PDA

View Full Version : What disc pads do you use?

fLaThEaD FreD
10th January 2009, 17:59
My ride is an 800 Vulcan classic,Drum rear with disc front.
Whilst routine cleaning and chain maintenance I noticed front pads are nearing change time. Local bike shop has after market pads which can be ok but I'm not familier with brands.
I'd be keen to know what others use and see what the concensus is......cheers

riffer
10th January 2009, 19:44
Depends on what type of riding you do.

I use Ferodo Platinums, and the majority of my riding is high-speed open road commuting. I commute to work via Haywards Hill, and either Paremata Rd or Grays Rd, then SH1, so 100km/hr and corners.

They work great.

Winston001
10th January 2009, 19:57
I have no expertise in this area at all but I did learn a few days ago that manufacturers tend to put forgiving pads on new bikes. The reason quite simply is to avoid law suits in litigious places such as the USA. They don't want Mr/s new owner to tip over the front bars the first time they give the front brake a good squeeze.

Will be interested to see what others say.

imdying
12th January 2009, 07:26
Peter, if the OEM pads have had stopping power and wear characteristics that appear to be suitable for your riding, you'd be hard pressed to get a better pad than that. There are applications where aftermarket pads are better, aggressive use, environmental conditions, sometimes cost etc, but generally the OEM pads are overall hard to beat.

Blackbird
12th January 2009, 08:30
I always thought that the "OEM" SBS pads I used on the Blackbird were ok until I switched to EBC HH copper sintered pads on the recommendation of 'bird owners on the UK website. What a difference in stopping power!! They're slightly more savage in that less pressure on the lever is required to get the same result, but not worryingly so. They seem pretty progressive too although I haven't had to anchor up in anger. Allegedly, they are kinder to disc rotors than SBS too.

That's my 5 cents worth.