PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Paeroa 19-21 Feb

LB
22nd February 2005, 05:24
The weather forecast was perfect!

Departed Lower Hutt 6.45am Saturday morning, me (M800), Hamish (GS1200SS) and a mate Bruce (Daytona).

An uneventful ride (read: boring as shit!) up SH1 to Sanson, where we stopped at the Church Cafe for a leisurely brunch. It was a little cool up to that point, but sitting on the deck in the sun soon warmed us up. Onwards to Wanganui for gas, lovely warm weather by now, just a few puffs of cloud in an otherwise blue sky.

Up the Paraparas - a great ride through there, Bruce blasted past us (as we knew he would) and waited for us a Raetihi, where we had a drink and a chat. Met a couple of guys from Wanganui who were heading to Paeroa - a Honda CX Custom and a bloke test riding a ZXR1200 (I think it was that model). The mountains had a bit of cloud cover, but it was still a lovely day. Onwards through National Park/Taumaraunui to Te Kuiti - not much traffic, it was a really great ride.

Stopped at Te Kuiti at the BP/Cafe. Fuel for both the bikes and us. Quite a few other motorcyclists there, and a couple of our racing mates from Hawera pulled in to gas up the car.

From there onwards it got a bit busier traffic-wise, but still a good day to be on the road. We were heading to Morrinsville, to stay at my Dad's. Seven kms short of M'ville I was in the lead and Bruce behind me, Hamish at the back (that was our formation for most of the trip). Bruce and I got past four cars, Hamish didn't come with us. Hamish had seen the bronze Maxima parked on the opposite side of the road. Bruce and I hadn't. To cut a long story short, two tickets were issued for 125kpm, $170 and 35 demerits. Bruce got an extra $200 fine for no current rego. It was a "pursuit", he didn't use his radar on us, hence our detectors didn't go off (I have always said they are only an insurance, it's my own fault for not being observant). We stopped on the side of the road in the hot sun for some time, as the officer had made noises that if he saw Bruce riding his bike he'd ticket him again for no rego.

Anyway, we finally got to Dad's, and got into our civvies. Borrowed his car and went to scruitneering and to show Bruce the track - he'd not been there before. Hot as hell, it was good to be out of our bike gear.

Sunday morning we headed over to Paeroa early, got there around 7.30am. Lots of activity. The heat wasn't too bad in the morning, but in the afternoon it was very hot. However, there's quite a bit of shade around and about the track, so it was good. We walked the track but decided the hairpin was the place to be, so spent a lot of the day there.

Met up with a few KBers - KK, MR, Nicko, Affman, Flame, Sparky Bills. Saw a few other KBer's shirts on the other side of the track from time to time.

Had a bit of a wander round some of the bike parks - some really neat bikes.

A really great day's racing. Stephen Briggs is amazing on his motard - the reason he got blackflagged for backing it into corners is they were told at riders briefing that they were only allowed to back it in during the Supermotard races, not during Formula 3 races, and he was doing it in F3.

Headed home tired and not too sunburnt thanks to some shade, a hat, and copious amounts of sunblock.

Left Morrinsville early as on Monday morning, and stopped at Taumarunui for brekkie and for Bruce to renew his rego. Mosied (sp?) on down through National Park, then turned off and went through Ohakune to Waiouru and down SH1. Stopped at the Church cafe in Sanson again for lunch. Cruised the rest of the way in the traffic and got home early afternoon. Superb weather the whole way, excellent views of the mountains. Makes you realise what a great country we live in.

All in all, it was a great weekend. Some good riding on excellent roads. Only spoilt by the tickets, but they were our own fault and, at the end of the day, considering the kms per year we do (about 25,000kms on the bikes alone) and the speeds we do, by law of averages we must get caught sooner or later. Shit happens.

Motu
22nd February 2005, 06:53
What!? they blackflagged Briggs for backing it in!? what a bunch of tossers - I guess that's why he did it,if he was told not too.

750Y
22nd February 2005, 07:05
What!? they blackflagged Briggs for backing it in!? what a bunch of tossers...

i reckon...

sAsLEX
22nd February 2005, 07:52
Hamish had seen the bronze Maxima parked on the opposite side of the road. Bruce and I hadn't. To cut a long story short, two tickets were issued for 125kpm, $170 and 35 demerits. Bruce got an extra $200 fine for no current rego. It was a "pursuit", he didn't use his radar on us, hence our detectors didn't go off (I have always said they are only an insurance, it's my own fault for not being observant).

So how did he confirm your speed??? Did he turn around and follow you in a "pursuit"??

LB
23rd February 2005, 04:45
So how did he confirm your speed??? Did he turn around and follow you in a "pursuit"??.
Yes, he did a u-turn and overtook firstly Hamish who was at the back of the four cars. He cut in really really close in front of Hamish, then put his lights on and overtook the four cars with oncoming traffic that had to move right over into the gravel to avoid a head-on with him. We will definitely be writing in about the manner in which he chased us. So we reckon he got our speed when he was accelerating overtaking the four cars. He didn't follow us for long at all.