PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Suzuki DR250 oil needs?

MAC_HATER
5th January 2009, 11:32
Hey guys,

a friend of mine suggested i sign up here as you guys might be able to help me out :innocent:

ive had a search here but nothing seems to solve my question

basically ive got a 2001 Suzuki DR 250 (bought it thinking it was a 1996 model but nope the chassis stamp says 2001)

its been my farm\ hack bike for a good 3 years now and its given me hours of fun and scares - but recently ive been getting into going to trail ride events and im really enjoying it

but that aside with this being my only bike and im not able to just go out and get another one if this one karks it id like to keep it in good operating condition since its found a new cause in trail riding - with the trail riding its getting a rather harsh beating compared to pottering around the farm so id like to look after it and get its oil and filter changed

trouble is i don't know what type of oil it uses :shit:

id go into the bike shop and go for whatever they think is best but down here they can spot a noob a mile away and start grinning gold teeth :angry:

id like to be able to go in there and know that what im getting is the right stuff for the bike instead of relying on what they tell me

so if you guys are able to help - what oil grade would my bike use? also is there a brand that stick out better quality than others?

Cheers guys cant wait to get into this forum properly :Punk:

tri boy
5th January 2009, 11:41
Any of the known brands like Castrol, Motul, Shell etc will have a motorcycle specific 15/40 weight semi synthetic that will fit the needs you have.
Change it regular, as DR's don't hold alot, and any form of trail riding is quite hard on gearboxs/clutchs etc.
Fully synthetic is quite expensive, and probably not required. Check the prices and decide, but don't by cheap shit oil.:niceone:

MAC_HATER
5th January 2009, 11:49
brilliant thanks for that! :2thumbsup

i want to get the oil changed in it now as apart from getting the oil done while its in the shop it hasn't been that regular (farm use didn't really clock up the hours\k's to do regular changes) but now its getting use and abused a lot more with trail rides id like to get onto this as i don't want to have to be rescued with a blown engine that i cant afford to repair :(

Cheers for that Mate :)

MAC_HATER
5th January 2009, 17:28
hehe turns out i went and spent a lot anyway

got a good solid helmet a set of gloves and a awesome set of goggles too

it seems that all they sell down here is Elf for bike oil - but my dad swears by the stuff so i think i can believe him :innocent:

will go and change the oil tomorrow - do you guys know where i would be able to get a workshop manual for the bike? there seems to be a few sites that have PDF's of them but want USD$99.99+ for the privilege!

if i really have to i can wing it but id rather know i did it properly :sweatdrop

MAC_HATER
6th January 2009, 14:11
right - changed the oil in the car and the bike today (god damn cars are so complicated to the less than 8 minutes required for the bikes oil change :2thumbsup

anyway the oil that came out of the bike would make a blind man cry and i nearly shat kittens when i saw it

so in goes the new oil and after 5 minutes running its now the same color as the oil that came out :(

its going to need probably another 2 filter and oil changes before i will be happy that the oil is in good condition so ill go order that stuff tomorrow :dodge:

EDIT: a friend of mine suggests i do an oil flush before i put the new oil and filters in - i think this is a good idea but am unsure on what to flush it with - would a bottle of nulon oil flush from repco do the trick? or is there special stuff needed for bikes?

Cheers :D