PDA

View Full Version : YZF1000 Thunderace transmission?

BigG
25th January 2009, 06:59
Do I have to strip the motor down to get at the transmition cos I have got a horrible clunking from the transmition. I think it's from the trans, I,ve checked chain and sprockets but under load I can hear the clunking, it's not from the motor. I can put the bike on the padock stand and run it in first and there is a slight clunking noise then as I apply the back brake to put a bit of load on it gets louder. Any seriuos comments welcome, Did this at the last track day.

DEATH_INC.
25th January 2009, 07:08
Yeh, I'm pretty sure the Yammy's (the FZR did) have some of the crankcase bolts under the cylinder block. Is this clunking in 2nd? They were real bad for farking second gear.....:doh:

nallac
25th January 2009, 07:20
its a split the case jobby with the early R1's ,which also wear out 2nd gear dogs.not sure if the fzr the same..

BigG
25th January 2009, 12:08
Yeh, I'm pretty sure the Yammy's (the FZR did) have some of the crankcase bolts under the cylinder block. Is this clunking in 2nd? They were real bad for farking second gear.....:doh:

Seems to be in all gears so I think it's in the drive axle maybe the second wheel gear has done a tooth. Won't no untill I strip it. Thanks anyway, major task ahead eh!

Mark Pav
27th January 2009, 00:08
You will need to remove the cylinder head and barrells as there are definitley two crnkcase bolts under the cylinder barrells. These MUST be undone to split the cases. The coomon fault in these gearboxes was that they would round off the 2nd gear engagement dogs and then jump out of gear bending the relevant selector fork. Also check the outer clutch basket as it is not unknown for these to break a finger off. You will need to get a TORX drive for 3 6mm torx head bolts that have to be undone to split cases.

BigG
1st February 2009, 13:52
You will need to remove the cylinder head and barrells as there are definitley two crnkcase bolts under the cylinder barrells. These MUST be undone to split the cases. The coomon fault in these gearboxes was that they would round off the 2nd gear engagement dogs and then jump out of gear bending the relevant selector fork. Also check the outer clutch basket as it is not unknown for these to break a finger off. You will need to get a TORX drive for 3 6mm torx head bolts that have to be undone to split cases. Thanks for that I was hopeing not to to have to take the barrells off.