PDA

View Full Version : Never mind the Shinkos

grego
9th January 2009, 17:33
they are now too pricey.
Was shopping for a set of tyres for my Er6 and thought that for my kinda driving a set of Shinko 005 advance might do. (I have done km 12450 on the original 221 Dunlops, so call me a nana-driver)
Unfortunately the prices quoted at haldanes website were missleading, as they were given in US $.

By the time the correction to kiwi dollars was done the Shinkos were going to cost me $ 460 +

Got a set of Michelin pilot road 2 from a well known bike shop in Mt. Manganui and they costed me $ 528

At this little difference in price it realy becomes a "no brainer".....................

Another thing i found out is that it realy pays to shop around. The difference in tyre fitting costs I got quoted ranged from $16.50 to $ 45
That is for fitting the new tyre to the "bare wheel", naturally taking the wheels off the bike and fitting them back on was extra, mostly quoted at $ 70/hour.
Nobody localy was willing to offer free fitting if I buy the tyres from them.

Gosh ! It's a tough world out there. I am kinda glad that this is going to be my last motorbike. :msn-wink:
grego

megageoff76
9th January 2009, 19:56
I bought a set of those 005's Advances for my 1100 about a year ago for $280.

I wouldn't recommend them to anyone no matter how cheap you can get them.

I knew i'd fucked up with them about 3 minutes down the road from the shop. When slowing to a stop, the front weaved following the tread pattern, and you could also feel the tread pattern on the rear through the footpegs as the vibrations were making my feet go numb.

Despite all that, I never had any problems with the grip in the dry, but the rear would spin up without to much provocation in the wet.

Same old story, you get what you pay for.

MaxCannon
9th January 2009, 20:02
I had a set of the 005s on my old Kawasaki ZZR400
For a low power bike they worked just fine.
Got a good price (I forget how much) through Colemans.
I used them for commuting in all weather and a bit of riding in the twisties.

I would however only recommend them to people on a serious budget.
The tyres are (ideally) the only part of the bike that is touching the ground. For a few bucks extra you can get better rubber.

nico
10th January 2009, 06:09
ive got oo5's on my vfr get around 15-16 thou of a set neva had a problem with then wet or dry i got new set about 3 months ago $120 front $230rear and $40 to fit both :niceone:

grego
10th January 2009, 17:38
all tires have gone up because of the oil prices so they claim.

Last December 2007 i needed a pair of tires for my tintop. As i am a bit anal I keep the receipt for a year because of the warranty. I paid $ 180 the pair balanced and fitted. Unfortunatel I slashed a tire last week and now needed another 2.
Same place, same tire : $ 260

According to the man from Firestone tires went up in price 3 times in 2008

So I set to him: Now that oil has gone down again I spouse the prices of the tires will also come down, right ?
We all had a good laugh........Yeah right
grego

MSTRS
10th January 2009, 17:59
Another thing i found out is that it realy pays to shop around. .....
Nobody localy was willing to offer free fitting if I buy the tyres from them.

Shop around....yep. Ericksen Honda do free fit and balance....I know, cos I talked to them about tyres on Tuesday

Bumblebeeman1150
10th January 2009, 22:37
I don't think the brand deserves to be condemned out of hand for being cheaper. I have a 003 front and 009 rear combination on my CB1300 for which I paid $AUS275 fitted and they shit all over the Bridgestones 015s I took off. Perfect for this bike and my riding, wet or dry, playing hard or cruising. Bridgestone don't make bad tyres by any stretch of the imagination, but some tyre designs just don't work well on some bikes, and I wanted more grip than a full touring tyre. The Shinkos are barely worn after 5000km.

It's not just about the money; only if the tyre works properly do I give it credit, and trust my life with it. :woohoo: