PDA

View Full Version : What gear for Motarding?

barryr1
13th January 2009, 20:11
Hi guys,

Since selling my R1 I have had a 450 quad but now going for a WR450 Supermoto, try and keep the speed down and fun up.

I will be doing mostly street use at first but want to try a few track days etc, I have off road gear for quad anyway so will have that for trails......

Do I need leather stuff for track days? I wouldn't mind a leather jacket but don't want a full suit again....... :scooter:

What do you all use?
Thanks,
Barry.

Quasievil
13th January 2009, 20:13
A One piece is what I use, racing or Trackdays. You will need to add some leather pants to your jacket and you will be sweet.
I think the trackday organisers will require leather or at least Cordura, but good luck crashing in that stuff.

SeppoDave
13th January 2009, 20:28
I use a two-piece leather suit that zips together, but I reckon a one piece would be more comfortable.

MotoTT allows any riding gear "to an approved standard". I've seen guys with cordura suits, which are pretty good if it rains.

White trash
13th January 2009, 21:03
I'd start with a crash helmet. Definitely. From there, I'd consider boots and gloves. Then, if the budget allowed, I'd look very closely at leathers. QMotowould be my very first choice.

But get a helmet.

Quasievil
13th January 2009, 21:10
I'd start with a crash helmet. Definitely. From there, I'd consider boots and gloves. Then, if the budget allowed, I'd look very closely at leathers. QMotowould be my very first choice.

But get a helmet.

Speaking of which when you racing again buddy, got your suit here still.

AlBundy
14th January 2009, 00:13
On any ride other than commuting, I wear full leathers on either of my bikes...

For commuting, I still wear a decent jacket with boots covering ankles and good gloves.

I'll occasionally go out for an impropmtu joyride but it won't be at the pace with leathers on...

Everyone has different opinions on gear and it's use. But as said above, for track days, it'll have to have armour and up to a standard...

GaZBur
14th January 2009, 06:49
Get a one piece suit if you intend to race as it is a MNZ requirement. Make sure you can comfortably fit a back protector under it. I see you are in Otago, get to the OMMC and enter the clubmans series due to start again soon - your bike is ideal and we start racing at the Kart track again soon as well. There are a lot of us here riding Motards and its fun and you don't need to be too serious to enjoy it.
A two piece is ok at track days, even a synthetic jacket and pants if you are in the slower class at the Have A Go day but believe me - once you have had a track day on a motard you won't be able to resist going racing.

barryr1
15th January 2009, 20:42
Thanks guys.

I have always had Alpinestars 2 piece suits when running road bikes but for commuting I want something a bit easier. I agree if racing or hooning around I will want a suit of some sort, but I don't want to go buy a brand new AStars suit because I am sure I will fall off at some point on track hahaha :soon:

Gazbur, As soon as it arrives and is ready I will join up, that's why I am getting rid of quad, not enough to do with it :doh: