PDA

View Full Version : less than 2 year UK licence to NZ licence conversion

solly007
9th January 2009, 01:49
Hi all. Happy New Year!

I've got a job in Auckland, a place to stay and I'm coming over next month. YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

I've left things a bit late as usual but i'm shipping my 600 Hornet out with me, I think I've got that under control.

The main thing is converting my licence. I did direct access to get a category A big bike licence sraight off. I've had it less than two years so I guess I'll have to retake a practical test in NZ.

Does anyone know if I will need to take every test from learner licence to restricted licence to a full icence or will I be able to go straight for a full licence test?

If it's gonna take all that time from learner to full licence and I can't ride my Hornet I might sell up before leaving.:argh:

Cheers!:rockon:

Whynot
9th January 2009, 01:57
I thought if you did direct access you could ride anything?
or are you under 20 or whatever the age is that restricts the power ... ?
does it say anything on your photo license about restrictions?

solly007
9th January 2009, 02:10
I'm not restricted in the UK. I want to know if I will be restricted in NZ as I haven't had my UK licence over 2 years and so will have to retake my test in NZ.

Whynot
9th January 2009, 02:14
I swapped mine the other way after only having it a few months.
As long as its a valid full license i don't see why you shouldn't be able to convert it directly.

edit:

Also how long have you had your UK license?
you can ride for 12 months in NZ before you convert it .... that may help to get you over the two year period (if that is needed).

solly007
9th January 2009, 02:18
Yeah, thats what I was thinking but couldn't find propper info on it.

Only had my licence less than 6 months.

Whynot
9th January 2009, 02:40
try this (http://www.aa.co.nz/motoring/tips/ask-jack/advice/Pages/Converting-to-a-NZ-licence.aspx)

or this (http://www.broadbaseimmigration.co.uk/getting-started/driving-licence.html)

solly007
9th January 2009, 02:51
Thanks for the links!

It looks like I might be OK. I might try contacting the LTSA and see what they say.

Shaun
9th January 2009, 03:03
Thanks for the links!

It looks like I might be OK. I might try contacting the LTSA and see what they say.

Hi mate, Go to your travel agent and ask them how to apply for an International drivers license, and all will GOOD for you!!!

I know a kiwi used to be able to ride/drive in the UK using there Kiwi drivers license, NO need to change or get an International

Whynot
9th January 2009, 03:09
Hi mate, Go to your travel agent and ask them how to apply for an International drivers license, and all will GOOD for you!!!

I know a kiwi used to be able to ride/drive in the UK using there Kiwi drivers license, NO need to change or get an International

An international driving permit is just a piece of paper that only really serves as a translation of your existing license .... which is not really needed in this case.

Kiwis can drive/ride in the UK for up to 12 months on their NZ license before being required to convert to the local one.

The same goes for Brits in NZ.

Shaun
9th January 2009, 03:29
An international driving permit is just a piece of paper that only really serves as a translation of your existing license .... which is not really needed in this case.

Kiwis can drive/ride in the UK for up to 12 months on their NZ license before being required to convert to the local one.

The same goes for Brits in NZ.

I realise that mate, I was just helping put his mind to rest about his license! He already is OK with what he has, but the INT thing will just let him relax more as he is then Gauanteed that he is ok to ride here

fliplid
9th January 2009, 07:02
http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/56.html - as portokiwi posted in an earlier thread