PDA

View Full Version : Restoration project

Motu
25th January 2009, 22:32
The R65 has great under seat storage - the very good BMW tool kit,plus all my other stuff....and puncture repair kit,tyre levers,first aid kit,cable lock,hip flask....and room for more! But I still need a little more,and not under the seat.I guess I will get a tank bag soon.

But up on the roof beams I saw my old throw over saddle bags.I got these in the late '70's from the Hog Farm in Onehunga....they used to make one to take 1 gallon tins back in the fuel rationing days,but I got these smaller ones.They were a light brown,almost pink and I used them every day.When I didn't take the bike and walked to work (on Waiheke Island) I just threw them over my shoulder....that's also what I did when I parked the bike.

They haven't been suitable for the adventure bikes I've been riding the last 10 years....footpegs to far to the rear,and the boots get tangled up with them.So they have sat under a bench,and when I built my new shed I just tossed them over a beam.The had almost turned pink again,and were so hard and brittle I thought they might crack.A good scrub with saddle soap,and four doses of saddlery oil applied with a paint brush,then a finish off with a light soft wax....some repairs,and they are back in service.Quality never dies.

I thought I should also show you what I found in the bags when I pulled them down - my old fur lined gauntlets.I found these in the middle of the Mt Wellington Highway one day...pretty choice find I thought! They were very warm back in the day,but the lining in the fingers will need ripping out - should still be good gloves though.

Max Headroom
26th January 2009, 12:29
It's a beautiful thing when a plan comes together.....look forward to seeing the R65 soon, Motu. :woohoo:

Motu
26th January 2009, 20:44
When I first rode the R65 I didn't think it was a bike I could live with - but now I know it was just waiting for me to find it.I am more comfortable and confident on the bike everytime I ride it,I feel a real connection to how it works.Not a cantankerous old classic,but something real to use in the real world.

I have been lucky on TM this week - got the big Clymer manual for $20,and the Haynes for $15.When I went to pick up the Haynes manual he let me pick through a cardboard box,and got an oil filter,disc pads,carb diaphrams and a couple of big spanners for the top fork nuts.Lucky I decided on a pick up rather than freight.

PS...the stands arrived from ChCh with many problems,and I installed the Atlas on saturday.

Max Headroom
26th January 2009, 21:57
Funny how it goes... airheads are an acquired taste.

Good to hear the stands arrived! Another plan that came together!

classic zed
1st February 2009, 10:34
When I first rode the R65 I didn't think it was a bike I could live with - but now I know it was just waiting for me to find it.I am more comfortable and confident on the bike everytime I ride it,I feel a real connection to how it works.Not a cantankerous old classic,but something real to use in the real world.

I felt like that when I bought my Z1300's, I had never ridden one but always wanted one. First time I sat on it and could only touch the ground on tip toes (Im vertically challenged) I thought "why the hell did I buy this monster" but the more I ride it the more comfortable I get with the flexy wobbly frame.

Everywhere I park it people want to talk about it I will probably never sell it, the grin factor of the 6 cylinders winding up and the low down torque is enough to make me ride it for many years to come. :2thumbsup

The new project however promises to be even more fun:banana:

caseye
2nd February 2009, 16:32
That would bed the tubo'd jobbie we saw at the shop late last year?
man that baby's going to fly, nice to see you guys.Hey Classic Zed, go read the BTFP thread mate,we're riding again!