PDA

View Full Version : What is it?

Motu
6th January 2009, 18:12
Cleaning up around the shed the other day I came across this.I haven't used it for about 20 years...but handy when you need it.

So what is it...and what is it used for.Easy for those who have seen or used one.Yes....I was the person with the hacksaw....

paturoa
6th January 2009, 18:46
Its a concrete floor with a bit of metal on it.

Edbear
6th January 2009, 18:54
A special tool, number 13B2 for doing the thingamy with a very hard to get at whatsit... :done:

White trash
6th January 2009, 18:55
It's an engine cover that's been cut down to enable the installation of something that requires measuring or tightening once it's correctly assembled. Most probably off some pommy machine.

jrandom
6th January 2009, 18:58
Shoehorn.<tenchar>

Edbear
6th January 2009, 19:03
It's an engine cover that's been cut down to enable the installation of something that requires measuring or tightening once it's correctly assembled. Most probably off some pommy machine.

That's wot I sed...:first:

Dodgyiti
6th January 2009, 20:16
checking endfloat when putting the cases together and measuring to check that all the shims went in and that 'plink, tinkle' noise when you split the cases initially was NOT a shim falling on the floor, but just a stone falling out of the gearbox crevice on some Ajay or summat

WarrenW
6th January 2009, 20:24
End Cover to allow setting the mag?

ntst8
6th January 2009, 21:12
If it were a Commando when refitting a cam chain, quoting from someone who claims to know " ...then use STEADY pressure on the socket, if possible a cut away timing cover or some other similar support for the intermediate shaft should be used to prevent damage... "

Motu
7th January 2009, 09:52
If it was a Commando it wouldn't need the rear part cut away too.However,there were one or two other Norton twins before the Commando came into existence.

It's for use on any Norton twin (500 - 850,or more) It allows the cam chain and magneto or dist chain to be adjusted holding the idler gear in place,and also the mag timing to be set.If you owned or worked on Norton's,a cut away timing cover was a must.

vifferman
7th January 2009, 10:26
If it was a Commando it wouldn't need the rear part cut away too.However,there were one or two other Norton twins before the Commando came into existence.

It's for use on any Norton twin (500 - 850,or more) It allows the cam chain and magneto or dist chain to be adjusted holding the idler gear in place,and also the mag timing to be set.If you owned or worked on Norton's,a cut away timing cover was a must.
Oh. :confused:
If I'd seen this earlier, I would've said it was a trouser horn. :yes:
Y'know - a tool to enable bikers to leverage themselves into their leathers when they'd eaten too many pies.

Dodgyiti
8th January 2009, 07:12
Oh. :confused:
If I'd seen this earlier, I would've said it was a trouser horn. :yes:
Y'know - a tool to enable bikers to leverage themselves into their leathers when they'd eaten too many pies.

:lol::2thumbsup
trouser horn I thought had another meaning;)

ntst8
8th January 2009, 19:05
If it was a Commando it wouldn't need the rear part cut away too. However,there were one or two other Norton twins before the Commando came into existence.

Ah well that was closer than my lotto numbers ever are - but still no cigar, although the first Commandos had the points up in the rear where the dist was on the earlier models so perhaps a division 4 win?

P.S. If you no longer have a need for it i'm sure a new home could be found...

Motu
9th January 2009, 11:39
Yes,the later model twins and early Commando had a little twin points unit where the mag and dist fitted - very rare,and I was always looking for one.So you get the top marks...well above the shoehorn level of the sportsbike riders....but we know they don't have a fucking clue already.The Norton magneto's and dist's were slotted on the top holes to give a small amount of chain adjustment - often overlooked if someone put in a replacement mag....then they couldn't adjust the chain.But if they didn't know about the chain adjustment they weren't exactly on page one with Norton's.