PDA

View Full Version : Courtesy on New Zealand roads

McJim
1st January 2009, 17:35
Regular readers of McJim's drivel will be aware that I have a bee in my bonnet about courtesy on New Zealand roads (or lack therein) and believe this to cause an inordinate amount of pain and suffering among the denizens of this fine country (not to mention the empty pockets of ACC!).

I would like to take this opportunity to be big enough to say that I was wrong in my sweeping accusations. I got a new tyre for the bike a couple of days ago and decided to scrub it in by way of the Catlins. You don't generally meet many cars on that road and today I had occasion to be behind 5 cars on different occasions. Every single one of them pulled into the left at the first opportunity to let me past :gob: I ensured that on each occasion I let them know how pleased I was at their actions :2thumbsup

The final instance where I had cause to pass a car was on a straight piece of road heading back to Invercargill. Although straight it has a number of blind summits so I waited for good visibility over a long stretch before indicating my intention and accelerating past the car. To my amazement when I was level with the car he applied the brakes to ensure my maneuovre was safe without the need for excessive speed.:clap:

What a nice guy.

My faith in all things Kiwi has been restored.

Ocean1
1st January 2009, 17:51
It's taken you this long to figure out things are a tad different down there?

scumdog
1st January 2009, 17:55
You're drunk aren't you??

Courtesy on NZ roads is as rare as a taniwha.

OK, maybe down here it MAY exist.

wbks
1st January 2009, 17:59

.Wrong. Last time I was around big development sites courtesy seemed pretty rare

98tls
1st January 2009, 18:03

OK, maybe down here it MAY exist. What is a taniwha?

Katman
1st January 2009, 18:03
As a rather revealing sidenote..........

I drove down to the Boxing Day races in the ute. Through the Paraparas I slowed and moved over for countless bikes and got a wave of acknowledgement from one of them.

Interesting.

FJRider
1st January 2009, 18:10

YOUR neigbourhood... you expect less... quality enforcement in "that" area...maybe... :chase:

MIXONE
1st January 2009, 18:11
What is a taniwha?

A thing quite capable of stopping large developments and other worthwhile workings.

ElCoyote
1st January 2009, 18:12
What is a taniwha?

There may well be numerous Taniwha but there is one hungry little bastard that gobbles up money whenever a new road is proposed in the Waikato. Personally I would like to shove something up his arse after I lit the fuse.............but that's just me. :whistle:

FJRider
1st January 2009, 18:13

I drove down to the Boxing Day races in the ute. Through the Paraparas I slowed and moved over for countless bikes and got a wave of acknowledgement from one of them.

Interesting.

I make a point of waving (more than one finger) for those that pull over to let me pass...:rockon:

98tls
1st January 2009, 18:15

Interesting. Down here anyway it seems car drivers pull over to let you past often,some annoy the shit outta me as there was no reason to really unless they get some satisfaction out of showering me with stones:angry:that aside they mean well and i always give em a wave of thanks.

FJRider
1st January 2009, 18:18
Down here anyway it seems car drivers pull over to let you past often,some annoy the shit outta me as there was no reason to really unless they get some satisfaction out of showering me with stones:angry:that aside they mean well and i always give em a wave of thanks.

stone chips...:angry2:

98tls
1st January 2009, 18:32
stone chips...:angry2: Actually mate no,the old TL is a two wheeled testament to the clear plastic covering stuff,10 years on and theres honestly not one stone chip on the fairing.I have the stuff everywhere even on fork outers,works a treat.

FJRider
1st January 2009, 18:45
Actually mate no,the old TL is a two wheeled testament to the clear plastic covering stuff,10 years on and theres honestly not one stone chip on the fairing.I have the stuff everywhere even on fork outers,works a treat.

Testament to the older bikes... dont have to wrap them in cotton, wool or plastic to protect them. I just hate those stone chips on my KNEE CAPS... :angry2:

Mully
1st January 2009, 18:45
A thing quite capable of stopping large developments and other worthwhile workings.

Until a suitably large payment has been made to the proper 'authorities' of course.

Hitcher
1st January 2009, 18:49
What is a taniwha?

It is a mythical creature used to extort money from gullible pakeha.

motorbyclist
1st January 2009, 18:54
What is a taniwha?

i'm told it's the reason there is still a one way bridge to get to kopu/coromandel despite being a busy, major highway

Jantar
1st January 2009, 18:59
Cunning taniwha. It allowed a single lane bridge without any problem, but threatens mayhem if a larger structure is planned?

98tls
1st January 2009, 19:02
It is a mythical creature used to extort money from gullible pakeha. Same one that just lost an election?

roy.nz
1st January 2009, 19:04
Dont get me started with this kinda thread.

BM-GS
1st January 2009, 19:09
Courtesy alive & well most places without high population density. In my experience, that means generally crap in Auckland, fine elsewhere.

Though my most aggressive driver encounter was with a 4x4 out in the East Cape, but he was such an exception that he stuck out like a sore thumb.

I always try to acknowledge those who do nice things for me, unless changing gear/panicking at that point... The dozens encountered one wet Welly morning rush as I tried to get back to the ferry dock on my detour to Lower Hutt from the CBD may disagree. Is there a sign to the ferry from the city yet?

McJim
1st January 2009, 19:29
Well I found it a refreshing change even for down here. So much so I thought it worthy of note.

Courtesy costs nothing.

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.

etc.

Ixion
1st January 2009, 19:39

Nonsense. It is a rare day that i am not the beneficiary of some act of consideration or courtesy by other road users. And a rarer day when I fail to find an opportunity to reciprocate in kind. And of course I always acknowledge such acts of grace. As do most of those to whom I extend them.

Ocean1
1st January 2009, 19:41
Is there a sign to the ferry from the city yet?

What would be the point? We know when we've got here.

FJRider
1st January 2009, 19:48
Is there a sign to the ferry from the city yet?

Yep... its the one with Ferry >>> on it...

MIXONE
1st January 2009, 19:52
Until a suitably large payment has been made to the proper 'authorities' of course.

NZ's version of the Ghost Busters!:crazy:

Dave Lobster
1st January 2009, 20:58
NZ's version of the Ghost Busters!:crazy:

Such a pity we don't have a mythbusters..

McJim
1st January 2009, 21:29
So how come my courtesy thread got hijacked into a bash the Maori mythology thread eh?

We have a Taniwha in Scotland although we use it to draw tourists and create commerce rather than extort taxpayers money.

anyone want to buy authentic photos of the Loch Ness Monster? (Seriously - the photos are authentic - it's just the beastie that's a fake...oops...national secret out - don't tell!)

98tls
1st January 2009, 21:36
So how come my courtesy thread got hijacked into a bash the Maori mythology thread eh?

We have a Taniwha in Scotland although we use it to draw tourists and create commerce rather than extort taxpayers money.

anyone want to buy authentic photos of the Loch Ness Monster? (Seriously - the photos are authentic - it's just the beastie that's a fake...oops...national secret out - don't tell!) Oi,bashing nothing,still awaiting someone to tell me what Taniwha actually means.

Usarka
1st January 2009, 21:39
Oi,bashing nothing,still awaiting someone to tell me what Taniwha actually means.

From http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=taniwha

Taniwha
In Maori mythology, Taniwha are beings that live in deep pools in rivers, dark caves, or in the sea, especially in places with dangerous currents or deceptive breakers. Some can tunnel through the earth, uprooting trees in the process. Some taniwha are credited with creating harbours by carving out a channel to the ocean

The taniwha said you can't build that motorway until you've paid me enough money and the mps agreed.

98tls
1st January 2009, 21:43
From http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=taniwha

Taniwha
In Maori mythology, Taniwha are beings that live in deep pools in rivers, dark caves, or in the sea, especially in places with dangerous currents or deceptive breakers. Some can tunnel through the earth, uprooting trees in the process. Some taniwha are credited with creating harbours by carving out a channel to the ocean

The taniwha said you can't build that motorway until you've paid me enough money and the mps agreed. Cheers...............

pete376403
1st January 2009, 23:01
Oi,bashing nothing,still awaiting someone to tell me what Taniwha actually means.

If you're old enough you may remember it as a brand of soap (or soap powder)

kiwifruit
2nd January 2009, 00:21

Interesting.

How many bikers did you learn? :dodge:

Pixie
2nd January 2009, 08:50
What is a taniwha?

It's a washing powder from days of yore.

R1madness
2nd January 2009, 09:05
I find that road courtasy works both ways, Solw down as you come up behind a car, flash your pass light so they notice you, put on your indercator and watch them make room. It works 90% of the time. Sit right up their arse and they resent it and hold ya up. Simple manners really.