PDA

View Full Version : East Coast Wairarapa ride (Sun 18 Jan)

junkmanjoe
12th January 2009, 19:08
Hi all
I have been sorting out a ride through public and private farm roads.
ride will be 60% to 70% gravel. 10%grass 30% seal
will start my house, in masterton. aprox 9:30am
travel to Tinui valley, up in to heads of Te mai road, turn on to private road ( pack sper road ) down to mataikona coast road, i have arranged access across farm land off Te mai road.
from mataikona coast road over to castlepoint station.
yet to be given access across private road, to otahome road. possably over to riversdale and through homewood road, on to foresty roads to Te wharau, and home.
will have great sea and cost views, very neat roads,
just looking if any body interested, as will need numbers.
feel free to look up or google earth these places.
will keep posted on last station access,if no go there, it will still be a great ride.
ride will take place on sunday 18th jan.
it will be possable to take this ride again at a latter date.

thanks.

bart
12th January 2009, 21:02
I'm keen. May have used up all my browny points with wifey though. Let you know later in the week.

junkmanjoe
12th January 2009, 21:06
twist here arm mate, takes a lot of ph calls to get in to some of these places.
still trying to get hold of castle point station.
keep in touch.

MXNUT
13th January 2009, 07:22
........... takes a lot of ph calls to get in to some of these places.

DUDE , not enough notice 5 days out. :bash:

Would have loved to join in the party but booked for the next few weeks.
If the route turns out to be a good un ( sure sounds like it should ) a re run later on would get me there for sure :bye:

Eddieb
13th January 2009, 08:27

If the route turns out to be a good un ( sure sounds like it should ) a re run later on would get me there for sure :bye:

Same deal here, sounds good but need more lead time to secure dates.

junkmanjoe
13th January 2009, 16:19

for sure , will be run again, (pack sper road) it was put in around the 1960,s so we not sure what its going to be like.
i will be taking pics, and yes i understand its not much notice, my new bike arrives on saturday, so i just got to use it.....

junkmanjoe
13th January 2009, 16:22
Same deal here, sounds good but need more lead time to secure dates.

yea sorry about short notice, have cut a good deal with the farmer, and we will be able to access the private road again.

just have to test out my new bike, cant be falling of in front of everybody now can we......
it will come up again and hopefully i can make it a longer trip.

junkmanjoe
13th January 2009, 18:08
Good news.
castlepoint station access has been given.
this ride has just been doubled in length. aprox 260kms
all they ask is to respect the land and shut the gates.
cant ask for more than that.
there is fuel avalible at castlepoint store.
thats about half way in to trip.
hope some of you guys and gals can tag along.

bart
14th January 2009, 10:01
I'm in.

COME ON GUYS, there must be a few others interested. This is a piece of countryside most people never get to see.

Aslan
14th January 2009, 10:18
sorry guys - I'm committed to time with wifey myself this weekend - tis a long weekend in our Province - am keen like others to do this in the future though - have fun :niceone:

Balrog
14th January 2009, 12:25
I can't make it either, I've got a couple of broken spokes on the rear wheel. :Oops:
Otherwise I'd have been a starter

Have a great ride, lots of pics please :)

marks
14th January 2009, 16:00
I'm in.

COME ON GUYS, there must be a few others interested. This is a piece of countryside most people never get to see.

will do my best to get there - fecking early start for me (at least 2 hrs to Masterton)

Joe can you PM you home address to me please

will confirm Sat evening

junkmanjoe
14th January 2009, 18:08
for any riders who would like to take this ride in near future.

rattle of a few dates for whos avalable and whos keen for a good day out.
day can finish off with a barby and few beers, at my place,
( my shout )
if any ones keen, we can work around other rides, shoot away.

thanks for your time.

Frodo
14th January 2009, 19:47
Is this doable on road biased tyres (E-08s - like Tourances)?

junkmanjoe
14th January 2009, 21:17
hi there is one hill section, possably lose dirt, gravel and grass.
its only a short road, but im not sure how step it is.
pack spur road. do a google earth on it if you like, ground conditions around at the moment are dry, as long as your tires have some sort of nobbys on them for grip.
all other roads, gravel and seal, and will be easy going.
cheers for interest.

junkmanjoe
14th January 2009, 21:51
Hi all
I have been sorting out a ride through public and private farm roads.
ride will be 60% to 70% gravel. 10%grass 30% seal
will start my house, in masterton. aprox 9:30am
travel to Tinui valley, up in to heads of Te mai road, turn on to private road ( pack sper road ) down to mataikona coast road, i have arranged access across farm land off Te mai road.
from mataikona coast road over to castlepoint station.
yet to be given access across private road, to otahome road. possably over to riversdale and through homewood road, on to foresty roads to Te wharau, and home.
will have great sea and cost views, very neat roads,
just looking if any body interested, as will need numbers.
feel free to look up or google earth these places.
will keep posted on last station access,if no go there, it will still be a great ride.
ride will take place on sunday 18th jan.
it will be possable to take this ride again at a latter date.

thanks.

we can move start time to around 10am if this suits any interested partys, we are here to ride and have a good day.

andy mac
14th January 2009, 22:21
Hi Joe I have already made plans for this weekend, but they are weather dependent. If there's too much wind I can join you. Will confirm on Saturday.

junkmanjoe
14th January 2009, 22:43
sweet that be great, hope to see you.

Frodo
15th January 2009, 17:52
Joe

I'm the opposite to andy. The forecast is for a windy weekend so I'll be out windsurfing. But definitely interested in the future. I appreciate the work you've done to organise this.

junkmanjoe
15th January 2009, 19:01
now that sound like a good wet time.

if theres enough intrest the ride will be run again,
for riders who cant make it, i will post some pics and let riders know where the tricky bits are if any.

thanks for intrest

andy mac
16th January 2009, 08:02
The forecast is northerly 40 knots in Cook Strait so very likely the yacht race to Nelson will be postponed. I' m waiting for official annoucements. Good news is Frodo can go windsurfing or wave jumping.

junkmanjoe
16th January 2009, 10:44
so if its windy then you can come rideing....

andy mac
16th January 2009, 13:05
Yes, because there is a gale warning the yacht race will probably be postponed on Friday night and the final decision will be made on Saturday. I'm guessing I will be riding not sailing.

My mate Peter who has a Triumph Tiger also wants to do the ride. He's out of town today but he will check out this thread tonight.

junkmanjoe
16th January 2009, 15:57
Oh sweet sound like we have a nice little party coming togeather.

now, every one keen on coming along on sunday.
im leaving at 2am in morning (sat) to go and pick up my new bike, i will be back in masterton hopefully around 4-4 30pm,
the things we do for freedom.
please ask if you need to be PM for start address and my contact details
your all welcome.
nothing better than bugs in ya teeth and dirt on ya face....

andy mac
16th January 2009, 19:00
Now I'm definitely coming for the ride. Hopefully the rain will be over early Sunday morning.

Shall we meet you at 10 at Faulkners petrol station between town & the hospital?

Mark if you go, do you want to meet earlier at Rimutex Upper Hutt at 8:45?

junkmanjoe
17th January 2009, 01:11
ok sounds great. a good landmark to meet up at.
well im off now as its 2 in the morn....:zzzz:
hope your mate comes along as well.
if you need any more details let me know.

marks
17th January 2009, 15:14
sorry guys

judging by the reception I just got when I arrived home from having fun all day - I suspect if I go tomorrow I'll get a KLR enema when I get home tomorrow night.

Have fun - take heaps of photos

Really keen to do this ride another time.

cheers

Mark

junkmanjoe
18th January 2009, 07:00
thats ok im happy to set up ride again at a later date.
if you chaps like to check your calanders for possable date, that fit in let us know,

junkmanjoe
18th January 2009, 16:55
Well we went we rode and we enjoyed.
Day starter a little grey, weather wise, but mr sunshine came through for us. Fantasic.
Thanks to the riders for coming along Bart and Andy.
A few pics to tell the tale, great coast views, and a mixture of roads, twisty and loose grave made some interesting riding, a bit of soft sand, came close to claiming myself..
Overall enjoyable ride suitable for any size adventure bike.

I will arrange this ride again, at the end of Febuary if interested throw some dates if you are available and would like to join in.
Thanks to kiwibiker for intorducing me to new friends.

marks
18th January 2009, 17:06
brilliant photos

it was pissing down here all morning

are you happy with the DR?

junkmanjoe
18th January 2009, 17:10
yes bike went better than i expected.
is a little long in the gearing so may to look at this, ride was 230km and halfway i put in $6.75c fuel at castlepoint store, over all spent my money well.
thanks for asking.
hope to see you next time.

bart
18th January 2009, 21:49
Thanks for sorting out this awesome ride Joe, and thanks Andy for coming along. I really enjoyed it. :niceone:

We covered a lot of different terrain and road surfaces, and were very lucky with the weather. Spectacular coastal views. Only one minor hiccup eh Andy.:msn-wink:

Here's a few photos in no particular order.

bart
18th January 2009, 21:53
Some more............

bart
18th January 2009, 21:55
Count me in for next time

andy mac
18th January 2009, 22:11
:2thumbsup Thanks Joe for organising this ride, I particularly enjoyed Pack Spur Rd despite my laydown. It's definitely summer in the rapa as I am still blinking bart's & your dust. 440km round trip from Wellington.

Cheers Andy

andy mac
18th January 2009, 22:20
And some more.

junkmanjoe
18th January 2009, 22:28
cheers chaps your welcome over here anytime.
bring freinds next time.

il be passing on thanks to the farmers for track access.
thanks again.

see everyone look what you missed out on.......

Frodo
19th January 2009, 07:11
Count me in next time!

Paladin
19th January 2009, 08:26
cheers chaps your welcome over here anytime.
bring freinds next time.

il be passing on thanks to the farmers for track access.
thanks again.

see everyone look what you missed out on.......

Nice one Joe, looks like an awesome day out! Am well gutted I couldn't come and sure hope I can make it next time!

junkmanjoe
19th January 2009, 09:23
hi all i have phoned and passed on my thanks, and have also penciled in a ride for tail end of next month (feb).
farmers are happy with this..

all good..

MXNUT
19th January 2009, 12:20
hi all i have phoned and passed on my thanks, and have also penciled in a ride for tail end of next month (feb).
farmers are happy with this..

all good..

My 2 cents .................

Wellington / Wairarapa coast ride already organized for 15 feb but would be keen to do this ride early March around 7-8th. :whistle:

Eddieb
19th January 2009, 13:40
I think there might already be one organised for March 7th & 8th.

junkmanjoe
19th January 2009, 14:21
thanks be good to fit it in while the weather is good.
keep the dates rolling in we can work something out, im off for a ride now to check out a new loop track through forest track, may be able to join this up with the east coast ride.
will see what i find.......
follow the front wheel un less its heading off the road, aye andy......... wooops...... bloody cattle stops...........

andy mac
19th January 2009, 17:48
Score - Andy 1.5, Bart 0, Joe 0. Did I win? :laugh::laugh:
Doesn't what happen off road stay off line?

Joe are you aware there is a Wairarapa Farm Location Map that shows roads & farmers names? I have a 2002 edition you can have or you can get the latest edition from Dennis 027 227 5010, Arcadia Marketing, PO Box 116 Opotiki.

bart
19th January 2009, 18:41
Score - Andy 1.5, Bart 0, Joe 0. Did I win? :laugh::laugh:
Doesn't what happen off road stay off line?

Joe are you aware there is a Wairarapa Farm Location Map that shows roads & farmers names? I have a 2002 edition you can have or you can get the latest edition from Dennis 027 227 5010, Arcadia Marketing, PO Box 116 Opotiki.

Yes, you win. I think with the loose gravel (ball bearings) on a few of those roads, and the slick tyres you guys were running, you both did bloody well to stay upright.

I have the Tararua farm location map, and find it very useful. These are great for finding little back roads. I think they're issued free to farmers.

junkmanjoe
19th January 2009, 18:46
hi andy cheers for that, i went out to naghapi rd to find the locked gate, so i could get the forsty gate code.
this will make it easy for me to ask for key, so we can access the fernglen road. its quite high up in there, and it was pissing down but fine back in town.
you be keen on that one im sure.

keep in touch.

Aslan
19th January 2009, 20:44
looks like you guys had a fun ride - hope to be able to join you on the next running of this event - cheers Aslan :soon:

junkmanjoe
19th January 2009, 22:29
for sure, im working on a couple other rides as well.

keep you posted.