PDA

View Full Version : My new project...

Taz
8th January 2009, 15:05
Moto Guzzi SP frame and 850 (now 950) motor. Anyone got any tips on getting it complied? Let me know.
Andy.

jim.cox
8th January 2009, 15:15
Moto Guzzi SP frame and 850 (now 950) motor. Anyone got any tips on getting it complied? Let me know.
Andy.

two pair of indicators might help

or is it old enough it doesnt need them?

Taz
8th January 2009, 15:28
Thanks. Have fitted E marked indicators.

vifferman
8th January 2009, 15:33
Kewlness! :niceone:

Voltaire
8th January 2009, 16:05
has it been registered here previously as that helps if they can find it on the system.
VTNZ on Sylvia Park Road is a good place to take 'older' bikes....if you know what I mean... I took in my Ducati...no issues and my friend took in a Honda 360 with no history and a letter/declaration from the Police and only had to fix a couple of minor things.
Your bar end indicators are probably legal, used on pre 70's Euro bikes.
They like to see lots of numbers on lights.
they like to see the speedo work.
Is your headlight left dipping?...thats a fav with my local WOF place.
nice bike, Doggyiti is big into Guzzis ( and boats).
no doubt he''l be along to throw in his 3 westy cents in....

Max Headroom
8th January 2009, 17:06
I noticed that you're based in Waiuku.

I've had three bikes VIN'ed at VTNZ Pukekohe over the years, and found them to be reasonable to deal with. Griff is the manager, and I've found him to be quite helpful.

Dodgyiti
8th January 2009, 19:37
ha!
yeah I told Anthrax to buy it! otherwise I would have.
it's a real sweetie, with loads of potential.

nudemetalz
8th January 2009, 21:59
I see "V7 Sport replica" potential there :) :Punk:

Dodgyiti
9th January 2009, 11:07
I see "V7 Sport replica" potential there :) :Punk:

me too, I was trying to hint at 750 Sport sidecovers instead of Lemans 1/2 :innocent:
and the V7 Sport dualseat would bolt straight on retaining the bling rear guard and they are actually comfy as opposed to other model's seats that fit to the Tonti rear tubes. you can buy them repro and a nice repro at that. But not exactly cheaply. the tail light can be retained because it is the same mount as T3/Convert/Calli 1

Maybe a tiny fly screen instead of a Mk1 fairing? :no:Too paint by numbers really, everyone does it (I am guilty x 2 !), there is a 'blank' one for sale on TM at the moment, but then you need the screen ($120) and brackets ($35) headlight hole rubber ($14) stainless fasteners and vibration proof grommets ($27) then drill the blade mounting holes and bracket bolt holes (mega guestimation unless you have a Mk1 to go by :shutup:) and then go over it with filler and spray putty, it take a bit of work to get unpainted fibreglass up to paintable quality.
And then paint it.

phew, I'm tired just thinking about it

I'm not sure of the bar end indicators, I tried it on at my local bikeshop come WOF time 2 years ago. They knocked me back and they had numbers on the lens but buggered if I now how to interpret them.

the pics, 2 bike both 750 Sports, one with Stucchi (sp?) type fairing and generic seat/tail section AND THE OTHER IS A v7 sport std seat and sidecovers, see how neatly they hug the frame tubes...gives it a sleek arse end, both tanks are sameish as yours. look closely at the rear guard- it is hinged, now go and remove the back wheel of your bike, now think how you could cut the rear guard and hinge it like that because you don't want to fix a punture on the rear 'side of the road' eh? (for non classic Guzzi folk- it can be a bloody mission sometimes!)

jonbuoy
12th January 2009, 09:51
Sweet looking bike, I think it looks cool as is - just needs an industrial size tin of mothers aluminum polish.

Taz
17th January 2009, 13:51
Most recent pics.....
Almost legal.

toycollector10
17th January 2009, 19:30
The question to be asking is "What does LTNZ require from me in the way of documentation to enable the bike to be put on the road legally". Have a good poke around the website, there's lots of good information on it.

If you put the question to Fiona Waititi (compliance) at LTNZ she will let you know. You'll be able to find her on their website. I found her to be very approachable and competent.

There's no advantage asking down at the local Vin'ing Centre as every one you talk to will give you a different answer, probably. It's best to go to the top, that is, Fiona. She'll reply by post.

Once you have "what they require from you", you can then go about "giving them what they want".

MotoKuzzi
17th January 2009, 19:48
Nice looking machine. I'm curious as to whether the brake and gear shift levers are custom made? At one stage i thought about doing this to my Cali to change my riding position, I find it quite comfortable to ride with both feet on the rear pegs but alas no brakes in a hurry. Not wishing to hijack the thread but does anyone else find the engine vibration giving them pins and needles in the feet?

69Norton
18th January 2009, 08:10
damn i like Guzzis!:rockon:

- thats all i have to say

vifferman
18th January 2009, 09:51
Not wishing to hijack the thread but does anyone else find the engine vibration giving them pins and needles in the feet?
The VFR800 has noticeable vibration in the left footpeg, which is why the factory fit a damaper weight to the bottom of it. I improved it further by filling the inside of the footpeg with lead. Sand or lead shot is also very good for damping vibes in footpegs or bars.

MotoKuzzi
18th January 2009, 10:34
Thanks for that, it is more noticeable in the left foot. Will try some of your suggestions.

toycollector10
18th January 2009, 18:31
This is weird, my old 1969 Honda CB750, 4-cylinder motorcycle, is 40 years old.

I can balance a two dollar coin on the tank while the engine is running and the coin won't fall over. It's smooth as silk up to the red line.

The assumption nowadays is that if it's the latest model, it's better, but in some instances, it ain't.

Taz
9th March 2009, 21:38
Latest pics. Off to try to get it vinned on wednesday.

R6_kid
9th March 2009, 22:15
Is that running linked brakes? Looking nice!

Taz
10th March 2009, 17:50
Is that running linked brakes? Looking nice!

Yes it has the linked set up.

Taz
11th March 2009, 14:01
Gloria the guzzi (think hippo from madagascar ) is now fully legal. All went smoothly. Only additional paperwork I needed was a statutory declaration signed by a JP and I had to change the headlight. Murray and the team from VINZ in Hamilton made the process painless and efficient. Highly recommend them. All done in a few hours not like the local crowd who needed 3 weeks to book you in and wanted the bike for 2-3 days.
Andy