PDA

View Full Version : Blast from the past.

Magua
13th January 2009, 10:27
I aquired my first project bike last night, a 1974 cb200. It came with a wealth of spare parts, a road test magazine from 1974 and an ever helpful Haynes repair manual. It's had a top end rebuild, overbore, pistons, camchain and tensioner, fired it up last night despite the dead solenoid and it chirped nicely on one cylinder (need to get in there and do some cleaning).

Now that it's mine I'll probably stick to sanding, painting and polishing for the time being whilst I work on my main bike (possible camchain and tensioner) as it will need re-vinning.

While most people seem to aquire newer bikes, I've gone back in time a further six years. :D

Sully60
13th January 2009, 10:38
Score!

Are the clutch and alternator screwed?

I've only seen one that didn't have both these problems.

Indiana_Jones
13th January 2009, 17:30
Damn dirty Honda's

You'll have to show me next time I pop over :niceone:

-Indy

Magua
14th January 2009, 17:16
Steel wool and polish are great.
(That isn't actually a before and after shot, but it was in a similar state).

xwhatsit
14th January 2009, 17:42
Nice! Get it sorted and it'll probably be a good deal faster than your 400!

Magua
14th January 2009, 17:43
Nice! Get it sorted and it'll probably be a good deal faster than your 400!

Haha, sure. 17 hp at 9,000rpm :O

Magua
10th June 2009, 15:06
fired it up last night despite the dead solenoid and it chirped nicely on one cylinder (need to get in there and do some cleaning).

Some cleaning was an understatement, the carbs were filthy. I've given them a rudimentary clean, but not too thorough. Will do a more concise job when I get some new floats etc. The carbs are a breeze to remove, and they seperate by removing nothing but a split pin and a washer, brilliant.

Now to tackle the wiring.

Taz
10th June 2009, 15:50
These truly are a beautiful sounding motorcycle..... Go good too.

Indiana_Jones
17th June 2009, 12:20
When we gonna have a push with the old girl mate?

I wanna hear her go!

-Indy

Magua
20th June 2009, 15:56
Well Indy and I got it running with no airfilters or exhaust, pop pop pop pop pop. It ran on both cylinders this time too, perhaps thanks to the carb clean.

Replaced the starter solenoid beforehand. There's one wire that's confusing me, it runs from the postive terminal of the battery to the coil (I think it's the coil, I'll check later). There's no battery in it atm, we were getting it going with the kick starter.

The cycleworks exhaust for it doesn't fit, the header pipes are too close together to fit into the exhaust ports. Could I get it uh, get it beaten into shape, or does anyone want to buy a cycleworks exhaust from me? :)

Indiana_Jones
20th June 2009, 17:32
she be a beast of pure Honda Powah! lol

-Indy

elevenhundred
20th June 2009, 20:42
So Honda City were putting stickers on front mudguards even back then.
It used to annoy me, I'd pull up to have a look around the shop and when I come out there'd be a sticker on my bike, must've peeled off about half a dozen in total :)

Ixion
20th June 2009, 20:59
The cycleworks exhaust for it doesn't fit, the header pipes are too close together to fit into the exhaust ports. Could I get it uh, get it beaten into shape, or does anyone want to buy a cycleworks exhaust from me? :)

How far out are they?

Beating (or heating and yanking) doesn't work so well on siamesed pipe, because it upsets the angle that the header goes inot the port at.

But we could cut the left hand pipe where it joins up , put the pipes on , and weld it back in the right place. Got to be careful though, I've done this and then discovered that I couldn't get the pipes off again, because of the angle of the ports

speedpro
21st June 2009, 13:46

I had a pipe made for a 200 when I was in Perth. It looked just like that one and it was a bitch to get on and off. You might just need a little more wriggling, straining, and looking at it from a different angle.

AllanB
21st June 2009, 13:50
Good score I'm a bit green, I'd be very happy with that. :2thumbsup

My very first bike was a red CB200 - nice wee machines - they even sound cool with rowdy megaphones :whistle:

craisin
21st June 2009, 15:01
I got a pipe simular to that but one of the pipes has a slip joint on it:argh:

Dont know what it off just came with some stuff i swapped

mmm what do I need

Magua
25th November 2010, 11:30
Been a while since I've updated this thread.

After getting the bike running I tore it down and transported it to a flat, back home and to a new flat. Somewhere in between I had the bike powdercoated. Great job by Arkro powder coaters on Archers Rd, Glenfield.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/Maguanz/cb200/2.jpg

Ordered a new front rim and spokes. Cleaned up the front drum and laced up the wheel. Looking very nice.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/Maguanz/cb200/1-1.jpg

Had a lengthy wait on finding some swingarm pivot bolts. In the end I had some manufactured by my flatmate, Motorbyclist.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/Maguanz/7.jpg

After that delay I got into procrastination mode and bought a new project, an rs125. With the rs good to go and now on trademe, I thought it was time I got back into the ol' cb. So first things first, why not buy another one? :) I couldn't pass this up for $100.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/Maguanz/cb200/6.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/Maguanz/cb200/3.jpg

That will mostly act as a donor (and a guide for wiring), but it may one day end up on the road, too.

I'll try to remember to keep this thread updated as I continue with my restoration.