PDA

View Full Version : What do you make of this cornering advice?

MsKABC
8th January 2009, 08:07
We spotted this in a mag last night and it kind of annoyed us because it seemed to be technically inaccurate. We didn't think either of the lines were correct and it didn't acknowledge the fact that the corner tightens as you go around it, so in fact the most likely part of the corner where you'd end up on the wrong side would be at the end of it as you get onto the straight.

I guess the concept of the ad didn't lend itself to technical accuracy and it would have lost dramatic effect otherwise.

Sorry about the pix, no scanner here at home.

Hitcher
8th January 2009, 08:10
I also studied that ad closely (it's in the latest Two Wheels magazine) and had similar thoughts. I would start my turn into that corner much later than the way it's illustrated. I think that in both the scenarios shown, they're starting the turn way too early.

But it's only an ad, and if it makes bikers who see it think about their cornering as much as we have, then it's probably quite a good ad.

MsKABC
8th January 2009, 08:12
I also studied that ad closely (it's in the latest Two Wheels magazine) and had similar thoughts. I would start my turn into that corner much later than the way it's illustrated. I think that in both the scenarios shown, they're starting the turn way too early.

But it's only an ad.

Yes, that's exactly what we thought too. It is only an ad, and at least the NSW govt are trying to help bikers - hopefully newbies won't take is as gospel though ;)

MSTRS
8th January 2009, 08:15
I'd agree with you there. If that was me in that corner, I'd be staying out wide, just inside the centreline for much longer, and apexing somewhere around the the end of 'yourself'.
That technique will allow me to see further around the corner, take note of the tightening curve so that I could react to it earlier, and it will also stop the slingshot effect of cutting across too early (like both the shown lines are likely to do).

Okey Dokey
8th January 2009, 08:28
My guess is that they are trying to be ultra-safe by keeping the turning biker well away from the centre line in case there is an oncoming vehicle that has crossed over to the wrong side. Yes, it does reduce visibility for the biker, but it may be safer for some newer riders. They may see the vehicle coming towards them on the wrong side, but be unable to correct in time to avoid it.

My 2 cents..As others said, good to get people to think about the lines they take.

scracha
8th January 2009, 09:00
Oh I dunno. I used to take the technical "turn in late for apex" approach but on every (not most, not nearly but every) run around the Coromandel there's always one muppet with their ute or boat swinging over the wrong side of the road.

Number One
8th January 2009, 10:34
This reminds me of the ad where the guy is driving the car on the Taupo track...

Something about electronic stability control or whatever...

Anyway Sully gets annoyed everytime it comes on because as he pointed out to me, the guy puts a definite right hand steering input as he enters the left hand corner to make it look so much worse.

I just tell him it sucks to know to much - completely ruins TV for ya. He always saying that's not possible, that's technically inaccurate, that wouldn't burn like that - blah blah :shutup: I think ignorance is bliss sometimes :lol:

Hitcher
8th January 2009, 10:34
Taking a hugging inside line isn't necessary the safest, as anybody who has spent time on the Rimutakas and other similar roads will know. On a blind lefthand corner, that tight route provides the least visibility of what may be ahead, such as piles of strewn rocks and other material, diesel spills wankers on treadlies (sorry, I mean bicyclists), etc.

It is therefore also the slowest route around the corner, creating the risk of being Liberaced by some backwards-hat-wearing bogan in a WRX STi.

MsKABC
8th January 2009, 10:35
This reminds me of the ad where the guy is driving the car on the Taupo track...

Something about electronic stability control or whatever...

Anyway Sully gets annoyed everytime it comes on because as he pointed out to me, the guy puts a definite right hand steering input as he enters the corner to make it look so much worse.

I just tell him it sucks to know to much - completely ruins TV for ya. He always saying that's not possible, that's technically inaccurate, that wouldn't burn like that - blah blah :shutup: I think ignorance is bliss sometimes :lol:

OMG! Our husbands must have been separated at birth! Hubby starts a rant EVERY time that ad comes on and I'm like "Oh FFS, get over it, you're preaching to the converted!" :lol: I hate watching movies with him for that exact reason!

Hitcher
8th January 2009, 10:36
I just tell him it sucks to know to much - completely ruins TV for ya.

That man is a god. You should worship him and the ground on which he treads.

MsKABC
8th January 2009, 10:39

:nono: :shutup: We have to keep their egos in check somehow!

Number One
8th January 2009, 10:39
OMG! Our husbands must have been separated at birth! Hubby starts a rant EVERY time that ad comes on and I'm like "Oh FFS, get over it, you're preaching to the converted!" :lol: I hate watching movies with him for that exact reason!

:lol: sounds just like us too! :rofl:

Number One
8th January 2009, 10:41
He doesn't tread - I have to carry him everywhere lest his feet touch the dirty filthy earth :rolleyes:

martybabe
8th January 2009, 10:56
Well at least we all seem to be on the same page definitely start the turn wider and later for me, a much better view of the aforementioned obligatory muppet and still have time to adjust the line if needed.

Ditto on the advert but more because of the ad nauseum repetition of 'Electronic stability control' how many times does it need to be said :no: and why the heck is there a great big truck coming the other way on a closed test track! :laugh:

ManDownUnder
8th January 2009, 11:00
He doesn't tread - I have to carry him everywhere lest his feet touch the dirty filthy earth :rolleyes:

Tell him to walk on water afterwards then - and clean f'n things while he's at it!

NighthawkNZ
8th January 2009, 11:48

But it's only an ad, and if it makes bikers who see it think about their cornering as much as we have, then it's probably quite a good ad.

When I first saw it it was the sound that came from me that gave a fright... sorted sound like... "Ggnnawwwwweeeeehhhh :pinch:"

But then I thought about it... (the sound got lounder) so I thought more.

While like you I would not be turning into the apex so early if I knew the road and corner and could see that it tightens, how step is the gradiant of the hill, and could see on coming traffic, and the sheep that got out of the paddock around the corner... but many corners unless you know the road well it is harder to judge and read. There are the split seconds at times, that you can not see around the corner and the road does veer off to the left over that rise and you can not see if it tightens or if there is on coming tourist in a camper van or a bus that is wider than the lane (happens in Milford sound ;) ) and cuts corners to get round.

However on saying that yes it is just an advert, and the idea is to get bikers to start thinking about there lines in cornering. (and to basically slow down)If the oncoming cage cuts that corner the biker is better off on the inner line isn't he. And in most cases I probably don't know the road that well and would still stuff up my line... :lol:

Reading the road is a bit of an art form, especially in NZ where there are no standards and many off camber corners (though a lot of them are being fixed by simply taking the corner away... :doh:

James Deuce
8th January 2009, 11:50
There's no point trying to educate "motorcyclists".

They start off knowing it all so you can put any old picture up you want and it will be "wrong".

jrandom
8th January 2009, 11:57
Both lines are way better if you get your knee down.

MsKABC
8th January 2009, 12:00
The only way my knee sliders are gonna get scuffed up is if I take 'em out to the garage and introduce them to the angle grinder :D

jrandom
8th January 2009, 12:02
The only way my knee sliders are gonna get scuffed up is if I take 'em out to the garage and introduce them to the angle grinder :D

Nonsense. You'd most likely get the angle all wrong, anyhow, and it'd be obvious what you'd been up to.

Just bring the Bros to a trackday.

:niceone:

MsKABC
8th January 2009, 12:06
Nonsense. You'd most likely get the angle all wrong, anyhow, and it'd be obvious what you'd been up to.

Just bring the Bros to a trackday.

:niceone:

Nah, I'll just tell anyone if they ask that I'd been stunting and riding my bike backwards/upside-down with my knee down :lol:

If I got hubby to help, I'm sure we'd get it right anyway :niceone:

Maybe one day on the bucket though....

jrandom
8th January 2009, 12:10
If I got hubby to help, I'm sure we'd get it right...

Just be sure to stand over him closely so that any instructions issued can be heard and obeyed instantly, mmkay?

Katman
8th January 2009, 12:19
Surely those lines are entirely relative to the speed that the motorcycle is taking the corner.

As we don't know that, the ad is rather misleading.

Sully60
8th January 2009, 12:19
Rimutakas and other similar roads will know. On a blind lefthand corner, that tight route provides the least visibility of what may be ahead, such as piles of strewn rocks and other material, diesel spills wankers on treadlies (sorry, I mean bicyclists), etc.

You forgot the dudes on skateboards, seriously!

MsKABC
8th January 2009, 12:22
Just be sure to stand over him closely so that any instructions issued can be heard and obeyed instantly, mmkay?

Good point, I might even wear my special outfit too :blip: :bleh:

MsKABC
8th January 2009, 12:24
Surely those lines are entirely relative to the speed that the motorcycle is taking the corner.

Don't call me Shirley :nono:

Sully60
8th January 2009, 12:26
Don't call me Shirley :nono:

Without the appropriate Clarence.

MSTRS
8th January 2009, 12:27
While like you I would not be turning into the apex so early if I knew the road and corner and could see that it tightens, how step is the gradiant of the hill, and could see on coming traffic, and the sheep that got out of the paddock around the corner... but many corners unless you know the road well it is harder to judge and read. There are the split seconds at times, that you can not see around the corner and the road does veer off to the left over that rise and you can not see if it tightens or if there is on coming tourist in a camper van or a bus that is wider than the lane (happens in Milford sound ;) ) and cuts corners to get round.

The less you know a road, the greater the imperative to give yourself the best sight-lines etc. Stay wide. And it should not matter what speed you are doing...slower = same line = less lean angle. You still get to see the turkey in the WRX/SUV on your side in time to avoid him. If you are going a little quick(er) and you drop in early, you will not see what's coming in time to react, plus you will likely get slingshotted wide on corner exit...just in time to become a hood ornamet.

The Stranger
8th January 2009, 12:33
Oh I dunno. I used to take the technical "turn in late for apex" approach but on every (not most, not nearly but every) run around the Coromandel there's always one muppet with their ute or boat swinging over the wrong side of the road.

Well yeah, but the wider you are, the sooner you are likely to see them.

scracha
8th January 2009, 12:57
Well yeah, but the wider you are, the sooner you are likely to see them.

I'm talking about those blinds bends with the 20Km sign where mr cage (and a lot of mr motorcyclist) just decide to cut out half the corner. I now just hit the pics and crawl round the inside of them. Different story where you can see a bit farther tho.

NighthawkNZ
8th January 2009, 13:08
The less you know a road, the greater the imperative to give yourself the best sight-lines etc. Stay wide. And it should not matter what speed you are doing...slower = same line = less lean angle. You still get to see the turkey in the WRX/SUV on your side in time to avoid him.

while I agree with what you are saying (to a degree and in principle)... staying wide on the white line is just as bad... I have had many close encounters of cages that have cut the corner that are just coming back on there side of that invisible useless force field of a line which is cutting through my line... if I was a second earlier I would still be the hood ornament. It does depend on the corner... (and 1 case I did boot the door as it went past on my side of the road)

I prefer a more central approach which gives me room to move either way. I still get to see around the corner, and have time to react and choose a new line due to crap on the road on the edge and the cage cutting the corner... as well as the sheep that came from know where,... happens alot in the Catlins :bash:

If you are going a little quick(er) and you drop in early, you will not see what's coming in time to react, plus you will likely get slingshotted wide on corner exit...just in time to become a hood ornamet.

Every situation on the open road is different... even on the same corner you have done a 1000 times before.

It also depends on the road and type of riding you are doing... mix of wide open sweepers or the narrow road and tight twisties and the road is known for crap on the road (yes ride to the conditions and ride your own ride etc...) with many blind corners and you have less room for movement...

Fatjim
8th January 2009, 13:10
I'd cut it, run to the outside, bang it over and juice it out.

Then I'd wake up.

MSTRS
8th January 2009, 13:24
... staying wide on the white line is just as bad...

Just on the approach and entry...somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 way through the corner is apex time and cut towards the inside. On most corners, this will have allowed you to see the exit, know it's clear (or not) and accelerate out (or pull tighter if necessary). It also reduces that slingshot effect that can be so deadly.

scracha
8th January 2009, 14:06
Bwhhaha...."driving is in the blood"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7816511.stm

The parents of a six-year-old boy in the US have been charged with neglect after the boy drove their car for 10km in an attempt to get to school on time.

Police in Virginia said the boy, who was not named, took the keys to the car after he missed the school bus.

He drove for six miles (10km) on major roads, weaving through traffic and overtaking slower cars, before losing control and going off the road.

The boy told police he learned to drive by playing video games.

Protective custody

Police said the boy was so intent on getting to school after failing to make the bus, that he got the keys to his father's Ford Taurus and took the wheel himself.

"When he got out of the car, he started walking to school. He did not want to miss breakfast and PE," said Northumberland County Sheriff Chuck Wilkins.

His road trip came to an end only after he ran off the road several times before hitting an embankment and utility pole. He was not, police said, wearing a seat belt.

He was treated for minor injuries at a hospital before police took him to school.

It happened at 0740 on Monday, while the boy's mother was still asleep.

Both of his parents have been charged with endangering their child. He and his four-year-old brother are now in protective custody.

gixxer-king
9th January 2009, 18:49
nice one. but on the up side one less ford to worry about.

let the bitch fight begin:girlfight::jerry::spanking::blip:

Anarkist
9th January 2009, 18:57
Bahaha! I have the same exact rant about that TV ad.

It's not ESC that saves you from that type of crash, it's not driving like a drunk chimp that does.

bikemike
9th January 2009, 23:50
Quick look at the scan of that ad I'd say that's about speed, not lines or position. At the likely speed of approach, the biker would, across the clear corner, see the car on it's approach and his line would be set well clear of the car - if he had scrubbed off enough speed to take the avoiding line.

The wide line is clearly wrong, and the tight line is clearly right, in so far as it kept the biker out of trouble.

Sure, you want a wide approach on a left hander and a later tip in than shown, but that's in general.
For that corner (so far as I can see it) it's clear, I'd take a very tight line right round, tighter than both shown. And, if it were blind, I'd take it tighter than a regular left hander - keeping further away from the crown (pretty much on the survival line as drawn). They key thing is that I'd take it slower than if it were clear - isn't that obvious?

The late turn in and wide line gives you a longer view and more time to react as well as plan and may let you set a smoother line. However, that position must always be sacrificed for safety...

The way I see it, we are always juggling actual and potential hazards and the wide line is chosen in part to give most time to deal with potential hazards. The thing is, the latency for that potential hazard is very low on a tight bend. Any potential hazard will become an actual hazard very quickly and the proximity at that point will make it very hard to take evasive action quickly enough. A moment's inattention or hesitation will be deadly whatever your own speed.

Also, the minute you add or carry extra speed because you think you know the road you multiply the risks you take. You have to ride to what you see. In this case, the clear corner and the car - stay tight and stay out of the way. If it were blind slow down and pull it in a bit, don't be thinking you are on the right line because you are taking the wide line and will be able to move out of the way if and when you see one coming towards you. You won't have time on the tight ones.

Happy to call it differently if I see the ad and it's not what it seems :-)

Okey Dokey
10th January 2009, 07:34
The way I see it, we are always juggling actual and potential hazards and the wide line is chosen in part to give most time to deal with potential hazards. The thing is, the latency for that potential hazard is very low on a tight bend. Any potential hazard will become an actual hazard very quickly and the proximity at that point will make it very hard to take evasive action quickly enough. A moment's inattention or hesitation will be deadly whatever your own speed.

Also, the minute you add or carry extra speed because you think you know the road you multiply the risks you take. You have to ride to what you see. In this case, the clear corner and the car - stay tight and stay out of the way. If it were blind slow down and pull it in a bit, don't be thinking you are on the right line because you are taking the wide line and will be able to move out of the way if and when you see one coming towards you. You won't have time on the tight ones.

Happy to call it differently if I see the ad and it's not what it seems :-)

I agree. You have expressed much more clearly my impressions of this ad.

Gassit Girl
10th January 2009, 13:07
You have to ride to what you see. In this case, the clear corner and the car - stay tight and stay out of the way. If it were blind slow down and pull it in a bit, don't be thinking you are on the right line because you are taking the wide line and will be able to move out of the way if and when you see one coming towards you. You won't have time on the tight ones.

:-)

Well said.

gixxer-king
10th January 2009, 16:24
Bahaha! I have the same exact rant about that TV ad.

It's not ESC that saves you from that type of crash, it's not driving like a drunk chimp that does.

thank you. god that ad ticks me off, lets take a look, lets take a look, lets take a look, if people looked at all they would see the flick of the wheel. God damn, at least use a ford in that clip so it's believable a car could just wildly spin out of control.

pritch
10th January 2009, 18:41
The late turn in and wide line gives you a longer view and more time to react as well as plan and may let you set a smoother line. However, that position must always be sacrificed for safety...

Ed Zachary. I'm a fan of the late entry, but if in doubt use a tighter line.

For some years now the Brit Police have advocated the wide entry but the bike mags say it's killing people. The Brit Police though really don't want to consider rewriting their bible. Yet!

On the left handers the late entry will give you a good view, but it may just be a close up view of the grill on a 4WD.

riffer
10th January 2009, 19:31
I'd cut it, run to the outside, bang it over and juice it out.

Then I'd wake up.

Interesting. I my dreams I tend to back it in right to the apex with the rear tyre just kissing the centreline.

Agree with Hitcher, MSTRS et al on this one. The recommended line doesn't give you anywhere enough vision into the corner. If I turned that quickly into a corner I'd be pulling the bike up straight halfway through. I tend to straightline it to the apex, then throw the bike to the side and turn, trying as much as possible to only have one steering input per corner. Doing it like the ad suggests looks to me like you'd have to have a constantly changing input on the bars.

Winston001
10th January 2009, 19:47
I tend to straightline it to the apex, then throw the bike to the side and turn, trying as much as possible to only have one steering input per corner. Doing it like the ad suggests looks to me like you'd have to have a constantly changing input on the bars.

You'd need to change the input if the corner kept changing it's radius - which a lot of corners do. In my limited experience, the only way you could corner with one input would be to know the corner well and be absolutely confident about the correct line.

But I'm still trying to understand this cornering stuff anyway..... :D

riffer
10th January 2009, 19:51
Yes, you're right to a certain extent you probably would have to change the steering input for a changing radius corner.

Twist of the Wrist and Twist of the Wrist II have some great info for you.

bikemike
10th January 2009, 21:47
Ed Zachary. I'm a fan of the late entry, but if in doubt use a tighter line.

For some years now the Brit Police have advocated the wide entry but the bike mags say it's killing people. The Brit Police though really don't want to consider rewriting their bible. Yet!

On the left handers the late entry will give you a good view, but it may just be a close up view of the grill on a 4WD.
Hmm, some of my training comes from that, bikesafe and all that. I think the problem is one of interpretation; by that I mean that the advice in the manual as it stands should not put you in mortal danger per se.

The blue book (mine's 1992) says:
"However, before selecting a course near the centre line, consideration must be given to the following:

(a) Offside dangers which require a greater margin of safety, e.g. approaching traffic
(b) If such positioning may be misleading to other traffic
(c) Where no advantage can be gained due to the low speeds involved or open nature of the bend"

Motorcycle Roadcraft (1996) says:
"Safety is the overriding consideration. If you can safely adopt one of the positions suggested on the next page, do so, but never sacrifice safety for position....
Left-hand bends - position yourself towards the centre line so that you get an early view round the bend. Before you adopt this position consider:
- approaching traffic and other offside dangers which require a greater margin of safety
- whether your position might mislead other traffic as to your intentions
- whether any advantage would be gained at low speed or on an open bend (one with unrestricted views across the bend)"

I have not read the new blue-ish book yet, but the 2007 edition (mine's 2008) says:
"Position yourself so that you are least likely to come into conflict with other road users: for example, look out for pedestrians to your nearside and concoming traffic to your offside. Never sacrifice safety for position"....
Left-hand bends - position yourself towards the centre line so that you get an early view round the bend. Before you take this position consider:
- approaching traffic or other offside dangers which need a greater margin or safety
- whether your position might mislead other traffic as to your intentions
- whether or not you will gain any advantage at low speed or on an open bend"

So, though they have rewritten it, not really much change on this topic except more or less spoon-feeding and a token (albeit inconsistent) nod in the direction of pedestrians.

The one thing I have noticed in glancing through the latest book though is the change to the way the old Information / Position / Speed / Gear / Accelerate system is presented. There's a change to show visually that the Information phase encompasses all the others. This should have been obvious before, and the texts made it clear, and any instruction based on the text should have done the same. Still, it should help people get over the false 'it's inflexible' response. Also, they have grouped Position Speed and Gear visually, and left Acceleration out there almost as an option...

Anyway, I'll need to read it some more.

I still think the subliminal message in the ad is more about speed than position. It gets us to look at the line and remind ourselves to slow down so we can get round - that's all.

Tone165
10th January 2009, 22:50
To see so much thought and discussion going on after ppl have veiwed the ad...I say "Money well spent"

As for acuracy etc...does it matter???

If you apply every technique offered in a magazine....well you know what I mean..riding is a seat of the pants thing, theory is good, as a starting point, but experience judgement and ability are what matter in real situations.

reminds me of the story about aging where they say we start with an empty "Experience" jar and a full "Luck" one..the trick is to fill one before you empty tother!

swbarnett
11th January 2009, 15:28
To see so much thought and discussion going on after ppl have veiwed the ad...I say "Money well spent"

As for acuracy etc...does it matter???
Yes and no. If they're not accurate then sooner or later they lose credibility and prople just ignore them.

rocketman1
11th January 2009, 18:21
The correct track IMO is to stay out wide longer.
The incorrect position would be to be close into the left side of the road

Taz
11th January 2009, 18:49
I reckon those big white letters painted on the road would be slippery, especially if wet.

dubshack
3rd February 2009, 22:52
I believe that the ad was pulled from magazines following a letter to the editor of one magazine. The letter was written by the school director of the California Superbike School in Australia stating that the advert was technically incorrect and could kill people if they took the advise. New riders may read it and believe it if they know no better.
It has been recommended that TAS(?) in Oz who were responsible for the ad gets future ads approved by people who actually know what they are talking about.

MsKABC
4th February 2009, 08:18
I believe that the ad was pulled from magazines following a letter to the editor of one magazine. The letter was written by the school director of the California Superbike School in Australia stating that the advert was technically incorrect and could kill people if they took the advise. New riders may read it and believe it if they know no better.
It has been recommended that TAS(?) in Oz who were responsible for the ad gets future ads approved by people who actually know what they are talking about.

Hmmm, that's interesting! Thanks for sharing :)

dipshit
4th February 2009, 22:48
It's not an ad about lines through corners... it's an ad about going in too hot and running wide.

McJim
4th February 2009, 22:56
It's not an ad about lines through corners... it's an ad about going in too hot and running wide.

So if noobies read it and kill themselves that's alright then?

Hmmmmm - another appropriate name......

dipshit
4th February 2009, 22:59
So if noobies read it and kill themselves that's alright then?

I guess they didn't count on that some motorcyclists were that dumb.

cowpoos
5th February 2009, 07:00

As we don't know that, the ad is rather misleading.

And I think katman has sumed it up.......

cowpoos
5th February 2009, 07:09
We spotted this in a mag last night and it kind of annoyed us because it seemed to be technically inaccurate. We didn't think either of the lines were correct and it didn't acknowledge the fact that the corner tightens as you go around it, so in fact the most likely part of the corner where you'd end up on the wrong side would be at the end of it as you get onto the straight.

I guess the concept of the ad didn't lend itself to technical accuracy and it would have lost dramatic effect otherwise.

Sorry about the pix, no scanner here at home.
and to behonest....the sugested line is actually a brillent line for slow in fast out riding all the mentors of here advocate...

First of all its got a nice entry...there is far more room for adjustment mid corner if needed...it would lend the rider to lean the bike over much more progressivly than staying out wide...so there is no sudden loading of the front end...and you could smothly roll on the throttle through out the corner.

I would be interested if those that disagree could draw thier preffered line on to the picture and explain why thier line is better.

jrandom
5th February 2009, 07:17
I think everyone's really overanalysing that advertisement, to be honest.

It's a simple attempt to say 'don't cross the centerline'.

The precise approach necessary to not cross the centerline will vary for every corner in different conditions.

Surely people are not out there on motorcycles on the road going round arbitrary corners thinking "hmm, now, that magazine ad line went here, so I will turn now..."

Gareth123
17th February 2009, 20:27
Not sure if this has been mentioned because I didn't read everyones posts, perhaps the government showed those lines because it forces a biker to go slower around the corner. perhaps there are 2 goals with this ad.

1, To make riders think about thier cornering.
2, To try and slow riders down when they go around corners to give them more time to react to anything that pops up.

cowpoos
17th February 2009, 20:45
Not sure if this has been mentioned because I didn't read everyones posts, perhaps the government showed those lines because it forces a biker to go slower around the corner. perhaps there are 2 goals with this ad.

1, To make riders think about thier cornering.
2, To try and slow riders down when they go around corners to give them more time to react to anything that pops up.
slower??? that would be a good fast line on a race track!!! so what the hell are you talking about?

Gareth123
18th February 2009, 17:47
Having never raced I wouldn'tknow what a fast race line around a track would be. I just look at those pictures and think that I wouldn't take either line. Unless I actually rode a bike round that corner I wouldn't know what line I'd take.

The one they are recommending seems to leave very little chance of avoiding something that is unexpected like a bicycle in the middle of the corner, especially if you were going fast.

(BTW still new to riding, don't flame me too much)

Winston001
18th February 2009, 18:21
(BTW still new to riding, don't flame me too much)

Don't worry about it he didn't mean anything personal. Good on you for recognising you are new and interested in learning. Ask questions, plenty of helpful people here.

Tone165
18th February 2009, 19:07
I think everyone's really overanalysing that advertisement, to be honest.

The precise approach necessary to not cross the centerline will vary for every corner in different conditions.

Surely people are not out there on motorcycles on the road going round arbitrary corners thinking "hmm, now, that magazine ad line went here, so I will turn now..."

My thoughts also

Squid
18th February 2009, 19:46
I must not be the intelect that some of you guys are. I looked at the ad and thought, "Hmmmm, if I'm gently cruising up to it and it looks too easy speed up a little, if it looks like it'll end in tears slow down a little then speed up" Slow in fast out like me daddy taught me :)

Unless your a mormon few, fast in, almost lose it then brag about getting your knee down...

The Stranger
20th February 2009, 14:51

Really?
There are bikers out there that don't realise it's not a good idea to cross the centre line?

Can't be many left can there?