PDA

View Full Version : EBR Race Report PAEROA '05

Kwaka-Kid
21st February 2005, 22:25
In one word, Paeroa was AWESOME:spudguita

I loved it, bike was at its usual, ZXR400's literally pulling into the distance and shit those motards literally blew me into the weeds the whole way down the front straight no matter how hard i tryed to push into the hairpin to get out the fastest. Basically my only advantage was (after a good close look at the track, and it being pointed out by Advisor-Andy) the back straight and finding the smoothest line down it as to set my wobbly suspension up for the kink, and then to outbrake people coming into the hairpin (though i certainly dont consider myself a gun on the brakes something really worked there on the day!).:banana:

Unfortuantly in the first race with 3 laps to go i got a touch out of shape loosing control of the front exiting the only left, prepping to dive into the right, I think i pushed the bike up too fast for the suspension, but anyways went swinging a wide and fast line into the right hander to come onto that back straight and FUCK me a massive wollop to the under/right rear side of my bike! (rear wheel i think) lost control of back end and she quickly went down to dip but something cought and i immediatly picked her upright and smashed down a gear gave the clutch flick and some weird bumpy stuff coming from the suspension, and out of my left eye i saw a bike slide passed behind me but all of a sudden i was off down the back straight again 3 positions back from where i was. 3 laps to go and i knew the bike was hit hard and power was feeling a touch down for some reason, along with some newly found rather stiff rear suspension... striving on anyway in true eh boy style i cought 1 position back quickly and with 1 lap and 1 corner to go i realised amounst other difficulties i was fighting i had lost use of my clutch? it was all floppy with about 5mm of travel right at the bar, oh well, good thing honda put that Slipper clutch in the viffer from standard, as i went to outbrake and tuck under Craig (48-GSXR400) in the hairpin the rear got a little out of "tune", it didnt quite happen but the massive gap was closed by now and with a perfect exit from the hairpin i only lost minor ground by the end of the front straight, then heading into the first corner of the last lap he braked a little too much, despite being on the outside almost passing up the opportunity i just cought notice of it, swung to the right and tucked under his right knee and over the hill we went with my front wheel leading. Kept it that way right untill the final straight when i saw they waved that OH so Familiar blag/orange flag at me, i just looked back to realise the massive amounts of blue smoke coming from my rear! I could only think the worst that maybe shed blown from damage done in that hit, but still i rode her into my pit where i only realised the extent of the damage after getting off the bike (along with the rest of the crew!). This is where for a change i stepped back, had a drink, and let the Eh Boy Mod-Master followed by many enthusiasts do their work. :apint:

I say suspension no work… they rip smashed up muffler from it.

I say Exhaust no work… they say drink coke(and repair the smashed muffler with coke cans and duct tape!).

I say clutch no work… they tear fairings down and adjust the bottom cable bolt htat had come loose.

I say tyre missing left hand edge… they say "we file 25mm off the right hand edge to match?"

I say somebody else race!... they say "get #^$*ED)

Which brings us to race 2.:yeah:

The start was mediocore with the only problem being there seemed too many bikes for the narrow track so it was hard to find a hole to carry me from the 3<SUP>rd</SUP> row forward. I wound up behind the same ZXR400(32) I had the previous race, loosing ground on the front straight and thru the left hander(tyre issue!) managing to dive under it 3 times into the hairpin before being left behind on the front straight, then again coming underneath it into turn 1 but loosing faith in rubber and giving way coming over the hill… the best opportunity arose with 2 laps to go when I outbraked it good enough to hit the hairpin with 1 lap to go ahead, hoping that I would have enough distance to make up for him passing me later down the straight but me having enough to dive into the first corner ahead… but after ripping in the clutch to shift up into 2<SUP>nd</SUP>, engaging the gear and whacking the throttle back on out of the hairpin she launched for a second then spat back down into neutral. It was depressing. Right there and then after giving it one blip of the throttle in pure frustration by the time id gotten my foot back under the shifter to this time literally kick it up into 2<SUP>nd</SUP> id not only lost my chance on the ZXR but also to the motard that had gotten passed me a lap before on the backstraight (Which id outbraked before the ZXR). As frustrating and unexciting that final lap was I did try to keep my head high and planned a final attempt at a dive into the hairpin with a rush to the finish line but taking it easy in the only left hander due to serious lack of rubber on left side, despite slipping a touch, meant I lost more time there then I was capable of bringing back elsewhere.:angry2:

It was a dull note for me to finish on in a way but overall it was wicked! I stayed upright despite destroying a perfect shiney Carbon/Kevlar muffler, and taking a massive side on whack I would honestly of never though I could ride through. And it was a feel-good day with all the support of Family, Friends, KB’ers, and just fellow motorcyclists and soon-to-be motorcyclists.

Now for the thanks, it is sincerely appreciated.

Putoline(used everywhere possible!), Twin Air, Pro Grip, Dad(everything!), Team EBR(you know who you are and what you did, amazing!), The Tennents(thanks for the tent, beer, food, and drive home!), KB’ers(photos, help working on bike, advice, Support!), And just everybody who helped make my day!, it was wicked!

curious george
21st February 2005, 23:33
Yup, well done to you KK! Never give up, 'eh?
Got a few pics for ya...

sAsLEX
22nd February 2005, 07:55
Sounds as though you had a wicked day KK, hopefully be there to watch the next time you are racing.

What?
22nd February 2005, 08:09
Yet another great write-up, KK. :niceone:

Riff Raff
22nd February 2005, 08:14
Thanks for the write up KK. You did well out there considering that incident! Wonder if they'll show that on telly???

Motoracer
22nd February 2005, 09:13
Woohoo, go Logan!! :)

You gotta be proud of that effort mate, well done indeed and a cool write up too. :niceone:

svs
22nd February 2005, 09:26
way to go. Wish I'd been there....... see ya next year :wari:

Hoon
22nd February 2005, 09:47
Good stuff dude!! Sounds like you had a real good time. Yeah #32 is the guy with the green ZXR400SP and it is REAL fast down the straights. At the last Taupo race he blew by me on the straight like I standing still in every race!

Unfortuantly in the first race with 3 laps to go i got a touch out of shape loosing control of the front exiting the only left, prepping to dive into the right, I think i pushed the bike up too fast for the suspension,

Did the front kinda come off the ground and go twitchy sending you straight ahead? If so this happens to me a lot too from like you say - changing direction too fast. I fix it by dropping my forks to put more weight on the front. Throwing your weight around less or leaning forward also has the same effect (but easy to forget in the heat of the moment).

erik
22nd February 2005, 17:18
Nice writeup Logan :niceone:

Sensei
22nd February 2005, 17:29
Top effort by the sounds .wish I could have been there to see . A++ :apint:
SENSEI

SPman
22nd February 2005, 17:30
Great write up, Logo. Good to see you and your merry bunch getting in to it.
:niceone:

Kwaka-Kid
22nd February 2005, 19:03
Did the front kinda come off the ground and go twitchy sending you straight ahead?

THAT IS EXACTLY IT! i cant explain it properly and i was going to say i did a wheelie thing but i couldnt believe that in 2nd gear my bike wheelied on power.. but yes exactly as u describe it it floats up and touches/skims giving u the shakes and heading u forward.

and unfortunatly ive already dropped the front end as far as i can, any more and the front wheel will smash the radiator as it comes up on the NC30's :(

And thanks everybody for the positive feedback.

Two Smoker
22nd February 2005, 19:11
Wicked write up Logo :niceone:

I definately think you need to ride a 250GP bike or a F2 bike.... That or sell your Viffer, and go back to being a real "kwaka"-kid and buy a ZXR400....

magnum
22nd February 2005, 21:16
on ya,good writeup :apint:

FROSTY
22nd February 2005, 22:07
onya logo. Wish I'd been there but then theres always next year.
I'm definitely gonna be there fior the rest of the club series

Kwaka-Kid
23rd February 2005, 05:47
cheers,

Wish i could make it to them Frosty but recent budgeting doesnt quite stretch enough to make another race too soon. The beast needs tyres now (half the rear is missing), and the other bike has a nail in its tyre (fine for going to work and back just pump up each day, no good for 200kmph racing). So things could be better! but you never know.