PDA

View Full Version : Pre '89 GSXR1100 brakes?

puddy
9th January 2009, 00:57
Hi, I've just purchased a 1989 GSXR1100 and the brakes are CRAP. I want to use the bike for trackdays initially, and maybe one day if I ever grow the nuts............... And if I didn't grow any, and sold it, the next owner (with the aforementioned NUTS) would find the modifications useful.
So where do I find out what is and isn't allowed? What bits can you change? Braided lines? Discs? Calipers? Master cylinder?

malcy25
9th January 2009, 07:49
Go to the MNZ website and look back under news articles in June 08 and it has the proposed Pre89 rules were accepted basically as they are.

The short story is that brakes are deemed a major component and thus must fit the age cut off for the class. ie dec 31st 1989. That means you can use components of either OEM or aftermarket manufacture built and available prior to that date (or exact replicas of). Remember also you may or will have to prove this at some point. And just because it had floating discs that does not mean that any floating disc is acceptable - they must be of the period..

The class is essentially racing old bikes, so the parts need to be representative of the period. They won't be "perfect" and compared to your K7, I guess they won't have the performance. The trick is upgrading within what was allowable to get the best you want or can afford.

That basically covers discs and calipers. Brake lines are open as ar pads. The rules allow basically any mastercylinders except no "radial pull" style on a late model superbike.

Howver, I think a bigger Question is - why are your brakes so crap? From memory the GSXR brakes are okay. I'd be looking at tidying up what you have make sure it is working okay - ie pads, seals, lines, fluid, and check disc wear (maybe just needs a new set of copy rotors fitted by someone like Steve Bridge at F1 engineering)

puddy
11th January 2009, 20:21
a new set of copy rotors

Where from?

cs363
11th January 2009, 21:01
where from?

someone like steve bridge at f1 engineering

.......... :) :)

puddy
11th January 2009, 21:06
.......... :) :)
Sorry, thought Steve Bridge at F1 Engineering would fit them etc. Didn't realise he'd supply them too!:shit:

cs363
11th January 2009, 21:15
Sorry, thought Steve Bridge at F1 Engineering would fit them etc. Didn't realise he'd supply them too!:shit:

Lol, sometimes it's easy to miss the obvious! :) here's some more info: http://rapidartnz.com/catagories.htm#rotors

puddy
12th January 2009, 18:16
Cheers! That is exactly what I want!

imdying
17th January 2009, 09:09
Start with basic maintenance items;

- Replace the lines... if they're old rubber ones, after 3-5 years they're generally ready to be tossed, depending on a lot of things, but it's a good rule of thumb for something with that sort of wick!

- Replace the friction surfaces... grooved and worn discs won't give optimal track performance. Overheated or old falling apart pads, same deal. Any dealer in NZ will be able to price you up some Metal Gear discs (they get them through Whites if they don't know already). They seem to be good value for money. They also come with matching pads. Wear those out, then try some others for comparison, build your knowledge

- Strip and clean the calipers... This should be done on every bike at about say 6000kms or 6 months of use. Personally I prefer to take them off the forks and clean them (mostly the pistons) with a toothbrush every second wash the bike gets. Make sure the pads go back against the same piston when you're done. The seals have an effect on the way the piston moves, it's generally small, but can improve feel.

Once you're sure that your shit is tight, then move onto upgrades (yes fluid needs changing but you'd have done that when you stripped the calieprs down).

The seals in mcyls do get tired before they fail. Easy way to go is to get a mcyl from something later with similar bore and stroke dimensions. They're dead cheap off of eBay.

FROSTY
17th January 2009, 09:20
They guy I'd be haveing a yeodle to is Sugalite on here or if you can find him Bubbles grey. They both have a clue or two about getting old bikes to stop well .

Peter Smith
21st January 2009, 12:07
Hi Patrick,
When I first took my '89 to puke the brakes were crap too.
I fitted some braded lines and replace the fluid with some high temp stuff.
This got rid of the spongy feeling and they work great. Also get some racing brake pads.
I look forward to seeing you on the track.

Peter

scracha
21st January 2009, 16:47
Hi, I've just purchased a 1989 GSXR1100 and the brakes are CRAP. I want to use the bike for trackdays initially, and maybe one

It's a Suzuki and it's a dinosaur. What did you expect? Squeeze the lever harder...bwhahahah.

puddy
21st January 2009, 18:30
It's a Suzuki and it's a dinosaur. What did you expect? Squeeze the lever harder...bwhahahah.
I'm using both hands already!:lol: Am considering taking a pillion to help me squeeze it!:sweatdrop

mossy1200
13th February 2009, 12:02
Hi, I've just purchased a 1989 GSXR1100 and the brakes are CRAP. I want to use the bike for trackdays initially, and maybe one day if I ever grow the nuts............... And if I didn't grow any, and sold it, the next owner (with the aforementioned NUTS) would find the modifications useful.
So where do I find out what is and isn't allowed? What bits can you change? Braided lines? Discs? Calipers? Master cylinder?
Braided lines,good rotors,new fluid and replace caliper seals or get fzr1000w.

codgyoleracer
21st July 2011, 12:28
Newer modern style pads do make a reasonble difference, however backing plates to help with ressiting heat transfer can be handy if using at a track where you are asking a lot of brakes. (But then again its a Gixxer1100 so the inertia is pretty out there aye ........ :-) )

Grumph
23rd July 2011, 07:52
All the advice given to you here is good...no need to change the M/C size - when the lines and fluid are good feel will be good too.

Back in the day we used to cut down Ferodo DS8 car pads - the material was head & shoulders better than what you could get for bikes. Modern materials have made a big difference.

sugilite
24th July 2011, 23:15
Newer modern style pads do make a reasonble difference, however backing plates to help with ressiting heat transfer can be handy if using at a track where you are asking a lot of brakes. (But then again its a Gixxer1100 so the inertia is pretty out there aye ........ :-) )

Just as well you are faster on the track than replying to 2009 threads :p

codgyoleracer
1st August 2011, 12:55
Just as well you are faster on the track than replying to 2009 threads :p

Haha, Hows the ZXR *Hybrid coming along............

sugilite
2nd August 2011, 10:30
Haha, Hows the ZXR *Hybrid coming along............
Bit of a rollar coaster ride, turns out I cannot use the head or cams I had, but have sourced the right cams on the interwebby thing. The pistons and rods are genuine H1 factory race kit parts, so will use those. I did get a swingarm for 10 lb's on ebay.uk, but found the rules do not let me use it, just as well I found out before it got sent! Rhys has motor spread out in his work shop with crank away getting lightened. Darcy is going to do a wee bit of port work on the head we have. I'm working on the chasis and it's already lost 20 kg's of pork! Mike Web as been an absolute star and shared lots of info, but I've come to realize the reality for me is A: I don't have a sparrow farts worth of his engineering skills and B: I do have a sparrow farts budget! So my bike will never be anything like his one.
I'm loosely aiming for sometime in summer for the H1 to make a showing. :sunny:

BTW, imagine if someone built a proper 7/11? ouch

crazy man
3rd August 2011, 08:17
Bit of a rollar coaster ride, turns out I cannot use the head or cams I had, but have sourced the right cams on the interwebby thing. The pistons and rods are genuine H1 factory race kit parts, so will use those. I did get a swingarm for 10 lb's on ebay.uk, but found the rules do not let me use it, just as well I found out before it got sent! Rhys has motor spread out in his work shop with crank away getting lightened. Darcy is going to do a wee bit of port work on the head we have. I'm working on the chasis and it's already lost 20 kg's of pork! Mike Web as been an absolute star and shared lots of info, but I've come to realize the reality for me is A: I don't have a sparrow farts worth of his engineering skills and B: I do have a sparrow farts budget! So my bike will never be anything like his one.
I'm loosely aiming for sometime in summer for the H1 to make a showing. :sunny:

BTW, imagine if someone built a proper 7/11? ouchhi is that the standard 89 bike of the year you have or the race production one that came out that year?

blackdog
3rd August 2011, 11:02
hi is that the standard 89 bike of the year you have or the race production one that came out that year?

You are thinking of the 'RR' 750 i think.

sugilite
3rd August 2011, 21:00
hi is that the standard 89 bike of the year you have or the race production one that came out that year?
It is the standard one with genuine race kit pistons and rods. The RR versions did not come until later models of ZXR's. The "H"series were already awesome enough in standard form :lol:

codgyoleracer
4th August 2011, 08:50
You are thinking of the 'RR' 750 i think.

Pretty sure there was a "factory model" that year of the green meanie 750, and a reasnoble amount were produced used, you just had to be someone famous to get one............... (thats why sugalite and crazyman missed out,,,,,,,,, ) :-)

sugilite
4th August 2011, 09:43
nup, pretty sure it was later models. I've been trawling the internet pretty intensively for a few years now and never seen reference to any special "H" models. I do have a race parts catalog released by KHI though. Saw some interesting clutch parts that were made available that i had no idea existed!

blackdog
4th August 2011, 10:39
Pretty sure there was a "factory model" that year of the green meanie 750, and a reasnoble amount were produced used, you just had to be someone famous to get one............... (thats why sugalite and crazyman missed out,,,,,,,,, ) :-)

nup, pretty sure it was later models. I've been trawling the internet pretty intensively for a few years now and never seen reference to any special "H" models. I do have a race parts catalog released by KHI though. Saw some interesting clutch parts that were made available that i had no idea existed!

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/suzu/suzuki_gsxr750%2089%20Limited.htm

T.W.R
4th August 2011, 11:12

The 89 H1 had a factory race model called a "Stinger" if I remember rightly (got the details in an article):yes:
The 90 H2 motor was effectively the H1 motor with factory go-fast goodies :yes:

crazy man
4th August 2011, 15:14
lucky for me l have most of one he he TKA kitted out to

sugilite
4th August 2011, 20:02
The 89 H1 had a factory race model called a "Stinger" if I remember rightly (got the details in an article):yes:
The 90 H2 motor was effectively the H1 motor with factory go-fast goodies :yes:
I did get all excited when I 1st found references to the stinger tag, but after some investigation, it "seemed" to point to it just being the french name for it instead of the Ninja title the yanks got. I'd really appreciate seeing the article you mention if my investigating skills were naff! Thanks for the info regarding the H2, I are allowed to use cams from the h2, but unfortunately, the 5KG lighter swing arm is out of bounds :cry:
Have you still got your ZXR?
I've got a long way through getting my H1 back on the road after taking it completely apart and doing my best at refurbing it. It's motor will be essentially half the age of the last one, and I'm really looking forward to getting back out on a bike :yes:
I picked up a motor with a snapped cam chain (wanted the gear box for my sad one) and then a complete bike off the same guy for $750 (the race H1) and a box load of spares, like radiators, forks, wiring loom, clocks and such. The snapped cam chain motor had no other damage at all when I opened it, it even looked quite new with machining marks still on the pistons etc, stuff of miracles!

Here is one of the translated pages I found on the stinger...
http://translate.google.co.nz/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://jimstinger.kazeo.com/Musee-kawasaki-annees-80/ZXR-750-stinger-H1-H2,a386919.html&ei=UE46Tq62JYPzrQfB5-EX&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CFYQ7gEwCQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dzxr750%2Bstinger%26hl%3Den%26client%3 Dfirefox%26hs%3Djat%26rls%3Dcom.yahoo:en-US:official%26prmd%3Divns

T.W.R
4th August 2011, 21:36
I did get all excited when I 1st found references to the stinger tag, but after some investigation, it "seemed" to point to it just being the french name for it instead of the Ninja title the yanks got. I'd really appreciate seeing the article you mention if my investigating skills were naff! Thanks for the info regarding the H2, I are allowed to use cams from the h2, but unfortunately, the 5KG lighter swing arm is out of bounds :cry:
Have you still got your ZXR?
I've got a long way through getting my H1 back on the road after taking it completely apart and doing my best at refurbing it. It's motor will be essentially half the age of the last one, and I'm really looking forward to getting back out on a bike :yes:
I picked up a motor with a snapped cam chain (wanted the gear box for my sad one) and then a complete bike off the same guy for $750 (the race H1) and a box load of spares, like radiators, forks, wiring loom, clocks and such. The snapped cam chain motor had no other damage at all when I opened it, it even looked quite new with machining marks still on the pistons etc, stuff of miracles!

Here is one of the translated pages I found on the stinger...
http://translate.google.co.nz/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://jimstinger.kazeo.com/Musee-kawasaki-annees-80/ZXR-750-stinger-H1-H2,a386919.html&ei=UE46Tq62JYPzrQfB5-EX&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CFYQ7gEwCQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dzxr750%2Bstinger%26hl%3Den%26client%3 Dfirefox%26hs%3Djat%26rls%3Dcom.yahoo:en-US:official%26prmd%3Divns

In amongst the mass of mags & other bits n pieces I've got it's there somewhere but will try hunting it out :yes: It was loosely based around some of TKA's work with the ZXRs but made reference to KHI race program for the H1 & H2s. Also got a comprehensive article on a later model ZXR (J1 or J2) used in endurance racing that Kawasaki France (maybe??) put together :yes: about the same era that Aaron Slight & Rob Phillis campaigned ZXRs in the Aussie Superbikes

The H1 factory race kit cost either $7kUS or $12kUS at the time which made it a rare piece. Though the following year the H2 sported most of the items stock, that's why the H2 is rated @120hp and the H1 @105hp :yes:

Nah my old girl got sold in the pursuit of keeping my licence & keeping the neighbours at bay; she's getting ready to be punted around Ruapuna though (should have done it myself TBH :facepalm:)

Tin-ass scoring all those parts :shit: snapped cam-chain :sick: that's what started my spiral into fettling my old girl :shutup: I wasn't lucky though, 6 bent valves :facepalm:

I'm not far off ditching the 1100 for something else, something with a bit of spice :innocent:

sugilite
5th August 2011, 10:05
Thanks for offering to hunt the article out, I'm quite sure you already sent me the endurance J series one when I got the 1st ZXR :yes:

I found it quite surprising just how different the H1 and H2 are, not that many interchangeable s considering they look pretty much the same bar swingarm.

Sounds like there is a bit of a story behind your keeping the neighbours at bay comment! It's a problem with kawasakis, the cops know they are the fastest bikes out there lol

Yeah, tin arse for sure on the motor and bits, makes up for most of my race parts turning out to be GPX750 parts (heads and cams), all ones that I could not use due to the different valve actuation system allowing for down draft carbs on the H1 :facepalm:

Spice eh, lots of spices come in green?!

In amongst the mass of mags & other bits n pieces I've got it's there somewhere but will try hunting it out :yes: It was loosely based around some of TKA's work with the ZXRs but made reference to KHI race program for the H1 & H2s. Also got a comprehensive article on a later model ZXR (J1 or J2) used in endurance racing that Kawasaki France (maybe??) put together :yes: about the same era that Aaron Slight & Rob Phillis campaigned ZXRs in the Aussie Superbikes

The H1 factory race kit cost either $7kUS or $12kUS at the time which made it a rare piece. Though the following year the H2 sported most of the items stock, that's why the H2 is rated @120hp and the H1 @105hp :yes:

Nah my old girl got sold in the pursuit of keeping my licence & keeping the neighbours at bay; she's getting ready to be punted around Ruapuna though (should have done it myself TBH :facepalm:)

Tin-ass scoring all those parts :shit: snapped cam-chain :sick: that's what started my spiral into fettling my old girl :shutup: I wasn't lucky though, 6 bent valves :facepalm:

I'm not far off ditching the 1100 for something else, something with a bit of spice :innocent: