PDA

View Full Version : Christchurch: Classic Japanese Motorycycle Show

toycollector10
10th January 2009, 05:22
A bike show is being organised for April the 5th by the Classic Japanese Motorcycle Group. It's going to be held at the Papanui Club.

If you have a pre 1985 Japanese bike in a tidy condition and you would like to show it, please email your details and at least one picture of the bike to cjmgch@gmail.com

The organisers are looking for a good cross section of bikes from 50cc step- throughs and trail bikes up to the more exotic large capacity machines.

Paulo
11th January 2009, 10:02
Sounds Good!! , hopefully my project will be done (legal) and I can ride down for a look, Not tidy enough for showing though. All the best with the Show

The Lone Rider
11th January 2009, 15:06
Dang! I was hoping you'd do a Jap bike show.. not just classics.

I a sad panda now :(

imdying
12th January 2009, 08:45
I've a 1993 Lucky Strike VJ22 RGV250... don't get much more classic Jap sportsbike than that heh :D

Looking forward to seeing the show... any 85 GSXR750s lined up perchance? :yes:

rabidnz
12th January 2009, 12:13
hells yeah son ill be there, be nice to get an idea of other crazy people who like old(ish) jap bikes, ill burn down on the rg , surely thats pretty close to being classic 2 stroke :)

mdnzz
19th January 2009, 07:12
is not ready, it would certainly pass as a classic

toycollector10
19th January 2009, 19:27
Come and have a look guys, I think it's going to be a great show.

Some of the bikes we will have are as follows, mostly pre 1985.

Various early Yamaha models including XS2 and smaller capacity two stroke twins.
Kawasaki 1973 Z1, Z1A, Z1B
Kawasaki A7 street scrambler, 1967 Kawa 350 twin Samurai.
All Kawa triples from the Mach III's to the H2. I'm not sure if there is a 250 in there or not.
Suzuki Titan, Cobra, Stinger, T20 Hustler, (we hope), and smaller 200cc twin Street Scrambler, Waterbus. Hopefully all the models of the Ram-Air twins. RE5, Maybe a Benly.
Honda CB750 K0 plus K1 and K2, 350F four, various step through scooters and pressed frame singles etc going back to 1967 and trail bikes, hopefully an Elsinor etc. Plus lots of later stuff like an early GSXR, I think....It's early days.

All the stuff that's been pulled out of the back of sheds and put back or not put back but interesting all the same.

I saw a nice Honda CB750 K8 last week with dealer plates on. It would be great to get that to the show if anyone knows anything about it.

All subject to who turns up on the day after saying they would be there etc....

Tell your mates!!

98tls
19th January 2009, 19:34
Good work and better still i am off shift that weekend so a few of us from downunder will be up to drool.:laugh:

SDU
20th January 2009, 14:53
Make sure you remind us closer to time so we don't miss it.

toycollector10
25th January 2009, 18:17
Two years as a group. We're getting new members all the time.

Tell 'yer mates about the show too.

MIXONE
25th January 2009, 18:31
I wish it was the following weekend when I'm in town.

Armitage Shanks
5th February 2009, 19:40
Might come and have a squiz, as us older guys know though..... the late 60's through to mid 80's were largely the era of the trail / dirt bike too. Sounds like a road bike only show obviously which is a bugger !

I'll leave My toys at home but visit anyway ......maybe, well done on your organising anyway.

toycollector10
5th February 2009, 21:24
Hopefully there'll be some trail bikes there also. What's happening is that as word spreads about the show lots of Vintage Japanese Motorcycle fans are contacting us. They want to show their bikes, which is fantastic. But, because of the response, space is tight and there's room for only so many bikes at the venue we have contracted to. We want to cater for all tastes but I can assure all motorcyclists that this will be a show to remember!

If you have a nice Japanese bike in original condition or one that's restored, get in contact through cjmgch@gmail.com and attach a picture of what you want to display and we'll get back to you. Even if there isn't room this year we'll be having another show in 2011. And probably we'll need to find a larger venue to accommodate everyone.

The response so far has been unexpectedly good. This just confirms there's a world wide trend and interest in these early Japanese Bikes.

Jerry74
6th February 2009, 01:05
Bugger I sold my GS450 a long time ago too.. should be good to see these oldies again.

toycollector10
13th February 2009, 22:03
We've been in contact with lots of people who are keen to present their bikes.

I think the show is going to be one out of the bag!

A display of Japanese bikes from the "Golden Age".

Pretty much unheard of. Tell your mates and get on down to the show.

toycollector10
20th February 2009, 11:20
UPDATE: We've not been able to source any of the Suzuki Ram Air twins.

dangerous
15th March 2009, 17:14
UPDATE: We've not been able to source any of the Suzuki Ram Air twins.
Keen for a XN85 and some race preped LC's (could get one with its rd gear back on?)

And for those keen to see Pre 82 Jappers struting it out on the track there is a meeting at Ruapuna on the 4th with a CAM's class, other classes are SS, Buckets and motards.

toycollector10
16th March 2009, 22:52
Sorry Dangerous, entries are closed. Maybe in 2011.....

Tell yer mates though, and get on down to the bike show it will be one to remember...

gammaguy
16th March 2009, 23:15
wont be putting the Gamma in the show,but for sure i will ride it there to have a look round:niceone:

dangerous
17th March 2009, 05:04
Sorry Dangerous, entries are closed. Maybe in 2011.....

Dont be sorry, would be a pain to get the bikes down there anyway... only offered to get ya numbers up, but thats obvisly not a problem anyway, mind you I wouldnt have thought you could of had to many in a show :wacko:

toycollector10
18th March 2009, 22:48
This is going to be held at The Papanui Club on Sunday the 5th of April. The club is at 310 Sawyers Arms Road. 0900-0430. $5 entry, children free. Proceeds to the Burwood Spinal Unit.

This will be one of the very few chances to view a large range of early Japanese bikes from the "Golden Age", that is, pre 1985.

If you don't get to see the show you will have to wait a long time before you will see such a fantastic line up of classic and legendary bikes again.

Most of them rarely seen on the roads for over 30 or 40 years.

dangerous
19th March 2009, 17:15
If you don't get to see the show you will have to wait a long time before you will see such a fantastic line up of classic and legendary bikes again.

Most of them rarely seen on the roads for over 30 or 40 years. bet ya thers no XN85 TURBO there tho LOL, coulda been :bleh:

toycollector10
20th March 2009, 22:08
The numbers are good, 71 entries confirmed with about 20 still to send in their
completed forms etc.

So if everyone turns up on the day to put their bikes into the clubrooms visitors will be viewing approximately 90 motorcycles.

johngalt
22nd March 2009, 12:14
to bring my 85 xl200r:2thumbsup . Looks like it is going to be a great show, can't wait.

toycollector10
22nd March 2009, 15:38
What would be good is if all enthusiasts who own an old Japanese bike, condition irrelevant, rode it down to the show. There would then be a mini revolving outdoor show going on as well.

Also, we will hopefully have a noticeboard where people can put up their for sale and wanted advertisements.

MikeH1A
24th March 2009, 21:07
Hi Guys,

I've just been doing the book work for the show here in CHCH. We have 94 confirmed entries. The oldest being a 1959 Honda Dream and the youngest a 1983 CB1100R. The bikes are coming from Oamaru, Greymouth and Wellington as well as the local beasts. If you are into Japanese classics, this will be the place to be with a wealth of knowledge and mechanical/restoration experience amongst the exhibitors.

Hope to see some of you there. Come down, have a beer and a yarn.

MikeH1A

P.S. We also have Kwaka triples from 69 thru to 76!!!!!!!!!

HenryDorsetCase
30th March 2009, 13:02
I'm really looking forward to this I must say!

McWild
31st March 2009, 09:04
What time does it kick off/finish?

MikeH1A
31st March 2009, 21:15
Hi there,

The show will be open from 9am on Sunday thru to 4.30pm. There is a bar there and plenty of aging (and not so aging) biker boys will be around to talk classic stuff. Hope you can make it. I can assure you that there are some beautiful jappas that will be on show. I'm amazed at what people have had hidden in their garages.

Mike H1A

Bonez
1st April 2009, 05:17
Hi there,

The show will be open from 9am on Sunday thru to 4.30pm. There is a bar there and plenty of aging (and not so aging) biker boys will be around to talk classic stuff. Hope you can make it. I can assure you that there are some beautiful jappas that will be on show. I'm amazed at what people have had hidden in their garages.

I'll get Toycollector to post some pics of the event for those that can't make it.

Mike H1AThat would be neat.

toycollector10
4th April 2009, 20:16
As I'm typing it's Saturday the 4th of April. I've spent the day helping to set up the Japanese bike show. The show is on tomorrow, Sunday the 5th of April. At the Papanui Club at 310 Sawyers Arms Road Christchurch from 09.00AM until 04.30PM.

Here's some teaser pics from the set up. We have 98 restored bikes for you to look at and reminisce over. Sorry about the blurry pictures, I'm not a pro.

So get down there and have a look if it's of any interest to you.

EJK
4th April 2009, 20:19
Wow
Mint!

Romeo
4th April 2009, 21:03
WOW Dad, you and the boys have totally outdone yourselves! Big ups to everyone who fronted as well!

I'll be there with bells on!

:rockon:

SDU
5th April 2009, 12:39
:2thumbsup:clap: look awesome.
Hope you have a great turnout.

200BUSA
5th April 2009, 12:48
Had a look this morning and some very nice bikes. Many models i have owned over the years and a few i would love to still get. Credit to the guys for a great display.

munterk6
5th April 2009, 14:12
It was pretty cool seeing all the old bikes, many of them I have ridden and have great memories of... :crybaby:
Great place to meet old mates and people you haven't seen for ages. :yes:

Hawk
5th April 2009, 15:32
great setup, brought back some memories, Thanks guys.

johngalt
5th April 2009, 16:26
Please let us all know which bike took best bike award, and best of each make. Great show guys, look forward to next year, maybe in pioneer stadium with more bikes:soon:. Once again good job

McWild
5th April 2009, 18:03
Man that was so cool. I'm so glad I went, such a good job was done. I didn't think there could ever be so many incarnations of gorgeous H1s and H2s in the same place, but there you go. And the dealership sticker with the 5 digit phone number on the back of the RM125 was gold. As well as an original breaking in sticker on the tacho of one of the H1s.
Plus I swear that half the bikes in the carpark were GSXRs, it was a show for them in their own right!

HenryDorsetCase
5th April 2009, 18:21
Thanks guys for organising a great show. I enjoyed it a lot.

and yes, please let us know what was the "best in show" and the other winners.

My vote went to the CR750 rep/race bike for best Honda and best overall.

Oh, and the carpark was worth a wander thru also: saw a CBX with 6 into 6 pipes.

Yee haw!

Kickaha
5th April 2009, 19:08
A lot of very nice well presented bikes, but they were a bit shiny and looked a bit unused for me

My pick of the show would be the CB1100R

dangerous
5th April 2009, 19:23
And the dealership sticker with the 5 digit phone number on the back of the RM125 was gold.
man... that ws a RM315, ment to be a single but a T350 twin was fitted into it, cool aye

My vote went to the CR750 rep/race bike for best Honda and best overall!
that was farking nice, but it pisses me to se such bikes not being riden.

A lot of very nice well presented bikes, but they were a bit shiny and looked a bit unused for me

My pick of the show would be the CB1100R
ya know... Id have to agree, reckon the bikes with oil patchs under them are the ones riden, those with out dont have any oil in em.

McWild
5th April 2009, 21:03
Oops yeah that sounds more correct.

I saw and heard the 6 into 6 CBX come in and man, did that sound amazing. It was just very, very, very cool.
I think that CB1100R is still in use, me and a mate went to Diamond Harbour last Sunday and pulled up next to one exactly like it, I'm sure it's the same one.
The rotary in the Suzuki section was fantastic too, it would have been a treat to hear running.

Orange-TOR
7th April 2009, 13:12
A fantastic show, a credit to the CJMG crew.
So many bikes that were easy to overlook too, such as the ST90 C50 and other small fry.
It was well worth the effort to go (I brought the XT down from Wellington).
I am sure for the next one you will need a bigger venue, judging from the number of times I heard folk inspired to get back to work on their (stalled) projects. There will be no shortage of entries, maybe even the odd Ram Air Suzuki or XN85...

SPman
7th April 2009, 14:23
Oh, and the carpark was worth a wander thru also: saw a CBX with 6 into 6 pipes.

Yee haw!
Did it look like this?

(http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa36/JonL_photo/CBX1000.jpg%5B/IMG%5D)

SVboy
8th April 2009, 12:41
Great show. I couldnt decide what to vote for. I personally found it more interesting that a brit bike show-more relevant to my youth and memories.

dangerous
8th April 2009, 18:27
Great show. I couldnt decide what to vote for. I personally found it more interesting that a brit bike show-more relevant to my youth and memories.

yeah hey look.. I been thinking and yes it was a great show for a firster... BUT, were where the dungers the every day post classic japper, the bikes that show their personalty, the bikes that prove how sterdy they are... nex year Id like to see twice as many and the show pony gloss lost, well not lost but twice the bikes and a bigger verity, put the scruffs in, I cant believe there were no RD LC's yet I offered 2 (only one would have showed as Rashika biffed hers away the day before racing) fark get one of every factory turbo there make it a 2 dayer event.

Id like to see the CB range from dry sump to 1100R including the K a race bike section etc more trail bikes fark the Japs ruled in this era, next year THINK BIG

200BUSA
13th April 2009, 19:30
Anyone got the list of winners in the show?

MVnut
16th April 2009, 20:12
Anyone got the list of winners in the show?

Yeah what bikes were the class and overall winners:argh:

toycollector10
17th April 2009, 20:43
Sorry for the delay in getting these pictures posted, I took off for Aussy after the show and have only recently returned.

toycollector10
17th April 2009, 20:45
More pics....

MVnut
17th April 2009, 21:08
And .................................................. ...........who won (please):zzzz:

toycollector10
17th April 2009, 21:25
Once again, sorry for the blurry pictures. And the winners were:

Best Honda: A beautiful Honda CB400F four. Owner Dave McConway.There is a nice story behind this bike. I hope I've got it right as I didn't hear it first hand. The owner used to own one in his youth and as most of us have done over the years, regretted selling. A lot! So his son, and I think, his brother, bought this bike and set about restoring it to present to Dave on his 50th birthday. And as Dave said when he accepted his certificate for Best Honda, "And they say grown men don't cry!"...or words to that effect.

Best Kawasaki: An immaculate 1969 H1 Mach III. The classic and unforgettable "Widow Maker". Owned and restored by CJMG founding member Graham Baker. I saw this bike last year when it was parted out on Graham's workbench and nothing had been left untouched or refurbished. A real head turner for sure!

Best Yamaha:A 1972 XS2. Once again, owned by Graham Baker. If anyone thinks putting a bike like this together is a piece of piss, think again. Graham entertained us with some of the problems he has had getting this machine rideable and into the show. I think perseverance sums it up. What's he going to do next? Stay tuned.

Best Suzuki: A T500 Cobra from 1968. Owned and restored by Daryl Waller. What a nice machine. Absolutely flawless right down to what looked like a NOS seat dredged out of who knows where. Where do you find NOS parts for a bike this old? You hunt them down with a single minded determination to have one of the best vintage Suzukis in New Zealand, if not the world.

Best in Show: Daryl Waller. Suzuki T500 Cobra which also took out the certificate for best Suzuki, as above. A great effort. And note that the 350 Rebel parked next to the Cobra was Daryl's also.

So it's really about a passion for the bikes and the companionship of like minded enthusiasts. Most of the CJMG guys overheard conversations and comments from visitors to the show. All were very positive about the presentation of the bikes. And personally, I thought a lot of visitors were in some way entertained or involved in that they were seeing bikes that they hadn't seen for a long time. And moved by that.

MVnut
17th April 2009, 21:32
Ah well I wasn't that far off. My winners were the Yamaha RD350 Team Toad, the White Kawasaki Mach lll, the Suzuki Cobra, the Honda CR750 and overall the Kwaka, :2thumbsup for the results and pics ToyCollector

toycollector10
17th April 2009, 21:41
And here's a video that sums up the spirit of the age. Draw your own conclusions, but this isn't an ATGATT thread, OK!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/buga91RLVHg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/buga91RLVHg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Paulo
21st April 2009, 11:23
Great Pics thanks for posting those, Sad I couldn't make it down. looks like a lot of work and spit and poloish went into the show. Hope to make it along to the next one .

HenryDorsetCase
21st April 2009, 13:22
interesting. I also have some photos which I could post up. I took a LOT of the CR750 Honda. a lot.

toycollector10
21st April 2009, 20:15
interesting. I also have some photos which I could post up. I took a LOT of the CR750 Honda. a lot.

Please post up what you have, my pics are cr*p. Thanks

toycollector10
30th April 2009, 22:17
Sunday the 26th of April. The picture is of Mike McKinney and members of the CJMG presenting a cheque to the Spinal Unit Consultant, Mr Raj Singhal.

The cheque was for $2,500, being the nett proceeds of the bike show.

Eurodave
31st May 2009, 12:34

Id REALLY like to see some of the completed CR750 that I built parts for please........

HenryDorsetCase
1st June 2009, 17:17
OK lets see if this works.

HenryDorsetCase
1st June 2009, 17:23
four more (1o charachter)

HenryDorsetCase
1st June 2009, 17:30
getting there.

HenryDorsetCase
1st June 2009, 17:36
last couple.

Things I really liked about this bike: the frame mods and the way the fuel tank went on, the fairing and fairing brackets, rearsets, custom oil tank, the 4-4 megas and the long tank, bum stop seat look. The detail construction work is really well done also, I love stuff like the engine-turned dash panel and the rearsets.

Reason I took so many close ups is I have bits of CB750 which I want to convert to a cafe racer: they are now waaaay too expensive to restore, but a custom style thing should be do-able, me doing what I can, farming out the rest.

Gotta love the Keihin CR's too! Maybe not so much for a street bike.

dangerous
1st June 2009, 17:44
way cool aye.. what would be cooler is to see it on the track been given the berrys... such a pitty these bikes get mothballed, might as well have a painting on the wall of one.

HenryDorsetCase
1st June 2009, 17:47
here are some of the other bikes I really liked.

HenryDorsetCase
1st June 2009, 17:56
some of the little bikes are very cool. Goodness knows how much money has been spent on some of them!

Eurodave
1st June 2009, 18:01
Cheers for the GR8 pix M8 :)
If you ever want copies of that CR's tank,seat & fairing youll know where to come.......:msn-wink:

HenryDorsetCase
1st June 2009, 18:04
last ones. Including the CBX in the carpark

Kickaha
1st June 2009, 18:05
If you ever want copies of that CR's tank,seat & fairing youll know where to come.......:msn-wink:

Yeah Airtech http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/hondaz/CR7501969-77SINCAM.htm :bleh:

Oh yeah Eurodave does great work as well :msn-wink:

Eurodave
1st June 2009, 18:18
Oh yeah Eurodave does great work as well :msn-wink:

Thankyou for your vote of confidence 'sir' :niceone:
BTW: any progress pix of the XJ?

HenryDorsetCase
1st June 2009, 22:40

You're welcome. I can hook you up with full size ones on a CD if you'd like them.

I also have you on my list of people to contact when the CB750 cafe racer of doom gets underway. :)