PDA

View Full Version : Tyre pressures?

orangeback
6th January 2009, 23:34
what sort of tyre pressurs are people running on there motards ?????? I'd been running the similar to what i ran on road bikes, is that correct or to high ??? :nono::argue:
I'm not interested in what is the recommended tyre pressure for that particular tyre, I'm looking for words of wisdom from people who have for sometime been riding super light dirt bikes with street tyres.
What are YOU guys running in your 115kg, 50HP street bikes (Motards)

SeppoDave
7th January 2009, 03:45
I run 25-27 on the road, and 21-22 at the track.

Proper KTM 530 converted motard.

Devil
7th January 2009, 07:48
KTM 690 - 28 front and rear was the manuals recommendation for the OEM BT090's.
Running 29 front and 28 rear with BT016's.
Haven't had a trackday on it yet.

AlBundy
7th January 2009, 14:37
Also a KTM 690... I have run different pressures.

I've had between 24-26 and 26-28, maybe as low as 22-24. That said, they were over a few months and from cooler weather to hot days. I have found that the lower pressures seemed better but it was cooler then too. The last time I went out with the higher pressures, the bike was chattering a lot, wasn't inspiring at all. I'll be trying slightly lower again to see how that feels...
I have to add though, the rear tyre is looking quite sad, which may have an influence on the handling somewhat...

As a point of reference... The bike is about 145kg's dry now and I weigh about 72kg's with gear

SeppoDave
7th January 2009, 14:57
Are we sure we are reading the whole post?

AlBundy
8th January 2009, 12:58
Are we sure we are reading the whole post?

Forgive me for trying to be helpful, you stuck-up, holier than thou, gods gift to motarding wannabe...

SeppoDave
8th January 2009, 13:29
My humblest apologies.

I thought of many ways to point out the OP's question, and that was what I thought was the gentlest. Maybe not.

I'm not at all stuck up about my motard vs others. Remember how stoked I was to see all the other motards out there on Sunday? I think the 690's are awesome and I almost bought one. They're just not what orangeback was asking about.

Dave

AlBundy
8th January 2009, 13:38
My humblest apologies.

I thought of many ways to point out the OP's question, and that was what I thought was the gentlest. Maybe not.

I'm not at all stuck up about my motard vs others. Remember how stoked I was to see all the other motards out there on Sunday? I think the 690's are awesome and I almost bought one. They're just not what orangeback was asking about.

Dave

Lol... I should have added a smilie for sarcasm... Me apologises too...

I know what he meant.

There aren't many posters in motards. Would he/you rather have one/two responses than a few more, that weren't quite as applicable but responses nonetheless?

Besides. I gave a weight reference, since some guys may weigh more, which means the overall weight could be similar, which could equate to similar wear...

AlBundy
8th January 2009, 13:42
Oh yeah... Orangeback, you cost me $2... Weasel...:Pokey:

kezzafish
8th January 2009, 19:29
i had a new shinko put on the rear the other day and just rode it out of the shop. wasn't till two days later i read the work order receipt which told me my tyre was at 34... coool. I am the most slack of the slack and don't moniter my pressures at all but it seems to grip pretty well. couldn't tell ya what the front has in it. And didn't really answer your question!!! but as Al said: more shit spoken = more entertainment ( i think that's what he said? Al?) lol.

is more pressure gonna make it harder to use the whole tyre? ie. when you corner the tyre flexes and wears heavily in the mid shoulder of the tyre but not on the outer edge? (chicken strip left) i hope someone understands what i'm trying to ask and may help orangeback (but mostly me)

Cherio

AlBundy
8th January 2009, 19:42
Ummmm, I didn't necessarily mean more shit spoken...

If you ask a question and one guy answers, it's not very helpful. One can argue our info is not helpful either. At least we are posting something, most of which is somewhat related...

As for the higher pressure... One can argue that unless your susepnsion is absolutely sorted, you'll have a rougher ride. The way I see it, your tyre isn't flexing as much, or absorbing as much, which means the suspension has to do all the work...
And yes, by being harder, you probably won't get to the edge as easily...

What I meant earlier with chatter goes somewhat with the higher pressure... The suspension isn't being helped by the tyre, so it's transmitted through the bike. The speed even felt a lot less...

Apologies if anyone finds this to be useless and baseless, my opinion and observations only... (hey Seppodave... Lol)

kezzafish
8th January 2009, 20:47
oh yeah, that's what i was after i kinda fucked up that post. i know Al, i was just being a twat. i'm gonna stop posting while drunk.....one day!

So i've seen someone in this forum who was racing (can't remember who) that was gonna run around 23? for wanganui race.... is this gonnna kill tyres fast (obviousely it's gonna give a larger contact area and therefore more grip) but do they get super hot? and melt to pieces? racers answer here:

GaZBur
10th January 2009, 09:09
I am far from an expert on tyres but asked around at the pits and followed what everone else seems to do and that appears low 30's on fast tracks and hot days, lower pressures when cold or on tight kart tracks. That is for 100% sealed events. I once ran as low as 18psi when there was ice around on the kart track but that was with tubed tyres and havent heard of anyone else going below mid 20's.
Would like to know what others do as well for track or road tyres, I am guessing slicks require higher pressures??

AlBundy
10th January 2009, 12:47
Might be worth posting a Q in the racing section. Possibly more motarders browsing there?

DesmoDAZ
12th April 2010, 21:21
Howdy, I tend to run 24 front and 25 rear in my K2 recetech's on my sxv5.5 this is pretty much perfect for Ruapuna on a nice hot day, A touch more on the road 27f 28r.
Much will depend on the tyres and even more so on the suspension set up.

Buddha#81
13th April 2010, 08:01
28F, 30R for street and track. The bikes heavier than most and less power!