PDA

View Full Version : Enough, everyone read please

gixxer-king
4th January 2009, 10:51
By now most of us are aware of the cheesecutter epidemic sweeping the nation, now most of us have very strong views against these things and for very good reason.

As it has been stated many times before that bitching to one another on these forums is getting us no-where.

So can anyone give us an address or contact person/s that we can approach and express our civilised feelings?

Maybe (as the trucks did and got results) a nation wide motorcycle and car protest will open some eyes and ears?

Would anyone like to volunteer to organise such an event?

Do we actually have pictures of small cars on the other side of these "barriers" as so many of us claim to have. This may help get cagers on our side. (what use are they to cars if they dont stop other cars???)

Pictures WITH CONSENT that can be used publicly or motorcycles that have come to greif with these things. (shock factor works great with little old ladies)

There are hundreds of threads on this topic and I dont think a single member of the AA LTSA NZTA or other abbreviation reads a single one. So its time to take the moaning one step higher.

Could anyone suggest how to get this on the news etc?

Many Thanks, and please lets not start brown stain flinging on this thread.

James Deuce
4th January 2009, 10:55
Errrr. Been and gone mate.

You should probably have a good read through the Cheesecutter campaign forums.

gixxer-king
4th January 2009, 11:19
have done. yep i know right... been and gone. yet amazingly these are still being built. still going up around where i and friends with bikes live, so clearly whatever happened didnt work. Im sick of the govt telling me they know whats best then trying their damndest to kill me. let people in cars that really dont know how to drive, put barriers up against their own rules that WILL chop me in half, fail to consult anyone on what they think on the idea. sorry mate but enoughs enough. Im still trying until someone listens, kinda like a black woman on a bus many years ago, some of you can sit and have houses burnt I'll do something about it.
All im asking is if there is support out there?

Quasievil
4th January 2009, 11:33
Been there done that........ no one listens.......... moving on........

riffer
4th January 2009, 13:48
Yep. I'm beginning to thing the only way to actually get some traction on this is to conduct a harsh demonstration, involving a large truck.

Deliberately wipe out a large section of the WRSBs.

Unfortunately, there's nasty legal implications.

Or maybe a boltcutter campaign. Prove how easily these things are destabilised.

Unfortunately, there's nasty legal implications with that too.

The problem is, that there's no way to actually get something done about it until you get enough people getting killed. And that's just not happening enough ATM so there's no will to question the claims that it works.

Daffyd
4th January 2009, 13:53
Anyone tried emailing the new Minister of Transport direct?
And maybe Andy Knutsacks, although he's a complete blithering idiot! I know this from personal experience!

Katman
4th January 2009, 17:50
Here's my help.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=76883

sunhuntin
4th January 2009, 18:08
yep, sadly its been tried and failed at several locations around the north island, including taking it right to both transhits and the govts doorsteps. they fed us a pile of drivel that they thought we wanted to hear, and we tucked our tails between our legs and left.

we just got back from welly, and they are repairing a large section protecting one of the streams on the southbound side. by large, i mean several car lengths. fortunately, no damage to said stream or its banks.

STOLLI R1
4th January 2009, 19:33
Seems like the Govt. would prefer that we choose more carefully where we crash please. I personally don't have a problem with the wire if its used on road that is straight or close to it, and flat. Where I don't like to see it is on hills with off camber corners (exhample- Haywards Hill) where you might be the victim of a chemical or oil spill. I don't really fancy the idea of coming out the other side looking like Mcain oven chips.
If something really is able to be done then I'll support it.

Oh yes, I would much rather they used concrete blocks as that would be preferable to the nasty wire in every case. You have to choose your battles though, maybe we could get them removed from nasty spots like those mentioned above?

McDuck
4th January 2009, 19:35
Cant be hard to pick up a light, low car and put radio controls in it and drive it into a chese cutter as a demo?

Ocean1
4th January 2009, 20:00
Cant be hard to pick up a light, low car and put radio controls in it and drive it into a chese cutter as a demo?

I did offer.

A light, low Kenworth.

With a 72" Jiffy steel saw mounted on the side.

By my calculations at around 300HP and 1200rpm it'd cut a post in slightly more than a second.

You'd hear it from literally miles away though.

McDuck
4th January 2009, 20:18
I did offer.

A light, low Kenworth.

By my calculations at around 300HP and 1200rpm it'd cut a post in slightly more than a second.

The thing is long term we dont want to just cut the barsteds out we need to change opnian....

Ocean1
4th January 2009, 20:30
The thing is long term we dont want to just cut the barsteds out we need to change opnian....

No, prevailing opinion is that they're a marginally cheaper option with unfortunate side effects for a minority of road users. The only people that think otherwise are a those that believe certain official propaganda.

We just want to cut the bastards down.

McDuck
4th January 2009, 20:57
No, prevailing opinion is that they're a marginally cheaper option with unfortunate side effects for a minority of road users. The only people that think otherwise are a those that believe certain official propaganda.

And we need to change that opnian. Show that they do not stop trucks and cut the heads off small cars and there drivers.

Sadly the fact that they harm motorcyclests will not get most of NZ active, we need pics of comuter cars cut in half, trucks going over them, child crash dummys cut in half, bring it home to people in a way that they can relate it to themselfs.

Ocean1
4th January 2009, 21:01
we need pics of comuter cars cut in half, trucks going over them, child crash dummys cut in half, bring it home to people in a way that they can relate it to themselfs.

All freely available on teh interwebs.

What isn't is an advertising budget to match the official one.

McDuck
4th January 2009, 21:06
I did offer.

A light, low Kenworth.

Also have you concidered a john dear 9630? I recon that with the right inplement on the back you could cruze down the barsteds at 50kph..... http://www.deere.com/en_US/cfd/construction/deere_const/media/images/newsroom/9630_scraper_tractor2_lg.jpg

McDuck
4th January 2009, 21:08
I did offer.

A light, low Kenworth.

All freely available on teh interwebs.

What isn't is an advertising budget to match the official one.

What sombodys old padock basher and the bits from an old RC plane?

I know there is a little more than that but come on?

Ocean1
4th January 2009, 21:26
What sombodys old padock basher and the bits from an old RC plane?

One feels there's more points for artistic merit in the massive engineering overkill approach. More in keeping with the intent behind the original installation.

gixxer-king
6th January 2009, 17:17
Okey dokey, well I emailed Handy Nutsacks and are awaiting a reply. basically some photos of what small cars look like on the other side of the road and what trucks look like parked on top of his pretty barriers. 1 or 2 of the odd motorcycle but they were overseas so maybe the touch will be lost slightly.

Im hoping maybe that with the confusing facts put to him he can read the bold print down the bottom that states "IT IS OVERALL CHEAPER TO CONTINUE TO USE THE CONCRETE CENTER BARRIER DUE TO HEAVILY REDUCED MAINTAINENCE COSTS" but again I may well be wasting my breathe.

Hey Guys I do like the idea of a modified John Deere as maybe a plan B. Could KiwiBiker perhaps sponsor us a motor mower ah I mean Demonstration Vehicle????

MDR2
7th January 2009, 18:54
It's probably stupid for saying this, but wouldn't having a large corporation like ACC backing the anti wsb idea add a bit more grunt to the battle?

mind you, they do have to remain impartial to whoever is in power at the time be it national or labour so they probably wouldn't speak out about the problem.

Just made sense in my head, barriers mean more damage to riders, more damage to riders = more cost to system they've spent money on improving saftey around the home, why not take it to the road? sorry, im rambling

MSTRS
8th January 2009, 08:07
It's probably stupid for saying this, but wouldn't having a large corporation like ACC backing the anti wsb idea add a bit more grunt to the battle?

mind you, they do have to remain impartial to whoever is in power at the time be it national or labour so they probably wouldn't speak out about the problem.

Just made sense in my head, barriers mean more damage to riders, more damage to riders = more cost to system they've spent money on improving saftey around the home, why not take it to the road? sorry, im rambling

I'm sorry, but 'everyone' knows that WRBs save lives etc and are cheaper than concrete. ACC will not back the campaign simply because there have not been enough bikers hurt by this shit. In fact, the barrier type doesn't make any difference to this argument...if a biker hits any barrier, he will be hurt.
We all know which sort we'd rather hit, if it came down to that, but we do not represent a big enough section of the road-using public to be factored into the all-important equations.
Only when this shit lines every inch of our country, and bikers are being sliced'n'diced every other day, will anyone take any notice.
Either that, or someone somewhere finds an unlimited funding source for an extended nationwide media campaign that can reach every motorist. An ad campaign that concentrates more on the dangers that 4-wheeled motorists are exposed to with this shit. One that shakes their belief that they are kept safe by the wires. One which opens their eyes to the reality of a system that kills bikers, and will not necessarily keep the cagers safe.
I have tried to get the Trucking industry, the Motorhome association and even Greypower interested, in ways which directly impacted each of those groups...Not even a response.

White trash
9th January 2009, 08:47
Well of course ACC isin't going to back it.

A dead biker costs alot less in medical treatment than an injured one. Simple maths.

gixxer-king
9th January 2009, 10:49
Well of course ACC isin't going to back it.

A dead biker costs alot less in medical treatment than an injured one. Simple maths.

good call. and anyway spending more money doesnt make FA when you are already 6 million down the crapper

Colapop
9th January 2009, 11:03
Cold hard facts. These need to be plastered on billboards. Nope there is no huge budget for this sort of campaign. But what about flyers? There are printers amongst us that are able to print large quantities of simple easy to read flyers. (Yes these guys need to be paid too but there are ways and means)

WRB = $XX/10 years
WRB = $XX ACC dollars/10 years
Concrete babrriers = $XX/10 years
Concrete barriers save lives

I dunno something like that with a fairly graphic example as a background?

gixxer-king
9th January 2009, 17:42
shit col. I love your style. maybe highjacking a tui billboard?, typically you get 2-3 days free advertising if its classy. anyone got a white sheet and some paint?

nico
11th January 2009, 09:36
the one by horokiwi gets creatively re-done very often if you look hard lots of exposure also was a very slow ride involving hundreds of bikers blocking lanes ie saw it on the web in uk i think?? to raise meda exposure seems if it's on the box any one will beleive it

gixxer-king
11th January 2009, 09:41
thats the one i was aiming for, might make a start tomorrow. maybe : Wire Rope Barriers are perfectly safe... Yeah Right, then when that gets taken down: Im gonna stop campagining against wire rope barriers because you took my sign down... yea right

nico
11th January 2009, 14:14
nice 1 ill be looking

fLaThEaD FreD
11th January 2009, 15:05
I seem to remember that Phosphoric Acid can be carried in plastic.......but will eat through steel!!!! :blip::yeah:

BigG
11th January 2009, 15:24
By now most of us are aware of the cheesecutter epidemic sweeping the nation, now most of us have very strong views against these things and for very good reason.

As it has been stated many times before that bitching to one another on these forums is getting us no-where.

So can anyone give us an address or contact person/s that we can approach and express our civilised feelings?

Maybe (as the trucks did and got results) a nation wide motorcycle and car protest will open some eyes and ears?

Would anyone like to volunteer to organise such an event?

Do we actually have pictures of small cars on the other side of these "barriers" as so many of us claim to have. This may help get cagers on our side. (what use are they to cars if they dont stop other cars???)

Pictures WITH CONSENT that can be used publicly or motorcycles that have come to greif with these things. (shock factor works great with little old ladies)

There are hundreds of threads on this topic and I dont think a single member of the AA LTSA NZTA or other abbreviation reads a single one. So its time to take the moaning one step higher.

Could anyone suggest how to get this on the news etc?

Many Thanks, and please lets not start brown stain flinging on this thread. Yep go and steal some C4 from some whare and blow them up on the motorway that will certainly get some attention.

Chocky
11th January 2009, 21:55
Cold hard facts. These need to be plastered on billboards. Nope there is no huge budget for this sort of campaign. But what about flyers?

If somone sent an email to every KB'r with the format for a flyer and we each printed off 20-30 coppy's (hell I wldnt mind doing a whole ink cartridge, maybe a reem) and delivered them localy how many thousand would that be???

MSTRS
12th January 2009, 07:29
Great idea. It's been mooted before. But apathy roolz, innit?

jrandom
12th January 2009, 07:40
... bitching to one another on these forums is getting us no-where.

Nonsense. Plenty of people get plenty of satisfaction from it. You can't discount that. Better for the psyche than bottling it up.

prettybillie
12th January 2009, 11:00
Nonsense. Plenty of people get plenty of satisfaction from it. You can't discount that. Better for the psyche than bottling it up.

I agree - if you don't like the bitching, stop bitching about it mwahahahaha