PDA

View Full Version : Shiver in Ngaio

Hitcher
6th January 2009, 21:18
I thought I'd share what's now parked securely in front of our residence this evening -- a feisty little number with an outrageous Italian accent!

She now has her first 100km clocked, the first of many fun-filled frolics to come.

Ain't she purdy?

DingoZ
6th January 2009, 21:21
Sure is purdy...:)

Congrats. Gotta love that new bike look and feel.....:)

Nice one

:done:

Maha
6th January 2009, 21:24
Kinda like the arse end/front view and side profile to be honest....:cool:
Very cool machine Hitcher. You keeping the Yamaha?

Gubb
6th January 2009, 21:25
Congrats. I am somewhat jealous.

AllanB
6th January 2009, 21:31
Arrr ye Shivers on the timbers :wacko:

Nice ride Mr H.

Very tidy.

sinfull
Up and down my spine !!!!

nudemetalz
Sheeza nota badda !!

bladez
6th January 2009, 21:34
very nice bike congrats lucky bugger :crybaby:

Mom
6th January 2009, 21:38
Lean and mean Hitcher! What a beauty!

Congratulations :wari:

Number One
6th January 2009, 21:40
Very nice may the sun shine down upon you tomorrow :scooter:

Ocean1
6th January 2009, 21:41
Very nice H.

Hope you've polished all 100k worth of that nasty dust off.

TerminalAddict
6th January 2009, 21:42
wow ... very cool indeed

MD
7th January 2009, 07:17
Congratulations. Not seen a white one, very nice.

Possibly the most comfortable riding position I have experienced was on a Shiver test ride. A fine machine and ideal for today's riding/road conditions.

If you intend to clock up 30,000km p.a. Mr H. with no fairing & screen you better wear a bib over the front of your jacket. That's a lot of bug splat you are in for!

look forward to seeing it at the Fish one day soon.

portokiwi
7th January 2009, 07:24
:clap: NICE bike mate, soooo sleek.
Are you going to ride down Porirua on it????:chase:

vifferman
7th January 2009, 07:27
Sure is purdy...:)
Yup. :yes:

Congrats. Gotta love that new bike look and feel.....:)
I dunno what that feels like.:crybaby: Every bike I've had since 1973 has been "pre-owned" ("pwnd" for short).

MsKABC
7th January 2009, 07:41
Congratulations Mr. Hitcher. Indeed she is vewwy purdy! :drool:

Pedrostt500
7th January 2009, 08:08
And here I was thinking you were just frezzing ya butt of. Yep Purrrdy bike.

Swoop
7th January 2009, 08:19
A very nice steed, Mr H!

I look forward to hearing more, once a few more Km's have been put under the wheels.

Crasherfromwayback
7th January 2009, 11:06
Ya got yourself there Mr!

Hope you have a great run with it.

P

Okey Dokey
7th January 2009, 12:02
Shiver me timbers
Blow me sky high-o
If that ain't the purdiest
'Priller in Ngaio

EJK
7th January 2009, 12:04
Thats a fukn art!

Her_C4
7th January 2009, 12:10
Wow! That looks FANtastic in white - way to go 'H' and congratulations:2thumbsup

MotoGirl
7th January 2009, 12:11
Welcome to Club aprilia, Brett! :drinknsin
You have purchased one particularly fine looking machine. And I see you chose the best colour, too :D

oldrider
7th January 2009, 12:49
I thought I'd share what's now parked securely in front of our residence this evening -- a feisty little number with an outrageous Italian accent!

She now has her first 100km clocked, the first of many fun-filled frolics to come.

Ain't she purdy?

Looks great! :niceone:

I can only (barely) afford one bike at a time, so it might be a while before I experience the smell and feel of a new bike again.

Look forward to reading your reviews. :ride: Cheers,John.

Hitcher
7th January 2009, 12:50
I can't afford more than one bike at a time either -- that's why the FJR is for sale...

gixxer-king
7th January 2009, 13:30
that is furking nice.
still race ya though.
kidding that looks a very nibble bike

nudemetalz
7th January 2009, 14:47
Just seen her in the flesh.
She is one beautiful machine !!!!
Italians just know how to do it !

sels1
7th January 2009, 14:50
And I see you chose the best colour, too

White is the new black apparently...
Congrats on the new toy

Hitcher
7th January 2009, 14:52
New toy may like to come on the Wednesday ride tonight, at least I think that's what she said. My Italian needs some work...

chanceyy
7th January 2009, 18:34
veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy nice Mr H

MidnightMike
7th January 2009, 19:22
New toy may like to come on the Wednesday ride tonight, at least I think that's what she said. My Italian needs some work...

Assolutamente bello, congratulazioni Hitcher.

V i gemelli per la vittoria!

tri boy
7th January 2009, 19:56
Is the red glow from the dash adjustable.
Not wishing to sound like a wowser, but, err, it sort of looks like a coat of many colours. (will hopefully see one in the flesh soon).

But knowing how pedantic Mr H can be online with compra/comprehansa/ reading and writing things, then it must be quite a sickle to win his nod.

And fairings are for big girls who have limited neck and shoulder muscles.
Enjoy

kiwifruit
7th January 2009, 19:58
Congratulations Hitcher :D

limbimtimwim
7th January 2009, 20:19
Not wishing to sound like a wowser, but, err, it sort of looks like a coat of many colours. (will hopefully see one in the flesh soon).The Shiver look quite good in the metal. They don't look as fussy as you think, and instead look.. detailed.

Duke girl
7th January 2009, 20:58
What cc is it as I have never seen 1 nor heard of 1 b4?.

BMWST?
7th January 2009, 21:09
Aprilia SL750 Shiver,nice lookin bike!

Hitcher
7th January 2009, 21:18
Mileage doubled in one day. That's not going to happen for that much longer! (Well, not after it gets to 800km).

BarBender
7th January 2009, 21:21
Congratulations!
A great bike from what I have heard.

Will this make an appearance at the 09 GC?

Hitcher
7th January 2009, 21:28
What cc is it as I have never seen 1 nor heard of 1 b4?.

An all-Aprilia 750cc 90 degree liquid-cooled V-twin. Ride-by-wire throttle, 4 valves per cylinder, double overhead cam, injected, mixed gear and chain valve timing. Compression 11:1, 95hp at 9,000rpm at crank, max torque 8.25kgm at 7,000rpm.

Have a perv at www.apriliashiver.com

Hitcher
7th January 2009, 21:29
Will this make an appearance at the 09 GC?

That's the Plan Stan. Hopefully the FJR will be sold by then, possibly to an 09 GC rider, who knows?

martybabe
7th January 2009, 21:39
But knowing how pedantic Mr H can be online with compra/comprehend/ reading and writing things, then it must be quite a sickle to win his nod.

That's what I was gonna say, kinda. Without wishing to appear a suck up, if it gets the Hitch seal of approval , it's gotta be worth a look eh.

Nah, I still sound like a suck up but you know what I mean.

Hitcher
7th January 2009, 21:46

Yes it is.

pritch
8th January 2009, 14:33
Mr H must be indeed fortunate. Every time I buy a new bike it rains for days, and no, I don't buy them in the winter. The VFR has its birthday on Sunday.

bungbung
8th January 2009, 16:53
Congrats Brett. Lisa had the Shiverrrr at TSS on her list, but got waylaid by a er650f before she got to ride the ape.

BALZYBUELL
8th January 2009, 20:57
sweet ride mate,i think i might have seen it on the motorway today,just at the top of the ngaranga gorge.very nice:drool:

Hitcher
9th January 2009, 08:06
Last evening my new Italian ladyfriend and I adjourned ourselves over the Rimutakas for the first time, accompanied by the inimitable Mrs H and her trusty Bandit.

28 degrees in Upper Hutt, 31 in Featherston and 30 in Martinborough, where we parked up for some dinner, before heading off for a bit of a tootle around the backroads through Gladstone (27 degrees) before returning through the Hutt Valley (19 degrees) to home (17.5 degrees). Weather data courtesy of Aprilia.

What a great night for riding. Sensational even. It was flat calm in the Rapa, with the heady smells of a summer's evening hanging warmly in the air. Patches of cooler air lying languidly in road cuttings. The light of the setting sun caressing the golden hills, fields of windrowed hay awaiting the baler, happy sheep, god in his heaven and an Aprilia Shiver beneath me. Contented I was.

Pootling along taking all of this in, I realised that I was probably travelling at speeds comparable to or slightly in excess of those when I think I am hurrying the FJR. What a difference 80kg makes.

The Aprilia's V-twin provides a completely involving riding experience. It is very happy at 4,000rpm. Indeed at that point in 4th gear, it is consuming 3.4 litres/100km (that's 30km/l or 83mpg). To digress momentarily about fuel consumption, for the 170km travelled last night from filling at Rimutex to finally being parked up on our deck in Ngaio, the Shiver averaged 4.4 litres/100km (23km/l or 64mpg) at an average speed of 70kmh. That includes a couple of no mucking around traverses of the Rimutakas (being mindful of the running-in rev limiter setting of 6,000rpm). One of my pre-purchase reservations was the 15 litre tank size, but based on this data (realising that the engine is still new and that this may improve a bit), a range of about 300km isn't too shabby.

Anyway, back to that engine...

Even Mrs H admires the Italian accent that burbles alluringly from the ray-gun exhausts. I find that all engines talk to me, but this one particularly so. And it likes to play. I'm looking forward to the rev limiter being reset beyond 6,000rpm when the computer is remapped at the first service. At that time the Rimutakas should be a first and second gear hill, which may have an impact on fuel consumption, but what the heck. I used third gear a bit last night largely to keep away from the limiter.

First gear on the Aprilia is quite tall. Indeed a bit of deft clutch work is needed when moving away from the lights in a stream of traffic. But for the first time I have bike where first gear is a useable option as an actual riding gear. I used it a few times on the Hill last night to climb out of a few of the tighter corners coming up from Featherston.

The gearbox is an absolute honey. Knife through butter in an effortless but decisive way.

The brakes are still settling in, and getting better each ride.

Top recorded speed last evening was 136kmh (6,000rpm in 6th).

Halfway to first service! Fingers crossed for a fine weekend.

Cajun
9th January 2009, 08:09
nice one hitcher sounds you and your shiver ape are settling in with each other

NZsarge
9th January 2009, 08:16
Halfway to first service! Fingers crossed for a fine weekend.

Nice :niceone:
Yeah keep your fingers crossed and toes too. Would like to see it fine, saturday 4:30 Meanie, Monie and Mr and Mrs Yod are coming back on the ferry after their southerly excursion, would'nt mind riding down to meet them.

vifferman
9th January 2009, 08:19
It was flat calm in the Rapa, with hanging warmly in the air. Patches of cooler air lying languidly in road cuttings. The light of the setting sun caressing the golden hills, fields of windrowed hay awaiting the baler, happy sheep....
This is a most excellent description of what the summer motorcycling experience is all about. :niceone:
I especially love riding through the pools of cooler air - something that other motorists just don't get to appreciate.

nudemetalz
9th January 2009, 08:19
Very cool !!!

My Guzzi is in the shop at the moment getting all of the fuel-lines replaced.
You wouldn't think a 2002 bike would have this perished issue already !!!
Ah,.. Italian vee-heckles !!

Hitcher
9th January 2009, 08:27
something that other motorists just don't get to appreciate.

Only motorcyclists understand why dogs like to stick their heads out of car windows.

KoroJ
9th January 2009, 08:31
Only motorcyclists understand why dogs like to stick their heads out of car windows.

Yeah, and the electric windsreens on the big tourers are wonderful aren't they!

nudemetalz
9th January 2009, 08:35

Are you like me, where everytime you drive in the car you have to have the window down as it's not natural to travel without the wind blowing in your face?
I always get a bollocking from Mrs for it too !!!

Sorry, a little off topic.

Skunk Control
9th January 2009, 10:16
Nice bike, congrats.

vifferman
9th January 2009, 10:22
Are you like me, where everytime you drive in the car you have to have the window down as it's not natural to travel without the wind blowing in your face?
No.
I'm quite conscious that the bike is the bike, and the car is the car.
When I'm in the car, I veg out, turn the aircon down and the radio up.
When I'm on the bike, I'm in biker mode.

Swoop
9th January 2009, 10:43
This is the reason why dogs are not permitted on the Space Shuttle...

Ocean1
9th January 2009, 16:25
Yes, was a brilliant evening, enjoyed a wee trundle myself.

Top recorded speed last evening was 136kmh (6,000rpm in 6th).

Sounds high.

And the Buell don't even have a 6th gear.

Then again, your temporary rev limit is permanent for me...

I sincerely hope that’s not some preamble to a discussion on how you lick your balls.

nudemetalz
9th January 2009, 16:48
Then again, your temporary rev limit (6000) is permanent for me...

and I only have another 1800rpm !!

James Deuce
9th January 2009, 16:51
Yeah, and the electric windsreens on the big tourers are wonderful aren't they!

No, they're just something else to go wrong.

nudemetalz
9th January 2009, 17:02
Real men hang onto the bars in all winds !!
hmm,..that sounded rather dodgy...

Sully60
9th January 2009, 17:06
Very nice Hitcher, on the face of it the ideal machine for our little country, maybe?
I'm not normally one to get jealous but the chorus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoYXzFblq6g) says it all.

Hitcher
9th January 2009, 20:36
I've just emptied the camera from last night.

mashman
9th January 2009, 21:50
I've just emptied the camera from last night.

Vnice Hitcher... glad to read that you're enjoying the Ape... can't wait to read how you feel when the rev-limiter gets a spankin...

nudemetalz
9th January 2009, 23:22
"Shiver is in the blood !!" :bleh: :laugh:

Charlie41
9th January 2009, 23:32
CONGRATS!!!!
Very very nice!!! Love the colour
Would love to see it in the flesh

Hitcher
11th January 2009, 18:18
Shiver got its first wash and polish this evening. A trip to Martinborough and back in the rain got it all icky.

It's nice not getting rain on the inside of my visor any more!

tri boy
11th January 2009, 18:34
Damn, Hitcher is smitten!
He's using words like 'icky".:laugh:
I never knew a motorcycle could affect one's vocabulary so much.
Next he will admit to having Britney Spears designer collection of story books.:rofl:

James Deuce
11th January 2009, 18:43
He hasn't noticed yet, but I'm not talking to him.

Pwalo
12th January 2009, 06:50
Very nice bike Mr H. Congrats, and I'm sure you'll enjoy the L twin experience.

Hitcher
14th January 2009, 12:34
1,007km clocked. First service Friday.

Thanks to the most excellent support afforded by the inimitable James Deuce, I successfully knocked off the remaining 400km required to reach this first (of many) milestone last evening.

Around the block we sallied, departing SH2 south of Carterton and heading east, past Stonehenge to Gladstone, watertower hill via Wainuioru to a gas and rehydration stop at Masterton. It was murky/spitty on the Takas and blowing a stout southerly in the Wairarapa.

Then it was back to Alfredton and back out to "civilisation" at Pahiatua. All joking aside about the twanging of banjoes, that six-fingered chef at the Black Stump Cafe can really cook!

The Alfredton road was festooned with offerings from recently mustered and herded sheep and cattle, and its surface and sequences of corners taught me much about the handling differences between the Shiver and the FJR, particularly the reliance I have placed on torque surfing as a cornering technique over the past four or so years. And the less said about lard-arse cornering lines the better.

After a most efficacious and excellent repast at said hostelry, it was on over the Pahiatua track and home via Shannon and Grays Road. I love riding at night and, despite a still-brisk southerly all the way to Otaki, last night was no exception. Marvellous.

The Cute Little Italian continues to impress. Once I gain access to the top half of her rev range, I may be able to better compete with Mr Deuce's impressive ascent of the Watertower Hill...

DarkLord
14th January 2009, 13:04
Flaaaaaaaaash.... :drool:

davebullet
14th January 2009, 13:04
Hitcher,

What are the stock tyres and what do you think of them?

What made you choose the Shiver over other similar bikes - such as the Street Triple?

Hitcher
14th January 2009, 13:58
Hitcher,

What are the stock tyres and what do you think of them?

What made you choose the Shiver over other similar bikes - such as the Street Triple?

Stock tyres are Dunlop Qualifiers. After 1,000km, they seem to do what's asked of them, from edge to edge. They're a bit skitterish on melted tar, but what tyre wouldn't be?

And the Shiver choice? Have you seen one in the flesh? Whoar. I found it a better fit than a Striple, not that I found a demo one of those to take for a fang. Don't forget I wasn't in the market for a bike prior to riding the Shiver.

Hitcher
18th January 2009, 20:34
Shiver has now completed 1,640km, with the first service completed at 1,027km on Friday.

I now have three engine maps from which to choose: sport, touring and rain, selected by pushing the starter button whilst the Shiver is idling in neutral. Each mode is discernibly different, with the most noticeable change being the rain mode -- there would be little chance of getting the bike loose in the wet on this setting. Fuel consumption is largely similar between sport and touring, so with the better low-end punch that sport affords, I think I'll stay in that one, thank you Mr Aprilia.

Also on at service the first went a Ventura packrack (as illustrated below). The kit appears to include deflectors to stop the underseat exhaust melting luggage on the rack.

An Aprilia screen departed the UK in this direction on Thursday.

Heated handgrips and a Garmin zumo (once the FJR sells) will complete the Hitcher riding essentials.

So what have I recently learned about the Shiver experience?

It is remarkably competent at moderately spirited pootling.

It has retaught me the Art of Cornering.

It is remarkably poised and unflustered by wicked winds on the Rimutakas.

It requires a bit more gearshifting than does an FJR1300 with its gazillion meganewtons of macadam-rendering torque.

I suspect that it may like to wheelie.

Her_C4
18th January 2009, 21:34
I suspect that it may like to wheelie.

I suspect you are probably soon to find out..:lol:

BTW- Nice arse shot H :cool::banana:

davebullet
20th January 2009, 11:05
Hi Hitcher,

What warranty do you get with the Shiver - usual 2 years, unlimited kms?
What is the service interval?

I've heard longer legged riders find the position a little more comfortable on the Shiver rather than Striple.

I think I'll need to test ride both now to decide which I should get...

Hitcher
20th January 2009, 11:35
What warranty do you get with the Shiver - usual 2 years, unlimited kms?
Yes indeed.

What is the service interval?
20,000km for everything other than oil and filter at 10,000km.

Pwalo
20th January 2009, 11:54
20,000km for everything other than oil and filter at 10,000km.

Come on, I bet you don't leave an oil change till 10k.

Clivoris
20th January 2009, 11:55
Hi H.
Have been hearing about your adventures and it's great to read that this new romance hasn't lost any of its first flush. Gotta love the sit-up Apes and I think I will be following your lead with the heated handgrips when the funds become available.

Hitcher
20th January 2009, 12:03
Come on, I bet you don't leave an oil change till 10k.

I did with my FJR. If that's what the manufacturer says, then that's what I'll do. It's an oil change once every four months, which is better than a lot of bikes get!

davebullet
21st January 2009, 08:29
I think engineers would like you to change oil more often than the marketeers will let them advertise. I mean if I bike said change the oil every 3,000kms, then that would put people off purchasing.

I personally change the oil when it changes colour. My 230,000km Honda car motor runs beautifully and gets an oil and filter change every 5,000kms. Maybe it would run just as beautifully at 10,000km intervals.... Anyway, who doesn't admire a nice clean oil to look at in an engine. (Pity the oil in the motorbike is so dark).

david.

Ocean1
21st January 2009, 18:22
I think engineers would like you to change oil more often than the marketeers will let them advertise. I mean if I bike said change the oil every 3,000kms, then that would put people off purchasing.

Other way around if anything. Imposing a slightly ott post-purchase maintenance routine doesn't affect sales much, and specifying shortish oil change cycles mean more regular contact with the dealership, more parts and accessory sales. Also, from the principal's point of view why not err on the safe side, that increased dealer contact minimises warrantee claims.

I personally change the oil when it changes colour. My 230,000km Honda car motor runs beautifully and gets an oil and filter change every 5,000kms. Maybe it would run just as beautifully at 10,000km intervals.... Anyway, who doesn't admire a nice clean oil to look at in an engine. (Pity the oil in the motorbike is so dark).

david.

The colour change is simply a build up of carbon, combustion products finding their way past the rings, it affects the lubrication qualities of the oil not a jot. The only concession I make to “improvements” on the recommended lube schedule is to change the filters every time, whatever the book says.

Hitcher
21st January 2009, 21:28
Shiver now has its flyscreen fitted. A genuine Aprilia ex-UK in almost exactly two weeks.

Madness
21st January 2009, 21:37
Shiver now has its flyscreen fitted. A genuine Aprilia ex-UK in almost exactly two weeks.

I look forward to the pictures.

The Dorsoduro (http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/View/Used/APRILIA-DORSODURO-2009/27079.aspx?N=4294967224+4294965397+0) looks interesting. The Pikes Peak result is impressive for it's 750cc capacity and it's a nice price compared to the bigger Ducati that looks pretty similar.

pritch
21st January 2009, 22:01
I have a raffle ticket in an Aprilia Shiver.

Or a ZX14, or a Hyabusa, or a KTM 690 Duke, or a Triumph Tiger.
Or seven or eight other bikes, winner gets to choose one.
See a Ulysses member.

Also I heard on Hauraki yesterday that they are giving away a Harley Sportster 883. Not my normal taste but if it was free I'd find room in the garage.

I know... :Offtopic: Well, nearly.

Dazza
22nd January 2009, 08:52
Bring on the 1200 Shiver I say, nice wheels by the way ;)

vifferman
22nd January 2009, 09:17
The colour change is simply a build up of carbon, combustion products finding their way past the rings, it affects the lubrication qualities of the oil not a jot.
I thought the combustion products resulted in a build up of acids and other nasties that didn't do the alloys etc in the engine any favours? That's what they say.

Shiver now has its flyscreen fitted.
So, how many flies (and other random insects, of course) have you caught with it so far?

Hitcher
22nd January 2009, 12:41
So, how many flies (and other random insects, of course) have you caught with it so far?

A multitude. It is festooned with dead lepidoptera as a consequence of a twilight return from Featherston last evening.

Colapop
22nd January 2009, 14:41
The MANA 850 looks pretty interesting. Electronic choice of Automatic, Semi automatic or Manual.LINKY TO PIC (http://www.maxmoto.co.uk/images/Aprilia%20850%20Mana%20l.jpg)
Sorry couldn't embed a pic...

Ocean1
22nd January 2009, 17:36
I thought the combustion products resulted in a build up of acids and other nasties that didn't do the alloys etc in the engine any favours? That's what they say.

Free carbon can combine with water, particularly at high temperatures, (live steam), to produce carbonic acid, highly corrosive to most metals. Not much of that carbon's "free" though, and I prefer to keep water out of my crankcase. I've really only ever seen evidence of that type of damage in certain types of marine engines. And steam systems.

The main nasties are significantly more sizeable, and orta be dealt with by an effective filter. One of the reasons why oil changes are more regular on bikes than cars is the size of the reserve. Particularly on comp dirt bikes designers like to manage mass by minimising oil volume. That's got consequences in terms of contaminant build up, and cooling.

Pwalo
23rd January 2009, 06:46
Free carbon can combine with water, particularly at high temperatures, (live steam), to produce carbonic acid, highly corrosive to most metals. Not much of that carbon's "free" though, and I prefer to keep water out of my crankcase. I've really only ever seen evidence of that type of damage in certain types of marine engines. And steam systems.

The main nasties are significantly more sizeable, and orta be dealt with by an effective filter. One of the reasons why oil changes are more regular on bikes than cars is the size of the reserve. Particularly on comp dirt bikes designers like to manage mass by minimising oil volume. That's got consequences in terms of contaminant build up, and cooling.

Now that's interesting. I've never come across any mention of carbonic acid pollution in relation to m/cycle engines before! I always thought most damage was done to oil by heat cycling (or lack of sufficient heat due to short runs) and shearing. Always change my oil every three months, or 2k because I mainly do short run commuting.

I really must get a life! BTW Mr H, any pictures of the Shiver with it's insect catcher?

James Deuce
23rd January 2009, 07:06

Mrs Deuce's now deceased grandmother had a Proton Saga that sat for ages and only did short runs when it was used. It was placed in 5th gear within 100m of the front gate and the clutch was slipped to adjust speed. RPMs were usually about 6500. Kind of a geriatric DIY CVT.

When we returned from our OE we borrowed the car as the GM was now legally blind. It leaked no oil at rest, but would use 500mls in 100kms without trailing blue smoke and compression was well within spec when I checked it.

I got underneath. Everything was coated in a fine oil mist. Checked oil lines (after cleaning the "tar" off) and found nothing amiss, head gasket fine and so on. Thought it may have been sump gasket or mating surfaces so emptied the oil - it was milky but there was no oil in the coolant. Dropped the sump pan which had a "rind" at the cold oil tide mark. Cleaned the rind off and lo and behold the sump is porous around the tide mark. Heat the oil and it gets runnier and oozes through the porous alloy sump pan.

Condensation sitting on top of the oil at rest helped create carbonic acid which etched the sump.

NEVER buy a car from an old person. Their car gets more of a hammering around town than a stock agent's wagon that does 200,000kms a year.

pritch
23rd January 2009, 07:17
Kind of a geriatric DIY CVT.

Wish I'd thought of that :-)

Many moons ago I lived in Chistchurch and there was an elderly lady who used to drive a then new Morris Minor. She was noticable even to a kid because she drove everywhere in second gear. Apparently the tricky business of getting the gear lever across the dog leg in the gate eluded her.

No problem, second gear works just fine thanks...

The belated thought ocurrs that if she only had a three speed box she was still in first. You could certainly hear her coming...

merv
16th February 2009, 12:18
Nice bike Hitch, missed all this news while I was off in Europe. Enjoy.

Hitcher
16th February 2009, 13:28
I am now officially Yamahaless for the first time in two-and-a-half years and 78,000km together...

tuonowill
2nd March 2009, 11:41
I very nearly bought one of these in London. Loved the "robobike" looks. Awesome machine.

Ocean1
12th March 2009, 18:38
:blip:

http://www.fasterandfaster.net/2008/10/aprilia-working-on-shiver-1200.html

Hitcher
12th March 2009, 18:41
:blip:

http://www.fasterandfaster.net/2008/10/aprilia-working-on-shiver-1200.html

Whoar! Stu?

Ocean1
12th March 2009, 18:59
Whoar! Stu?

Romoured to be 5kg heavier, and Ohlins equiped. HP & torque curves more or less proportionately fatter than the 750.

Suspect it'll be priced by the cc also.

For me it's competition might well be an 1125CR with the sensible bar kit. If Buell have, as reported, sorted the fueling issues on the '09 1125s it might just be a match for Mr Aprilia's 1200, and a fair wack lighter.