PDA

View Full Version : Help please

bones135
4th January 2009, 07:10
My bike seems to run rough at low speed in a lower gear, riding through town in traffic it sometimes seems to missfire or cough sort of thing.
I am running on 96/97?? which is what the guy i got it from reccomended.
Also is there anything i can do to the pipes to make it sound a bit throatier without going to extremes?
Any (nice)lol advice would be cool, cheers.

hospitalfood
4th January 2009, 07:38
it may not like round town riding, try reving a bit higher between the lights.
it is also worth running half a tank of 91 through it to see if that is better, a friend of mine was told to run his 748 on 91 by the experts.

as for the pipe, im sure there are options but it is important to get the right pipe as it will affect the fuel-air mix and you may need to make other changes (air filter, fuel system etc ) to get it to run properly with the right fuel-air mix. i would leave it until you have sorted the other problems.

bones135
4th January 2009, 07:42
Thanks for that, i was thinking about trying 91 to see if theres any change.
Not too fussed about the sound just curious if anything can be done,lol

hospitalfood
4th January 2009, 07:56
an old fav is to pull the pipe apart and remove parts of the can ( baffles, fiberglass packing ) to get more noise.
if the bike computer measures O2 in the exhaust, it may adjust the mix to allow for less back pressure, sometimes the difference is beyond the bikes ability to allow for.
if the bike does not change the mix by itself, you need to do it. otherwise it will run lean which can burn out pistons and cause other problems.

it will also affect the power, generally you will get more top end power with less back pressure but lose bottom and mid range power.

i think ( i may be wrong ) your model is not really made for putting around town, if it runs fine on open road riding there is probably nothing wrong with it and you just need to rape it round town and hope it does not overheat.

i dont know all that much about them, a ducati owner with more knowledge may pipe up soon hopefully.

TLDV8
4th January 2009, 14:59
My bike seems to run rough at low speed in a lower gear, riding through town in traffic it sometimes seems to missfire or cough sort of thing.

The first thing would be to make sure the throttle bodies are synchronized and the TPS is set correctly. (imho)

bones135
4th January 2009, 15:01
Thanks again, might just leave it for now, still goes well enough,lol

piston broke
4th January 2009, 15:20
hey when you find out,let me know please.
mine is the same,doesn't like low revs at all.
mine isn't misfireing it just isn't smooth

bones135
4th January 2009, 16:11
Yup will do, if i find out, might just stay outa town,lol

F5 Dave
6th January 2009, 11:54
When did they change over to injection on the SS's? The older carbed models wear out the emulsion tubes oval (check out factorypro.com site, dig around it, there is info on this under emulsion tubes, mikuni).

bones135
7th January 2009, 05:52
Thanks i will check that out on the weekend.

bones135
14th January 2009, 11:02
Update. Well i have been running on 91 for the last 2 top ups & no real changes. It does seem a little better riding at a slower pace through town so buggered if i know.