PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 2009 Safari - tips?

ubernaut
6th January 2009, 16:40
I'm heading to the Yamaha safari in Hamner this weekend.. only my second adventure ride, and my first on the Beemer. Anyone got any pearls of wisdom for prepping bike and rider beforehand?

I've fitted barkbusters but wasn't planning on taking any spare levers.
And planning on getting a new set of TKC80s fitted on Thursday as the Conti Escapes are probably a bit mild for plenty of gravel.

Also anyone fancy riding up there together from Christchurch on Friday? Fair warning - it'd be at semi-nana pace ie 109.9 kph... am now 10 points off license confiscation thanks to one of our finest revenue droids in Havelock a few days back.

Padmei
6th January 2009, 17:12
welcome ubernaut. 1st thing read the last pages of DB1k thread so you know bout the corner:wacko:

My advice - 2nd adv ride on a bemmer? Get used to picking it up.:whistle:

have fun - wish I was doing it...

ubernaut
6th January 2009, 19:45
cheers Padmei, and for the corner warner.. sounds like it'll be on the route map hopefully.

Any thoughts on the TKC80s..? I've been reading they're prone to punctures when not inflated fully. Still have time to change to something else (had been reading the Kenda rears were solid) if I hear better in next day or two.

reofix
6th January 2009, 19:49
your bike will get "scratched"... you will get sore... and you will be smiling for a week... TKC 80's are great tyres... ride on!!!

Racing Dave
6th January 2009, 20:14
Hi,

I've been using TKC80s on my own bike, and other than the wear rate (must be due to weight and throttle useage?) I find them fine, and have had no punctures. Do carry a tubeless repair kit though, you never know when a random nail may strike.

I've been in charge of route sheeting Day 1 of the Safari, and although I've used a Yamaha XT660R for laying out the course (sponsor's product) I've very much kept in mind the difficulty that big bikes have, and unless we are particularly unfortunate with the weather, and providing you have a moderate level of ability, then you'll be able to ride the entire course.

It's a full day (350km, 8 1/2 hours in the saddle), so if you are in any doubt about your riding speed, leave on time and don't waste time. It's not slow riders who make the day run late, but stopped ones. Big bikes are always going to be slower than trail/enduro ones in the harder terrain, but that's allowed for in the schedule. Judge your pace at lunch - I expect the early birds to be there at noon, with latecomers more like 1:30. If you're in that zone you'll be fine. There are short-cuts if you find you're lagging, but the route is designed for all ability levels, and all bike sizes.

Send me a PM if you have any specific enquiries. I'm not certain of the route for Days 2 and 3, so can't comment on them.

Look forward to meeting you on Friday.

Cheers,
Dave B

cooneyr
6th January 2009, 22:20
cheers Padmei, and for the corner warner.. sounds like it'll be on the route map hopefully...

Check out this thread (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=1878844#post1878844) about the corner. Photos and other info plus the plan of action to get it improved, not that it will be improved before you get there.

...I've been using TKC80s on my own bike, and other than the wear rate (must be due to weight and throttle useage?) I find them fine, and have had no punctures. Do carry a tubeless repair kit though, you never know when a random nail may strike...

If I recall correctly the F650 Dakar runs tubes so don't worry about the tubless repair kit (the R1200GS has tubless tyres) but take a spare tube and puncture repair kit.

Cheers R

ubernaut
6th January 2009, 22:28
Cheers guys.. as Joe S would say - BRING IT ON! :niceone:

Aslan
7th January 2009, 08:54
hi Ubernaut - I have enjoyed TKC80's on firstly my '01 Dakar (since sold), my 1150GS and more recently my DR350 (sold). Great tyres IMO - v.popular with GS ADV riders.

However, if you're price conscious you might want to check out Pirelli M21 front (less than $100) and Dunlop 606 for the rear (if they come in a size that fits your Dakar) about $150. I'm running this combination on my DR650 and am very pleased with them.

Have fun on the Safari - enviously Aslan