PDA

View Full Version : SPOT Satellite Messenger

86GSXR
18th January 2009, 09:05
After Grub's tragic accident on the Forgotton Highway on November 8th last year a couple of us decided to investigate some means of communication seeing as the accident site was out of cell coverage and help took so long to arrive.

This is what we now have. Spot's initial test run has proved very effective.

http://gps.about.com/od/handheldgpsreceivers/fr/spot.htm

paturoa
18th January 2009, 09:44
The Twisting Throttle guy used it on his trip round merka and thought it was excellent.

http://www.twistingthrottle.com/America/HomepageAmerica.htm

I followed the links but it appears that the tracking detail is no longer on the maps.

mowgli
6th August 2009, 11:39
This is what we now have. Spot's initial test run has proved very effective.
I'm very close to purchasing one of these. Question: has anyone given thought to a notice so that if a stranger happens upon you unconscious they'd know a) that you had a spot, and b) what to do with it?

I'm thinking along the lines of a laminated card in my jacket pocket or the clear pouch of my tank bag but those may not be the first places people would notice. Perhaps a sticker on the back of the helmet would be better - along the lines of racers having their blood type on there. Something like "111 Emergency - I carry a satellite distress beacon". If you're unconscious they're likely to check your head area first and this message should get them searching your pockets, etc.

What do you reckon?

CookMySock
6th August 2009, 11:48
Something like "111 Emergency - I carry a satellite distress beacon". If you're unconscious they're likely to check your head area first and this message should get them searching your pockets, etc.Yes, as long as you DO actually carry one. If they can't find it because it aint there, they will be sitting on their arse thinking everything is sorted, when it aint. So you better not ever forget your beacon.

I don't know if I like it. A ride is about the ride, not the beacon. Maybe it would be ok if it was fitted to the bars or the packrack in clear view, and was unable to be removed from the bike, with a clearly visible "111 assist" button.

Steve

p.dath
6th August 2009, 13:46
Don't forget both major carriers have been busy rolling out new 900Mhz cell networks, which have a lot of extra coverage. You may find it is just a matter of upgrading to a newer phone that supports UMTS (instead of GSM) and you can take advantage of this additional coverage.

You can check out Vodafone's coverage here:
http://www.vodafone.co.nz/coverage/

I don't know where the "Forgotten Highway" is, or I could check for you.

mowgli
6th August 2009, 14:45
Don't forget both major carriers have been busy rolling out new 900Mhz cell networks, which have a lot of extra coverage. You may find it is just a matter of upgrading to a newer phone that supports UMTS (instead of GSM) and you can take advantage of this additional coverage.

That's a good point, but their coverage is weighted towards population so the more remote you are the less likely you are to have good signal (see attached VF coverage). Rugged terrain also reduces your chances of adequate signal. The places I ride tend to be remote and hilly so I rate my chances of encountering weak or no signal while riding as very likely. Sure, if I'm in coverage I will dial 111. If I'm not then one of these might save mine or someone else's life.

Skunk
6th August 2009, 15:36
I read the review at the bottom of the page and that put me off. Is it tailored to NZ? ie will it call the service centre in Houston if you hit 911?

jetboy
6th August 2009, 16:34
The Twisting Throttle guy used it on his trip round merka and thought it was excellent.

http://www.twistingthrottle.com/America/HomepageAmerica.htm

I followed the links but it appears that the tracking detail is no longer on the maps.
Yeah I followed Mike's adventures on the Twisting Throttle site too - that satellite tracker is bloody awesome as it updates your position every 10min (I think).

I strongly suggest checking out the website for entertainment value too - some of his photos and comments are magic!

merv
6th August 2009, 16:37
marks has been using one for a while I suggest you check out a few of his posts on it.

Like this thread http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=95617

jono035
6th August 2009, 18:16

You can check out Vodafone's coverage here:
http://www.vodafone.co.nz/coverage/

I don't know where the "Forgotten Highway" is, or I could check for you.

Your phone needs to be capable of UMTS at 900MHz, which is by no means the norm yet. Also, these aren't new sites, they're colocations of the old sites, so should be the same for coverage as 900MHz GSM (standard Vodafone phone).

Zapf
6th August 2009, 23:44
I was looking at one of these before. But end up getting a PLB. Due to the monthly / yearly charges and not knowing how well the "company" works. Check out their websites, its like some sort of private insurance service.

Edbear
7th August 2009, 09:23
http://www.safetyandrescue.co.nz/shop/SURVIVAL+EQUIPMENT/Emergency+Locator+Beacons.html

mowgli
7th August 2009, 09:48
http://www.safetyandrescue.co.nz/shop/SURVIVAL+EQUIPMENT/Emergency+Locator+Beacons.html
Good beacons but not quite the same thing.

The SPOT messenger is really a satellite pager that bridges to email and SMS. You create two messages (usually one I'm okay and one I' stuck) and set up to 10 email or SMS recipients for each. You can change those as often as you like or set up profiles (biking, hunting, driving, etc) with different messages and recipients for each as necessary.

The third message says I'm in trouble (editable) and gets passed onto the emergency services appropriate to your location. The message center also notifies up to two emergency contacts by phone. SPOT doesn't have a homing transmitter but all messages include your GPS location. Emails also include a link to google maps for convenience.

So don't think beacon, think pager/messenger and you'll have a better idea of what SPOT does.

Edbear
7th August 2009, 09:50
Sounds comprehensive. How does it compare cost wise in NZ? Seems quite cheap on the site for what it does in USD

mowgli
7th August 2009, 18:20
Sounds comprehensive. How does it compare cost wise in NZ? Seems quite cheap on the site for what it does in USD

I got mine from Hunting and Fishing for $350. There's a dreamer on Tardme offering them for over $400!! That buys the hardware, you then need to buy a subscription to the satellite messenger service. I went with the basic package which came to USD$115 for one year. That includes unlimited "I'm okay", "I'm stuck" and "Send a chopper" messages. Note, if you choose to send messages direct to SMS they're limited to 200 but if you send them to your_number@sms.vodafone.net.nz it counts as an email which is unlimited :Punk: You can pay another USD$50 for a route tracker option whereby it will record your location every 10 minutes - I didn't. You can also pay an extra USD$8 for a Lloyds insurance premium against the cost of being rescued - not necessary in NZ with ACC. So compared to a PLB.

For: Cheaper. Three levels of distress. Configurable (for different trips/users)
Against: No 121.5 homing signal. Annual subscription.

Zapf
10th August 2009, 22:53
update... apprently their emergency service based in houston is really useless.

mowgli
10th August 2009, 23:26
update... apprently their emergency service based in houston is really useless.

Among several good reviews I only found one bad writeup here. (http://gps.about.com/od/handheldgpsreceivers/fr/spot.htm) I've no idea who the writer is or what his motivation might be. The prices he quotes don't equate to any of the advertised hardware or service costs. He went camping with four kids and didn't tell his wife where he was going? My wife knows that there are many more people in the world than me and that if mine goes off then the most likely reason is that I've come across someone else in trouble. His wife "freaked out". The guy's clueless. So on balance I treated it as a one off. Besides I spoke to the SPOT help center with questions before buying and got no hint of a bad feeling.

If you've got other info I'd be keen to read it.

Zapf
11th August 2009, 03:29
spoken to a few guys in the private aero clubs and they hav had some issues trust and also technical ones. didn't remember the details.

mowgli
11th August 2009, 19:18
spoken to a few guys in the private aero clubs and they hav had some issues trust and also technical ones. didn't remember the details.
That makes sense. SPOT is completely unsuitable as an aviation beacon. No 406MHz. No 121.5 homing. Not picked up by COSPAS-SARSAT. No inertial trigger. Coverage is not worldwide. Probably not certified. Maybe other reasons?

The trouble locating the guy with four kids is entirely consistent with the SPOT being set off (albeit inadvertently) without a GPS signal (shielded somehow or upside down). GPS signals are very weak and easily blocked. The manual says the distress message will still go out but in that case your nominated contacts (his wife and business partner) will be called for information on your location. Eventually if/when the SPOT does get a GPS fix it will transmit the coordinates but the timing of that is entirely dependent on when the fix is achieved. He didn't know it was going off so it was probably a fluke that he moved or bumped the SPOT into a position where it could get a GPS fix. The 45 minutes could just as easily have been hours.

The trust/reliability issue is potentially concerning but I've not seen/heard much on that so far. I've used the messaging functions of SPOT and they worked, as advertised. The online interface is easy to use. I haven't had cause to use the emergency function. With luck I never will.

So far I am entirely satisfied with my SPOT and would recommend to other bikers.