PDA

View Full Version : Motarding Wannabe!

SeppoDave
27th January 2009, 19:51
Woo-hoo! Lining up an unsuspecting sportbike in T5!

Is everyone signed up for Taupo on 27Feb? More motards please!

Quasievil
27th January 2009, 20:01

I will be there but aint a wannabe, well assuming the bike survives Paeroa I will be there put it that way

kezzafish
27th January 2009, 21:22

nice shot, did'ya take him dooooown?
My bike survived Desert storm so i didn't make it up to have a look at your last one. I've got a wee idea about buying the 5speed and the rims so i can double purpose my dirt bike. But the DRZ has to sell first. one day... one day

GaZBur
28th January 2009, 07:40
Sorry to be a spoilsport but that second pic is not good for us. When four of us Dunedin motards rode in the support class at the nationals at Levels one of the Canterbury officials warned us that the roadrace commissioner was there watching us and to keep our feet on the pegs or we will probably lose the right to riding in mixed classes again.

Devil
28th January 2009, 08:49
Sorry to be a spoilsport but that second pic is not good for us. When four of us Dunedin motards rode in the support class at the nationals at Levels one of the Canterbury officials warned us that the roadrace commissioner was there watching us and to keep our feet on the pegs or we will probably lose the right to riding in mixed classes again.

Just a trackday mate.
I'll be down there in Feb. If the bike hasn't sold that is.
Will be the first track day for me on that bike so i'll be bumbling around a bit I think figuring out how to best ride it! Group 3 for me!

scorry
28th January 2009, 09:03
ok i am not havin a dig, just my 2c

have your tried riding it like a road bike, i mean it looks wicked to have your foot out, but i found it is faster on a big track to hang off the bike, which means you can have the same lean angle but way faster corner speed.

give it a go and if ya dont like it then swap back, no biggie

its awesome fun takin down the road bikes with only around 50hp ay lol
good stuff mate

AlBundy
28th January 2009, 15:26
If I want to ride a bike like I'm on a road bike, I'll take my road bike out...

If I want to ride foot out and be a hooligan, I take my motard out.

Last time I looked, this was a motard section... Why all the 'road style' questions?

Devil
28th January 2009, 15:34
If I want to ride a bike like I'm on a road bike, I'll take my road bike out...

If I want to ride foot out and be a hooligan, I take my motard out.

Last time I looked, this was a motard section... Why all the 'road style' questions?

The powers that be are getting snotty at race meets about motards riding in the other classes with the foot out style. They were removed from F3 for that reason (safety related, the completely different lines). They've been allowed back in, but they've gotta ride road style.
Track days are all cool, and Motard races are all cool, but if you're sneaking into bears or whatever other class your tard fits into, you've gotta check the regs...

GaZBur
28th January 2009, 15:47
I'm not trying to tell anyone how to ride. Just pointing out the fact that this year were are allowed back into F3 on Motard bikes providing we can ride in a compatable style. MNZ have told us that we have a year to prove that we can ride with other bikes. If you ride motard style in F3 or other mixed classes then MNZ will probably ban us again like the case was last year. Ride any style you like, I don't care but don't stuff up the chance we now have to ride mixed classes. Even in the Motard races at Teretonga, Levels and Ruapuna I have been to recently nobody puts their foot out, some backing in does occur but not in any exagerated way. Street circuits and Kart tracks are different and suit the more radical motard styles better.
All I am saying is that anyone backing into a corner and taking down a bunch of F3 bikes is pretty much guaranteed to stuff it up for the rest of us.

Quasievil
28th January 2009, 16:02
To Date I cannot see how having ya foot out makes you go faster, only reason to stick it out is if the lean angle is so extreme your foot may get in the way (trapped between bike and track) most foot out riders I see dont have that lean angle, if anything it upsets the balance of the bike and is 9/10 a waste of time.

On the matter of foot out in mixed classes it is a stupid issue that sportsbike purist officials seem to cling on to like a bunch of tossers, a Foot out in anycase is out the front tucked in beside the front wheel............a Knee out on a sportsbike is out the side(mostly or at least 45 deg to the bike), I would strongly argue that a knee out is more invasive in a racing line than a foot out.

I find that sportsbike riders and officials just DONT LIKE motards...fuck em I say:2thumbsup

SeppoDave
28th January 2009, 16:03
I appreciate that Gaz. I won't be racing anytime soon, but I am aware of the new regulations that motard racers may soon face in F3.

Being a relatively new convert to motard, I have experimented with both styles and found that for tighter corners and quick direction changes nothing beats being on top of the bike, foot out or no. Hanging off one side and then trying to hang off the other side would soon see me lose my advantage.

I'll give you the long sweepers could go either way, and in turns 8 & 9 you'll see me going back ot my old ways.

Cheers

Quasievil
28th January 2009, 17:21
Just for your interest here is me learning a certain GSX1400, I have come from racing sportsbikes and still have some of this in my riding style but It seems to be converting slowly.The Motard in front had a foot out on every corner, no advantage whatso ever (not criticsing cause that what might work for him) he wasnt in front for long tho lol

AlBundy
28th January 2009, 21:56
I'm going to call you on the style Quasi.

Watch the Wanaganui footage. The front runners had a decidedly trail style.

Once again, it's down to what works for the rider...

I'm sure there are pics all over the net of people outriding others, using different styles, to justify their arguments...

Now, I can understand the different lines issues with the race guys but the foot-out thing would be rider preference...

As for being faster than the guy on the Honda... You may just be faster and style may have very little to do with it...

Racing is about fun. Maybe some of these guys are out there to improve their styles, because that is what they want to do... Even at the expense of lap times... I certainly didn't buy a 'tard to be faster up a piece of road, I bought it to have fun at lower speeds and get out of shape...

I just don't get the whole road style on a motard thing... (with the exception of F3 blah blah blah...)

OH YES, SEPPODAVE, YOU NEED TO KEEP YOUR ELBOWS UP...

kezzafish
28th January 2009, 23:06
i'd have to agree with Al on the rider preference tip. I try to keep my feet on cos it feels coool skidding without flailing my lanky legs about but on some corners (especially ones where i know my line will take me over a man hole cover) i hang it out cos it makes me more comfy. I watched the wangas race live and thought the front guy (aprillia) kept his feet glued to the pegs? but i was a bit pissed

EXCDirt
29th January 2009, 19:44
I'll be attending my first trackday next thursday on the Rmz at Taupo. It's a redline event and has a separate motard class so should be fun. It's on the long track so the straight bits will be a bit boring....(wheelie practice?) But that infield bit looks quite fun.
What style to ride>???!? Foot out, foot down or turn til something bad happens.

GaZBur
29th January 2009, 21:49
I'm going to call you on the style Quasi.

Watch the Wanaganui footage. The front runners had a decidedly trail style.

Once again, it's down to what works for the rider...

...I just don't get the whole road style on a motard thing... (with the exception of F3 blah blah blah...)
Not so much what works for the rider but what works for the corner. Wanganui is a street circuit. Street circuits can suit motard style due to bumpy uneven surfaces, uneven surface traction, right angled corners, slow speed corners. If however you put your foot out or try backing in at an open track like Teretonga everyone will just lean in and pass around the outside of you. Kart tracks are the best place if you want to try motard style as you get to back in on a predictable surface at speeds suitable to the stye.
Not that I am a fast or expert motard rider - but I do notice what the quick guys are doing as they pass me!

AlBundy
30th January 2009, 03:18
Fair enough on the high speed stuff...

scorry
12th June 2009, 07:45
just seen this in another thread (not my pic) perfect contrast in styles, both look pretty fast

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=131600&d=1244610891

t3mp0r4ry nzr
12th June 2009, 13:45
check out the knee down, arse out style of Xaus. Perhaps he may do better racing motard than superbikes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i5sqcZXrXI&feature=PlayList&p=25F627FC0274DE72&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=28