PDA

View Full Version : No more new SV1000 into NZ?

mattian
28th January 2009, 14:03
One of my favourite pastimes is browsing through www.bikepoint.co.nz at all the dream machines that I can't afford. I was checking out Suzuki's SV models and in the little blurb it says that Suzuki are no longer importing brand new SV1000's into NZ. This is the last year you can get a hold of a brand new 2008 model. Anyone know what the deal is with that? why?? :( ??

Cajun
28th January 2009, 14:09
One of my favourite pastimes is browsing through www.bikepoint.co.nz at all the dream machines that I can't afford. I was checking out Suzuki's SV models and in the little blurb it says that Suzuki are no longer importing brand new SV1000's into NZ. This is the last year you can get a hold of a brand new 2008 model. Anyone know what the deal is with that? why?? :( ??

heard something like emision laws killed it, was also rumour that suzuki was relasing another v-twin sports bike(not sport tourer), but with ecomic down turn might be on back burner a bit.

dipshit
28th January 2009, 14:21
This is the last year you can get a hold of a brand new 2008 model. Anyone know what the deal is with that? why??

Actually it's 2007 models that they are running out.

Maybe they are going to release a new V-twin sportsbike when all the SV stock is sold out.

Maha
28th January 2009, 14:29
Never mind, it will probably end up on the 'ugly list' anyway...:whistle:

imdying
28th January 2009, 15:00
Combination of emissions and poor sales killed it overseas... we like em here cause they're cheap and dirty. One other thing is that the trend has moved back towards the IL4 again. No word yet on either Honda or Suzuki producing another big twin, but it's not surprising, they've really never had a lot of success at them, despite building some neat models.

Ixion
28th January 2009, 15:18
And yet, Suzuki are continuing the V-Strom 1000 - which is the same motor as the SV.

And Honda are continuing the Varadero, likewise.

slofox
28th January 2009, 15:22

Hehehe...yep. I have to say that even as an SV owner, I reckon they are somewhat less than beautiful....despite the fun I have on it.

Still don't reckon you can beat that V-Twin note though.....

twotyred
28th January 2009, 19:28

hope springs eternal

Jacko2
28th January 2009, 19:38

Oi!!!:bash:

Maha
28th January 2009, 21:42
Oi!!!:bash:

Was 'take of the piss' Jacko, saw the ugly bike list the other day and the SV was on it....yours is lovely and so is Grahameeboys :whistle:

Morcs
29th January 2009, 09:17
No great loss suppose...
people will have to buy something else, and in doing so, realise just how bad the SV is, and an insult to a 1000 :woohoo:

lols

PrincessBandit
29th January 2009, 09:22
Yeah, noticed the lack of SV1000 on Suzuki's site when went looking for options for perhaps replacing the bandit. The SV is considerably lighter than the bandit, even the thou compared to my 650, which is one reason I was contemplating it. Saw that the SV made the ugly list hahahahaha (notice bandits were missing? ;)). Maybe I should just stick with mine since it's so purrty! (nothing shallow about me.....)

dipshit
29th January 2009, 09:59
No great loss suppose...
people will have to buy something else, and in doing so, realise just how bad the SV is, and an insult to a 1000

They mightn't have as much street cred as some other bikes around... but the SV can still be turned into a very capable machine with a bit of work.

A lowly SV won an 8 hour twin endurance race at Daytona recently beating many a newer "cool" bikes.

http://www.moto-st.com/schedule/results.cfm

And this was it winning the race in 2007 as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFgF8r4Zy1w

It would be a shame for the Japs to lose their V-twin sportbikes.

sugilite
29th January 2009, 10:09
I rode one into the Paraparas on a test ride, I found it to be very bland motor wise, with top heavy handling...though that could have been the tyres/pressures

_STAIN_
29th January 2009, 10:59
yip that all until 2010 when they dump a heap of canadian spec "new old stock" here.....

imdying
29th January 2009, 11:18
They mightn't have as much street cred as some other bikes around... but the SV can still be turned into a very capable machine with a bit of work.

A lowly SV won an 8 hour twin endurance race at Daytona recently beating many a newer "cool" bikes.Mmmm, recently an SV650 tucked a number of other flash bikes in a 3 hour endurance race in the UK... including a 1098 :msn-wink:

SuperDave spent years cleaning up in AMA against things like GSXR750s, Dukes etc. Nothing special on his bike either, just knows how to ride it.

Morcs
29th January 2009, 11:29

It would be a shame for the Japs to lose their V-twin sportbikes.

I totally agree.

I just see it as a shame that suzuki decided to make it a lower end bike - less performance, inferior suspension etc..

I would quite happily go buy an SV1000 tomorrow if it performed like a TLS, and had good suspension.

imdying
29th January 2009, 11:54
I just see it as a shame that suzuki decided to make it a lower end bike - less performance, inferior suspension etc.. I'm not sure that giving it rotary dampener suspension like the TL would be an improvement :puke: Definitely not inferior...

As for the motor... well, has the power (http://www.motorcycledaily.com/070103side1.jpg) where I use it...

Morcs
29th January 2009, 12:39
I'm not sure that giving it rotary dampener suspension like the TL would be an improvement :puke: Definitely not inferior...

As for the motor... well, has the power (http://www.motorcycledaily.com/070103side1.jpg) where I use it...

wasnt meaning the SV has inferior suspension to the TL, im just meaning generally - ie. its poo compared to my RR.

imdying
29th January 2009, 12:53
Well you'd hope the extra six grand went somewhere... :rolleyes:

Mikkel
29th January 2009, 14:00
Mmmm, recently an SV650 tucked a number of other flash bikes in a 3 hour endurance race in the UK... including a 1098 :msn-wink:

Mmmm, recently an SV650 tucked a number of other flash bikes in 3 different classes at the streetraces in Greymouth... including F1 :msn-wink:

Sorry for almost copying your post :)

imdying
29th January 2009, 14:05
Yikes... did you see his seat? Were there indents from the riders oversize nuts?

dipshit
29th January 2009, 14:33
One very successful bike in NZ indeed!

Mikkel
29th January 2009, 14:38
Yikes... did you see his seat? Were there indents from the riders oversize nuts?

I don't actually think he was pushing that hard, at least he maintained a comfortable lead most of the time so noone there to breathe down his neck...

Jacko2
29th January 2009, 14:47
Mine suits me and your all ugly!

The Stranger
29th January 2009, 14:54

Shit, didn't realise the SV came out with USD forks. Obviously Morcs is talking shit again.

Morcs
29th January 2009, 15:03

Shit, didn't realise the SV came out with USD forks. Obviously Morcs is talking shit again.

It didnt.

Ive never studied one close up, but Id say they came out with a conventional damping road fork with only preload adjustment.

imdying
29th January 2009, 15:05
Shit, didn't realise the SV came out with USD forks. Obviously Morcs is talking shit again.I don't think he mentioned the SV650? The 650 has damper rod, and 2 piston sliding calipers, so they biff the front end for the cheap and cheerful GSXR front end, which gives them four piston calipers and cartridge forks, which is more suitable given it started as a commute before it became a race bike... at a guess, they did it for safety?

pritch
29th January 2009, 15:48
So if this is what's replacing the SV650, is that some kind of an indicator as to what might replace the 1000?

With apologies to the copyright holder of course...

AllanB
29th January 2009, 18:39
So if this is what's replacing the SV650, is that some kind of an indicator as to what might replace the 1000?

I hope not. I'd say NO due to the above mentioned reasons for the SV1000 being discontinued. There has not even been a tasty concept bike to hope for.

BTW those silver bits of frame on the new 650 in the picture are actually fakes - they are covers only!

Regarding the comments re 'budget'. Based on the price of the SV1000 over the past couple of years ($12500 give or take a couple), its been very good value.
And the suspenders must be capable for most as the first mod is a grand on slip-on mufflers.

I've seen a very tidy looking one in Christchurch with a under-tail muffler :niceone:

imdying
29th January 2009, 18:44
I've seen a very tidy looking one in Christchurch with a under-tail muffler :niceone:The word is that the home made muffler has been replaced by a sexy little triple muffler setup, complimented by a carbon undertray/batterybox and heatshield! :shifty:

AllanB
29th January 2009, 18:50
The word is that the home made muffler has been replaced by a sexy little triple muffler setup, complimented by a carbon undertray/batterybox and heatshield! :shifty:

Now we are taking! Pictures please - did not see any in your profile.

I've an idea for my Hornet that's a bit different from the standard cans but it's going to require some saving after getting a estimate recently.

Mods are good!

imdying
29th January 2009, 18:56
Well, I can tell you who the right people to talk to are if it helps... lot of loser tradesman in this country that simply can't deliver :(

jrandom
29th January 2009, 19:05
The SV650 is a super-sweet bike which history will vindicate as a classic.

The SV1000 is a pale shadow of the mighty TLS; it doesn't handle like it should, and the engine's far more suited to the V-Strom.

Fatjim
29th January 2009, 19:15
The SV1000 is a budget bike at a budget price. Well worth the money, but don't expect it to work like a 18,000 or 25,000 dollar bike.

AllanB
29th January 2009, 19:26
Well, I can tell you who the right people to talk to are if it helps... lot of loser tradesman in this country that simply can't deliver :(

Cool - sent a e-mail as you don't appear to have a PM option!

imdying
29th January 2009, 19:30
The SV1000 is a budget bike at a budget price. Well worth the money, but don't expect it to work like a 18,000 or 25,000 dollar bike.That's exactly it! Gives you a whole lotta dollars to spend on modding though :D Depends what grinds ya gears :) I want a standard bike like I want a dose of AIDs... even if that bike was an RC8, would still be another standard off the rack model.

rocketman1
29th January 2009, 19:31
Yep, Call it what you like, beautiful or ugly, I couldn't care less I love my SV. and I'm sticking with it.
It is a sad day that there are no Jap 1000 V-twin sports being made any more.
I've had inline fours, You cant better a big V twin, I dont care what you say Big V twins have character that in-lines will never have. Jap or not
Imagine an inline Harley.. how uncool would that be the Bike is all about that V motor.
I will hold onto my SV1000, and if the japs dont make another I will just have to by another as well, like a Ducati , Aprilia, KTM or some other great bike with character.
I will just have to spend more....V twins Rule...... ok I do like GSXR's but imagine how much cooler they would be with a V twin motor

dipshit
29th January 2009, 19:45

The SV1000 is a pale shadow of the mighty TLS; it doesn't handle like it should, and the engine's far more suited to the V-Strom.

The 1000 has a basically good frame just like the 650 with with better suspension and stronger swingarm and brakes as standard. A 1000 can be made to handle just as well with some work. (i.e. http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/showthread.php?p=546563#post546563 )

The main problem is that they are set up for more touring than sports from out of the crate. Changing their geometry slightly significantly lightens the steering on a 1000 and makes them a lot more nimble.

But of course with only 110hp they aren't in the same league as 160hp bikes.

jrandom
29th January 2009, 19:50
A 1000 can be made to handle just as well with some work.

Well, that's true of most anything, innit.

But of course with only 110hp they aren't in the same league as 160hp bikes.

110hp? Luxury. My bike peaks at a fat 95.

jrandom
29th January 2009, 19:51
I do like GSXR's but imagine how much slower they would be with a V twin motor

Mm, true that.

dipshit
29th January 2009, 20:09
Well, that's true of most anything, innit.

If you road one in showroom setup, then yes they feel like bit of a river barge.

Ixion copied my setup on his SV1000 and had this to say afterwards...

http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24969&page=3

And this was without even spending a single dollar. (okay, maybe one cable tie)

jrandom
29th January 2009, 20:12
If you road one in showroom setup, then yes they feel like bit of a river barge.

Mm. GSX1400s are similar (not so much top heavy as wallowy) but mostly because the stock suspension only offers sufficient (and actually quite good - don't knock it till you've ridden it, etc) damping when all the settings (except rear rebound damping) are maxed out. And, of course, nobody ever does that unless they're told to.

Personally, though, I really like the SV650, and don't really see why anyone would buy the 1000 when the 650 is cheaper and awesomer and a much better platform to improve and customise from.

Unless, of course, its a cc/dick size thing. But I'm sure nobody around here has that issue. Ay.

Pussy
29th January 2009, 20:24
A winning-lotto-pipe-dream for me... a new SV1000S, Ohlins rear shock, Racetech G2R cartridges(we trialled a set of these in Gassit Girl's sem fiddy for a few weeks.... fuggin primo!), genuine Suzuki full fairing kit, and the Yoshi Japan mufflers, topped off with a well custom mapped Power Commander.
I still reckon the SV is one whole lot of bike for the money... shame there's no more after the current model

Buster
29th January 2009, 20:37
SV1000s are frekin awesome bikes. Spend a little time on setting them up and its a great ROAD package.
Will mix it with alot of sport bikes with the right rider.
Most people that knock them have never owned one.
Nice smooth wheelies.
Its a shame they dont make them anymore.
You gotta love the sound with race pipes :clap:

dipshit
29th January 2009, 20:39
Personally, though, I really like the SV650, and don't really see why anyone would buy the 1000 when the 650 is cheaper and awesomer and a much better platform to improve and customise from.

:brick:

For $500 more you get larger diameter fully adjustable forks, better brakes, beefier swingarm, fully adjustable rear shock... and a shite more hp and torque.

A 1000 can be made to handle just as good as a 650.! They are not that different a bike!

Someone that has raced both.. http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/showpost.php?p=546586&postcount=2

It is more of a street cred image thing. The 1000's do not have a race class they are competitive in.

jrandom
29th January 2009, 21:09
For $500 more you get tasty, tasty dipping sauce to go with the crispy, crispy chicken strips.

Sweet baby Jesus, my mouth is watering already.

:done:

imdying
30th January 2009, 07:23
I've had inline fours, You cant better a big V twin, I dont care what you say Big V twins have character that in-lines will never have. Jap or notI dunno... the ZX6R I had before hand had plenty of character... I would ride along letting it run down through 5k, then back up through 8k, all day, just to listen to the induction noise :scooter:

A 1000 can be made to handle just as good as a 650.! They are not that different a bike!They handle better than the 650 as standard.

I did find that proper suspension setup made an incredible difference to it... it was interesting just how bad I could make it feel by misadjusting it. Whilst I was initially setting the tweakers, I actually found one point in the road where I literally had to stop before even a km and readjust it, it just felt so arse. If you haven't played with the adjustment at all, I highly recommend recording your current settings and then playing with all of them... the difference between a good and bad setup is night and day :yes:

dipshit
30th January 2009, 07:35

How can the 650 be held in such high regard yet many look down their noses at the 1000 when they are virtually the same bike..???

dipshit
30th January 2009, 07:42
I highly recommend recording your current settings and then playing with all of them... the difference between a good and bad setup is night and day

Absolutely. And it's surprising (alarming!) how many people never come to grips with adjusting their suspension.

driftn
30th January 2009, 07:50

Good its a bout time. Over rated slow buckets of shit. Bring back the TL i say

dipshit
30th January 2009, 10:33
Unless, of course, its a cc/dick size thing. But I'm sure nobody around here has that issue. Ay.

No, that's what you get when people who owned TL's turns up and look down their noses at SV's because their TL had 15hp more.

jrandom
30th January 2009, 16:46
How can the 650 be held in such high regard yet many look down their noses at the 1000 when they are virtually the same bike..???

Because the 650 is lighter and more economical.

It fills a market segment that the 1000, by virtue of its size and weight, doesn't.

Sometimes, a bigger engine stuffed into what is, as you say, an almost identical bike, is bad.

The 1000's mojo would still have been salvaged regardless if the engine had been tuned further from the TLS base and turned into a crazy 999-eating motherfucker of a powerplant. Instead, Suzuki cut its balls off.

So, no good points left.

rocketman1
30th January 2009, 18:51
Absolutely. And it's surprising (alarming!) how many people never come to grips with adjusting their suspension.

Mate what changes have you made to to your suspension?
I have tweaked mine a fair bit, it seems to work fine for me but not having compared it to any other SV I'm not sure I have it so sweet as others?

Elysium
30th January 2009, 20:33
At the end of the day the Honda Firestorm sounds better, more power and bigger dick than the SV1000 :laugh: :banana::dodge:

**Sorry but biased towards Honda** :Punk:

Buster
30th January 2009, 20:41
At the end of the day the Honda Firestorm sounds better, more power and bigger dick than the SV1000 :laugh: :banana::dodge:

:

Nice troll mate :niceone:

Elysium
30th January 2009, 20:56
Nice troll mate :niceone:

Yeah, thought I'd just start a bit of a flame war before I go.

dipshit
4th February 2009, 09:28
Mate what changes have you made to to your suspension?

Softened the compression damping on the front and rear to make it less harsh and actually absorb some bumps. (more so on the front) Most of the instability it had went after doing this.

Raised the forks up through the triple clamps to quicken the steering and to get the thing to turn rather than feel like it wanted to run wide. ( see... http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/showthread.php?p=474075#post474075 )

Reduced the pre-load just a smidge on the rear shock (perhaps a 1/4 of a turn from memory) to give it a wee bit more static sag so the rear felt more planted and stable under brakes. (but not too much pre-load off or it would feel slows steering again)

Although it could be a lot better with proper fork springs for my weight (75kg) - at least it is a big improvement for me from showroom set-up.

I won't tell you exact settings as everybody needs to find what works for them... which could be different from one person to the next. And it seems some SVs come set up quite hard while others are set up quite soft from new.

It is just surprising when talking to people - how many have never touch their suspension settings at all.

rocketman1
10th February 2009, 19:45
Softened the compression damping on the front and rear to make it less harsh and actually absorb some bumps. (more so on the front) Most of the instability it had went after doing this.

It is just surprising when talking to people - how many have never touch their suspension settings at all.

Thanks very much for this, I may try moving the front forks through the clamps a few mm, Personally my bike doesnt run wide at all, even the fastest corners, lent right over, I can happily take the left hand of the bars to wave to other riders, no problems at all. It does however feel a bit harsh over bumps in the front suspension, so I might soften them slightly.
Its good to have so much adjustment on the suspension aye. I will just have to be careful to only move one thing at a time.

Burtha
25th February 2009, 11:06
Hope there is something 1000cc-ish and near naked as there isn't anything much now in their range between 650 to 1200cc. Besides the 750 katana -which are uncomfortable and few - the sv looked to be the ideal bike for my hubby and in our piddly price range ... here's hoping for something good!