PDA

View Full Version : UK biker riding round New Zealand Jan-March '09

One for the road
10th January 2009, 17:43
Hi there guys and gals,

I've met some of the KB members up in Auckland this week on the thursday night ride-out whilst riding The Stranger's (Noel's) XT, and then the following night at his spit-roast evening (..no giggling at the back there..). All have been a great laugh, and it's been a pleasure to make your acquaintance, especially Noel who's been an absolutely amazing host! - It has to be said that consistently the nicest people I've met on my travels have been the bikers I've encountered. Hence why I'm now writing on here, to see if I can't meet some more of the Kiwi brand.

So for those of you who don't know my story here it is in brief (for more details you can go to www.motonick.com);

Having worked in motorcycle design and related fields for the last 5 years, I decided to jack it in to travel on my motorcycle. I've been riding for the last 9 months from England on 'Maggie', my trusty Yamaha XT660R. Now after 30,000+kms through 16 countries, I've reached the last of my trip, New Zealand. It's been a fantastic ride, and I've met some wonderful people, but new challenges lie ahead as I've decided to pursue setting up a motorcycle company of my own...

Anyway, the bike's arriving next week, and since I'm permanently importing her into NZ, I hope to have her registered and all the necessary paperwork completed by the weekend (all fingers and toes crossed...), before heading off around the north island for about 2/3 weeks. After about 12th Feb I plan on being at my father's place near Nelson for a bit, and then will be touring the south island for a month with my girlfriend who will be arriving 15th Feb.

My route is only loosely determined so far, but anyone who wants to meet up for beers/dinner, ride with me/us, or dare I say it offer me/us some place to sleep, I'd love to hear from you!

Cheers for now!

98tls
10th January 2009, 18:01
Welcome,whilst down south if you need a bed/beer/ whatever, sing out,i work 4 days on 4 off so a fair chance i will be around.

Mom
10th January 2009, 18:06
We are around here after Jan 24th. If you need a bed, coffee or beer whislte out. Enjoy your travels mate!

One for the road
11th January 2009, 11:00
Hey thanks for the offers guys,

@ Mom - I've been up north of Auckland in a hire car last week, but thanks for the offer. Hope the rest of NZ has the same quality of twisties, and cool people that I found there!

@ 98tls - where are you exactly...? Are you down south on the north island, or someplace on the south island? Wherever it is, I'm sure I've yet to come through there, so hope we can hook up at some point.

As a side note - What the f**k is this rain all about... I thought you guys had "proper" summers over here, and it didn't rain in the summer like in the UK! Apparently I was wrong.

Nasty
11th January 2009, 11:04
Heya mate .. always got a bed and a beer for a traveller .. am located in Wellington ... will PM you some details :)

PirateJafa
11th January 2009, 11:09
As a side note - What the f**k is this rain all about... I thought you guys had "proper" summers over here, and it didn't rain in the summer like in the UK! Apparently I was wrong.

You brought the weather with you, ya bastard! ;)

paulmac
11th January 2009, 11:15
bed and beer avaliable in taranaki if you need it !

martybabe
11th January 2009, 12:23
Beer, bed and secure garage at the pommy mansion in New plymouth for one or both of you, any time up to late Feb. Enjoy your trip. :yes:

One for the road
13th January 2009, 11:47
Thanks all for your offers, have/will message you personally if the system lets me. May have to write some drivel on other posts to get my post count up first...

Have to say the Kiwis are starting to rival the Uzbeks (that's people who inhabit Uzbekistan by the way) for top hospitality spot!

Cheers

Beemer
13th January 2009, 14:06
Although we've had a couple of solo riders stay with us who perhaps wouldn't be invited back (!), you look and sound pretty normal so you'd be welcome to call in and/or stay with us if you are heading our way! We have the top thread in this part of the forum and last week had Juergen and Heike from Germany to stay.

We have a spare room and secure garaging, and we're just off SH1 in the country north of Levin so feel free to contact us for details.

Faye and Andy

One for the road
13th January 2009, 18:18
Rather than contaminate other postings to get my count up high enough to PM, I think better I do it to my own posting!

@Nasty - I think I emailed you to say thanks for the offer, but seem to be sorted for Wellington accomodation for now, but if it changes then I'll get in touch.

@paulmac - can you PM me your phone number so I can get in touch closer to the time if I'm coming your way?

@martybabe - how big is this mansion precisely..? Is there say a jacuzzi in the spare room..? Also can you let me know your number too by PM?

@Beemer - Well observed on the normal thing! You must have a keen eye for it. Normal, as charged. Can you also PM me your contact details. Not sure if I'm coming down past Levin or on the east side, but will let you know if I'm coming.

Thanks for the offers all.

paulmac
14th January 2009, 06:42
Beer, bed and secure garage -----mansion in---- New plymouth :yes:

Marty, sounds like we'd better have the next KB piss up at your place !! :niceone:

martybabe
14th January 2009, 07:05
Marty, sounds like we'd better have the next KB piss up at your place !! :nice one:

Definitely mate, I'm hoping to sell it soon so it could be the last chance for ginsy winsys in the west wing watching the sun set on the Orca playing in the Tasman.

Disclaimer: The management can not guarantee Gin, Orca, Sunset or Tasman sea. :laugh:

You don't have to wait for a Piss up dude,you're always welcome, nice little run out for you eh.

One for the road
14th January 2009, 07:51
Hope to meet up with both of you for gin and tonics next week then! Sometime around monday. Will be in touch as to who get to be the lucky host. Depends on what time I'm rolling into Taranaki from Raglan area (via off road sections).

Definitely mate, I'm hoping to sell it soon so it could be the last chance for ginsy winsys in the west wing watching the sun set on the Orca playing in the Tasman.

Disclaimer: The management can not guarantee Gin, Orca, Sunset or Tasman sea. :laugh:

You don't have to wait for a Piss up dude,you're always welcome, nice little run out for you eh.

ducatilover
20th January 2009, 08:35
if you pass through eketahuna down the mighty state highway 2 ill be happy to show you the little pub :2thumbsup

Mystery
20th January 2009, 08:49
How about a progress report? Did you conquer the Coro Loop on the mighty XT and where are you now? :scooter:
Kathy

One for the road
22nd January 2009, 08:33
Am just about to go underground at Waitomo caves so will have to be a quickie...

Coro loop was amazing, except for when I was advised that I could join up the metal loops at the very northern tip, by riding the walkway. Got well stuck and took me about 2 hours to get back out of there. Slippery clay badly rutted up by water streaming down it. Made a good video though!

Roads are fantastic. Definitely nede some road biased rubber on teh bike though!

yungatart
22nd January 2009, 08:39
If you are tired of the rain, you'd best be heading to the East Coast, particularly Hawkes Bay....almost a drought here....
Bed available, secure lock up for the bike and beautiful roads.....

wysper
22nd January 2009, 10:56
Am just about to go underground at Waitomo caves so will have to be a quickie...

Coro loop was amazing, except for when I was advised that I could join up the metal loops at the very northern tip, by riding the walkway. Got well stuck and took me about 2 hours to get back out of there. Slippery clay badly rutted up by water streaming down it. Made a good video though!

Roads are fantastic. Definitely nede some road biased rubber on teh bike though!

Sounds like you are already past Hamilton, but there is an airbed, no beer but good whiskey if you need a place in Hamilton. And two alarm clocks (one is 5years old and the other is 18mths old). :niceone:

paulmac
25th January 2009, 17:15
Nick was down here on friday. headed out to wanga republic day on sat and was going to Taupo today. Anyone over taupo/east cape way that can help him PM me and I'll give you his phone number. He's a nice guy and I'd like to thing that us kiwi's are a friendly bunch

helenoftroy
26th January 2009, 20:18
Hiya!!
Plenty of room for you two to stay if you would like accommodation in CHCH:niceone:

ninja250wonab
3rd February 2009, 23:35
hi there nick
Hope you enjoyed your time in the far north I am not shour what you mean with the rain thow north of Kaitaia is all brown apart from those farmers that have good sprikiler's and not on sand country. I would like to catch up with you and have a beer so if you make it this far north let me know msfbali@xtra.co.nz

One for the road
4th February 2009, 08:03
Hey all,

Have been having a fabulous time, and thanks to those of you who have put me up, and offered!

Will be nearing Wanganui today, having ridden a stunning road west out of Napier (can't remember the name), and steadily working it down to Wellington!

I love your country!

ducatilover
4th February 2009, 15:01
hey mate, which way are you going to wellington? i would recommend going through palmerston north and heading over the "pahiatua track" then down state highway two. :2thumbsup

Beemer
4th February 2009, 20:46
He's at our place now, fed and watered, and I told him that was the best way to head to Wellington! Depends on his schedule and ferry booking though. Really nice guy, so make the effort to catch up with him while he's here.

ducatilover
5th February 2009, 12:31
if he could pm on his way down we could catch up :sunny:

Beemer
5th February 2009, 12:49
Sorry, you're about two hours too late - he left our place at about 10am, heading north to PN before heading across the Pahiatua Track and down the Wairarapa to Wellington.

ducatilover
6th February 2009, 12:49
Sorry, you're about two hours too late - he left our place at about 10am, heading north to PN before heading across the Pahiatua Track and down the Wairarapa to Wellington.

bugger! :(

One for the road
20th February 2009, 20:20
Am hiding out from the rain for a few days at my dad's near Nelson, and then Nadine and I will be pressing on south. All going great, and have met only great bikers so far.
Helenoftroy, am going to drop you a line tomo or the next day about coming to see you in Christchurch!

helenoftroy
23rd February 2009, 16:40
Have really enjoyed Nick & Nadines company!They are just lovely!!

ATM they are in Akaroa swimming with the dolphins,will stay here tonight,and are heading down South via the McKenzie country tomorrow.

Its been a pleasure having them to stay....:hug:

Grant`
23rd March 2009, 18:37
So has the trip ended or still underway ?

I really need to get my A into G and consider doing some longer trips around the place.

But if you ever make it up to Tauranga feel free to PM me, more than welcome to have visitors stay at mine.