PDA

View Full Version : Honda SS50

talbertnz
28th January 2009, 07:43
Hi all,
Just trying to find out if there are any people around that have old mopeds!
I've got a 1973 Honda SS50 wich is sitting in a neighbour of my parents shed at the moment.
I've had it since i was 16. We where still living in holland then we moved to NZ in 2001 and took the ss with us.
My dad had one when he was young and then i got one two. Mine is 3 years older than his was :yes:
We completly restored it when i first got it and I rode it heaps, to school etc.
As you might know you are only aloud to ride a moped when you turn 16 and can get your car or mbike license when you turn 18, thats why mopeds are so popular in Eu/Holand, a lot of people would have had one.
I've got a '96 Suzuki DR650se now that i just rebuild and thoroughly enjoy riding. (I usualy hang out in the adventure forum)
I'm planning on getting my SS50 up here in aucks sometime soon and do some work on it and get it road legal and not sure yet but might put 110cc- 153cc under it and other faster stuff to make it into motorbike.
Its not been registered in nz yet, not sure what the proces is there..
Let us know what you think and if you know what the procedures are to get this thing riding on nz road. (I'm dead keen to take it around east cape one day)

Here is a photo: http://s402.photobucket.com/albums/pp109/talbertnz/th_SS50_2.jpg
(not sure why i cant put pic here...)
cheers, Talbert.

hmmmnz
28th January 2009, 19:48
i was looking at bringing my bikes back from europe when i recently came home,
your bike being under the nz 60cc wof rule should get away with not having to comply with the braking regulations,
although you'll no doubt still have to jump through a few hoops with the vtnz
basically if you just give them a ring and explain the situation, they'll tell you what you have to do to get it vinned for use on nz roads.
have fun