PDA

View Full Version : BMW and Aprilia in tie-up talks

Bob
20th February 2005, 22:23
BMW said it is in talks with Aprilia about the possibility of teaming up production efforts.

A spokesman said negotiations are underway concerning joint development and production, particularly of new models in segments in which they are not currently active. He stressed that nothing has been signed yet.

Aprilia was saved from closure when it was bought by Piaggio in late 2004. A joint production initiative, like the one between Kawasaki and Suzuki, would reduce running costs.

moko
21st February 2005, 01:56
I`m suprised this hasn`t come earlier as the F650 was built by Aprilia.bit odd though to shift production of the newer 650 "in house" THEN tie in with Aprilia.Aprilia make some great bikes but I`m sure there are a few with reservations still about italian build quality,hopefully being tied-in with BMW will allay those fears and see them sell a few more.

Bob
17th March 2005, 01:09
BMW and Aprilia have successfully completed talks regarding renewed collaboration of development and production. Production is due to take place in the Italian Aprilia plants and will provide BMW with the opportunity to move into new segments of the motorcycle field.

Dr. Herbert Diess, Head of BMW Motorrad, said: “This is a further extension of BMW’s motorcycle range. Models of the existing single-cylinder series (F Series) are not affected by these considerations. Among other things, we see in this cooperation a key contribution to the reinforcement of the European motorcycle and supply industry.”

Dr. Roberto Colaninno, Chairman of both Piaggio Group and Aprilia explained: “The agreement with BMW Motorrad confirms Aprilia’s reputation and technological and design capabilities. For us, it is a further significant step in the recovery process of Aprilia as one of the most important motorcycle brands and manufacturers in Italy and Europe since its acquisition by Piaggio.”

NB. From 1993 until the end of 1999, Aprilia built the first generation of the extremely successful single-cylinder F650 for BMW Motorrad. Production of the successor model was then moved to the BMW Motorrad plant in Berlin.

Coldkiwi
17th March 2005, 16:56
so hopefully, BMW MIGHT actually learn what the terms 'sports bike' and 'style' mean?

I know that italian machinery in general has been tagged with "reliability issues" but most publications I've read and shop talk I've heard has painted a very good picture of Aprilia's build quality - much better than Ducati or MV for instance.