PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me some good rides in the Auckland area!

EatOrBeEaten
18th January 2009, 17:52
And I realise how that thread title could be taken the wrong way ;)

I've got about a week before my new job starts and I'm keen to get out of Auckland and see some good countryside. I've been up to Piha and Huia, but the map isn't really a good indicator of rides that are interesting and have good scenery. I'm still on my L-plates so I'm trying to avoid the motorway where possible, but don't mind using it if I have to.

I also don't really know anybody here yet, so if you fancy coming with or even meeting up for a coffee then let me know...

Gremlin
19th January 2009, 00:41
And I realise how that thread title could be taken the wrong way ;)
Oh baby :blip:

Look up Whitford / Clevedon / Kawakawa Bay, maybe Kaiaua, but not sure what kind of distance you want to do, given you're still learning. Since you're in Mt Wellington, you'll avoid a lot of motorway riding for these rides, as they are out east.

Inland, look up Hunua, plenty of roads out the back of there to explore. If you so inclined, also look up Waiuku, its out the western side, and more roads, that you can link to from Hunua.

Unfortunately I work (like the odd person) so free time to show you around would be restricted to weekends...

LBD
19th January 2009, 03:00
Zero the trip meter and point the bike south, when the trip meter has gone around twice you will have reached the best rides around Auckland...

EatOrBeEaten
19th January 2009, 09:45
Oh baby :blip:

Look up Whitford / Clevedon / Kawakawa Bay, maybe Kaiaua, but not sure what kind of distance you want to do, given you're still learning. Since you're in Mt Wellington, you'll avoid a lot of motorway riding for these rides, as they are out east.

Inland, look up Hunua, plenty of roads out the back of there to explore. If you so inclined, also look up Waiuku, its out the western side, and more roads, that you can link to from Hunua.

Unfortunately I work (like the odd person) so free time to show you around would be restricted to weekends...

Sweet, will try and get out to Kawakawa Bay this week. Some of those routes look rather tasty! You going on any of the KB rides this week?

Zero the trip meter and point the bike south, when the trip meter has gone around twice you will have reached the best rides around Auckland...

;) I hear ya, heading to the mainland over Easter, it's a bit much to do when I've only had the bike a few days!

bikerboy011
19th January 2009, 10:15
I recommend going up north, i like the roads as they are big. When i get back to aucks i can always pm if i go some where, i will have to take it easy for the first month or so when i get back.

samgab
19th January 2009, 10:19
I was thinking of maybe going for a little ride today, if the weather settles down. Maybe. There are a few interesting places to ride, even within Aucks, like the volcanos, Mt Eden, No Tree Hill, etc, and the Museum/Auckland Domain, Albert Park, Mission Bay, North Head/Devonport...
A few good coffee places in some of those vicinities too.

Waxxa
19th January 2009, 11:56
Kaiaua loop, coro loop, mangawhai run, northland loop, port waikato, raglan...

ManDownUnder
19th January 2009, 12:34
Check out the routes for the Auckland Thursday night Ride (ATNR). about 70kms of fun roads, but it's also a good intro to the region/backroads North and West of Auckland so it'll give you ideas of places to stop and see, cafes along the way etc.

samgab
19th January 2009, 13:39
If anyone else is up for a little blat around Auckland this arvo, will be meeting in a few minutes, at about 3pm ish at Frolic on Manukau Rd, No Tree Hill...

Gremlin
19th January 2009, 16:06
Sweet, will try and get out to Kawakawa Bay this week. Some of those routes look rather tasty! You going on any of the KB rides this week?
Generally not, often busy (to be honest, you normally end up dragging a bike out of a ditch - it kinda ruins the day). May tag along on Toto's ride to Kai Iwi lakes, Botany Honda has a ride out to kaiaua on Thursday...

I'm not sure how long you have been riding, how many km have you have done, etc. You may want to avoid group rides until you have your skills up a bit more, as some are not for learners.

There are also rides that are specifically learner friendly, which are quite good.

EatOrBeEaten
19th January 2009, 16:13
If anyone else is up for a little blat around Auckland this arvo, will be meeting in a few minutes, at about 3pm ish at Frolic on Manukau Rd, No Tree Hill...

It was pretty good, cheers mate (and always nice to meet new people from here too!)

Generally not, often busy (to be honest, you normally end up dragging a bike out of a ditch - it kinda ruins the day). May tag along on Toto's ride to Kai Iwi lakes, Botany Honda has a ride out to kaiaua on Thursday...

Bike? Ditch? Oh dear...

There are also rides that are specifically learner friendly, which are quite good.

Well, the Kai Iwi is for us n00bs, looking forward to that one for sure...