PDA

View Full Version : Right hand turns under 40km HELP!

Leyton
19th January 2009, 21:10
Why the heck do I have trouble turning right handers! Its like I am too scared to just get on with it or something. My left handers are natural, my right handers seam forced.

Is this kinda natural ? Is there some phycological theroy behind this madness ?

I have the same problem on my little minibike too.. Anything above 40 and its no worrys, the job gets done as well as the leftys.

My theory is that I am better at searching my left rather then the right for imediate objects in built up areas like dogs, cats, balls etc.. and when it comes to a right hand corner I am still concerned with whats going to T me on the left hand side. Who knows :P

Cheers in advanced :)

lostinflyz
19th January 2009, 21:17
look through the corners i find. often youll find your gaze is off looking at those things that may kill you and not where you going. ive had the same trouble with left handers on the road and righties on the track. dont go forcing things if your not comfy. just take it easy and itll come with time.

but just get comfy on the bike. dont try to hard and rem. to look where your going.

fireliv
19th January 2009, 21:24
When you go to turn right, do you move to the left hand side of the road to make your turn? Or do you stay on the right hand side? That would account for you thinking left handers are easier because you are already in a good line for taking the corner.

Good luck sorting it. This was something I used to do.

OutForADuck
19th January 2009, 21:24
Could it be that your leaning onto the throttle? Below 40kph it makes a real differnce but above you have more throttle on and it doesn't.

Driving through the corner rather than coasting is very important.

To counter this try a lower gear for the corner as riders I have helped that were doing this were always in too higher gear.

Leyton
19th January 2009, 21:25
I think you are right on the money there, its what I had been thinking too. Looking where I want to be smooths things up all the time, but I am still very carefull about crossing over the center lane to turn right hehe

What I mean by forced is the look, Put the tick in the box and corner. I do it the check much easyer on the leftys then the rightys and it fowls me up whilst being unsure even though there is nothing there...

More riding might be the cure :)

I rode tonight and found this more to be a problem

Cheers :)

Leyton
19th January 2009, 21:26
When you go to turn right, do you move to the left hand side of the road to make your turn? Or do you stay on the right hand side? That would account for you thinking left handers are easier because you are already in a good line for taking the corner.

Good luck sorting it. This was something I used to do.

I start it about in the middle so I am not to confuse the traffic, With the lefts I start on the left and finish in the right

Leyton
19th January 2009, 21:30
Could it be that your leaning onto the throttle? Below 40kph it makes a real differnce but above you have more throttle on and it doesn't.

Driving through the corner rather than coasting is very important.

To counter this try a lower gear for the corner as riders I have helped that were doing this were always in too higher gear.

I drive through it at the same speed :) I did on purpose quite a few right handers to make sure I was getting it perfect to eliminate that tonight.

I corner in 2nd as I find 1st a bit too slow and I find 2nd alot smoother in and out.

Sometimes 3rd if it is a larger sweaping corner with a good camber

Jantar
19th January 2009, 21:31
I can't explain a difference in right hander vs left hander in this respect. However as your speed drops counter steering becomes less effective and you have to start using body weight to lean the bike, and at a particular speed (varies for different bike/rider combinations) you will find that you actually have to steer into the bend rather than away from it. This is the natural speed of your bike above which it rides normally. On my GS1200SS this speed was around 41 kmh, and on the Vstrom its around 33 kmh.

At around this natural speed for your bike, you will find that you still counter steer to enter the turn, but that there isn't sufficient gyroscopic effect to maintain your angle of lean, and you have to start turning the front wheel into the turn to hold it. At lower speeds you will be steering into the bend and leaning with your body weight. It is possible that the corners you are having trouble with are the ones at the cusp of your bikes natural speed.

fireliv
I start it about in the middle so I am not to confuse the traffic, With the lefts I start on the left and finish in the right

I ride in the right hand side of the road (where you should be). When I approach a left, I stay in the right so that I can see as far round the corner as possible, take the corner and finish somewhere in the middle. When taking a right hand, I move to the left for the same reasons and finish somewhere in the middle.

My understanding is that it gives you the best line of sight?

smoky
I had the same thing, but it may not be you – in fact I bet it isn’t you, it’s either the bike set up or the tyres

If the back wheel isn’t aligned it can drop the bike in differently one side to the other, if the front forks are out – same thing
The front tyre can wear differently depending on how you set up and corner on the open road, some people brake harder into left hand corners for some strange reason and wear one side of the tyre more than the other, after a while the different wear on one side of the tyre can start mucking you up on slow speed corners.

I’d get the bike checked, tyres checked, by someone in the know

Leyton
19th January 2009, 21:32
I can't explain a difference in right hander vs left hander in this respect. However as your speed drops counter steering becomes less effective and you have to start using body weight to lean the bike, and at a particular speed (varies for different bike/rider combinations) you will find that you actually have to steer into the bend rather than away from it. This is the natural speed of your bike above which it rides normally. On my GS1200SS this speed was around 41 kmh, and on the Vstrom its around 33 kmh.

At around this natural speed for your bike, you will find that you still counter steer to enter the turn, but that there isn't sufficient gyroscopic effect to maintain your angle of lean, and you have to start turning the front wheel into the turn to hold it. At lower speeds you will be steering into the bend and leaning with your body weight. It is possible that the corners you are having trouble with are the ones at the cusp of your bikes natural speed.

I guess if I am starting tooo close to the right hand side of the road I am going in with much less speed then if I was on the very left. So the Gyro or laft of effect is a bloody good point... Cheers!

Leyton
19th January 2009, 21:35
I had the same thing, but it may not be you – in fact I bet it isn’t you, it’s either the bike set up or the tyres

If the back wheel isn’t aligned it can drop the bike in differently one side to the other, if the front forks are out – same thing
The front tyre can wear differently depending on how you set up and corner on the open road, some people brake harder into left hand corners for some strange reason and wear one side of the tyre more than the other, after a while the different wear on one side of the tyre can start mucking you up on slow speed corners.

I’d get the bike checked, tyres checked, by someone in the know

Good point to consider :) I will see if I improve following the advice here before pointing finger at me bike :)

I was pissing around tonight testing this theory acually hehe, hanging off one side to shift my weight and counterstearing to keep the bike inline.. not the best thing to do in the street hehe but I wanted to see how it felt on either side. The bike felt well balanced from either side taking into account the slight camber on the road.

carver
19th January 2009, 21:37
i am your local mentor.

il show ya how its done

Leyton
19th January 2009, 21:39
Summary in this order of points to try :) Cheers all for very quick advice!

Start the righty from the lefter side of the road whilst not to confuse traffic, Do this every time!
Try checking the hazards alot sooner and be sure sooner it is safe to cross the center line
Look down where I am turning

Leyton
19th January 2009, 21:40
i am your local mentor.

il show ya how its done

Thank god! See you at the pub :) Wednesday right ? hehe

lostinflyz
19th January 2009, 21:40
Good point to consider :) I will see if I improve following the advice here before pointing finger at me bike :)

I was pissing around tonight testing this theory acually hehe, hanging off one side to shift my weight and counterstearing to keep the bike inline.. not the best thing to do in the street hehe but I wanted to see how it felt on either side. The bike felt well balanced from either side taking into account the slight camber on the road.

just be careful shifting to much on the bike. if your having trouble without moving at all youll often find shifting weight makes things feel worse. i suggest you find a nice quiet road that you can practice on (i.e. learn the corners.) and find a way to be relaxed and work out ye troubles.

lostinflyz
19th January 2009, 21:42
Summary in this order of points to try :) Cheers all for very quick advice!

Start the righty from the lefter side of the road whilst not to confuse traffic, Do this every time!
Try checking the hazards alot sooner and be sure sooner it is safe to cross the center line
Look down where I am turning

dont look down. look through the corner where your going. where you look is where you go

Leyton
19th January 2009, 21:44
I dont have to shift for the corners, the right speed and the counter drops me into it normaly.

It would be good if someone could follow me and see if I am shifting without realising it though.. maybe I shift for left all the time.. and not for the right thus find it difficult this way ? Who knows :P

I have exactly the same issue on the minibike not just the road bike its real weird hehe.

Leyton
19th January 2009, 21:45
dont look down. look through the corner where your going. where you look is where you go

I mean down the road where I am turning into :) Hehe sorry. If I looked down I would probably end up in the drain on the curb :P

Squiggles
19th January 2009, 21:47
Are you sighting using the solid line on the right side of the road or the center line?

martybabe
19th January 2009, 21:50
Mate I'm lost, do you mean corners/bends or turning into another road. Positioning is very different for both maneuvers. I ask because you mentioned crossing the centre line, so I assume you mean turning at a junction ?

Leyton
19th January 2009, 21:55
Mate I'm lost, do you mean corners/bends or turning into another road. Positioning is very different for both maneuvers. I ask because you mentioned crossing the centre line, so I assume you mean turning at a junction ?

I am refering to any time you have to cross the center line to turn 90 right. The biggest trouble I have is at T intersections and a right hander

Squiggles
19th January 2009, 21:58
I am refering to any time you have to cross the center line to turn 90 right. The biggest trouble I have is at T intersections and a right hander

Ignore my post above, thought you were talking about cornering on the open road

Leyton
19th January 2009, 21:59
Are you sighting using the solid line on the right side of the road or the center line?

Right hand track from the center line of the road I am turning into. Are you suggesting trying for the very right hand line on the right hand side of the road you are about to turn up ? hehe

I acually find around town most of the time it is obscured by those silly bush's in the middle of the road in Hammy so you cant always see it before coming up to the turn.

Leyton
19th January 2009, 22:04
Ignore my post above, thought you were talking about cornering on the open road

Ahhh in that case I am looking down the right hand side of the road for cars and I slowly start looking to the right hand track on the left side of the road.

Its just at slow speeds I have issues, I think I have enough to try from all the responces I have recieved tonight :)

The big ones are position on road before I turn, Searching alot sooner to give me enough time to be happy that there is completely nothing that will cross my path, bikes, pedestrians etc.. and always looking down the road I am turning into.

I think I just need to try and try and try. And have some one watch me do it an vs versa. I nail leftys though! hehe, Oh and funny enough I dont have problems with round abouts btw! Nothing coming from my left, mostly might right! I am %70 sure its a safety thing.

McJim
19th January 2009, 22:08
It's inexplicable.

I have been on 2 wheels on the open road since around 1978 in some form or another and I have NEVER been comfortable on right handers at ANY speed. So much so that if I am turning the bike round on an empty piece of tarmac I will do a U turn to the left.

I can go round left handers until the cows come home and I feel comfortable leaning the bike over waaay more to the left. I look through the corner and take a comfortable line every time on a left hander but if I look through a Right hander I take it too tight and end up turning too soon - therefore I have developed the habit of breaking up right handers into little pieces and not looking through the corner at all. this gets me round without cutting the corner.

I've tried to cure this but the more I think about it the worse it gets.

Weird huh?

martybabe
19th January 2009, 22:20
Ahhh in that case I am looking down the right hand side of the road for cars and I slowly start looking to the right hand track on the left side of the road.

Its just at slow speeds I have issues, I think I have enough to try from all the responses I have received tonight :)

The big ones are position before I turn, Searching a lot sooner to give me enough time to be happy that there are completely nothing that will cross my path, bikes, pedestrians etc.. and always looking down the road I am turning into.

I think I just need to try and try and try. And have some one watch me do it an vs versa. I nail lefty's though! he, Oh and funny enough I don't have problems with round abouts btw! Nothing coming from my left, mostly might right! I am %70 sure its a safety thing.

It's all good bud, a lot of folks have given you info on taking bends as opposed to turning into another road. Don't for heavens sake turn right from the left of your lane.

Turning right into a new road; approach in the right wheel track of your lane and look to enter the new road at about the middle to right wheel track of your lane. I wonder if you're finding yourself heading to cut the corner and re-adjusting your line . It's impossible to tell from here, you really should get an experienced rider to accompany you mate.

Leyton
19th January 2009, 22:30
McJim, So I am not the only one!!! hehe thank goodness :) But I am determined to beat this deamon! hehe

And yeah an accompanyed ride sounds like the plan! :)

Nite all :) Cheers a ton! No doubt you will see my on the open road :) I can be identifyed as the only one with the L plate whilst doing 100..

MSTRS
20th January 2009, 07:52
I have NEVER been comfortable on right handers at ANY speed.

I've tried to cure this but the more I think about it the worse it gets.

Of course, the sound of a pipe scraping the road wouldn't help. On a strange bike an'all. Eh, Jimbob???

Headbanger
20th January 2009, 07:57
Weird huh?

yes.

The Stranger
20th January 2009, 08:03

Now I'm confused.
What confusion are you creating by starting your right bend from the left?
How does this confusion impact you?

Leyton
20th January 2009, 20:05
The problem would be confused body language on the road before I turn right to those cagers hehe

I will run with using the left tyre to turn into the lane and see how it feels :) I was going to go out tonight but I ended up mowing the lawn! Yeah it was getting quite high :/

prettybillie
22nd January 2009, 14:27
Why the heck do I have trouble turning right handers! Its like I am too scared to just get on with it or something. My left handers are natural, my right handers seam forced.

Is this kinda natural ? Is there some phycological theroy behind this madness ?
:)

You're not the only one. Both times I've come off the bike has been on a right hand corner........there is a theory behind it, I just can't remember what it is. Just keep practicing :yes:

Richi
22nd January 2009, 16:28
You're not the only one. Both times I've come off the bike has been on a right hand corner........there is a theory behind it, I just can't remember what it is. Just keep practicing :yes:

Is it left hand corners that are harder to left handed people? or right corners for everyone? I come off on a righty i freaked out "going too fast" i wouldve been able to get an extra 20kmh if it were a lefty and comfortably take it...

CHOPPA
22nd January 2009, 16:36
Not sure if its been mentioned cause i couldnt be bothered reading haha but to make you bike stable on slow u turns etc try dragging your back brake you will be amazed how well it works ;)

Richi
22nd January 2009, 17:44
Not sure if its been mentioned cause i couldnt be bothered reading haha but to make you bike stable on slow u turns etc try dragging your back brake you will be amazed how well it works ;)

Whilst accelerating slightly aswell?? Thats a good tip! :sunny:

The Stranger
22nd January 2009, 17:59
Is it left hand corners that are harder to left handed people? or right corners for everyone? I come off on a righty i freaked out "going too fast" i wouldve been able to get an extra 20kmh if it were a lefty and comfortably take it...

Right handers tend to be more open (and longer) than lefts so one should in general expect an easier time on rights. That said, right hand corners are sometimes off camber, can't recall a left being off camber yet.

Leyton
22nd January 2009, 18:00
Hehe wow! Must be some theory behind it :) Cheers

Howsie
22nd January 2009, 18:12
I remember learning to ride a pole-ski, i could corner right ok but couldnt go left very well. I think it has something do with with wether you are left or right handed which i also believe you will balance better going one way or the other.

I have since overcome that and have no problems turning either way now, though sometimes those real small roundabouts do my head in.

As mentioned it will be easier if you drag your rear brake while giving it a bit of gas. The secret here is to keep the rear tyre loaded instead of coasting around. Same goes for tightening corners on the road, helped me out a few times already!

Howsie