PDA

View Full Version : My bike will be here soon!

Redmoggy
6th January 2009, 10:34
Well at the end of the month anyway. Had a chat with VTNZ and they pretty helpfull. Im told i need a brake declaration. From what i gather this entails linings being measured for meat and the brake drums being checked. Can anyone tell me if this is the case? and can i do this myself? Im not keen on some spoty oick spannering on my bike.
Rod

Blackbird
6th January 2009, 10:48
We have fellow KB member Freebird staying with us at present. He's senior mech eng at NZTA and says you have to get a written declaration from a bike shop regarding the condition of your drums and linings.

Nice to see that you have a quality machine - lovely! :2thumbsup I still have the original Triumph manuals for my 3TA and T100 which I had as a student a lifetime ago.

Redmoggy
6th January 2009, 12:21
Thanks for the reply. Silly question but do they have to see the whole bike or can i take tham the parts? Does it have to be an approved shop?
Rod

Blackbird
6th January 2009, 12:47
Thanks for the reply. Silly question but do they have to see the whole bike or can i take tham the parts? Does it have to be an approved shop?
Rod

Whole bike as proof that it's the genuine unit, but any bike shop. Freebird came out from the UK a couple of years ago and went through the same process, although his bike was a Blackbird.

Redmoggy
6th January 2009, 13:20
Thanks very much. Thought that would be the case but had to ask. Been in the motor trade for 15years and letting someone i dont know spanner on me bike goes against the grain a bit.

Blackbird
6th January 2009, 13:33
You're welcome. I do most of my own spanner work too for the same reasons! BTW, saw a beautiful Rob North racing Trident for sale at that classic car and bike place in Christchurch a couple of years back. My wife said no!

P.S I used to drag race in the UK with Norm Hyde, the Triumph development engineer who used to work for Doug Hele.

Redmoggy
6th January 2009, 13:45
Get a new wife!! :)
I know the names well,though only by reputation.May i just call you a lucky git and leave it at that!