka
1st January 2009, 13:16
And I was mocked for buying a shredder! Muhahahahahahahaaa.

retro asian
1st January 2009, 13:36
I always accept the credit :2thumbsup

davereid
2nd January 2009, 07:44
Stealing your indentity is just too easy.

How often have you been asked for D.O.B. and Drivers Licence numbers just to connect a cellphone or hook up the power or for a service you dont really need ?

You share (the correct) versions of these things very much at your own risk.

Not so many years ago my "confidential" application for a local chartered club may have proved this.

The elderly woman processing the application spelled my surname wrong, and thats how my membership arrived. I didn't worry about it, it seemed irrelevant.

But only a few weeks later I started getting posted life insurance offers, made out with the same mis-spelling. Life insurance grew, to health insurance, cellphones, etc etc.

Did the club sell my details ?

I'll never know.

So now, when they say "we need your DOB and drivers licence number to identify you for your secuity" I politely refuse, and go elsewhere.

James Deuce
2nd January 2009, 08:17
As I understand it, once your identity has been stolen, you are pretty much toast for years getting credit:nono: and the fight is huge to clear your name with repo and debt collector agencies.:oi-grr: Any and all caution with regard to financial and personal information is a must these days.

Been there, though it wasn't a deliberate attempt, just a Government Dept. cock up. Thank you Terranet.

Many 10s of thousands of dollars later in legal fees ($800 a phone call soon adds up) we have a clear credit record.

Naki Rat
2nd January 2009, 09:18
One of our credit cards (a Mastercard) has an intentionally low credit limit on it as it is used for online purchases and I figure this will limit loss if we ever get hit by a fraudster.

I've lost count of the amount of times we have received preapproved credit extensions for that card, which are duly shredded. As we pay off the balance of credit cards in full every month I figure the credit card company presume we need more debt to rectify the situation :finger:

BiK3RChiK
2nd January 2009, 18:09
Stealing your indentity is just too easy.

How often have you been asked for D.O.B. and Drivers Licence numbers just to connect a cellphone or hook up the power or for a service you dont really need ?

You share (the correct) versions of these things very much at your own risk.

Or the other day when I took something back to a store where I had been overcharged for something and because I'd charged it to my credit card, they refunded the amount to back to my credit card, asking for driver licence id!!! WTF??? You have my credit card lady! You don't need further id...