PDA

View Full Version : Mandrel bending?

WolfCollared
22nd January 2009, 21:33
Can you get around this without using a mandrel benender? If so how?

Or wheres the best place to get custom pipes?

Madness
22nd January 2009, 21:36
Depends where you might be, when you're not "on the road" that is.

Welcome to the site.

Warr
22nd January 2009, 21:43
Can you get around this without using a mandrel benender? If so how? ....
Try packing the pipes with dry sand and weld them closed. You may still need some sort of a former to bend around but heat in the right places should bend without collapsing the pipe :)

WolfCollared
22nd January 2009, 21:46
Got a pipe bender, but its the standard hand pump the hydraulic to bend...

Have read up about putting sand in the pipes, and heating them, but I dont know about this.....I guess you need the support on the internal side of the pipe to prevent it crushing, apart from sand any other options?

geoffm
22nd January 2009, 21:50
Pipe bender won't work on exhaust tube - it will crush it.
Buy preformed bends and cut-and-weld to suit.
Woolf Mufflers in AUckalnd sell them. Not cheap tho...

WolfCollared
22nd January 2009, 21:55
Pipe bender won't work on exhaust tube - it will crush it.

What if the inside was reinforced lol?

imdying
23rd January 2009, 09:29
You can just get stainless mandrel donuts and chop them to suit. You've no location info on your profile so hard to give better advice.

bungbung
23rd January 2009, 09:39
You can use a suitably dimensioned tension spring inside to stop the pipe collapsing, still good to use some heat.

Preformed bends easier.

TLDV8
27th January 2009, 23:21

Try http://www.finda.co.nz/business/listing/y4m5/tube-bending-ltd/

I have always got great service there and they are walk in off the street friendly.
I think it was Kerry who i used to deal with,he gave me a great deal on around 10 custom order 50mm stainless bends in 1mm wall last time i was there. (2007)

imdying
28th January 2009, 07:51
Best thing to do is to mock up you want out of a piece of steel tube, crappy bends and all, then send it to Autobend. They'll run it through a 3D scanner, then use a CNC mandrel bending machine to replicate it in one piece of stainless. Ring them first, there are minimum distance between bends and radius restrictions.

rok-the-boat
8th February 2009, 19:11
I used to work in a steel factory with an incredible machine shop. I once watched them bend a pipe by putting a thick spring inside - not unlike a bike rear suspension spring. First though, you have to weld something across the last coil - a thick bolt or something - and then once bent you have to fix it in a good vice and unscrew the coil from the pipe with a long lever, and in a direction that coil-tightens the coil, not the opposite. It worked well, but if not heated up to red the pipe might crack.

Kittyhawk
28th February 2009, 22:15
Fill with sand and seal the pipe ends, heat and then bend...:niceone: