PDA

View Full Version : Blue and White Suzuki

spookey
20th February 2005, 11:41
Down on the bridge on the way to Martinborough
Didn't get much of a chance to see anymore than that, ambulance and cops all there...Abt 11.30am this morn...

jimbo600
20th February 2005, 13:16
Down on the bridge on the way to Martinborough
Didn't get much of a chance to see anymore than that, ambulance and cops all there...Abt 11.30am this morn...

It's not me.

Saw a dude on a blue/white gsxr1000 K3 at caltex this morning at 10:00. Whoever it was I hope that they're OK.

spookey
20th February 2005, 14:20
The way the cops where looking at the bridge it looked like he hit the curved steel approach barriers.
Should'nt summise of course
Yes I hope he is OK, guess someone will come up with some news soon.
There where no other bikes parked so he may have been alone...

mangell6
22nd February 2005, 19:01
A guy at work was riding with them, the rider had just got back into riding bikes after several years off, 10+, and hit a Toyota landcruiser or similar. Too hot into the corner, stood it up and slammed side-on into the side of the toyota. Apparently the "other vehicle" being the innocent party was lacking a few things, road tax, WOF, Rego, and tread on all tyres. Rider is in Masterton Hospital with more than a dozen broken bones in his hand and bruising, his wife is really pissed at him as well.

750Y
22nd February 2005, 20:51
first up: hope the guy is ok,
secondly: what is it with all these guys who've been outa the game for all that time then think they're gonna jump on the latest machinery and go hard like the glory days, and end up way outa their depth?
they should just swallow their ego for a second & buy a medium power bike while they get their shit back together...
i know that'sounds harsh but am i wrong?

SPman
22nd February 2005, 21:13
You aint wrong!

Slingshot
22nd February 2005, 21:42
secondly: what is it with all these guys who've been outa the game for all that time then think they're gonna jump on the latest machinery and go hard like the glory days, and end up way outa their depth?
they should just swallow their ego for a second & buy a medium power bike while they get their shit back together...

It needed to be said!

scumdog
22nd February 2005, 21:47

Damn tootin' right, bloddy egos have cause countless disasters and an ego gets you nowhere and is the sign of an insecure person.

End of rant.

StoneChucker
22nd February 2005, 21:51
I know I'm the last one to talk about being hasty, but I don't see where the make/model/year of the bike was mentioned. It wasn't necessarily a new/powerful bike, it may have just been an unfortunate accident.

However, regardless of this instance, I agree with you 750Y. Someone out of the "game" for 10, or 20 years who used to ride a 1000cc sports bike, will get a slight shock if they jump on the 1K's of today! Not to mention that their reaction times are slower, and their eyesight may be worse.

Clockwork
23rd February 2005, 06:58
20 years away from riding...... I bought an SV1000s 12 months ago, commute between Wellington an Upper Hutt daily....... so far so good!!! :2thumbsup

When do I stop being a "Damn Born Again"? :spudwhat:

Paul in NZ
23rd February 2005, 07:27

I think thats just a part of it mate...

I stick with my old shitter because I LIKE to wind an engine out to the max ( in the lower gear and in control circumstances and on a private road of course....) And I'm as competitively minded and fucking stupid as the next bloke. Yes the red mist comes down but riding the LM2 keeps you in check a little. I be dead stupid and dangerous (followed by dead) on an open class bike... I know it!

I can't thrash a GSXR1000 because the bike is way to good for me (yes I know the bloody twist grip goes both ways) and I can't get close enough to the edge to satisfy my demon on a bike like that.

However, on an evil weird old moody shitbox like the Guzzi I can scare myself six ways to Africa at close to the legal limit. just starting some days is an adreniline rush. More fun than a randy bandicoot up the trouser legs. (add in a bunch of other reasons involving $$ as well here)

It's why stuff like RGV's and Suzuki Gooses etc are sooo much fun... Ya gotta ride the wheels off them.

Paul N

Sniper
23rd February 2005, 08:02

Dead right

Slingshot
23rd February 2005, 08:12
20 years away from riding...... I bought an SV1000s 12 months ago, commute between Wellington an Upper Hutt daily....... so far so good!!! :2thumbsup

When do I stop being a "Damn Born Again"? :spudwhat:

Hi Clockwork, couple of things...

1. It doesn't sound like you purchased the bike to satisfy the requirements of a mid-life crisis. The mere fact that you commute to work gives an indication that you're not in it just to boost your ego.

2. AN SV1K is a lovely bike, but it's not really in the same league as the GSXR 1K (not tiring to be rude).

Stoney...good point mate...could have been anything...GSXR400, GSXR600, GSXR750, GSXR1K, TL1000R.

TonyB
23rd February 2005, 08:29
One one my workmates is a biker in his mid 50's. A mate of his hadn't ridden for decades, and decided that it was time to start again. He wanted to buy the latest Fireblade (this is before the 1000 came out) because he used to ride something like a Bonnie in the 60s-70s so he wanted another 'fast bike'. My mate tried to explain the massive leap in performance from the 70's to the 00's, but just couldn't get through to him. Wonder if he's still alive?- I'll ask.

Clockwork
23rd February 2005, 08:40
.... AN SV1K is a lovely bike, but it's not really in the same league as the GSXR 1K (not tiring to be rude).

I realise this... no offence taken. :niceone:

Dodgyiti
23rd February 2005, 09:04

No, thats a great idea.
Perhaps dishing out a 650 boxer will learn them, and a course on braking and cornering at a racetrack too.
My mate had a go on my Honda after 10 years off the bikes, the last bike he had was a Honda 750/4. Had no luck explaining the difference between the two, and thought he would crash it before the end of my street.
Bloody well brought it back mint, damn, have to think of another way of didching it.

Mr Skid
23rd February 2005, 09:35
Bloody well brought it back mint, damn, have to think of another way of didching it.
Pick me! Pick me! Pick me!

2_SL0
23rd February 2005, 11:15
I havent taken my training wheels off yet. The GSXR and R1 give me the sh$ts.
Im well aware of what they are capable of, and well aware of what IM NOT. lol.
All good things take time, I dont see the rush to jump on a 1000cc sportsbike, it will only scare the crap out of you.

Timber020
23rd February 2005, 14:46
I met a guy in a bar in new york who was waiting for his new bike to arrive the next day, a new fireblade with a bunch of go fast bits on it, he had an american bike license (which is as easy to get as a lecture from a jehovahs witness) and said the last time he rode was when the prolink xr200 had come out (he said he had been on a bike a dozen times so was quite confident).
I asked why not get a 600 and he said that he had ridden an xr500 and didnt think it would be fast enough for the highway.
Man I just felt like I was having a conversation with a dead man.

I wonder if hes still alive?

Lias
23rd February 2005, 14:54
which is as easy to get as a lecture from a jehovahs witness

I laughed otu loud at that one :-)

TonyB
23rd February 2005, 15:41
I wonder if hes still alive?
Found out that the guy I referred to is very much alive- but then he never got around to buying a motorcicle of any kind. I guess it should be possible to buy a rapid bike if you're a learner and survive- it's all in how far you twist the right hand grip after all, but then a modern 1000 will leave most 'fast' cars well behind without ever going above about 5k rpm.

Dutchee
23rd February 2005, 19:29
Friends were over from the States a few years back, doing a tour of NZ. We were talking about laws & how we're restricted on cc's when learning. They told us of a friend of theirs who went out & bought an R6. He promptly crashed it so took it back to the shop to trade for an R1. He reckoned the R6 didn't have enough to get him out of the poo he'd gotten himself into. And yes, this was a learner - not a born again. Don't know if he's still alive, either.

Coldkiwi
24th February 2005, 11:52
The average american doesn't seem to be able to get past 'bigger, better, faster more' no matter what they're talking about. Bikes/Cars/trucks/planes/guns/parties/wars/hamburgers... and most of the time it ends up killing them or destroying something else.

And they wonder why the rest of the world can't relate to them!!

White trash
24th February 2005, 12:07
Before we all jump on the "Born again/Gixxer 1K" band wagon, the dude was riding a GS1200SS is my understanding.

This being the case, I don't think you could find a better "born again" bike.

The corner in question has caught out a hell of alot of bikers over the years including a close personel friend of mine. He was unfortunate enough not to survive it and he'd been riding/racing bikes constantly for 20 years.

crazylittleshit
24th February 2005, 12:12
The bike was a GS1200ss and It went into the front of a toyota landcruiser not pretty. (That corner can be tricky at the best of times).

StoneChucker
24th February 2005, 21:07
Thats kinda what I said in my first post! Sheesh, you lot are a lynching mob waiting to happen! :lol: