PDA

View Full Version : My Motorcycle Diary

Ms Piggy
16th February 2005, 22:02
Ok, here's the beginnings. It may end up being quite long but you don't have to read it if you don't so just let me post away to my hearts content. :)

bugjuice
16th February 2005, 22:07
good luck and have fun!! keep it rubber side down..

crashe
16th February 2005, 22:10
well this should be fun to read......
that is when she finally starts the diary...lol

Ms Piggy
16th February 2005, 22:11
On the Lynx! Crossing at 8am. I met a couple of other bikers, 1 of them very kindly helped me tie down Betty using the fabulous tie downs I was loaned by Bung Bung (cheers!). I ended up sitting with this chap and also bumped into an old work colleague. A nice relaxing crossing.

I met up with Chick’n’Charge at her place, I had got my arrival time slightly wrong and so she was still in her jammies when I 1st texted her but fully geared up by the time I arrived C’n’C and I rode down to catch Stevo and see what he was up to, he was still working on his quad bike and so wasn’t able to ride over with us to Nelson.

The ride to Nelson was pretty relaxing, a little bit of traffic around, a few sweeping corners and 1 jerk who insisted in tail gating C’n’C. We rode directly to the place I was staying, Tahuna Beach Accommodation Park http://tahunabeachholidaypark.co.nz/ and I checked in. C’n’C and I went for lunch at a café nearby (see pics) and then I farewelled her.

Tahuna Motor camp is a great place and the room I had was very tidy with enough amenities to be able to actually cook your own meal if you wanted – fridge, hotplate, dishes, cutlery, a telly and I was quite close to the loos and showers but not tooooooooo close. Went for a swim at the beach – lovely!!! (See pics) Day 1 over! I was on holiday and doing what I love!!! But feeling a little lonely.

Ms Piggy
16th February 2005, 22:22
Ok so up and breakfast of cereal, yoghurt and coffee. I rode through to Nelson and tried to get a street map, the impossible task! 2 Shell stations and neither had 1, so I had to rely on texted directions from Nordie Boy and streets with no names! Eventually I found his place and settled in for a bit of a natter and a cuppa. About 11.30ish we headed off for a trip over the mighty Takaka Hill Road! One of the roads I had on my list to ride! We rode through via Moutere and Motueka (a much nicer route I thought) and stopped in Motueka for a quick bite to eat and carried on. The fantastic Takaka Hill – yahoooooooooo! Not a lot of traffic and (as Nordie Boy has already mentioned) those that were about pulled over! Miracle! Nordie Boy covered the ride very well, including us meeting up with rdrzcbr who was helping his poor mate who had just binned off his Ducati.

So after a bit of a rest and a drink at a café in Takaka (see pics) Nordie Boy was on his way and I went onto the backpackers. Gazebo backpackers http://www.pohara.com/gazebo/ (see pics). I also had a meal at Wholemeal Trading Co. a very good café/bar. Takaka was really just a place to sleep and I was pretty tired but still feeling a bit lonely.

Ms Piggy
16th February 2005, 22:30
Up earlyish and off to Farewell Spit. Nice sweeping roads and lovely scenes and a absolutely gorgeous backpackers called The Inlet http://www.goldenbayindex.co.nz/backpackers.htm.
This was by far my favourite place for accommodation on the ride. It is set into the native bush and Tui flit around like black birds, it was tidy, the bed was comfy and the owners were very friendly and relaxed but very professional as well. And look at that sunset!!! (see pics)

Another swim and I was even able to have a bit of a skinny dip as there was no one on the beach for a while. Tee hee! The ride was nothing really to speak of as it wasn’t that far to go from Takaka. I had a meal that night at the only restaurant called The Old School Café, the disadvantage of being on the bike was the limited room to take food to cook and stuff that wouldn’t perish either of course.

Ms Piggy
16th February 2005, 22:35
This morning I left The Inlet at around 9am I think. I was getting all geared up to go and b/c The Inlet is a no shoes house I had left my boots at the doorstep, I went to put 1 of my boots on and something that felt like sticks was in the toes. I took it off again and stuck my hand in to fish them out and thought better of it and gave my boots a shake, the “sticks” fell down the boot but then leapt back up into the toe! I shook it harder and banged it on until a HUGE spider came out! (see pic!!!) YUK!

A cruising day, destination Motueka. On my way from Takaka I made a diversion to Pohara (9kms from Takaka on the coast) and had a swim, lovely, lovely, lovely! I also stopped in Takaka and had a chat to my flatmates Dad (he owns the bike shop in Takaka, Quiet Revolution) he was telling me that Betty had been sitting at the Takaka BP for about 6yrs before he bought her. So she was coming home (kinda).

A very hot day so I took it really slow going back over the Takaka Hill Rd, I kept thinking of that Duke all over the paddock and decided as much as I’d like a ride in a Helicopter that wasn’t the way I’d be doing it! I arrived at my next accommodation spot, The Happy Apple Backpackers http://www.happyapplebackpackers.co.nz/ Very tidy and friendly. I even got a little room on my own! I ended up doing a lot of my washing cos my jeans were just about standing up straight! Ewwwwwwww!!! A feed of marinated mussels, white bread and a 750ml Heineken – perfect! Still feeling a little lonely *sigh*

Ms Piggy
16th February 2005, 22:36
I promise. I'm glad the pics seem ok, although my camera seems to sometimes not centre things properly...nothing to do with the operator of course!

StoneChucker
16th February 2005, 22:43
Thanks for the first installment. I'm looking forward to going myself now, and especially the biggie next March '06.

I gotta say, that spider would have freaked me out. I don't mind spiders, but I don't like to be surprised by them, in my clothing (except white tails, they meet their maker everytime I see one)

I love the sound of the solitary experience, just you - the bike - the beaches - the Inlet and the native flora..............
But, it's also nice shared with somone.

Keep em coming :wari:

Ms Piggy
16th February 2005, 22:50
good luck and have fun!! keep it rubber side down..
Ummmmmmm, helloooooooooooooooooooooo. Where have you been mate. I've just been and have been posting as I've gone! :killingme

LB
17th February 2005, 03:57
Good write-up CSL, looking fwd to the next instalment. Wonderful sunset.

(makes mental note to always check boots for spiders even if not left outside)

Joni
17th February 2005, 06:34
Sounds amazing!!
Sound slike you had a good trip over all... next installment of story eagerly awaited... :niceone:

Pwalo
17th February 2005, 07:07
Hell I'm jealous. Looks like you had an amazing time. Way back Claire and I did the Picton/Blenhiem area on my RD400. Still looks the same!

You'll have to get some stickers for the RS. I'm sure that they came out in black as standard, so perhaps someone has a sticker set.

toads
17th February 2005, 07:20
awesome write up, I'm hanging out for the next installment, great pictures too!

bugjuice
17th February 2005, 08:03
Ummmmmmm, helloooooooooooooooooooooo. Where have you been mate. I've just been and have been posting as I've gone! :killingme
yeah, I realise that now...... :brick:

Biff
17th February 2005, 08:13
Great write up so far mate, please keep it coming. :niceone:

vifferman
17th February 2005, 08:40
Yeah, well done, CSL! :niceone:

Lias
17th February 2005, 08:50
Nice writeup, sounds like yer having a blast

Blakamin
17th February 2005, 09:21
I wanna go now!!!!!

excellent write up!!!

Hitcher
17th February 2005, 09:58
More. Please. Soon.

Motu
17th February 2005, 10:34
Great stuff CSL! This is what I like to see,people telling the story of their ride,photos and all the little details that make it memorable (like spiders!) You'll remember this holiday for the rest of your life....in later years the bike will be bigger and faster,the days sunnier...and the spiders HUGE.

Blakamin
17th February 2005, 11:01
...and the spiders HUGE.
I was waiting for it to be a weta in the boot!!!! :yeah:

Ms Piggy
17th February 2005, 14:03
Nice writeup, sounds like yer having a blast
No I'm not now b/c I'm back at work - I did (past tense) have (past tense) a blast. :) Sheesh these people who don't read posts proper like.

Oh yeah - I will be posting more, I'm typing it up at work and posting it at home where I have the pics. Thanks for all your positive comments. :niceone:

Paul in NZ
17th February 2005, 14:10
I was waiting for it to be a weta in the boot!!!! :yeah:

If you buy decent waterproof boots it won't get weta in your boot...

Motu
17th February 2005, 14:34
Ifa you haveah the Italian boot,no?

sels1
17th February 2005, 16:46
Ifa you haveah the Italian boot,no?

What is it with Italians and boots anyway - is it cause their country is shaped like one?

Keep the story coming CSL

Ms Piggy
17th February 2005, 19:11
http://www.west-coast.co.nz/140f.html Brilliant website that I only discovered today!

Going as far as Greymouth today. I started riding back out of Motueka but all the signs were pointing to Nelson and I knew I didn’t want to go back to Nelson, so I pulled over to look at the map I had (which wasn’t incredibly detailed) and I realised I didn’t have my cell phone! I’d left it back at the backpackers so went back picked it up and got some further direction from the woman there but, she initially tried to direct me back through Nelson as well! I’m glad I’d looked at my map and knew there was a much more interesting route. So the route I took was out of Motueka on SHW 61 and then turn off onto SHW 6 to go down the Buller Gorge. Beautiful! This would have been 1 of my favourite parts of the journey.

Ajturbo had reminded me to fuel up in Murchison (thanks mate!) where I encountered a campervan driver who had obviously put his sandals on too tight that morning. I had fuelled up and gone into the Service Station to use the loo, I came back out and was faffing around and noticed he was waiting.
“Oh sorry, are you waiting?”
Tight sandals man replied in an agitated, slightly squeaky voice, “Yes and I’ve been waiting for 5 to 10 minutes!”
“Oh ok.” So I moved thinking…5 to 10 minutes huh, yeah whatever.
Still agitated he said “Yes I can only fill up on this side!”
I thought he must have been in a major hurry to speed off at a maximum speed of 90kms in a cloud of diesel fumes but, nooooooooooo after having painfully waiting the 5 to 10 minutes I had delayed him he pulled over to the side of the forecourt! WTF!!! I must say I was muttering to myself as I rode along for a while and then realised that he obviously needed a holiday. Oh and by the way, he was a middle aged kiwi guy, not a tourist from another country.

Ajtrubo had also recommended a lunch stop at the Berlin café & bar (see pic), I think it must have been remodelled b/c it was pretty average, although it was nice to stop and get a cold beer. Actually I always used to say I’d “never” drink when I was riding but sometimes on those hot days a cold beer with my feed was definitely what I needed!

More beautiful, gorgeous, stunning scenery, sweeping roads and the occasional driver that slammed on their brakes coming into the corners, I managed to pass these types pretty promptly. Phew! Paul in NZ had recommended to me to ride down the coast road (SHW 6) and I was rewarded! Wow!! Gorgeous rock formations and lovely ocean and beaches. Obviously other people admired it also, especially the couple that had stopped in the middle of the road just over the brow of a hill when you get the 1st view you get of the beach! I gave them a horn blast from Betty and actually gave them a fright. Lucky for me the road turns into a double lane at that stage so I could safely pass instead of having to take any evasive action or becoming another road victim.

I arrived in Punakaiki and stopped for an OJ and thought that maybe I should have fuelled up when I turned off before Westport….hmmmmmm. I saw 3 other riders who stopped just before I left, I had a quick word and then carried on. Just out of Greymouth the tripmeter had flicked over to 173kms and Betty made her usual coughing & spluttering and I had to find the cock (which I am an expert at) and flick it onto reserve. Arrrrgggghhhh, eeeeeeeeeep! Having not checked how many litres my reserve tanks holds (me bad I know) I was a little worried (now I know it’s 3 litres) but I discovered that there is a petrol station in a little town called Runanga and I made it there. Although it turns out that I definitely could have made it to Greymouth anyway. DOH! Lesson learnt…well maybe, see later instalments!

I met my mate Craig in Greymouth (not a KBer or a rider) and we stayed in a place called Hams in Paroa, south of Greymouth. Nice place and good tucker!!! Best nights sleep I had, had yet or could that have been all the beer and gin? Oooooo, got to have a delicious whitebait pattie in white bread at Tramways Pub. Excellent!

Ms Piggy
17th February 2005, 19:16
No riding today! All driving! Well being driven around actually by Craig. We decided to drive to Karamea and do some sight seeing along the way. Another hot, hot day! We dropped Betty & Craig’s dogs off at a friend of Craig’s (Ken) and were on our way! 1st stop (no not the pub) the seal colony at Cape Foulwind, a nice little walk to see seals frolicking down below. Back down to sit in the shade and eat an ice cream and then off again. Blimin’ campervans!!! We got stuck behind some ignorant git that wouldn’t pull over. I’m sure everyone has had the same experiences but I found campervans to be the some of them to be the most ignorant drivers on the road!!!

Oh yeah! We also went to have a look at Pancake Rocks, they are so cool!!! While we were there we also spotted some Hectors Dolphins playing in the surf.

Then we drove up to Denniston (man I WISH I had ridden up that road! Deliciously twisty!!) We had a look around all the old coal workings and I took a couple of photos of the view, cool (see pics, not very good sorry)!

We then went on toward Karamea, it was getting onto 3 by this stage and we were both getting pretty hungry!! We stopped at a really gorgeous café in Granity called ‘Drifters’ and tried to find a breeze. Very yummy food & good cold beer! The roads into Karamea are really cool and definitely worth riding too, so I’ll go back again and ride them, lots of sweeping bits, some twisties and lined with beautiful native bush. By the time we got to Karamea we were sweltering, so straight to the river for a swim, swim, swim and then to the pub for a beer. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Very nice pub and nice and shady under the trees with our jugs of beer – I love the South Island!

The back to Westport to stay at a camping ground and have a fairly average meal at the Irish Pub there. The drive back took a lot less time than we both thought it would, that was of course b/c we weren’t tiki touring.

Ms Piggy
17th February 2005, 19:29
Driven back to Greymouth to pick up Betty, fuelled up and then headed to Reefton to meet Kickaha and Diesel Pig (see pic), they had been waiting a while b/c I took a bit of a diversion to Blackball. That took all of 10 minutes. On the map I had it had looked like I could ride right through Blackball but I discovered I couldn’t when I just about got squished by a truck coming out of the quarry! Ooooopppsss – a wrong turn somewhere. I drove past the Blackball Hilton and I really did wish I’d had time to stay there. It looks all class!!

Finally onto Reefton where I fuelled up and was told by the guy at the service station that it had just hit 31 degrees! Ouch! No wonder I was hot. I met up with Kickaha & Diesel Pig who had been waiting in the shade. The after a cold OJ we headed down SHW 7, it was really quite pretty and still a lot of native bush & shade. We made a stop at Springs Junction and that’s when the temperature really started cranking up and the wind too! It wasn’t overly windy but, I think that combined with the heat made it a really difficult days riding! We stopped again at Culverden, which is when Kickaha noticed that my side cover was missing (buggery bollocks!!). Then we went onto Hurunui and just about threw ourselves in the river. OMG! Bliss! Lots of dunking ensued – that Kickaha is a bully!! Diesel Pig headed back home from there and Kickaha and I went to Hurunui pub, I had Whitebait fritters but they were nowhere near as good as the ones at Tramways on the West Coast. Kickaha then took me round to Diesel Pigs place and showed me his Black Betty. Not nearly as cool as the real thing.

That was the most challenging day of riding on the whole trip and for a seasoned rider like Kickaha to say it was too hot to ride, is really saying something!

Ms Piggy
17th February 2005, 19:36
Today we rode over to Akaroa. There is another write up and some great pics courtesy
of Warren http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=8606&highlight=akaroa It was good to meet some of the Christchurch Kbers – Dangerous, Manu Boy, Gav, Tony_B, R1AaronKDX, Biff Baff, Warren, Kickaha, 2 non-Kbers (I think) and myself. Stevo turned up later when everyone else had buggered off but that was ok cos it meant we all got steak for dinner & then steak for breakfast! YUM! A fantastic ride & fabulous road but lots of traffic (boo hissssssss), we stopped at there summit for a gander at the amazing view (see pics) then stopped on the waterfront for a drink & a chat. Kickaha, Warren & I all stayed in Akaroa with Stevo (as I said) turned up later. It’s a real pity that the Christchurch roads get so clogged up with cars b/c they are so niiiiice!

Ms Piggy
17th February 2005, 20:29
My journal entry says:
“494kms!! Yahoo! Exhausted, hot, horny & tired! But also exhilarated and happy."

I had ridden from Akaroa to Fox Glacier. An amazing ride that I enjoyed thoroughly! Warren, Stevo, Kickaha & I all rode back from Akaroa that morning and decided to go over the ‘scenic route’, unfortunately it was very foggy and not that enjoyable. It was a pretty narrow road too but, I think it would have been a much nicer ride if it had been a sunny day (next time!).

Now I must also explain Warren’s pic of Kickaha & Stevo push starting Betty. We were riding up the road, Kickaha was the leader and turned up right but none of us realised. So we all went to turn around and I stalled (ahhhh bollocks!!), normally I can restart Betty (please note: she is only kick start) on hills sweet as but with the extra load (Not me! The gear!) she wasn’t gonna play fair and I flooded her and got exhausted and grumpy! Hence the push start!

Stevo farewelled me at Tai Tapu and Warren at the Hornby turnoff. Kickaha rode with me down the Old West Coast Rd and even let me ride the XJ for a while. Now I know why I want a BIGGER bike, I didn’t have to change gears for the slightest rise!

I said ‘bob-bye’ to Kickaha at the turnoff to Rangiora and carried on toward Arthurs Pass. Nice winding roads and a gradual change in the landscape from dry paddocks & rocky hills to lush green bush. The roads started of windy & hot but not as bad as when we rode the Lewis Pass, more nice sweepers and the Otira Gorge was great!!!! Very cool! Very pretty. Twisty & a little steep…16% according to the sign.

(I have posted a shorter version of the following story on the other thread) Now apparently there is a petrol pump at Arthurs Pass, the sign before you enter the township doesn’t state this but apparently there is. Kickaha had said to me when I fuelled up at Tai Tapu, “You’ll be right!” and I didn’t actually confirm with him if he meant I’d make to Arthurs Pass or to Hokitika – he meant Arthurs Pass, where apparently there is a petrol pump.

So I’m riding along and I slowed a bit when I came into the village and only saw a Diesel pump, no I didn’t stop and ask, who does that and risks looking stupid, I’d much rather run out of petrol than look a fool…oh hang on….I thought as I crusied through, “Hmmmmm, okaaaaaaay, maybe there’s a petrol stop at Otira, yeah there must be cos Craig stayed there, ok I’ll just keep riding.” Oh dear. No petrol pump at Otira and no cell phone reception. “Shit, shit, shit! OMG! How embarrassing if I run out! OMG! Ok, I’ll just keep riding and see how far I get. How stupid could I be!?” So I kept riding and saw a bloke stopped on the side of the road who looked like a local. The most hilarious thing! It turned out to be Ken, Craig’s mate who had let me park Betty up on his property. There wasn’t much he could do but, it was very comforting to see a familiar face (I had started feeling a little weepy & fragile, I’m a girl so I’m allowed to!), he told me that the next petrol stop was at Kumara 20 minutes away. “Ok then Betty, we’ll just keep going”. I had flicked onto reserve at 162kms on the trip meter and still had no idea how big my reserve tank was (some people don’t learn do they!). So we quietly putted along the road doing around 70kms/hr at the most and coasting in some places. I kept thinking, any minute now, any minute now…when it ticked over to 200kms I thought ok, ok anytime soon….waiting, waiting and then…….

………..

……………….

Well fuck me! We made it!!! I had gone 226.8kms and when I filled up Betty took 11.89 litres. Btw, if ya wanna know, my tank takes 12.5 litres and has a 3 litre reserve (I finally looked it up!). So after a well earned pee and a BIG drink of water I noticed a motorbike inside the petrol station, it was a Ducati, a fairly old one (see pics), we couldn’t see what year it was but it was for sale and you can call Kumara Auto Services, 03-736-9827, if you wanna ask about it. I must say Kumara was a strange little place, it had that twilight zone feeling and I didn’t really wanna hang around. Across the road from the petrol station was a run down house with 2 dogs tied up outside, 1 was shaggy & barking madly and the other was skinny and wearing a dress (no really it was!).

When I hear this melody
This strange illusion takes over me
Through a tunnel of the mind
Perhaps a present or future time oh, oh
Out of nowhere comes this sound
This melody that keeps spinning 'round & 'round
Pyramidal locomotion
From a mystic unknown zone

Hearin' the twilight
Hearin' the twilight tone

Unpretentious girl from Memphis
Saw the future through her third eye
People came with skepticism
Picking, testing her precision, no, wo, oh, oh
Suddenly they heard this sound
A signpost up ahead is calling
Through the mystic unknown zone

Hearin' the twilight
Twilight swept away, feelin' the rhythm
Hearin' the twilight
Twilight swept away, ba da, loo da, ba da loo da
Hearin' the twilight
Twilight tone

Submitted for your approval. One Mr. Miller, who's about
to take a trip into oddness and obsolescene, through a
zone whose boundaries are that of imagination.
Accompanying him on this journey is the mesmerizing
sound of the Twilight Tone.

On a cold & rainy night
One Mister Miller had a rare flight
Glen was up there boppin' a rhythm
Then the engine stopped to listen with him
Play that beat, oh, oh
Suddenly he heard this sound
Now he resides and plays trombone
In the mystic unknown zone

Hearin' the twilight
(Ooooooh, twilight)
Hearin' the twilight
(Hearin' the twilight)

Ok I’ll stop now cos it’s freaking me out and I think I made it out of Kumara or maybe I’m still there! Well if I am still there in my mind I made my way to Hokitika where no one serves meals until 5pm and it was 4pm and I was STARVING!!!!! I did end up finding a café that had food for sale, thank god cos things were about to get ugly. Mad biker woman starving in a small town – not pretty at all. After Hokitika I made my way down the highway and managed to avoid all the frickin grit! That stuff is deadly! Beautiful ride & lotsa sharp bends, nice one! At Franz Jospeh I had to flick Betty onto reserve again at 162kms, I had actually just pulled over and she dies and I had a momentary panic thinking she may have died forever! I rode onto Fox Glacier safe in the knowledge that I could make it that much further and fill up in the morning. I ended up staying at a pub, a big white 1 that had hostel like facilities. The room was comfortable and tidy and the showers were fantastic! I was really quite tired so I went to the pub and had a quart of beer (I love how they serves those!) and then went back to my little room and to bed. I was a tired little biker girl.

Ms Piggy
17th February 2005, 20:37
Tired biker girl has had enough of typing.

Blakamin
17th February 2005, 20:48
thank you.... can't wait for more!!!!

how much was the bike????

Motu
17th February 2005, 21:10
That looks like a Ducati 450 Scrambler I think,from the early 70s....I almost bought one,they were $1450 or so,a bit steep really.

Ms Piggy
17th February 2005, 21:12
how much was the bike???? :spudwhat: You'll have to call them, there was no price on it.

toads
17th February 2005, 21:30
You are sooooo cool Cathy, this tale has me rivetted, keep it up.

gav
17th February 2005, 22:07
Great stuff, really well written! See if it was a bloke it would read:
"Rode motorbike around South Island, met some cool dudes, drunk some piss and went home" :apint: :niceone: :msn-wink:

Fordy
17th February 2005, 23:27
Great tale, rivetting read and pics :cool:

Waylander
18th February 2005, 00:53
Good ride. Glad to see you had fun. I can't wait till I can go on a good cruise then dazzle everyone with skills such as yours.:2thumbsup

Ms Piggy
18th February 2005, 20:03
I woke at around 6am to the sound of rain, it had actually started raining during the night. I had already repacked most of my stuff the night before b/c I knew I had a long haul today – Fox Glacier to Oamaru with a detour to Waimate.

Breakfast and fuel.

While stopped at the petrol station I got talking to a couple of American tourists, the 1st guy was saying that his buddy thought they should get petrol now & not risk it as they were driving to Queenstown, he joked that his buddy didn’t want to have to walk the last 20 miles. I said “Sheesh some people are so lazy!” and 2nd guy said “Yeah well otherwise I might have to flag down some cute biker chick to give me a ride.” Hah hah! I wish! He also mentioned he’d just got his motorbike license so I encouraged him and said he’d love it – damn having no room on the bike!

So as I said it was raining and kept raining and got heavier, despite the rain the ride was fantastic and the scenery gorgeous, hardly any traffic either – except for an inconsiderate driver who had a line of 5 vehicles behind him/her and wouldn’t pull over. Yay for straight bits of road and an ability to pass! One of the sights I saw a lot on the West Coast, that really made me smile, was Wood Pigeons swooping up and dropping back down into the trees, it was a great sight!

As I rode the rain did eventually stop as the landscape changed from West Coast lushness to dry barren Central Otago. By the time I stopped in Wanaka I was a bit cold though but, it was warm and sunny there! More contrasts! I had a yummy lunch and spread all my clothes out and then went and sat on the water front for a while with them (see pic) and me lying in the sun drying out.

I fuelled up in Wanaka and headed toward another road on my list – The Lindis Pass! Ohhhhhh what a fantastic piece of countryside! Honestly during my ride I had some incredibly breath taking moments b/c of the beauty of the landscape before me. The Lindis Pass has a barrenness about it that is difficult to describe, so I won’t try, just go and ride it! Apart from getting stuck behind a twat in a Subaru that was in la la land driving at 70 kms/hr, oh and having to avoid tourists wandering across the road at the Lindis Pass Summit, it was fabulous!

I fuelled up again in Omarama and it was quite surreal b/c a whole lot of memories started coming back from when I used to work up in that area as part of a road gang. It was a fabulous ride through to Kurow, no traffic at all! The road between Omarama and Kurow (SHW 83) is lovely & sweepy and I got a fabulous view of the lakes, one of my favourite views in when I rode up the hill just before you come down to Otematata, when you are at the top there is a spectacular view over the lakes. Oooo pretty!

I turned off at Kurow onto SHW 82, partly b/c the road from Kurow to Oamaru is straight & boring but, also b/c I had an old friend to visit who lives in Waimate (Peter). The road between Kurow and Waimate is quite a nice one with a few nice corners & 1 really sharp bend through a little village, more memories flooding back as I had worked up and down this road also, mind you these memories mostly consisted of shovelling grit off the back of a truck in the middle of Winter! It was good to catch up with Peter and share out love of bikes! Heh heh. He showed me his ole Guzzi, 1972, affectionately known as “The White Whale” (sorry no pics) and I also got to meet the 2 kids he and his wife had produced since I had last seen him, in fact Peter had got married since I’d last seen him!

From there a quick, short ride to Oamaru to stay with some other dear friends I used to board with (Sandra & Lewis) when they had all 7 of their kids still living at home, in fact I first met Sandra and Lewis when they only had 5 kids and now their oldest is a Father now! Cripes does that make me feel old!

When I arrived they were all so happy to see me but, I warned them before hugging ensued that I would stink a bit b/c I had been riding all day and got wet and then dry and also had ridden behind a couple of sheep trucks. I still got hugs but, they did agree I really needed a shower! After all I had just ridden 542kms! Peeeeeuuuuuuww!

Ms Piggy
18th February 2005, 20:05
Had a fabulous sleep in a teenaged girls room, walls plastered in pics of cute boys and other teen stuff. I got up in time to say goodbye to daughters # 5, 6 & 7 and son # 4 as well as Lewis (Father #1). Then Sandra and I lounged around for ages, drinking coffee & chatting. By the time I left Lewis had come back home for lunch, so I got to farewell both Sandra and Lewis before heading off again.

On my way to Dunedin I also stopped in and visited and old next door neighbour and school friend living in Maheno (Sheree), since I last saw her she had, had 2 sons and her & her husband had a fantastic rural life.

By the time I left Sheree’s I just wanted to get to Dunedin to see my sister and 2 beautiful nieces! There was quite a bit of traffic on the road but it was still a great ride! I love that stretch of road by the coast before you reach Shag Point (yes it’s really called that) b/c you can see out to the ocean and on a sunny day it’s gorgeous (gee I use that word a lot)! Kind of rode with another biker as far as Palmerston, which was nice. I arrived in Dunedin about 3 to lots of hugs & kisses from the whanau – great to see them!

Ms Piggy
18th February 2005, 20:06
No riding at all, lots of shopping though. But, I did get a phone call at 8am from a certain KBer that goes by the name of Scum Dog. No worries, he just wanted to make sure he didn’t miss me while I was down!

Ms Piggy
18th February 2005, 20:07
The big ride South to Balclutha and meet Scum Dog, Chrissie Bimbo & Jantar. A warm welcome ensured for Lulu and myself. I’ve already written up about this already but there is no harm in repetition. Lulu (my big sister) has a XR250 but hadn’t ridden for the last 3 months so we had a little troubles starting it and it also stalled a couple of times on our way.
So once we had sat around at SD’s for a while coffeeing, toileting and chatting we decided that riding to Kaka Point would be a good idea. It was! Although the road was a little windy it was a nice little ride. Lunch was had at the local café/bar and lots of story telling and laughter saw the afternoon on. Thanks for the great company! (SD has taken some pics)

We rode back though to Balclutha and Lulu decided to head back to Dunedin (I had also forgotten how exhausting riding can be when you don’t ride a lot and so was initially surprised that Lulu was ready to go home after our ride out to Kaka Point), SD & CB decided to head home and Jantar and I decided to go for a bit of a ride up to Beaumont and round back to Lawrence for a coffee.

Thanks Jantar! It was a really nice ride on a road with hardly any traffic, oh apart from your neighbour in the van that wasn’t going to let us pass! The most hilarious thing I saw on our ride was a whole paddock of sheep sitting or lying down, it might sound silly but I have honestly never seen sheep lie down like horses do before – ok now my work colleague is looking at me like I’m really stupid….

After our coffee in Lawrence I headed back to Dunedin, as I was putting my gear on t leave, after saying ‘Goodbye’ to Jantar I noticed a woman crossing the street smiling at me. She came over and asked me about how long I’d been riding and told me she had a bike she had spent quite a bit of money on but she didn’t ride a lot and didn’t have the confidence, we had a really good natter and I really encouraged her just to get out there, take her time and ride. She mentioned that her partner had a Norton that wasn’t going, I strongly recommended she start riding more regularly and then he might get more motivated once he sees that’s she’s off having fun!

My ride back to Dunedin was pretty uneventful but a bit windy & I had a light drizzle.

Ms Piggy
18th February 2005, 20:08
Today was just a straight ride up SHW 1 (yawn). It was raining a little when I left Dunedin. No worries thought I, it’ll pass. How wrong could I be!!! I stopped in Oamaru to fuel up and get a hot chocolate (the ones they sell at Shell are really yummy & hot). I stopped in Timaru for lunch, I tried not to drip all over the place when I had my lunch, kinda tricky though. I stopped again in Ashburton to fuel up Betty & myself. No absolute lunatics on the road and the truckies were considerate about moving over. I learnt really quickly to move over as far left as I could when a truck drove past going the other way, otherwise I’d get a whoosh of water & wind all over me! I finally arrived at my cousins (in time for the Bridal Shower). I was too wet for anyone to even try & hug me! Hot shower, hot coffee, more hugs & kisses from rellies – all good! I was also amazed I had managed to make it through Christchurch City without getting lost in the myriad of roads & flatness.

Ms Piggy
18th February 2005, 20:10
No riding b/c the wedding was today & got my hair done and was wearing a posh frock, so there was no way I was wearing a helmet!

The groom cried…twice! Which made me cry! Oh sooooooooooo romantic!!! :love:

[edit: I've added a couple of wedding pics, the first is the happy couple & the 2nd is some of da family (see if you can pick me!).]

Ms Piggy
18th February 2005, 20:15
Did the whole family farewell thing and headed off from Cashmere at around 3. I decided to go for a bit of an explore. So I headed up the hill a bit further – ooopsss – wrong turn into a car park. Ok lets try that again! So I turned around and rode up the hill and ended up on the Summit Road – cool!!!! (see pics of view) What a great twisty little road! Plagued with a little bit of traffic but not too much drama. I got to the end of the road and I was 90% sure I could’ve made a LH turn and do a loop back through Lyttleton to Christchurch but I didn’t want to risk it so I rode back up Summit Rd – more fun! I made my way back through the flatness & streets and stopped in to visit Dangerous on my way through to stay at Kickaha’s. 1 Speights later I was on my way again.
Arriving in Rangiora I was treated to a horrible coffee, no dinner and a hot bath, I guess 1 out of 3 aint bad ;) Thanks Kickaha, you sure know how to treat a lady goooooooooood.

Mongoose
18th February 2005, 20:23
Great stuff, what a ride you just took us all on. :wari: :wari:

Ms Piggy
18th February 2005, 20:32
Happy Valentines Day to meeeeeeeee! I was going to treat myself to a ride on the final road on my list I hadn’t ridden – Queen Charlotte Drive – it weren’t gonna happen though. *siiiiiigh*

After a slap up breakfast of marmite on toast & another equally bad coffee and farewelling Kickaha I was on the last leg of my journey. Feeling sad b/c today was the end of my journey and knowing reality would be waiting.

However in the eloquent words of Jrandom: “Meh.”

I had a text from Dangerous telling me I’d be getting a wet butt, which turned out to be wrong. Phew! There were a few spots but that was it. I rode out through Amberley – much nicer than that boring SHW 1! Not a lot of traffic on the road, although there were a couple of scary tailgaters, they weren’t tailgating me but vehicles in front. Their driving made me a little nervous…an accident waiting (maybe wanting) to happen!

I really enjoyed riding a long the Kaikoura Coast and seeing (not smelling though) the seals. The sea was looking magick, like a sparkling blanket of azure. I stopped at a delicious café called Hislops, it’s on SHW 1, you don’t have to go into the Kaikoura township to go there. Even though I suspected my HUGE (previously mentioned) breakie may have sustained me I thought that a brunch of eggs Benedict & home made hash browns was in order – I was not disappointed! Yaaaaaaaauuuuuuum!! As I had been riding along I had passed a group of 3 riders stopped at Cheviot, they all waved enthusiastically to me (how nice!) and then they rode past when I was stopped at Kaikoura and I returned the enthusiastic wave! They looked like a friendly lot so it was a pity I didn’t get to chat to them.

So onward to Blenhiem, unfortunately I could see BIG BLACK clouds ahead! Eeeeeekkkk! When I stopped in Blenhiem it was stinkin’ hot! But those BIG BLACK clouds were coming in fast from the North! I met up with my mate Craig again and we headed off to Picton – I rode, he drove. Twas a little windy! It wasn’t until we got to Picton he pointed out my headlight wasn’t on, he was being smart b/c he knows how much I go on about being safe on motorbikes and was going to tease me. Of course, b/c I am ALWAYS soooooooo safe and responsible I was mortified and we spent the afternoon trying to find the bulbs in Picton. There are 2 bulbs in my headlight and we could get a little one but, had to go back to Blenhiem for the bigger one and we had to buy a Phillips screw driver as well. I tell ya what, you know you have a good mate when without hesitation they are helping you and not complaining or rushing to get the job done. I’m a lucky woman to have good mates like that!

So that out of the way we went to have a few beers at a little Irish Pub in Picton, it’s a good little place actually. So after talking a bit of shite and drinking a little it was time to get that gosh darn Ferry back to reality. *sob*

While Betty & I waited at the front of the queue a whole lot of men on BMW’s rode up. Friendly blokes who had been riding together, a group of friends (I found out later). Also F5_Dave showed up to say ‘gidday’. When we got on the Lynx I ended up having to use some of their stoopid tie downs b/c the place that I’d be directed top park the bike had no little metal loops on the tie down links on the floor – very frustrating! I enjoyed the fine company of F5_Dave and his CYT for the crossing, it got a bit up and down in the middle and I was glad I’d taken my sea sickness ginger tablets. Arrived home and my flatmates had tidied the place! Bless them! My cat was all smoochie & cuddly and I was exhausted and a little sad to be back. I didn’t get to see my dog until the next day and that was great cos her welcome made it worth coming home!

Final reading on my odo: 68013.

Total kilometres: 3541

Lessons Learnt: Riding alone can be great but it’s nice to have someone to share the evenings with; take wet weather gear; check where the petrol stops are; check how much your tank holds in reserve; those shiny bits of seal on the road really are slippery in the wet; grit is more dangerous than those shiny bits of seal and I love riding my motorbike and would do that ride again tomorrow!

Number of bikers that waved: almost all of them but all bar 1 were going in the opposite direction!

Fav road: Buller Gorge.

Least fav bit: None of it!!! Even the rain couldn’t make it bad, after all it’s just water!

Fordy
19th February 2005, 00:59
Arrr, now its finished :( Did you learn to carry spare bulbs :?:
Brilliant write up :D

LB
19th February 2005, 04:40
A really good story CSL, brings back wonderful memories of those great roads (and what's even better for me is that in a couple of weeks time we'll be down there for three weeks!!)

Riff Raff
19th February 2005, 06:18
Thanks for putting your diary up, Cathy. I've sat here engrossed with my map book sharing your journey as I read. Can't wait to do the South Island now! :banana:

Ms Piggy
19th February 2005, 09:57
I'm going to try & put a map up showing my route at some stage soon.

Fordy - if I had to carry every spare bit for Betty that might break I'd have no room for anything else ;) It's just 1 of those things.

Interesting to note that I had no problems with the clutch cable that had, had to be replaced 2 times by 1 bike shop and then was taken to another bike shop to be fixed upon the 3rd break! Throttle cable great too thanks to the able bodied assistance form Paul in NZ & Stone Chucker 2 nights before I left!

Kickaha
19th February 2005, 16:13
Arriving in Rangiora I was treated to a horrible coffee, no dinner and a hot bath, I guess 1 out of 3 aint bad ;) Thanks Kickaha, you sure know how to treat a lady goooooooooood.

After a slap up breakfast of marmite on toast & another equally bad coffee and farewelling Kickaha

Complains about the coffee but doesn't even thank me for her valentines present,have some of this lol :shake:

dangerous
19th February 2005, 19:41
I made my way back through the flatness & streets and stopped in to visit Dangerous 1 Speights later I was on my way again.
Well you were welcome to have another theres a fridge full ya know I wont drink the shit.... but dont touch the Stienie or Stella or else :apint:
That prick... I mean Mr Kickaha took some cash of me earlyer that day for the Sound of Thunder and said that will buy tea for you's...... WTF did he do with it? next time ya welcome to stay here I have more than marmite in the pantry................... I have peanut butter aswell :2thumbsup

ps: awesome effort with this thread CSL

Biff
19th February 2005, 19:49
You should have walked a couple of hundred yards up the road mate and come to mine for tea. :yeah:

Next time eh!?

Kickaha
19th February 2005, 20:11
That prick... I mean Mr Kickaha took some cash of me earlyer that day for the Sound of Thunder and said that will buy tea for you's...... WTF did he do with it?

Spent it on mind altering drugs,not that you'd notice the difference

You should have walked a couple of hundred yards up the road mate and come to mine for tea.

Next time eh!?
great idea,it would have saved me not cooking tea :niceone:

dangerous
19th February 2005, 20:27
Spent it on mind altering drugs,not that you'd notice the difference

great idea,it would have saved me not cooking tea :niceone:

Coke............... a cola huh :cool:

he wasent inviting u around for tea ya noddy :confused:

Ms Piggy
19th February 2005, 20:57
You should have walked a couple of hundred yards up the road mate and come to mine for tea. :yeah:

Next time eh!?
Yeah thanks mate - I might just do that! :niceone:

Ms Piggy
22nd February 2005, 15:59
Here's a rough map of my SI travels, each colour is a different day.

Skunk
22nd February 2005, 16:54
Great write up CSL. Thanks for taking the time to do it. :niceone:

sels1
25th February 2005, 23:23
Enjoyed the tale CSL, thanks for the write-up. Thats a lot of miles on a little ol bike - glad you didnt have any mechanical issues - there is some big gaps between towns down there isnt there?