PDA

View Full Version : Regulator/Rectifier

powerband
14th January 2009, 15:59
Anyone know where I can pick up a reasonably priced Regulator /Rectifier for a 1998 suzuki TL1000R ?

hmmmnz
14th January 2009, 20:30
its easy enough, to make any reg/rec work,

powerband
14th January 2009, 22:30
How do you do that then

The Lone Rider
14th January 2009, 23:02
www.regulatorrectifier.com

When their website actually works should have what you need.

Dealerships will charge you a lot for one - $500 something for a Honda brand one for my bike compared to $200 something off that website for one they say is better quality then the stock Honda one.

DO NOT BUY FROM BUDGET MOTORCYCLES. I bought one from them that they claimed would work on my bike. Simple right? Change the plugs over to the new reg and bolt it on. I even used a multimeter to check the resistances and it checked out ok. Fired up the bike.. nope.. started to overcharge and fry my batter. Test reg again - was completely rooted. Went to take it back to Budget.. they refused a refund claiming they have no memory of even telling me to use that reg on my bike.

hmmmnz
14th January 2009, 23:56
bloody hell $200 foook you could make one from scratch for 1/4 that price,
but just go on trade me and buy a reg/rec from another bike,
you just need one with 5 wires, 3phases from the alternator and then the 12v+ and 12v- out
some thing like this
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-for-sale/Electrics/auction-197689143.htm
or
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-for-sale/Electrics/auction-197689726.htm

then put bullet connectors on

or buy one from the uk for 18quid and get it sent over
http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/SUZUKI-TL1000-TL-1000-R-TL1000R-REGULATOR-RECTIFIER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ260320589340

if you want the one from the uk, and dont have pay pal, let me know, i still have a uk bank account
so i could get it and you pay me for it

powerband
15th January 2009, 07:21
Cheers mate, have allready looked on that site, couldn't get my credit card details to work, will try again.

powerband
15th January 2009, 07:31
Mate, my bike has a generator not an alternator and has 8 wires coming from it, just had to stop myself from conecting up a Regulator with the correct wiring, when I read on the information sheet that came with it, that it suits only 3-phase Brushless Alternators.

vifferman
15th January 2009, 07:40
Dealerships will charge you a lot for one - $500 something for a Honda brand one for my bike compared to $200 something off that website for one they say is better quality then the stock Honda one..
Rofl, and like that there...
Honda DO NOT make R/Rs - they make motorcycles. Their "Honda branded ones" are supplied to them by Shindengen, who make R/Rs for all sorts of motorcycles. They retail for around $300.
You are right though - if you buy a "genuine" OEM (Honda, Suzuki, Ducati, etc.) i.e., Shindengen R/R from your dealer, you will pay more than buying the generic "aftermarket" one (same item, in most cases) from a dealer. Some of the dealers will offer you a guarantee on the "OEM" item, but only if THEY fit it (and charge you the labour for doing it).

vifferman
15th January 2009, 07:46
Mate, my bike has a generator not an alternator and has 8 wires coming from it, just had to stop myself from conecting up a Regulator with the correct wiring, when I read on the information sheet that came with it, that it suits only 3-phase Brushless Alternators.
That sounds whack - a 1998 TLR? Surely it has an R/R then. Almost all bikes since.... ooohh... the '80s? (earlier?) have 3-phase brushless alternators (permanent magnets and 3 coils). Wiring coming from these is generally 3 yellow wires (one for each coil), and the R/R has connections to these, plus 1 or two positives (usually red), one or two earths (usually green, sometimes black), and one 'monitor' wire of any colour, which conects to any +ve wire in the loom, to monitor 'ambient' voltage.
What's that add up to...lessee...8.
Eight!

powerband
15th January 2009, 10:46
The workshop manual says it has a generator not an altinator, theres a difference isn't there ?. the R/R has three yellow, two green ,two red, and one smaller black wire.

F5 Dave
15th January 2009, 16:52
Yes there is a difference. But unless you have a 60's Mini or perhaps a 70s RD200 electric which did have a generator (could use it in reverse as an electric starter), then you will have an alternator. No question. Slang is often wrong even in common language, like CDI is often incorrect.

Squiggles
15th January 2009, 18:09
Get a good second hand one from www.tlzone.net or www.tlplanet.com

hmmmnz
15th January 2009, 18:13
yours has 8 wires because the output is doubled up
2 x 12v+ 2x12v- if you look at a diagram they both go to the same place,
twist the wires together and put them into a single crimp

do you want a diagram of your bike???

offer still stands if you want me to buy the one from the uk for you

speedpro
26th January 2009, 15:20