PDA

View Full Version : Airfreight bike - USA

selectedgrub
11th January 2009, 12:28
Dunno if this is the right thread,
Want to fly my ride over to the states for approximately 3weeks.
Any info on who would fly it Air, Auckland to Tennessee.
I do not really wish to ship sea it.
Any info appreciated.

jafar
11th January 2009, 13:17
Dunno if this is the right thread,
Want to fly my ride over to the states for approximately 3weeks.
Any info on who would fly it Air, Auckland to Tennessee.
I do not really wish to ship sea it.
Any info appreciated.

You need to talk to a freight forwarder. I used GO LOGISTICS to bring my bike back from the states last year, try them.
The costs involved in flying your bike to & from the states are hideous, if you are only there for 3 weeks I would seriously doubt it is worth the money.
A better option may be to rent a bike for the 3 weeks that you are there or to buy a bike to use while there & either sell it on departure or ship it home.:msn-wink:

marty
11th January 2009, 14:01
it WILL be cheaper to get a guaranteed buy back from a motorcyle dealer, or even just hire one. for freighting, i reckon you wouldn't get change from US$10000 for return by air for a box weighing above 200kg - and i doubt it would go air from LAX to Tennessee - more like by road .

no-one airfreights direct to Tennessee from AKL, it would be way more trouble/cost than it's worth for a 3 week holiday. Mate of mine has an XB12R in tennessee that he bought on e-bay, and it now lives there in storage - he goes over every year and rides it around - 9000 miles last year :)

i googled bike hire in Tennessee - around $800/week for a Harley is not too bad!

selectedgrub
11th January 2009, 17:48
i googled bike hire in Tennessee - around $800/week for a Harley is not too bad!

Yeah thanks but it was the 3000note deposit that put me off.
I have looked at sea freight but it's the hassle of it all.
Thans for replies

jafar
11th January 2009, 20:56
Yeah thanks but it was the 3000note deposit that put me off.
I have looked at sea freight but it's the hassle of it all.
Thans for replies

How much were you expecting to pay for Airfreight ? The estimate I got to airfreight a bike back was $3500.00 one way, that doesn't include any of the extra's that are put on either. :eek:

Seafreight or Airfreight, the hassles are similar, imho it is not worth the effort for a 3 week tour. If however you do decide to ship you bike over you have all the import regulations & compliance bullshit to get through, also you must have insurance before you can use the bike & that is a minefield all on it's own.

I managed (with the help of some friends) to get bike insurance with PROGRESSIVE. All state insurance did not want to know about insuring a "foreign national"..:doh:

Car rental in the states is quite cheap, mabey that is a better option?:msn-wink::msn-wink:

Snails pace
12th January 2009, 07:01
Must say i had no hassles shipping my bike out late 07. I used ATWF. They were great. I supplied them with reg etc and rode the bike up to the warehouse. On its return i rode it home. May not be the cheapest kids on the block, but no hassles. In LA their agent was just round the corner from the airport. They picked me up and took me to sign some papers, dropped me at a local hotel and next day picked me up and I rode away on my bike. As for bike insurance John Baker insurance were good and easy to deal with.

selectedgrub
13th January 2009, 19:09
How much were you expecting to pay for Airfreight ? The estimate I got to airfreight a bike back was $3500.00 one way, that doesn't include any of the extra's that are put on either. :eek: -wink::msn-wink:

Shit, I was thinking that would do both ways :(

Must say i had no hassles shipping my bike out late 07. I used ATWF. They were great. I supplied them with reg etc and rode the bike up to the warehouse. On its return i rode it home. May not be the cheapest kids on the block, but no hassles. In LA their agent was just round the corner from the airport. They picked me up and took me to sign some papers, dropped me at a local hotel and next day picked me up and I rode away on my bike. As for bike insurance John Baker insurance were good and easy to deal with.

I got a broker looking in to it, how much did that set you back?

White trash
13th January 2009, 19:25
PM me your phone number, I'll give you a price return tomorrow.

Snails pace
15th January 2009, 06:51
Shit, I was thinking that would do both ways :(

I got a broker looking in to it, how much did that set you back?

All up 4k. $700 of that for a crate.

selectedgrub
15th January 2009, 18:00
PM me your phone number, I'll give you a price return tomorrow.

^^ Thanks! PM sent

Cheers, that's around the price I'd be expecting,
The crates no issue.
Thanks people.

Kokopelli
18th January 2009, 21:39

Was that return?

Snails pace
19th January 2009, 05:50
Was that return?

No one way. As usual I didn't get my act together until too late, and so flew it instead of by sea. I shipped it back from south of the border. Flying seems double the price.