PDA

View Full Version : Motard tyres. Suggestions?

barryr1
16th January 2009, 20:51
Building up my WR450 Motard soon and was wondering on tyre choices.

I want 160 60 17 rears and 120 70 17 fronts.

On my R1's I always ran Michelin Pilot Powers, but as it's a totally different style of bike are there any recommendations?

I had a shot of a VFR400 years ago with Bridgestone Bt-010's and it was great.

Will be mainly street riding but going to try and attend some track days. :2thumbsup

Hitcher
16th January 2009, 21:23
Dunlop Qualifiers. They seem to do the business pretty well on my Shiver.

Devil
17th January 2009, 07:59
I've got the new Bridgestone BT-016's on my KTM in the same size you're after. They're fantastic. Wearing very well, holding their shape well and stick like shit to a blanket.
I do understand the Qualifiers are good too, just haven't had any personal experience with them.

The KTM came with OEM BT090's, but while they're apparently a great tyre, I just didn't get used to them.

barryr1
17th January 2009, 13:48
I've got the new Bridgestone BT-016's on my KTM in the same size you're after. They're fantastic. Wearing very well, holding their shape well and stick like shit to a blanket.
I do understand the Qualifiers are good too, just haven't had any personal experience with them.

The KTM came with OEM BT090's, but while they're apparently a great tyre, I just didn't get used to them.

Think I might try the Bridgestones, as said above I loved the feel of the ones i tried before.

Will go and search out a deal........ :2thumbsup

AlBundy
17th January 2009, 15:54
It has been noted on several forums, the OEM versions of a tyres aren't exactly the same as one gets over the counter. Usually aftermarket ones are better for some reason...

So, that said, the BT 090 is Bridgestones version of a lightweight tyre, similar to what Dunlops A-10 is... Well, that's my understanding anyway...

I don't have issues with the Bt 090 as such but haven't had anything else on to see otherwise...

A mate races a KTM 525 EXC on Pirelli Super Corsa and loves 'em...

I like Pirelli, had them on several road bikes...

barryr1
17th January 2009, 20:56
It has been noted on several forums, the OEM versions of a tyres aren't exactly the same as one gets over the counter. Usually aftermarket ones are better for some reason...

So, that said, the BT 090 is Bridgestones version of a lightweight tyre, similar to what Dunlops A-10 is... Well, that's my understanding anyway...

I don't have issues with the Bt 090 as such but haven't had anything else on to see otherwise...

A mate races a KTM 525 EXC on Pirelli Super Corsa and loves 'em...

I like Pirelli, had them on several road bikes...

A friend used to run Super Corsas on his 998 when I was in Scotland and he always raved about them, only had a shot once though so couldn't get a good judge.

Will get some prices on different stuff and work out what seems best value I think.

Southmotian
18th January 2009, 15:27
I use a Continental Race Attack front and Sport Attack rear. That's been a great combination for me. You can normally pick conti's up for slightly less than the other big brands too.

Asking for advice on tyres can be a bit of a :zzzz: since everyone has "their" brand and most people don't use tyres to their full potential anyway, wisely so on the street. I'll put my 2c in for these though (street and casual track).

Quasievil
18th January 2009, 15:44
I race a Motard 525smr on track as well as street circuits, I have used the Pirrelli super corsas slicks and after a great deal of study and investigation as well as consultation with the relevant companies (and yes it was a process) I now race and LOVE the continental Race Attack Streets, I have absolutely no issues with them they are predicatable and very confidence inspiring they also wear very very well.
Go to these and I guarantee you will not have an issue.

Tony.OK
18th January 2009, 16:36
I have some cheap hardly used fronts if you want to try without buying new..............they're Conti Race Attack Comps Mediums.
Look here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=90583)

AlBundy
18th January 2009, 20:03
I race a Motard 525smr on track as well as street circuits, I have used the Pirrelli super corsas slicks and after a great deal of study and investigation as well as consultation with the relevant companies (and yes it was a process) I now race and LOVE the continental Race Attack Streets, I have absolutely no issues with them they are predicatable and very confidence inspiring they also wear very very well.
Go to these and I guarantee you will not have an issue.

I have some cheap hardly used fronts if you want to try without buying new..............they're Conti Race Attack Comps Mediums.
Look here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=90583)

Mmmmm, may have to try a set of Contis when it gets time for new tyres...

testastretta
25th January 2009, 09:09
I have the same size tyres on my XT660X and am currently using Michelin Pilot Road 2 which I have found very good,not as sticky as the Pirelli Dragons it came with but as good as the Pirelli Diablo's I used next and definately better mileage.
If you plan on getting on some loose stuff the Avon Distanzias are supposed to be very good.

Mikkel
29th January 2009, 17:04
I've heard a lot of good things about the Pirelli Supermotard tyres. Haven't tried them myself yet, but planning on getting a set when my current Michelins wear out.

They have a much rougher thread as well, so they ought to be better in gravel too. So I suppose if it's for normal racetrack use they won't be the best you can get.

Image of there here (http://www.pirellityre.com/en_IT/browser/attachments/images/MOTO%20catalog_long/img_mt60corsa.jpg).

AlBundy
29th January 2009, 17:11
Devil had some MT60's on his (I think). Maybe he'll compare them to the 016's...

Hitcher
29th January 2009, 21:40
Never buy tyres from a manufacturer that doesn't have a proper online fitment guide or a complete and current listing of makes and models.

CHOPPA
2nd February 2009, 16:53
If its a track bike then Dunlop are the best, period!

Devil
3rd February 2009, 09:52
Yep, had the MT60 Corsas. They were pretty good, much more grip on wet dirt and grass than a sports tyre (funny that!). Front lasted well, but only got about 4,000km out of the rear.
Certainly not a track tyre, but if you want to go exploring, I can recommend them. Over summer when it's dry however, i'm fine on gravel with the BT016's.

Sam I Am
4th February 2009, 19:39
On my XR650r i now use michelin pilot power's ther great, I was running Pirrelli super corsas sc2's but found my bike wasen't getting them warm enough (unless on a track) The pilot power's are readdy to go and stick quite well from cold ( yes i use my bike on the road a lot, and seem a lot better in the wet. ther seem to last quite well.
just my 2cents worth..

GaZBur
10th February 2009, 22:58
Are you 100% sure you can fit a 160 on the back? Most guys with 160's I see end up chewing the tyre edge with the chain, modifying the chainguard and having hassles. Talk to scorrie - he will know what will fit. My bike is heavier and I am opting for a 110/70-17 front and 150/60-17 rear. Mark has just changed to Dunlop GPRa10's and his cornering instantly improved big time, getting a set myself now. Lot of guys down south seem to like Metzler M3's though. Make sure you ready soon as the OMCC track day at levels is 4th April and Motards at the kart track starting up again soon.

Crazy Steve
10th February 2009, 23:39
Building up my WR450 Motard soon and was wondering on tyre choices.

I want 160 60 17 rears and 120 70 17 fronts.

On my R1's I always ran Michelin Pilot Powers, but as it's a totally different style of bike are there any recommendations?

I had a shot of a VFR400 years ago with Bridgestone Bt-010's and it was great.

Will be mainly street riding but going to try and attend some track days. :2thumbsup

Shinko 005 Advance...120/70/17 front and 160/60/17 rear...

Shouldnt be anymore than $380 for the pair fitted and balanced....:laugh:

Crazy Steve..

kezzafish
11th February 2009, 08:23

Crazy Steve..

yeah +1 for those, i've run a rear of that tyre and it was sweet. I wouldn't put one on the front but only for my minds sake, would probably be fine too

Quasievil
11th February 2009, 08:26
Re space for a 160, some of you might be interested in what I did, see my thread under Motards call "Quasi KTM mods" (or something like that, check out the spacer I got made up, now I have no problems

Devil
11th February 2009, 11:46
The other fix to the KTM's chain/tyre clearance issue is to use Dunlop slicks. Which have a rounded edge instead of the sharp one. But of course that doesn't work if you want a road tyre! Not sure if Dunlop do a road tyre in a similar shape.

scorry
11th February 2009, 11:55
im running metzeler racetec drift slicks on my 525, got a 160 on the back and it has got about 5-10mm clearance on either side.

i can highly recommend these tyres, massive amounts of grip and even work in the wet, haha funny story, it started raining half way through my first race on these tyres and i thought oh shite, slicks n rain dont like each other, but managed to ride round a few road bikes who were having massive grip issues and finished 2nd.

i think you should be ok running a 160 on the WR, my old WR had heaps of room when i had a 140 on it. but then again it was on a 3.5 inch rim.

good luck mate, hope to see ya out there soon

barryr1
11th February 2009, 16:25
Hey guys, managed to bag a set of wheels today off Trademe, including brakes and all so just need to put my engine together now and then I can start practicing. No idea how I will get on.

Have a chain guide coming from Oz that should keep the chain away from the tyre, but loads use the 160 rear on a WR so that was just a bit of overkill for peace of mind.

Where do the boys from Dunnas get their tyres?

barryr1
11th February 2009, 16:44
Anyone used Dunlop Sportmax GP's?

Read some good reports on them from UK?

scorry
12th February 2009, 07:12
Anyone used Dunlop Sportmax GP's?

Read some good reports on them from UK?

yeah ive got 2 mates with these and now possibly GazBur as well, good tyres with lots of grip & they used them in the wet ok also.

oh and we usually go and see rick at MCR for our tyres, unless you want slicks, then ill give you another guys number ssshhhh lol

barryr1
12th February 2009, 16:43
No slicks no, bike will be road use mostly probably and some trackdays to start with, need to re-set my mind from Quads and R1's hahaha.

Think I am going to try some Sportmax's first. Cheers.

TK3
11th March 2009, 13:49

Crazy Steve..

Holy!!! I wouldn't go the Shinko way:nono: I have used them and took them off after one race, they were poo's.. Sorry Adrian:rolleyes: They are to hard and they have very high steep shoulders that drop you into a corner, I lost the front twice in the warm up session and have never looked back, I run Pirelli Supermoto slicks now with a SC0 front and a SC1 rear:2thumbsup

Quasievil
11th March 2009, 14:10
I run Pirelli Supermoto slicks now with a SC0 front and a SC1 rear:2thumbsup

Thinking Im going to Drifts bro, I heard its hard for the front pirrelli to get heat into it with such little weight, or so a few of the top guys tell me anyway. I got a shed full of pirellis to lol

TK3
11th March 2009, 14:20
Thinking Im going to Drifts bro, I heard its hard for the front pirrelli to get heat into it with such little weight, or so a few of the top guys tell me anyway. I got a shed full of pirellis to lol

How much you been priced to get them?? I bet I can beat it!!:devil2:

Quasievil
11th March 2009, 14:31
How much you been priced to get them?? I bet I can beat it!!:devil2:

Dont have a price yet, was going to today but didt get around to it

wot ya got ......spoil me.

oh and race suits eh wots the goss !!

TK3
11th March 2009, 14:38
Tomorrow he is coming down to see me tomorrow so fingers crossed.
:scooter:

Devil
12th March 2009, 08:46

I wouldn't be surprised. My KTM is of course at the porky end of things for a motard and the (second hand!) Pirelli superbike slick front (SC1) looked fresh as a daisy after the last trackday. Although, not such a bad thing. Super stable and no slides. Maybe it's just that awesome WP suspension :D

Mikkel
12th March 2009, 10:11
Must say I am growing to like my Pirelli MT60Rs. Not really a track tyre, but slightly less grip on tarmac can be a lot of fun at times :D As can slightly more grip on the rough stuff.

Feels very different from the Michellin Pilot Power/Sport I ran before.

Devil
12th March 2009, 10:25
You really notice the difference with the MT60's when you get onto grass or damp clay.

Have taken mine on a 4wd track with the MT60's and it was good fun!

Mikkel
13th March 2009, 09:59
You really notice the difference with the MT60's when you get onto grass or damp clay.

Have taken mine on a 4wd track with the MT60's and it was good fun!

I believe that, although I still have to take it out on the shingle avenues of Banks Peninsula.

The front was much more reluctant to let go when I pulled over onto the grassy verge and deliberately tried to lock the front up. Likewise, it wasn't quite as quick to spin up the rear taking of from the grass as well. :niceone: