PDA

View Full Version : Any mechanics on North Shore that could take a look at my fudged front brake for me?

racefactory
12th January 2009, 18:13
Any mechanics on North Shore (Auckland) that could take a look at my fudged front brake for me please?

Bike is a 1988 GL145.

It's a long story but basically after putting new pads in the caliper it is almost seized to the brake disk... very dangerous (actually I crashed the bike because of it) and is hard to even push, let alone drive. Single piston caliper, seems straight forward but It's beyond me now.

I've learnt that brakes are something I should really get a professional eye to, not to mess about with them. Thought I was the man and could do it all... I need help.

Just need a bit of an examination to pin point what's wrong.

Really appreciate any help,

Cheers,

Todd.

R6_kid
12th January 2009, 21:19
allow some fluid to bleed out... if you put brand new pads in the place of f**ked ones then you've pushed a lot of fluid back up the line. If you dont release the pressure the brake fluid is in a locked system.

Max Preload
12th January 2009, 22:06
Most common problem with brake drag on a single piston caliper setup is seized caliper slides. Disassemble, clean thoroughly & reassemble them with rubber grease, which should be done along with cleaning the caliper and piston with soapy water and a toothbrush and total brake fluid replacement every time you replace pads.

racefactory
13th January 2009, 08:51
Thanks but I've already given it new brake fluid. I can't seem to manage to bleed them properly, not sure what i'm doing wrong. lever doesn't get very firm at all.

I also sanded down the caliper slides and lubricated them.

This is seriously beyond me, I need help for sure....

vifferman
13th January 2009, 09:17
The piston is almost certainly jammed in the caliper. You will need to take the caliper off and check that out. See my PM.