PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to adventure bike "posters"...

awayatc
10th January 2009, 17:40
When i got my Aprilia pegaso a year or so ago, I knew little or nothing.......
I still don't know much, but have learned a lot from trolling through this forum, and having met and talked to people like cooneyer, transalper and Shrek to name a few....

After my first puncture which took a bit of doing, I read all relevant posts on the matter, bought levers, spare tube,hand pump, rubber hammer and puncture repair kit.......
I replaced my tube at home myself which was a great learning curve, and last week on my trip to work from Christchurch to New Plymouth I got a puncture again south of Wanganui.....I caried all I need to help myself, but as ususal am a bit F**kt without a centre stand....
Luckily there was a sturdy post about (advertising a stud farm...) and my tiedowns for the ferry where put to good use to lash and hang my bike up against said post....
(looked like poor bike had been lynched)
A loose spoke had ruptured my tube....and while nosing around I found another 7 spokes with sheared off heads that needed removing......
In went the spare tube and off I went..... for about a hundred or so kms untill the rear became noticably unsteady at a fast corner.......
Yes unbelievably I had picked up a rusty nail in the middle of nowhere special........
And because of my spirited riding at the time, the valve sort of got ripped out of my new spare tube!
Luckily tube no 1 was still salvagable, and patched up it was.....
I got a little bit later then planned into New plymouth, but luckily the boat was even later....24 hours late to be precise.
At Image Motorcycles I ordered 10 new spokes (2 spare), a new heavy duty tube and a Mitas EO7 tyre.....
Oh and my chain and sprockets had developed a tight spot, so needed replacing as well.
Managed to get 7000kms out of my last tyre (Trailwing) and chain and sprockets.........
Got all my goodies yesterday and replaced the lot myself of course....need all the practice I can get!

Thanks Guys, feels great to be able to get yourself out of the Sh*t......
Especialy since I am an expert in gettting myself always into some.....

buggsubique
10th January 2009, 17:55
Hey, I know what you mean. I saw a couple of TA's adv riding vids on Youtube when I had my 250 and thought Man, I gotta get into it more. Learnt what I could off the 250 in terms of riding (incl changing tyres!) then became a bit more active in here, bigger bike, a few mates...hell, now I can even do a rear tyre change in 20 mins flat, axle out to axle in.

There's a good handful of fellas full of good advice and friendly discussion that really accellerate the learning process. Tis a good place to be a part of. Course you do get the odd Professor :yawn:, but they get sniffed out pretty quick.

Paladin
10th January 2009, 20:17
Hey, I know what you mean. I saw a couple of TA's adv riding vids on Youtube when I had my 250 and thought Man, I gotta get into it more. Learnt what I could off the 250 in terms of riding (incl changing tyres!) then became a bit more active in here, bigger bike, a few mates...hell, now I can even do a rear tyre change in 20 mins flat, axle out to axle in.

There's a good handful of fellas full of good advice and friendly discussion that really accellerate the learning process. Tis a good place to be a part of. Course you do get the odd Professor :yawn:, but they get sniffed out pretty quick.

Yep couldn't agree more! This ADV/DS forum has some top people in it and what's great is when you meet them in person they are just as friendly and easy to get on with! I agree Transalper's YouTube vids ARE an inspiration to noobs like myself - I watched them and thought "F*CK! That looks a total blast - these guys are really out there doing it!" Those vids and the fantastic input in this forum have really given me the confidence and inspiration to just get out there and DO IT, even though I'd never ridden offroad before October!

Transalper
10th January 2009, 22:03
Good on you guys, I didn't really start going places far off the beaten track myself untill I hooked up here on KB with PLUG first and eventually cooneyr as well.

The mention of my vids kind of inspires me to get my shit together and get back to finishing the next one sooner rather than later.
There's a heap of stuff here on tape that needs a big trim and upload still.

Paladin
11th January 2009, 08:24
Good on you guys, I didn't really start going places far off the beaten track myself untill I hooked up here on KB with PLUG first and eventually cooneyr as well.

The mention of my vids kind of inspires me to get my shit together and get back to finishing the next one sooner rather than later.
There's a heap of stuff here on tape that needs a big trim and upload still.

Big thx to you T/A for doing those vids - they really are an inspiration to go out and have some fun - I think it's the Sea to Ski one where you guys end up in snow on little more than a goat track width ridge near the summit blew my mind - you guys are all nutters LOL! They do make me wish I was in the South Island though, I think you guys have alot more tracks virtually on your doorstep than we do in the south of the North Island. (I blame the ex-wife for wanting to live in Welly when I wanted to move to Nelson! :angry:) Still there are some great guys in our area AND they are SO up for getting out there and exploring and having fun - see our report on the Orongorongo ride we did yesterday for example! Hopefully will get to meet a few of the SI guys on the 2 dayer in Feb as some are headed over on the ferry I think & am sure I'll get down to the SI in the not too distant future to go exploring too. Thx again & hopefully will meet you down the road sometime!

Underground
11th January 2009, 20:57

Twenny minutes Buggs !! hell I'm going to throw my tyre irons out of the tool kit and just carry your cell number instead :clap:

buggsubique
12th January 2009, 08:50
Hey that's for a trailbike, not a quarter tonne supertanker like half you blokes ride!

CrazyFrog
12th January 2009, 10:19
Twenny minutes Buggs !! hell I'm going to throw my tyre irons out of the tool kit and just carry your cell number instead :clap:

I think I changed my KTM tyre in 15mins the night before the Dusty Butt (after getting a flat from a 6" nail coming home from Warewolf's BBQ). I contribute the quick change to adrenalin and a lot of furious tyre lever action, warm tyre and plenty of soap :done:
Actually to tell you the truth, I changed two, as I nipped the first tube from being a bit too rushed !!!