PDA

View Full Version : F**KING TXT SPAM - Weather from 97884

ManDownUnder
28th January 2009, 13:25
A friend of mine (no - really - it's NOT me) somehow subscribed to weather forecast texts charged at 39c a pop, complete with $1.00/weekly charge and she just can't unsubscribe.

They come from 97884, arrive at 7:00am every morning and stop alerts, stop texts, unsubscribe, ringing Vodaphone customer service and every other expected course of action required to cancel them doesn't work. Has anyone else out there suffered from this - know anything about it and/or able to do anything? Hints or pointers appreciated.

Absolute solutions paid for in beer

R6_kid
28th January 2009, 13:33
Have you tried just texting 'stop'?

ManDownUnder
28th January 2009, 13:34
Have you tried just texting 'stop'?

yes - and it didn't work.

R6_kid
28th January 2009, 13:35
Actually try this...

http://forum.vodafone.co.nz/index.php?showtopic=881

:2guns:

ManDownUnder
28th January 2009, 13:40
Actually try this...

http://forum.vodafone.co.nz/index.php?showtopic=881

:2guns:

Just got a note saying that appears to have done the trick.... we'll know by 7:30am tomorrow morning. If it has - there's a beer in it from me as promised.

Dave Lobster
28th January 2009, 20:44
If it doesn't work, PM me, and I'll send you the email address of someone at vodafone that will get it stopped. :)

cs363
28th January 2009, 20:54
http://www.nerve.com/CS/blogs/scanner/2008/05/16-22/homer-simpson-beer.gif

McJim
28th January 2009, 21:03
The other sure fire way is to get a new phone number.

R6_kid
28th January 2009, 21:15
Bloody Scotsman, always in with their cheap advice :blink:

Gremlin
29th January 2009, 00:17
Bloody Scotsman, always in with their cheap advice :blink:
Hardly cheap if you have to txt everyone the new number... silly scots not thinking far enough ahead :lol:

Stirts
29th January 2009, 11:57
A friend of mine (no - really - it's NOT me)

we'll know by 7:30am tomorrow morning. If it has - there's a beer in it from me as promised.

So did you receive your 7am morning weather txt?

ManDownUnder
29th January 2009, 12:12
So did you receive your 7am morning weather txt?

LOL... no - really - it is a friend of mine - and I've sent an email to find out...

hellnback
29th January 2009, 12:58
I had a similar thing happen sent them this message via their website:

"I keep getting a message from the number 99020. It is a message from Vodafone saying I should buy some music by going to... eg: http://go.live/kingsofleon
I have been all over the vodafone website, I've called the helpline twice yet I still get this message. Wouldn't be a problem but I don't get one when I have no credit, just a "you do not have enough credit to recieve a chargeable text service"!
So basically I'm getting charged by Vodafone just to get a text message trying to convince me to spend more money??
All I want to do is cancel whatever it is that's sending me these messages. I have tried replying "STOP" & "UNSUBSCRIBE" but neither have worked, I have visited the web address in the messages but there is no unsubscribe button there either.
What am I doing wrong, surely it shouldn't be this hard. The last time I rang the helpdesk they told me to reply Stop to 8866 - which I did and ring 888 and it'd tell me if I had any services subcribbed, after 10 mins of flicking through menus I still couldn't find that part of it and gave up.
My number is 021######. Please help, this is driving me insane. I'm almost tempted to get a new number as it seems that it'd be easier to ring every single person and business that I know and get them to change my number than it would to cancel this one annoying chargable? txt!
Anyway, rant over. Any help you can give me will be much appreciated."

And they replied back with:

"Thank you for your email and I apologize for the delay in response.

I can confirm that the subscription has been removed from your account.

As a goodwill gesture, I have credited your account $5 for the hassle that you have been through.

If you still receive the subscription messages, please respond to this email so a job can be logged.

Thank you for your patience and have a good day.

If you have any further questions please reply to this email, call our Customer Contact Centre on 777 from your Vodafone mobile, or 0800 800 021 from any other phone. From overseas you can contact us on + 64 9 355 2007.

Yours sincerely"

Sweet.