PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Law Change - Bus Lanes, Us, Yes :)

StoneChucker
17th February 2005, 14:06
If this has been covered here already, sorry!

Just read in the newspaper that over and above the pedestrian crossing and roundabout changes, there is a special vehicle lane law. One is for cyclists, and the other is the bus lane (which are already around the cities). Buses, cyclists and MOTORcyclists can use bus lanes. Forgive my excitement, but I didn't know that!

Hey, they should build a "bus" lane on all NZ roads.

T.I.E
17th February 2005, 14:13
i actually wish we could use the bus lanes on the motorway as well. eg northern mtorway auckland.
as far as i know they just cover the intercity lanes or any bus lane with the picture of a (push) bike on them. makes riding into work real quick.
what else can or do we get away with?
any bylaws at all?

Ramius
17th February 2005, 14:33
If this has been covered here already, sorry!

Just read in the newspaper that over and above the pedestrian crossing and roundabout changes, there is a special vehicle lane law. One is for cyclists, and the other is the bus lane (which are already around the cities). Buses, cyclists and MOTORcyclists can use bus lanes. Forgive my excitement, but I didn't know that!

Hey, they should build a "bus" lane on all NZ roads.

WOOHOO!! Oh wait, I can't ride at the moment. When I do ride again, maybe there will be bus lanes everywhere... However, in Wellington, it seems to be Taxi lane as well... :ar15: DAMN TAXIS

vifferman
17th February 2005, 14:37
WOOH... However, in Wellington, it seems to be Taxi lane as well... :ar15: DAMN TAXIS
I donot thing they can use the taxi in the buss lane here.

blownae92
17th February 2005, 14:40
Can motorcycles use bus lanes?
Yes, unless specifically excluded by signs.

http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/road-user-safety/new-road-rules/rur-qas.html#special

Posh Tourer :P
17th February 2005, 15:57
Ok. Related question: What is the legal definition of "Open road"?

MSTRS
17th February 2005, 16:08
I think it's any road that falls in the 100k category. This does not include the sections covered by the circle/diagonal line LSZ signs

Devil
17th February 2005, 17:00
After reading it it looks like we'll be allowed on them on the motorway, it hasnt said we cant...however, knowing transit they'll probably stick up signs saying motorbikes cant :(

Ms Piggy
17th February 2005, 17:15
I had been kinda using them anyway but that is good news! :2thumbsup

Darryboy
17th February 2005, 17:30
I think it's any road that falls in the 100k category. This does not include the sections covered by the circle/diagonal line LSZ signs

I always thought the white circle with the diagonal line meant 'open road'

17th February 2005, 21:51
Open road
The maximum speed that you can travel at is 100km/h.

Does that include motorways and/or expressways? Or are they classed differently?

17th February 2005, 22:57
It is kinda important, cos the road code says learners cannot exceed 70kmh on the open road.

But I thought that perhaps motorways weren't. Maybe they are a special subsection of open road, but I dunno

ManDownUnder
18th February 2005, 09:23
I rang Auckland city council about this a number of months ago and they confirmed M/C can use the bus lanes in Auckland... BUT (and whoever wrote these rules obviously has a BIG butt)...

an important distinction to be made is that anything not covered by ACC can not be used!

Specifically that means anything controlled by Transit NZ. Of note these are:
1) Bus lanes on motorways (inside the ACC area or not... motorways are Tansit... not allowed there!)
2) Intersections... yes - you heard that right... intersections.

Point number 2 elaborated on a little. If you are using a bus lane in the city limits... trundling along laughing at the cars doing 50kph and you get to an intersection with a red light you have to stop.

Picture this - a bus pulls up behind you, it's morning... the bus is full. Let's say another bus pulls up behind that one, maybe a line of 3 forms (not unusual at the top of Chinaman's hill in Auckland).

The green "B" light comes on and the bus behind you wants to go... but they can't. If a M/C proceeds through that intersection (as common sense suggest they might mant to for speed and safety reasons) you are eligible for a $150 instant fine.

The list of vehicle allowed to proceed through the green "B" light does not include M/Cs.

I took the liberty of writing to an ex school teacher of mine... who happens to be the Minister of Transport Safety. He (or more likely one of his minions) wrote back, thanked me for pointing that out and assured me it was ok because buses are not allowed to run over motorcyclists.

At last - some clarity... that makes me feel a lot safer and I'll have enormous satisfaction in pointing out to ANY bus driver running me over that S/HE WAS NAUGHTY!... that is assuming I survive the pummeling by 10 tonns of Mercedes finest.

Wonko
18th February 2005, 10:23
From reading the Land Trransport web page we can use motorway bus lanes except when they have put up sign's stating no m/c. They have taken over control from the local City Council's bylaws. But note that any local City Council's bylaws over ride the land transport in restrictions. Henance the ACC could hypotheticaly say "no" to riding in bus lanes over riding the LT.

outlawtorn
18th February 2005, 11:54
When I come over the bridge from the North Shore in the morning it is normally gridlock after the Shelly Beach offramp, so I ride down the bus lanes instead of filtering, I assume I'm not breaking the law and then I filter into the lanes and take the Fanshawe offramp, if I get caught or fined I'll plead ignorance, all I saw was a sign on the Red Baron shop saying that we can now ride on bus lanes.
:niceone:

Sheep Dags
18th February 2005, 18:57
i agree.
i'm gonna be taking advantage of this new law whenever i can.
awesome!

ManDownUnder
20th February 2005, 11:27
Hey guys - I can see we have diffrerent understandings on this one - all I can say is your research differs to mine and I suggest you contact Transit NZ and confirm M/C eligibility to use bus lanes on Morotways and proceeding through intersections using the green "B" light.

As much as I enjoy being right on these issues I also have a concern for fellow M/Cists getting snapped for stupid rules being in place they're not aware of.

Just my 2c worth...
Cheers
MDU

ResidentAngel
25th February 2005, 11:15
After reading it it looks like we'll be allowed on them on the motorway, it hasnt said we cant...however, knowing transit they'll probably stick up signs saying motorbikes cant :(

I just rang the Ministry of Transport in Auckland (someone called Nick) , and they say "YES motorcycles CAN use the bus lanes on the motorway, and also transit lanes ..."

If this gets motorcycles out of the general traffic flow, then in my view its about the best law change they could have made for us in Auckland ....
:niceone:

sAsLEX
25th February 2005, 11:44
a point that bykey cop can prob give us some info on is that those lanes are generally filled with debris from the other lanes and you become prone to puctures etc

Will make commute so boring not splitting the 20 odd k to uni :confused:

mouldy
25th February 2005, 12:18
WE,LL JUST TAKE THEM BACK DOWN THEN.HOPEFULLY IF ALL CAGED IDIOTS ON AUCKLANDS CROWDED MOTORWAYS SEE US WHIZZING UP THE BUS LANES MAYBE A FEW OF THEM WILL GET ON BIKES
:ar15: :brick:

ManDownUnder
25th February 2005, 12:25
I'm really looking forward to using the bus lanes on the NWestern MW...

On the way into town there's that really short one starting at Lincoln Rd, then the 2nd half of it starting after that stupid little bridge... then the next bit WAY down the road for a wee bit (stopping at Te Atatu I think), then the last bit down by Patiki...

All up it must be about 2km of bliss on 15km of MW?!?

I shouldn't complain - on the way out of town it's a different story... NO F*CKEN BUS LANES AT ALL!!!!!!

Can we use the cycle lanes? We ride cycles do we not?

avgas
25th February 2005, 12:37
Dont do it people, when they changed the law up here - i was the first to fall for it.
Just had everthing fixed on my bike - then she was all ritten off.
For those of you who think the bus lane is a safe, my titanium enhanced leg says otherwise. Had i been cutting through traffic, getting noticed this would not have happened.
The pics are quite deceptive, but in reality there were relatively few straight peieces of metal left on her. And all in all i was only doing 30k's in the bus lane before the car took me out.
Click here if you dont believe me -> bus lane 101 (http://www.bikepics.com/members/avgas/88gb400/)

vtec
25th February 2005, 13:44
This sucks, I'd be too scared to use the bus lanes on the motorway, the law is very ambiguous, and I doubt that any of the cops will have been told about it, would also piss off everyone else on the road to see us using the motorway bus lanes. All in all they need to make it clear, and make it known before I'm going to start using the bus lanes. I'm sick of cops who get all righteous on you even when they are wrong (please note this is generally cop specific and not the fault of all "officers of the law").

ManDownUnder
25th February 2005, 13:57
This sucks, I'd be too scared to use the bus lanes on the motorway, the law is very ambiguous, and I doubt that any of the cops will have been told about it, would also piss off everyone else on the road to see us using the motorway bus lanes. All in all they need to make it clear, and make it known before I'm going to start using the bus lanes. I'm sick of cops who get all righteous on you even when they are wrong (please note this is generally cop specific and not the fault of all "officers of the law").

Well I, for one, am happy about it. If a cop was wrong and ticketed me about it I'll happily go back to them and point it out... no big deal.

I tried them out this morning on the way to work... what little there is of them.

The one under Patiki Road onramp (Aucks) is pretty good.. just be careful merging in and out of traffic. If only I did more lane splitting... I'd be better practiced... :whistle:

sAsLEX
25th February 2005, 14:12
Well I, for one, am happy about it. If a cop was wrong and ticketed me about it I'll happily go back to them and point it out... no big deal.

I tried them out this morning on the way to work... what little there is of them.

The one under Patiki Road onramp (Aucks) is pretty good.. just be careful merging in and out of traffic. If only I did more lane splitting... I'd be better practiced... :whistle:

got ticketed for going through a bus only intersection and got off the ticket with a supperbly written letter by engineers writing standard

Lou Girardin
28th February 2005, 13:03
I've got a copy of the LTNZ ad run in various papers about the new rules. It clearly says that m/cycles can use bus lanes. I know that ignorance is no defence, but incorrect info (if that's what it is) certainly must be. Transit NZ won't be happy about having to redo all their m/way bus lane signs to exclude bikes, will they?

Cajun
28th February 2005, 13:06
Offences that carry demerit points:

Failing to drive as near as practicable to the left of the roadway: 20
Unsafe passing: 35
Impeding vehicle when passing: 35
Failing to allow impeded traffic to pass: 20
Passing at school crossing point or pedestrian crossing: 20
Passing to right of no-passing line: 35
Driving in emergency stopping lane: 10
Failing to comply with hand-held stop sign: 20
Failing to comply with school patrol sign: 20
Not stopping at stop sign: 20
Not giving way at stop sign: 20
Not giving way at give-way sign: 20
Driver of left-turning vehicle fails to give way to vehicle from right: 20
Failing to give way to road user on footpath when entering/exiting driveway: 20
At intersection, failing to give way to vehicle approaching from right: 20
Failing to give way when entering roundabout: 20
Exceeding speed for stopping distance: 20
Exceeding speed for stopping distance on road not marked in lanes: 20
Driving too close to vehicle in front: 20
Parking on pedestrian crossing: 20
Parking within 6m of driver's approach to pedestrian crossing: 20
Parking in signed/marked area on approach to pedestrian crossing: 20
Driver permits riding dangerously: 20
Failing to give way to rail vehicle approaching level crossing: 20
Drive, etc, cycle, vehicle, or animal across level crossing when risk of collision with rail vehicle: 20
Failing to stop for level crossing stop sign: 20
Failing to remain stationary at stop sign until level crossing clear: 20
Entering controlled level crossing when red signal displayed: 20
Entering controlled area of level crossing when barrier arm lowered: 20
Failing to give way at pedestrian crossing: 35
Entering pedestrian crossing when passage blocked: 35
Failing to give way to pedestrian on shared zone: 35

vifferman
28th February 2005, 13:13
I've got a copy of the LTNZ ad run in various papers about the new rules. It clearly says that m/cycles can use bus lanes.
Unless specifically excluded by signs.
Now, when I looked at the signs this morning, they still say BUSES ONLY, so I'd say that specifically excludes all other vehicles.
No change required to the signs, as that is fairly unequivocal, innit?

limmy
28th February 2005, 13:46
Now, when I looked at the signs this morning, they still say BUSES ONLY, so I'd say that specifically excludes all other vehicles.

It this actually a sign or is it words painted on the road? everyday I ride to work on the bike lane cause it says BUS and has a picture of a bicycle painted on the road. But I haven't noticed these being changed to BUS ONLY. If they have put up new signs I wouldn't have noticed them.

Skunk
28th February 2005, 14:32
No change required to the signs, as that is fairly unequivocal, innit?No. If the sign says 'No motorcycles' that is 'specifically excluding'...
So if it says 'Buses only', and that's all, we can use that bus lane cos the law says we can use Bus only lanes.

ManDownUnder
28th February 2005, 14:39
I like this one... "Failing to allow impeded traffic to pass: 20"

so... if we all go SCREAMING up behind some cage who is doing a mere 120kph and they impede us... they can get snapped?

Yes... I know rediculous extremes - but I'm SICK of today... keen to get into tomorrow
MDU

ManDownUnder
28th February 2005, 14:42
I've got a copy of the LTNZ ad run in various papers about the new rules. It clearly says that m/cycles can use bus lanes. I know that ignorance is no defence, but incorrect info (if that's what it is) certainly must be. Transit NZ won't be happy about having to redo all their m/way bus lane signs to exclude bikes, will they?

Nope, Transit won't give a toss... it'll be something like

Grey Suit #1 "Ooohhh a law change, we'd better change all the signs"
Grey Suit #2 "That'll need a tax increase"
Grey Suit #1 "Fuel tax?"
Grey Suit #2 "Yup"
Grey Suit #1 "Ok [signature on piece of paper]... done!"

And then my taxes will be diverted from the beneficiaries to the signs!.
Harrumph!
MDU

crashe
28th February 2005, 15:03
It this actually a sign or is it words painted on the road? everyday I ride to work on the bike lane cause it says BUS and has a picture of a bicycle painted on the road. But I haven't noticed these being changed to BUS ONLY. If they have put up new signs I wouldn't have noticed them.

On the MOTORWAY it has BUSES ONLY.....on a wooden sign not on the road.
I checked yesterday and today....
so I guess it means that we can't ride the bikes on the motorway bus lanes....
Dang it. :angry2: :angry2:

Marmoot
28th February 2005, 15:05
I like this one... "Failing to allow impeded traffic to pass: 20"

so... if we all go SCREAMING up behind some cage who is doing a mere 120kph and they impede us... they can get snapped?

Yes... I know rediculous extremes - but I'm SICK of today... keen to get into tomorrow
MDU

No, that would be us getting snapped if we impede a bus in a bus lane when the B light goes green and we do not move.
LOL

damn, this law thing is more confusing than Socrates and sounds more shakespearian than Hamlet

crashe
28th February 2005, 15:19
No, that would be us getting snapped if we impede a bus in a bus lane when the B light goes green and we do not move.
LOL

damn, this law thing is more confusing than Socrates and sounds more shakespearian than Hamlet

Actually they turn "White" .....lol

So we are allowed in the city bus lanes.... but when we pull up to the lights in the bus lanes and they have the big "B" light up, we cant move even when we have a huge bus up our arse.... honking their horn at us....

Oh BTW I had to stop at a pedestrian crossing today over at Mission Bay....as these folks stepped out on my side of the road on the crossing....
and there I was sitting and sitting waiting till they got safely to the other footpath.... man that rule is stupid... all the people sitting at the cafe were cracking up....I mean they were well over the middle of the road... but no I had to hold up traffic... and they walked slowly across the pecestrian crossing as well. This rule is soooooo STUPID.

Lou Girardin
1st March 2005, 07:16

Just noticed that too. That'll teach me to burst into print while my brain is still halfway from Wellington to Auck. Not all the signs say buses only though, so some judicious lane changing could let you use some of the bus lane. Something like; "But Officer the last sign I passed didn't say buses only" in a tone of injured innocence.

ManDownUnder
1st March 2005, 07:33
Just noticed that too. That'll teach me to burst into print while my brain is still halfway from Wellington to Auck. Not all the signs say buses only though, so some judicious lane changing could let you use some of the bus lane. Something like; "But Officer the last sign I passed didn't say buses only" in a tone of injured innocence.

So Iguess if we all used the bus lanes, it would demonstrate the common interpretation of "Buses Only" is not a specific exclusion, but rather a generalised exclusion, and under the new law... inapplicable?

MDU

Lou Girardin
1st March 2005, 11:44
What do the urban bus lane signs say?

Mongoose
1st March 2005, 14:13
What do the urban bus lane signs say?

What is a Bus lane, us country bumpkins don't see these things :spudwhat:
(pt)

sAsLEX
1st March 2005, 14:30
ok the thing with the us not being allowed in the past to cross intersection on the bus light was that they were controlled by the LTSA and not under the local bylaw that allowed us to use the bus lane at the time.

So if LTSA has gone and said that bus lanes are open to MC that in my eyes would suggest that now the entire length of non excluded bus lanes are open to us to use including bus lane indication lights on intersections!!

vifferman
1st March 2005, 14:34
Don't care. I'm still not planning to play Bus-bike-Bus roulette in the bus lanes.

StoneChucker
1st March 2005, 21:52
I'm just glad I took the Hover Craft option when I bought my bike...

I didn't know you HAD to wait until the plebs had completely crossed the pedestrian crossing? And, this "Bus Only" lane, which m/c are allowed to use is damned confusing. So, we can use "Bus Only" lanes, but not "bus only" that are bus ONLY? I don't understand what they will use to differentiate? The way I understood it was, you could ride on any green road (bus lanes) but not on green road that had a sign saying bus only? I could very well be wrong.

It will be some time before I'm able to use a green bus lane, confidently infront of a cop. Luckily, I have no trouble pleading ignorance...

Lou Girardin
2nd March 2005, 12:53
What is a Bus lane, us country bumpkins don't see these things :spudwhat:
(pt)

A bus lane is designed to cause thousands of car drivers to take an extra hour travelling time so that a few hundred bus users can take 20 minutes less.

Mongoose
2nd March 2005, 15:54
A bus lane is designed to cause thousands of car drivers to take an extra hour travelling time so that a few hundred bus users can take 20 minutes less.

Ahhhhhh, sort of like Farmer Bill moving his herd during rush five minutes down here? :banana: