PDA

View Full Version : New Addict (paddy)

paddy
11th January 2009, 10:10
I have been using these forums as an information resource for a few months now and I thought it was about time that I introduced myself. My name (as you might have guessed from my screen name) is Patrick. I am not young, but neither am I old. My Dad used to ride motorbikes back in England when I was a wee-one. He came off one day - a car cut him off and he rode straight into the side of it. Once he had finished flying through the air (and landing), he had shattered one of his forearms. That took a wee while to get better. I guess that has probably fueled my life long feeling that motorcycles were unsafe (or at least an unnecessary risk).

Coming back the present time, I might have made the (little) mistake of watching Long Way Round. Perhaps followed by Race to Dakar. And then maybe even Long Way Down. I always loved the idea of walking to places that you couldn't otherwise get (or using a old Range Rover in a similar manner); however, now I might be a (just a little) obsessed with doing it on two wheels.

Quite a few of the guys I work with ride (indeed one is heavily involved with BRONZ). That combined with a 50 KM daily commute into Auckland City (from the North) made me think that maybe two wheels would be a good method of transport. I forked over the money and sat my BHS (after a short course with RiderSkilz). I paid the AA some more money to provide me with a very large Instant Kiwi. Then I think I paid them some more money for them to mark it. I paid the optomertrist to confirm that my uncorrected vision is 6/4.5. (That's 20/12 in feet - what the heck is wrong with that stupid machine at the AA?)

I've had my learners for a little while and have discovered that road bikes are very expensive. So I did the _other_ thing and bought an old dirt bike. It's a Yamaha TT400 1988. I've given it a good ride and had some fun, but it definitely has some issues. I'm hoping resolving them will help me learn a lot more about bikes.

As an aside, seeing as I am supposed to be introducing myself: I was originally born in England; however, I have been in NZ for about 18 years now. I have two wonderful children. A four year old boy and a three year old girl. I am a trained Paramedic, I have my PADI OpenWater Divers License (which I used only once as my next hobby got rather expensive), and I hold a NZ Private Pilot License. I play a range of musical instruments including guitar, bass, and keys. I also have some operatic training. During the day I work as Senior Systems Consultant (I.T.) for companies such as Telecom, Telstra Clear, Vodaphone, AirNZ...

Well that's about it from me. I have a bunch of "technical" questions, but I will post these in a more appropriate forum.

paulmac
11th January 2009, 10:21
Welcome :niceone:

I'm motarded
11th January 2009, 10:38
Hello and welcome

Buster
11th January 2009, 10:40
Welcome to the site mate. :2thumbsup

sels1
11th January 2009, 10:42
Welcome aboard Paddy. This place can be fun, so long as you dont take it too seriously....and beware of the Trolls

mbxer
11th January 2009, 12:49
Welcome to KB man, Ride on and play on :violin:

fire eyes
11th January 2009, 21:19
wow ... hello Paddy ... geez yourv been a busy lad eh ... welcome to the whanau and congrads on the new wheels :clap:

Skunk Control
12th January 2009, 22:17
Welcome to KB.

klingon
12th January 2009, 22:33
Welcome - you've provided lots of interesting autobiography for folks here to chat about. Hope you stick around.

krasher
26th January 2009, 18:13
I have been using these forums as an information resource for a few months now and I thought it was about time that I introduced myself. My name (as you might have guessed from my screen name) is Patrick. I am not young, but neither am I old. My Dad used to ride motorbikes back in England when I was a wee-one. He came off one day - a car cut him off and he rode straight into the side of it. Once he had finished flying through the air (and landing), he had shattered one of his forearms. That took a wee while to get better. I guess that has probably fueled my life long feeling that motorcycles were unsafe (or at least an unnecessary risk).

Paddy!!!!!!!!!!!! Helloooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I am new too. But not new to you. Hello everybody else. Mini internet reunion happening here.

Hi Squigz and Slyer and Jafawafa. Nice part of the interwebs you have there. I better go post my own thread now and introduce myself.

P.S. Paddy..put up a pic of ur sexy bike!

paddy
26th January 2009, 19:58
P.S. Paddy..put up a pic of ur sexy bike!

It's more like a collection of (large) parts just at the moment...

prettybillie
28th January 2009, 10:26
Welcome to KB.......pictures of large bits of bike are fine :bleh:

portokiwi
28th January 2009, 10:31
:niceone:Welcome mate.... Enjoy

Road Guardian
28th January 2009, 19:57
I've given it a good ride and had some fun, but it definitely has some issues. I'm hoping resolving them will help me learn a lot more about bikes.

I am a trained Paramedic, I have my PADI OpenWater Divers License (which I used only once as my next hobby got rather expensive), and I hold a NZ Private Pilot License. I play a range of musical instruments including guitar, bass, and keys. I also have some operatic training. During the day I work as Senior Systems Consultant (I.T.) for companies such as Telecom, Telstra Clear, Vodaphone, AirNZ...

Well you have taken the first step by purchasing a motorbike, you will learn (if you do the work) quickly how to fix it. And this place is a great resource.

You are a very busy person, with a lot of experience, good to see you are a Paramedic, I take it you used to work for the NHS.